Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1969/70 Season 10:50 - Aug 10 with 1621 viewsdaveB

Just as an alternative to us thinking and writing about this current mess I 'm after a bit of help.

I'm doing a series of you tube videos of season reviews going back through the years, currently doing 1969/70

I've got all the stats and facts but was before my time so interested in the stories behind the results. Are there any memories or stories of this season that anyone wants to share?

Maybe about the Chelsea cup game, Venables joining or maybe what on earth happened at the end of the season when they went from edge of promotion to can't win a game, I'm guessing the answer to that is just we are QPR.

Any help greatly appreciated and if anyone fancies appearing on these videos just talking about what happened etc send me a message and can arrange something
1969/70 Season on 14:12 - Aug 10 with 1475 viewsterryb

I'll try to help a little Dave, starting with away to Portsmouth. It was a season where I decided to watch Rangers rather than play.

The first thing to say is that there were no away ends/areas in those days & Rangers fans were dotted all round the ground. On the pitch Rangers were brilliant. Off the pitch it was quite frightening! I'm fairly sure that our fans that went behind the covered goal were "forcefully removed", while we were close to the half way line & joined in "hunt the Rangers fans" when they came looking for us!

Close to us were a group of our supporters that entertained us all day with their renditions of "By the Light of the Silvery Moon" & "Side by Side" & appreciated us joining in!

On the pitch we gave one of our best performances of the season. It was the full debut for Gerry Francis & he scored one of his trademark goals in a 3-1 win. The other stand out was Ian Watson looking good as our emergency 'keeper after Mike Kelly was carried off. All 12 players were composed, playing as a team (including Rodney) & looking like a top division side.

On the Tuesday or Wednesday afterwards, my brother went with my father (Blackburn fan) to Ewood Park to watch us win 1-0 with Alan Spratley being attacked by a Rovers fan aftr making another good save.

Like the win at Watford in our first away game, we absorbed all the pressure & scored on the break.
1969/70 Season on 16:03 - Aug 10 with 1386 viewsqpr_1968

loved this season, although it was my 2nd season of watching qpr, the season before was all a blur for a ten year old.

69/70 went to nearly every home game, and our little group of 11 and 12 year olds took ourselves to every home game from the sutton estate.
used to get in the ground double early, passing that lovely stadium, white city, the smell of hot dogs and onions all along south africa road, buying the programme, programme of the year if i remember, and having a quick glance when we made our way to the back of the loft.

my first game that year was glasgow rangers in a friendly, we paid in the school end and walked all round to the loft end standing in the kids paddock at the front left where chris hatton, dj at the time, used to play the records from that little room where st johns ambulance used to stand later on in time.
lively game, 3-3, rodney marsh sent off, the crowd were very lively as you can imagine.
first home league game was against hull city, we won 3-0, about 7 of us kids all watched from the back of the loft for the first time, loved it.
first away game was at portsmouth, my uncle drove from wormholt estate.
we won 3-1, our goalkeeper that day was, who i thought was mick leach, but someone assured me it was alan wilks, still don't know.
watched us kick towards their goal in the first half, then walked up the otrher end for the second half, as one did in them days.

don't want to bore you with every game, but that was my home, away, friendly.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

1969/70 Season on 16:15 - Aug 10 with 1356 viewsStanFan

Very impressed by the memories from a season over 50 years ago. My memories are much less clear but I was only 8-9. It was my 2nd full season going with my Dad.

I had a quick look at the results and we reached the QF of both cups. How times have changed.

It was also the year we beat Blackpool 6-1 (Marsh hattrick if I remember right) and Tranmere 6-0 (4 for Marsh I think) within a month. I think they were both midweek evening matches so I was lucky to be allowed to go.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024