Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's 23:37 - Aug 8 with 2063 viewsdurham_exile

When the Carabao Cup draw was made I am sure that many Colchester supporters looked on this tie with some chagrin. After all we don’t have a good record against the Bluebirds whether it is at the old Ninian Park or the Cardiff City Stadium.

Still records are there to be broken. Of course, the ignominy of becoming the first team to have an opening day match postponed because of a waterlogged pitch at least meant that we didn’t add to our nine games without a win on the opening day.

Cardiff drew 2-2 at Leeds where the second half was like the Alamo with wave after wave of Leeds attacks which bore fruit right at the end of the game. Now unofficially foot ball matches are becoming a minimum of 100-minute games. Although towards the end of last season we experienced a good deal of marathon matches with 10 added minutes not unusual.

Just a brief word about the Bantams who lost at Crawley on Saturday but won 4-1 on penalties at Accrington Stanley on Tuesday evening. So, they get an extra 24 hours recovery, but have played two games whereas the Col U players should be fresh ahead of Wednesday night at the Cardiff City stadium.

BG has a decision to make. Now I would play my strongest team. After all the players actually need game time and missing Saturday would have been frustrating, so I would play the following side in South Wales:

Smith

Lawrence Hall Dallison

Tchamadeu Bandeira Chilvers Read Iandolo

Tovide Taylor

Subs
Goodman Greenidge Jay Akinde Kazeem Fevrier Ihiovien

I know that the Goalkeeper position is going to be hotly contested this season and ordinarily I would say that Goodman would get the nod. But Smith was excellent towards the end of last season and is our player. Play him at Cardiff and then if BG wants to play Goodman at Valley Parade so be it.

The defence is set until Fiacre Kelleher is fit.

The ongoing saga with Junior means that until Stoke stump up £1.5m Junior remains a Super U. (Stoke won 2-1 on Tuesday but won’t be upset if Junior is cup tied in the Carabao Cup).

So Junior plays in the midfield with Bandeira, Chilvers, Read and Iandolo.

We have options up front with Akinde and Hopper but I reckon Tovide and Taylor could become the Warboys and Bannister (smash and grab) of League Two this season. Yes don’t forget you read it here first! Both are young, have pace and talent and if they notch 40 goals between them then the U’s are going up this season.

Now we are still waiting on another signing who presumably would be a right sided midfield player.

Our opposition this evening will be tough to beat but they are not unbeatable.

The manager Erol Bulut will make changes with QPR (everyone’s whipping boys) visiting the Bluebirds on Saturday.

Notwithstanding the shocks this evening – Bulut will rest some of his star players.

They may line up as a result as follows 4,2,3,1;

Alnwick

Romeo Goulas Simpson Collins

Rinomhota Sawyers

Robinson Colwill Meite

Etete

Now don’t get me wrong it will be a tough game, but the U’s need to go toe to toe with a Championship side to prepare them for the long gruelling season to come.

How brave will BG be with his team selection. I hope very brave. Whilst the league is our bread and butter the Carabao Cup offers the opportunity to swell the coffers slightly because the Carabao cup doesn’t offer much incentive financially but there are any amount of energy drinks on offer!

Weather in Cardiff tonight will be a mild 21 degrees Celsius with sunny intervals and light winds. But dry conditions.

Safe journey to all travelling U’s faithful.

The U’s will dodge a Bulut with a famous win. I’m going for a 3-2 victory for the Super U’s in a pulsating game. A goal each for Bannister and Warboys and the winner from Chilvers.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 07:49 - Aug 9 with 2022 viewswessex_exile

Cheers Durham - great stuff. Me and the boy are heading over for a day in Cardiff before the match, so hope your prediction comes true!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 07:51 - Aug 9 with 2021 viewsdurham_exile

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 07:49 - Aug 9 by wessex_exile

Cheers Durham - great stuff. Me and the boy are heading over for a day in Cardiff before the match, so hope your prediction comes true!

Wessex really pleased to hear that.
Enjoy the game.
Look forward to reading your thoughts after the match.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 08:49 - Aug 9 with 2012 viewsRSCOSWORTH

We must be the only professional club in the country outside the Premier League yet to start their season!

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 20:31 - Aug 9 with 1898 viewsdurham_exile

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 08:49 - Aug 9 by RSCOSWORTH

We must be the only professional club in the country outside the Premier League yet to start their season!

Well we gave them a 2 goal start.

A shocking howler from Goodman.

But John Akinde converted from short range to make it 2-1.

Curiously he didn't celebrate the goal.

Come on we are right back in this game.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 20:33 - Aug 9 with 1891 viewsdurham_exile

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 20:31 - Aug 9 by durham_exile

Well we gave them a 2 goal start.

A shocking howler from Goodman.

But John Akinde converted from short range to make it 2-1.

Curiously he didn't celebrate the goal.

Come on we are right back in this game.

Up the U's

Taylor with a smart finish makes it 2-2.

Now for the winner.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 20:57 - Aug 9 with 1855 viewsgerry_us

Wow! Wholesale changes for the U's. Is this to get the whole squad with match minutes?
Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 21:01 - Aug 9 with 1848 viewsdurham_exile

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 20:57 - Aug 9 by gerry_us

Wow! Wholesale changes for the U's. Is this to get the whole squad with match minutes?

Definitely Gerry and we still have Samson on the bench.

Good performance so far.

Decent following from the faithful even if Cardiff have crushed them into a corner of the stadium.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 21:11 - Aug 9 with 1833 viewsnoah4x4

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 21:01 - Aug 9 by durham_exile

Definitely Gerry and we still have Samson on the bench.

Good performance so far.

Decent following from the faithful even if Cardiff have crushed them into a corner of the stadium.

Up the U's

They stuck us in the corner last time. Cardiff fans were then on strike as the owner wanted to change their strip to red. Hope folk travelling today found the wondefully welcoming local rugby club for a pint!

Today, I've been scoring cricket until late, so couldn't go, and am disappointed that we have only audio on I-Follow, and that keeps dropping out into regular Essex Radio. Bah Humbug!

But at 2-2 (so far), its encouraging, given Cardiff are a Championship Club. Come on you U's! Fevrier having a blinder.
Login to get fewer ads

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 21:40 - Aug 9 with 1794 viewsdurham_exile

What on earth was Tovide thinking that was a shocking challenge and he has been red carded on 89 minutes.

Still 2-2

Simply unacceptable behaviour.

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 21:47 - Aug 9 with 1780 viewsgerry_us

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 21:40 - Aug 9 by durham_exile

What on earth was Tovide thinking that was a shocking challenge and he has been red carded on 89 minutes.

Still 2-2

Simply unacceptable behaviour.

Come on the U's

Should have left him on the bench!
Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 21:49 - Aug 9 with 1776 viewsdurham_exile

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 21:47 - Aug 9 by gerry_us

Should have left him on the bench!

Gerry I can't understand why he did it the challenge was horrendous.

Penalties to decide the tie.

Durham_exile

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 22:00 - Aug 9 with 1752 viewsgerry_us

Have we practiced penalties; obviously not.
I'm not too disappointed with the result as to hold Cardiff to 2-2 in 90 minutes gives us confidence for the future.
Tchamadeu value decreased by 1/2 million with his penalty miss.
Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 22:00 - Aug 9 with 1752 viewsdurham_exile

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 21:49 - Aug 9 by durham_exile

Gerry I can't understand why he did it the challenge was horrendous.

Penalties to decide the tie.

Cardiff 3:Colchester 0 on penalties

Fevrier
Tchamadeu
Hopper all missed

Speechless

Durham_exile

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 22:03 - Aug 9 with 1743 viewsgerry_us

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 22:00 - Aug 9 by durham_exile

Cardiff 3:Colchester 0 on penalties

Fevrier
Tchamadeu
Hopper all missed

Speechless

Speech-less, you? NAH.
Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 22:05 - Aug 9 with 1734 viewsdurham_exile

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 22:03 - Aug 9 by gerry_us

Speech-less, you? NAH.

Gerry more disappointed, I honestly believed we could win tonight.

Oh well we move onto Bradford.

Need to bounce back Saturday.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 22:13 - Aug 9 with 1720 viewsdurham_exile

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 22:05 - Aug 9 by durham_exile

Gerry more disappointed, I honestly believed we could win tonight.

Oh well we move onto Bradford.

Need to bounce back Saturday.

Up the U's

Tovide misses next three league games.

Safe journey home Wessex

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 00:53 - Aug 10 with 1604 viewswessex_exile

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 22:13 - Aug 9 by durham_exile

Tovide misses next three league games.

Safe journey home Wessex

Up the U's

Cheers Durham, with multiple M4 closures on the journey home, got back about ten minutes ago. I'm not disheartened by the result to be honest. The U's gave a good account of themselves, and second half it could have gone either way, though the least said about our three missed penalties the better - though technically they were all on target but saved by a keeper who guessed right every time.

We looked more balanced first half, and I was very impressed with Taylor - despite his height he's a stocky sturdy individual that makes himself a real nuisance - think he'll do well with us. I know it was a second string Cardiff, but for long periods of the game we more than matched them. Other positives - Chilvers was full of running, but his touch looked a bit rusty at times Akinde was also a big bloody nuisance too, and both him and Taylor deserved their goals. MoM though was definitely Fevrier, who was causing them no end of torment down the right, and basically made both our goals. Goodman pulled off a couple of blinders too to keep us in the game, and of course saved their first pen too to give the faithful hope. Samson's arrival brought a different kind of threat to Akinde, and he and Fevrier continued to work well down the right side, up until of course 'that' moment. As for the faithful, fantastic support in both numbers and noise - great turnout.

Some negatives - Hopper chased absolutely everything, can't fault his work rate, but barely had a touch of any meaning all game. Junior was largely anonymous for most of the game, probably until he and Fevrier swapped sides to accommodate Kazeem when he came on (who looked a handful too).

Ben Garner's reaction (which earned him a yellow card) was entirely justified - Samson was being manhandled all over the place, but had managed to use his strength to turn his marker and be through on goal, only for the defender to collapse in a sorry heap and earn the softest free-kick ever - shocking decision by the ref (the free-kick and Ben's yellow card). As for the red card, first off I've only seen it once in real time, so I will reserve final judgement until I've seen a replay. However, it looked like Samson was looking over his shoulder seeking to bring the ball down under control, whilst the defender was charging in from the opposite direction. Yes, Samson's foot was definitely high, the two collided at pace, and the Cardiff player might have caught a foot (or leg) in the face. If the boot (metaphorically) had been on the other foot, we would have been baying for the red card, and I wasn't surprised to see the ref had no hesitation showing it, but it just seemed somewhat harsh, given the apparent absence of intent. I doubt the club will try and appeal the decision, given it might actually make the suspension worse.

All in all though, a decent game, no disgrace to the Mighty U's, and a great day out for Alfie and I. I expect to see Akinde and Taylor leading the line at Bradford on Saturday.

Up the U's

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 07:39 - Aug 10 with 1545 viewsbwildered

In the post match interview with BG , he stated that half time substitutions were pre determined and surprisingly the squad did not practice penalties.
The impression was the away league fixture was the priority.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 09:24 - Aug 10 with 1514 viewsdurham_exile

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 00:53 - Aug 10 by wessex_exile

Cheers Durham, with multiple M4 closures on the journey home, got back about ten minutes ago. I'm not disheartened by the result to be honest. The U's gave a good account of themselves, and second half it could have gone either way, though the least said about our three missed penalties the better - though technically they were all on target but saved by a keeper who guessed right every time.

We looked more balanced first half, and I was very impressed with Taylor - despite his height he's a stocky sturdy individual that makes himself a real nuisance - think he'll do well with us. I know it was a second string Cardiff, but for long periods of the game we more than matched them. Other positives - Chilvers was full of running, but his touch looked a bit rusty at times Akinde was also a big bloody nuisance too, and both him and Taylor deserved their goals. MoM though was definitely Fevrier, who was causing them no end of torment down the right, and basically made both our goals. Goodman pulled off a couple of blinders too to keep us in the game, and of course saved their first pen too to give the faithful hope. Samson's arrival brought a different kind of threat to Akinde, and he and Fevrier continued to work well down the right side, up until of course 'that' moment. As for the faithful, fantastic support in both numbers and noise - great turnout.

Some negatives - Hopper chased absolutely everything, can't fault his work rate, but barely had a touch of any meaning all game. Junior was largely anonymous for most of the game, probably until he and Fevrier swapped sides to accommodate Kazeem when he came on (who looked a handful too).

Ben Garner's reaction (which earned him a yellow card) was entirely justified - Samson was being manhandled all over the place, but had managed to use his strength to turn his marker and be through on goal, only for the defender to collapse in a sorry heap and earn the softest free-kick ever - shocking decision by the ref (the free-kick and Ben's yellow card). As for the red card, first off I've only seen it once in real time, so I will reserve final judgement until I've seen a replay. However, it looked like Samson was looking over his shoulder seeking to bring the ball down under control, whilst the defender was charging in from the opposite direction. Yes, Samson's foot was definitely high, the two collided at pace, and the Cardiff player might have caught a foot (or leg) in the face. If the boot (metaphorically) had been on the other foot, we would have been baying for the red card, and I wasn't surprised to see the ref had no hesitation showing it, but it just seemed somewhat harsh, given the apparent absence of intent. I doubt the club will try and appeal the decision, given it might actually make the suspension worse.

All in all though, a decent game, no disgrace to the Mighty U's, and a great day out for Alfie and I. I expect to see Akinde and Taylor leading the line at Bradford on Saturday.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the game Wessex.

I honestly thought we would win last night and having done the hard part to come back from two goals down Cardiff were given a scare.

Taylor and Akinde will be the partnership on Saturday at Bradford.

Fevrier showed last season what a prospect he is.

However much I rate Junior this Stoke Situation must be sorted quickly otherwise it will become a distraction.

When Hopper came to the club he brought a great work rate but the final touch is often lacking.

I agree Samson gets rough handling from defenders but I cannot understand why he led with his foot so high at that stage of the game.

I understand there is a school of thought that he might only get a one match ban but I cannot see beyond three games.

A great shame because I wanted to see Taylor and Tovide up front together.

Anyway the league is key this season.

Bring on the Bantams.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 10:02 - Aug 10 with 1505 viewsburnsieespana

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 07:39 - Aug 10 by bwildered

In the post match interview with BG , he stated that half time substitutions were pre determined and surprisingly the squad did not practice penalties.
The impression was the away league fixture was the priority.

He also suggested that yesterday in the Gazette due to no game last Saturday and Bradfird being on Saturday combined with two 4/5 hour trips close together.
Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 10:22 - Aug 10 with 1499 viewswessex_exile

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 10:02 - Aug 10 by burnsieespana

He also suggested that yesterday in the Gazette due to no game last Saturday and Bradfird being on Saturday combined with two 4/5 hour trips close together.

I think Saturday’s postponement forced Ben’s hand here. He had to give as many potential first-teamers as possible a proper competitive run-out ahead of Bradford. It was kind of funny really, like we were the ones taking the pee and trolling our Championship opponents.

Two other observations - on the occasions Cardiff had us boxed in, they sliced through our defence alarmingly easily - think we need Kels back asap. Also, I’ve seen the red card replay now, and my first impression was correct, Samson’s eyes were only on the ball coming over his shoulder. He possibly didn’t even know the Cardiff player was charging in on his blindside, though he probably should have assumed someone would be. The ref had the card out in an instant, so I’ll be amazed (and delighted) if it was only a one-match ban - do red cards get reviewed by the FA even if there isn’t an appeal?

Up the U's

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 10:59 - Aug 10 with 1491 viewsMoor_Pinot

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 10:22 - Aug 10 by wessex_exile

I think Saturday’s postponement forced Ben’s hand here. He had to give as many potential first-teamers as possible a proper competitive run-out ahead of Bradford. It was kind of funny really, like we were the ones taking the pee and trolling our Championship opponents.

Two other observations - on the occasions Cardiff had us boxed in, they sliced through our defence alarmingly easily - think we need Kels back asap. Also, I’ve seen the red card replay now, and my first impression was correct, Samson’s eyes were only on the ball coming over his shoulder. He possibly didn’t even know the Cardiff player was charging in on his blindside, though he probably should have assumed someone would be. The ref had the card out in an instant, so I’ll be amazed (and delighted) if it was only a one-match ban - do red cards get reviewed by the FA even if there isn’t an appeal?

Watched it several times Wessex. Tovide was trying to bring the ball under control. It was not a "challenge". Inevitable that it looked bad and these days an inevitable red card. Not deserving of three match ban in my view. Pity, he and Taylor might work. Hopper is peripheral in my view. Ihionvien's far ahead of him. He may make the bench in Tovide's stead now for Bradford.

Moor Pinot

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's on 18:09 - Aug 10 with 1402 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Seems like a positive performance and one that shows more attacking intent than we've been used to in recent seasons. The amount of chances we gave Cardiff is slightly worrying though. Fevrier could develop into a very good player indeed and last night will give him plenty of confidence. Good for two of our strikers to get a goal as well. Did anyone else notice Taylor's movement for his goal? A proper strikers move in the six yard box. He could be a really good signing for us.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Bluebirds to suffer wing clipping by the Super U's (n/t) (n/t) on 19:45 - Aug 10 with 1381 viewsbwildered

[Post edited 11 Aug 2023 12:06]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024