Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught 17:23 - Apr 26 with 4101 viewsJules4367

In the post on Laird it is suggested that he is better/ preferred than Drewe.
I like the long throw in attack option with Dykes and Martin that Laird doesn't seem to give.
So should we attack attack attack and try to get goals or defend heavily and only try the break outs.

Personally, i would like Gareth to say ' go for the attacking option and if they score one, we score two but at least get a draw and try for the win. I fear though we will sit back and invite pressure!

Any thoughts as to his tactics?
Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 17:25 - Apr 26 with 3140 viewssparkey

Not sure if you've notices but Ainsworth is our manager, he doesn't understand the word attack, never mind attack attack attack.
Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 17:28 - Apr 26 with 3123 viewsdaveB

We'll play with 2 banks of 4, defend deep, try and waste as much time as possible and look to nick a goal on the break. I know we won at the weekend but this is still a pretty awful team and anytime we push large numbers of players forwards we get picked off easily

Keep tight, don't concede first and make sure we are still in the game with 10/15 mins left. If we can get out of there with a draw happy days
Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 17:46 - Apr 26 with 3062 viewsRangersw12

Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 17:28 - Apr 26 by daveB

We'll play with 2 banks of 4, defend deep, try and waste as much time as possible and look to nick a goal on the break. I know we won at the weekend but this is still a pretty awful team and anytime we push large numbers of players forwards we get picked off easily

Keep tight, don't concede first and make sure we are still in the game with 10/15 mins left. If we can get out of there with a draw happy days

I make you right

It's very depressing ain't it 😔
Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 17:59 - Apr 26 with 3020 viewsstowmarketrange

And then listen for the Reading v Wigan result before deciding whether to celebrate or bite the nails for another week.
Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 18:19 - Apr 26 with 2970 viewsBrianWilson

Does Drewe have a "long throw"? I'd say medium

"a diseased bunch of mofos if there ever was one, their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons." - Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 18:41 - Apr 26 with 2896 viewsdmm

Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 18:19 - Apr 26 by BrianWilson

Does Drewe have a "long throw"? I'd say medium

Last Saturday Laird was able to throw in a ball as long as Drewe
Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 19:02 - Apr 26 with 2831 viewsstevec

Defend defend defend, we’ve got to get better at this.

2 wins and a draw against the runaway top two, 3-2-1 against the 3 relegated clubs. We are not capable of taking the game to anyone.
Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 20:01 - Apr 26 with 2731 viewsstainrods_elbow

Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 17:28 - Apr 26 by daveB

I can't remember the last time we 'pushed numbers forward' to try to win a game. Burnley was brilliant, but, let's face it, we got lucky, even if we largely made/deserved our luck.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2023 20:06]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Login to get fewer ads

Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 20:10 - Apr 26 with 2751 viewsLogman

I would say to moreorless keep the same team and formation from last Saturday but to try to implement our second half tactics from the off.
Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 21:06 - Apr 26 with 2642 viewsManinBlack

All out attack would be foolish as we don't have the players to take the chances. Stoke went to Coventry and Sunderland playing counter attack and scored 9 goals in the two games. Clearly they have better players in front of goal than we have so we don't want to be wide open on the counter. I think we need to defend as if we are playing Burnley and hope to grind out a win. If we concede first we will be in trouble.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2023 21:06]
Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 22:27 - Apr 26 with 2523 viewswortonranger

My mate who's a Stoke season ticket holder thinks we only have to turn up to win! They are very fragile apparently.
Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 00:10 - Apr 27 with 2449 viewsNov77

Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 22:27 - Apr 26 by wortonranger

My mate who's a Stoke season ticket holder thinks we only have to turn up to win! They are very fragile apparently.

So a defeat for us it is then!

Seriously, after our magnificent run of one win in a row, I think complacency will set back in, and we’ll be back in ‘shitthebed’ mode.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 00:32 - Apr 27 with 2430 viewsSydneyRs

Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 21:06 - Apr 26 by ManinBlack

All out attack would be foolish as we don't have the players to take the chances. Stoke went to Coventry and Sunderland playing counter attack and scored 9 goals in the two games. Clearly they have better players in front of goal than we have so we don't want to be wide open on the counter. I think we need to defend as if we are playing Burnley and hope to grind out a win. If we concede first we will be in trouble.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2023 21:06]

For balance Stoke also lost at home to Wigan recently and have nothing to play for.
Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 04:50 - Apr 27 with 2369 viewsstowmarketrange

Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 22:27 - Apr 26 by wortonranger

So as long as we score the first 4 goals we might be ok for a draw then?
Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 07:33 - Apr 27 with 2291 viewsenfieldargh

Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 18:41 - Apr 26 by dmm

Last Saturday Laird was able to throw in a ball as long as Drewe

I think Laird's throw was actually a foul throw. one foot was a fair way off the ground.

I may have been seeing things

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 08:39 - Apr 27 with 2204 viewsE15Hoop

Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 17:25 - Apr 26 by sparkey

Not sure if you've notices but Ainsworth is our manager, he doesn't understand the word attack, never mind attack attack attack.

The man negotiates us a win at the home of the divisional champions - by very nature the toughest fixture on the whole list - playing some very decent football in the second half, and yet he still can't catch a break from some people on this site!

What is it you people actually want?? Don't you think he's looked at the squad and worked out what fits us best? On Saturday we defended, passed (OK, not very often, but effectively on the rare occasions that we did) and attacked as a unit.

We had five shots on target, more then we've managed for a while, but that clearly isn't enough for some people...

Let's all go back to Warbsball and have Dickie, Dunne and Dieng passing it between themselves, with no options up front, like we did for the whole of the second half of last season, shall we, since that was oh so successful..

Seems like a lot of people on here have very short memories..
Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 09:46 - Apr 27 with 2149 viewsQPROslo

Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 08:39 - Apr 27 by E15Hoop

The man negotiates us a win at the home of the divisional champions - by very nature the toughest fixture on the whole list - playing some very decent football in the second half, and yet he still can't catch a break from some people on this site!

What is it you people actually want?? Don't you think he's looked at the squad and worked out what fits us best? On Saturday we defended, passed (OK, not very often, but effectively on the rare occasions that we did) and attacked as a unit.

We had five shots on target, more then we've managed for a while, but that clearly isn't enough for some people...

Let's all go back to Warbsball and have Dickie, Dunne and Dieng passing it between themselves, with no options up front, like we did for the whole of the second half of last season, shall we, since that was oh so successful..

Seems like a lot of people on here have very short memories..

I'm one who thought we should have stuck with Warburton and still do, but for me Gareth can have us playing whatever kind of football it takes to keep us up be it rope a dope, park the bus, or tikka takka. If we stay up, brilliant, if we go down for want of his efforts so be it, I won't be criticising Gareth for that. Long term I hope we get back to playing the football we played at our best under Warburton, but we need to be pragmatic now and maybe next season too if we are going to have to sell or move on our best and more expensive players.
Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 09:53 - Apr 27 with 2141 viewsrobith

We should attempt to win the game, but matches are 90 minutes long. We don't need to attack non stop, especially with how shambolic our defence is atm
Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 09:56 - Apr 27 with 2135 viewsEastR

We played for a point against Norwich at home, and at Burnley where we robbed a much needed win.
We'll be playing for a point at Stoke.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 10:09 - Apr 27 with 2118 viewsDavieQPR

Long ball, long long ball or long long long ball.
Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 10:14 - Apr 27 with 2113 viewsE15Hoop

Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 09:46 - Apr 27 by QPROslo

I'm one who thought we should have stuck with Warburton and still do, but for me Gareth can have us playing whatever kind of football it takes to keep us up be it rope a dope, park the bus, or tikka takka. If we stay up, brilliant, if we go down for want of his efforts so be it, I won't be criticising Gareth for that. Long term I hope we get back to playing the football we played at our best under Warburton, but we need to be pragmatic now and maybe next season too if we are going to have to sell or move on our best and more expensive players.

Like I've said before, most people have a myopic view of Wild Thing as a manager. He just hasn't had the resources at Wycombe to play expansively. But if you look at our attacking play against West Brom and Burnley - both away from home, let's not forget - we got runners around the front two and actually created decent chances, scoring two goals in both games.

That means our attacking efficiency has shot up, AND we actually defended brilliantly in both games, with the exception of that disastrous opening ten minutes against West Brom.

What's not to like??
Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 10:17 - Apr 27 with 2098 viewsE15Hoop

Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 10:09 - Apr 27 by DavieQPR

Long ball, long long ball or long long long ball.

Did you actually watch the second half last week??

I would respectfully suggest you go back and watch it again..
Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 10:27 - Apr 27 with 2079 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 10:14 - Apr 27 by E15Hoop

Like I've said before, most people have a myopic view of Wild Thing as a manager. He just hasn't had the resources at Wycombe to play expansively. But if you look at our attacking play against West Brom and Burnley - both away from home, let's not forget - we got runners around the front two and actually created decent chances, scoring two goals in both games.

That means our attacking efficiency has shot up, AND we actually defended brilliantly in both games, with the exception of that disastrous opening ten minutes against West Brom.

What's not to like??

There's clearly a huge amount of goodwill towards Ainsworth, so I think it's slightly unfair to say people concerned about the style of football are 'myopic' or (as others elsewhere have suggested) are holding some sort of personal animus towards him.

All of our opinions are based on many years at Wycombe and now eleven games here. I agree with you that we will only know in time what style he settles on. For now, we can only comment on what we see, as each game unfolds. Opinions, interpretations and tastes will differ, and that's healthy, but calling each other myopic isn't the most helpful.

edit - sp. check.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2023 10:37]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 10:45 - Apr 27 with 2041 viewsE15Hoop

Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 10:27 - Apr 27 by BrianMcCarthy

There's clearly a huge amount of goodwill towards Ainsworth, so I think it's slightly unfair to say people concerned about the style of football are 'myopic' or (as others elsewhere have suggested) are holding some sort of personal animus towards him.

All of our opinions are based on many years at Wycombe and now eleven games here. I agree with you that we will only know in time what style he settles on. For now, we can only comment on what we see, as each game unfolds. Opinions, interpretations and tastes will differ, and that's healthy, but calling each other myopic isn't the most helpful.

edit - sp. check.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2023 10:37]

I hear you, Brian, but I've also had to cop a fair amount of crap from some people for sticking up for GA, when all I've done is listen to what he's actually been saying himself, and take evidence from opposing managers and players who've said that it's grossly unfair to label him as "one-dimensional".
I stick by my use of the word "myopic", as not being prepared to weigh up all the available cevidence and coming to a fair, balanced and empirically-derived solution is surely the very definition of the word, is it not?
If there's still anything on site about what Ebere Eze has to say about how important GA was to him in his season at Wycombe, its well worth reading as that should change people's opinions of him markedly.
Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 10:50 - Apr 27 with 2024 viewsPaddyhoops

Stoke- Should we attack attack attack and get caught or defend and get caught on 04:50 - Apr 27 by stowmarketrange

So as long as we score the first 4 goals we might be ok for a draw then?

We’re on a roll. Unbeaten in two.
Remember before the famous Citeh game we beat Stoke with Cisses last minute roof lifter. Let’s do it again.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024