Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Eurovision song contest..... 19:16 - May 9 with 10526 viewsconnell10

.....Complete and utter Shite! Always has been always will be no matter how much the BBC try to spin it ....I hate it.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Eurovision song contest..... on 08:04 - May 10 with 1738 viewsTheChef

Normally I don't mind it but it will be worse this year with all the Ukraine virtue signalling.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Eurovision song contest..... on 08:10 - May 10 with 1728 viewsdaveB

Eurovision song contest..... on 01:03 - May 10 by connell10

If that's aimed at me mate I have actually watched it when I was a kid and I thought it was shite then.

I just think it's funny how angry we all get on here about such random things as a singing contest we don't have to watch or mrs browns boys, wasn't meant as a dig. We're all guilty of it
[Post edited 10 May 2023 8:25]
Eurovision song contest..... on 08:34 - May 10 with 1682 viewsR_from_afar

Eurovision song contest..... on 06:32 - May 10 by Padulas_Shampoo

Isn’t creating a thread purely to declare your subjective hatred for something that’s completely inconsequential and harmless a bit of an odd thing to do?

No, it's fine, it's the Loft for Words version of public service broadcasting

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Eurovision song contest..... on 08:39 - May 10 with 1664 viewsRs_Holy

Eurovision song contest..... on 08:10 - May 10 by daveB

I just think it's funny how angry we all get on here about such random things as a singing contest we don't have to watch or mrs browns boys, wasn't meant as a dig. We're all guilty of it

yeah...and semi-finals are quite often negative/tense affairs.
[Post edited 10 May 2023 8:40]
Eurovision song contest..... on 08:40 - May 10 with 1671 viewsconnell10

Eurovision song contest..... on 06:32 - May 10 by Padulas_Shampoo

Isn’t creating a thread purely to declare your subjective hatred for something that’s completely inconsequential and harmless a bit of an odd thing to do?

The season is over mate , so we have to chat about something!

Eurovision song contest..... on 08:41 - May 10 with 1669 viewsconnell10

Eurovision song contest..... on 08:10 - May 10 by daveB

Because im a grumpy old man!

Eurovision song contest..... on 08:56 - May 10 with 1634 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

Eurovision peaked in 2006 when Lordi won it for Finland.
Eurovision song contest..... on 09:20 - May 10 with 1600 viewsRs_Holy

Eurovision song contest..... on 08:56 - May 10 by Orthodox_Hoop

all due respect to Lordi but I dont think they a fit to lace up Teach-In's boots... just saying....

Login to get fewer ads

Eurovision song contest..... on 09:35 - May 10 with 1576 viewsNed_Kennedys

Eurovision song contest..... on 09:20 - May 10 by Rs_Holy

all due respect to Lordi but I dont think they a fit to lace up Teach-In's boots... just saying....

Great song 👍
Don’t mind a bit of Eurovision!
Eurovision song contest..... on 09:43 - May 10 with 1569 viewsTheChef

Eurovision song contest..... on 09:20 - May 10 by Rs_Holy

Is that a bloke in a dress??

Eurovision song contest..... on 09:49 - May 10 with 1554 viewsBluce_Ree

It seems to be getting more popular. Like back in the day it was a one day thing and no-one cared but these days you can't avoid the coverage. Not just this year. It's all shit from what I can see and until last year it seemed to be a good way for Europeans to show their hate for us too.

That said, Ukraine had a song two or three years back and it was good.

Especially this version where the singer is making vareneki in a Slipknot shirt for some reason.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Eurovision song contest..... on 09:59 - May 10 with 1545 viewsMrSheen

Eurovision song contest..... on 09:49 - May 10 by Bluce_Ree

It seems to be getting more popular. Like back in the day it was a one day thing and no-one cared but these days you can't avoid the coverage. Not just this year. It's all shit from what I can see and until last year it seemed to be a good way for Europeans to show their hate for us too.

That said, Ukraine had a song two or three years back and it was good.

Especially this version where the singer is making vareneki in a Slipknot shirt for some reason.

Taught Infantino how to bloat a tournament. I much prefer the Eurovision Nations League these days, much sharper competition.

Imagine a Eurovision Conference League, only open to acts who get knocked out early from their national Eurovision heats, on all year round.
[Post edited 10 May 2023 10:01]
Eurovision song contest..... on 10:14 - May 10 with 1529 viewsconnell10

Ok I've got a reason to hate it , I was in Scooch!!!

Eurovision song contest..... on 10:46 - May 10 with 1464 viewsRs_Holy

Eurovision song contest..... on 09:43 - May 10 by TheChef

Is that a bloke in a dress??

yeh its Rene van de Kerkhof ... Willy is playing lead guitar btw
Eurovision song contest..... on 11:06 - May 10 with 1454 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

Eurovision song contest..... on 08:56 - May 10 by Orthodox_Hoop

Silly me. I forgot this one. This is the exact moment Eurovision peaked. All downhill since then.

Eurovision song contest..... on 11:15 - May 10 with 1447 viewsGaryT

OK, (puts unnecessarily long but hopefully reasonable hat on).

I have a vague memory of seeing Brotherhood of Man and Bucks Fizz winning the thing as a kid so I know my family watched it but cheesy pop is not really my thing so I can't say I was hooked from a young age. I left home a few years after Bucks Fizz won it and so began a 10 year period of completely ignoring it. I then remember leaving work with a mate, going straight to the pub, coming home with a few tins and both of us chuckling away to Terry Wogan taking the piss. When Wogan left I dropped it too so another 10 years (or so) of ignoring it passed.

That brings us up to 2021 and the missus discovers that months before the event, Youtube has all the songs for that years competition. I hear them on the TV in the background and slowly I'm being drawn in. One of her old school mates now lives in Norway and she ropes her and her husband into listening to the songs. Then the parents of a French kid my youngest went to school with joins and then an English friend I went to Spanish classes with and soon there's a WhatsApp group of four family's arguing about what's crap and what's not.

There was one song though that everyone agreed was pretty good/very clever/quite brilliant because it ticked all the boxes.

Catchy tune, tick.
Can sing along to it, tick
Silly costumes, tick
Takes the piss out of Eurovision, tick
Funny video (and with hot chicks), tick

Everyone agreed it would walk the final only to discover it wasn't in the competition! It was from the year before which was cancelled because of Covid. It's now become a bit of an anthem and any holiday pictures that get sent around the group include a small video of someone doing the silly dance routine. To save taking up even more space I won't link to the song but it is called Uno by Little Big and despite not even making it to a final, it is one of the most watched Eurovision songs.

So I'm dragged back into watching Eurovision songs but to make it more interesting, I say to my English friend, pick the five you think will finish highest and whoever wins buys lunch. Now the game is on! I'm starting to watch videos on who are the favourites, who are the dark horses, who should be taken out the back and shot, this is getting serious, there's actual food on the table!

The other families join in and are now posting their top five and it's spread to their teenage kids who previously couldn't give a toss but are now throwing in their top five as well. The French family join us for the final, lots of food and drink and a collective Uno is performed to get the party started... just because. As it happens, I picked the songs that finished 1,2,3,4 and 6 and the free lunch was duly coughed up...so that was nice.

Now the boring bit (Oh God no, please make it stop!). It's something I've talked about before and It happened when I was working away from home just out of my teens. I was with the shop fitting crew for the new B&Q in Bromley or Croydon (one of the two) and all I had in my car was My Aim is True by Elvis Costello. I'd only just bought it despite it being released a decade before and only new one song on the album, Alison. Being a big Elvis fan I listened to the album with great expectations but was left bitterly disappointed. The highly polished, well produced Alison was joined by a hotchpotch of poorly produced songs that sounded like they'd been recorded in a shed with a Sony tape recorder. The only saving grace was the last track which had a decent baseline and some of the lyrics made me smile so as it was all I had, I played the album again the next day. This time a second track caught my ear, OK, so there's two songs. The next day, a third song...two weeks later and I'm in love with the album because now, the raw uncultured production is the point and the highly polished Alison, weeeeelll, it probably shouldn't be on this album. How the hell does that happen? How can my brain write off 90% of an album the first time I hear it but two weeks later, the same brain wants to bin the 10% that I first thought was the only good bit?

Even with that experience, I can't stop myself from falling into the same trap. In March we eagerly sat down to go through all of this years entries and at the end said “well that was disappointing, there's hardly any decent songs compared to last year”. The only song that stood out was France and it was so far ahead of the rest I nearly didn't bother listening to the songs again. Then we found out that not all the songs had been released yet so every now and then, a new song would appear. After winning it last year (pity votes excluded) I was expecting something decent from the UK but, oh dear. Then Sweden appeared, meh, but a couple we had written off were growing on us.

My Norwegian friend said the same thing about France but he was a month or so behind us so he was also slagging off songs that had started to move up in our rankings. He rated two songs 1 and 2 out of 10 and I said to him, listen to them again, they'll grow on you. It was the equivalent of a musical peloton, France shot off into the lead but very slowly, Finland (the guy with the green arm bands) and then several weeks later Sweden (the woman with the nails pushing up a colourful pallet) started closing the gap until, quite bizarrely, they moved ahead of France in our rankings. How the hell does that happen? Yesterday Mr Norway said, yeah, that 2 out of 10 I gave Finland might have been a bit hasty, it will probably finish in the top three (he still doesn't rate Sweden though, HA! No free lunch for him!).

So there you go, I used to not give a toss about Eurovision and only watched it for the laughs because all I heard was noise and prancing about in silly costumes. It's still hard to get fully invested because unless they sing in English, you can't understand what the hell they are talking about. Being able to sing a long with a song is a massive plus and without that you can only really enjoy the tune and if you only hear it once, you will struggle to even do that. So yes, hate is a strong word but I can see where “complete ambivalence' can easily fit with watching Eurovision but if you can make it fun and actually give the songs a chance, you might find there's a gem or two in there. Or it's just shite, the jury is out, dooz pwun!

Come on Finland! Cha, cha cha, cha cha cha, cha!

[Post edited 10 May 2023 11:22]
Eurovision song contest..... on 11:22 - May 10 with 1433 viewsE17hoop

Nice of Finland's singer to model next season's away kit.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

Eurovision song contest..... on 11:22 - May 10 with 1423 viewsRs_Holy

Eurovision song contest..... on 11:06 - May 10 by Orthodox_Hoop

Silly me. I forgot this one. This is the exact moment Eurovision peaked. All downhill since then.

Quality OH!... Chanel from Spain last year was enjoyable too!

Eurovision song contest..... on 13:24 - May 10 with 1352 viewsWirralHoop

I’m no fan and doubt I’ll be watching but Liverpool is buzzing at the moment.

The choir I’m in were performing on The Mersey ferry yesterday, we had people from all corners of the globe commenting

In the build up we are doing flash mobs and gigs Friday and Saturday.

It’s more fun than when thousands of football fans turn up to go to Anfield.

Guess what I’m saying is fortunately we don’t all like the same things, the TV has an off button.
[Post edited 10 May 2023 16:58]
Eurovision song contest..... on 10:14 - May 11 with 1156 viewsrobith

Absolutely love Eurovision.

Went to semi final 1 on Tuesday, Liverpool was absolutely buzzing, the show was brilliant. Finland's absolutely went off, and I am in love with Croatia's performance art anti Putin song.

Youse lot are such miserable auld farts sometimes
Eurovision song contest..... on 10:20 - May 11 with 1151 viewsTheChef

Eurovision song contest..... on 10:14 - May 11 by robith

Absolutely love Eurovision.

Went to semi final 1 on Tuesday, Liverpool was absolutely buzzing, the show was brilliant. Finland's absolutely went off, and I am in love with Croatia's performance art anti Putin song.

Youse lot are such miserable auld farts sometimes

Auld??

Jings! Crivens! Help ma boab!

Eurovision song contest..... on 19:02 - May 12 with 1028 viewscolinallcars

When is it on ? There's been nothing on BBC about it………
Eurovision song contest..... on 19:40 - May 12 with 1006 viewskensalriser

Eurovision song contest..... on 19:02 - May 12 by colinallcars

When is it on ? There's been nothing on BBC about it………

When is what on?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Eurovision song contest..... on 19:43 - May 12 with 997 viewsthemodfather

no, nay , never!
Eurovision song contest..... on 19:43 - May 12 with 993 viewsaston_hoop

I enjoyed Israel in the first semi, keep an eye on her....I mean errr, keep an eye on that song in the final

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024