Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park 15:46 - Aug 5 with 1769 viewsdurham_exile

Saturday sees the start of yet another season in League Two, our sixth since relegation from League One . Since returning to the basement league, we have finished 8th, 13th, 8th, 6th, and 20th respectively.

Last season is done and dusted, and we can only look forward to a more successful 2021/22.

Of course, we have experienced 16 months of unprecedented lockdowns and a shocking death toll from a virus which is likely to be with us for many years like influenza or other viral strains. But the vaccination programme has stemmed the tide and for the first time in some months the country is able to unlock, and a degree of normality has returned.

The prospect of a wholesale return to elite sport in its many guises has lifted spirits and the Colchester faithful will be able to travel to Cumbria this weekend, just as they can return to the JSCS for league games the following weekend.

Last season we were able to watch the games online and this season COLU TV will enable certain games to be streamed. I thoroughly enjoyed the recent pre-season friendly against Ipswich but there is no substitute to actually being at the game. Brunton Park is always a game that I look forward to. The view from the Away end of the Pioneer Stand and Warwick Road end is always good and the Cumbrians have a vocal partisan following. This weekend they are offering tickets at £10 each which should see a healthy opening day attendance.

We parted company with the following players at the end of last season and in the case of Poku very recently to Peterborough United:

Jevani Brown
Josh Bohui
Callum Coulter
Paris Cowan-Hall
Luke Gambin
Callum Harriott
Tom Lapslie
Harry Pell
Kwame Poku
Courtney Senior
Omar Sowunmi
Diaz Wright

Once Hayden Mullins (HM) had been appointed as Manager and had been joined by Alex Dyer (AD), they set out transforming the team with the accent on bringing in experience:

Luke Chambers
Cameron Coxe
Luke Hannant
Sylvester Jasper (on Loan from Fulham until Jan 22)
Alan Judge
Frank Nouble
Freddie Sears
Cole Skuse

I would imagine that HM will still be looking to add to his recruitment. Another striker must be high on the list, but it is arguably too late for this weekend.

These eight additions have transformed the players into a squad numbered as follows:

Dean Gerken 1
Miles Welch-Hayes 2
Ryan Clampin 3
Luke Chambers 4 Captain
Tommy Smith 5
Brendan Wiredu 6
Luke Hannant 7
Cole Skuse 8
Frank Nouble 9
Alan Judge 10
Freddie Sears 11
Noah Chilvers 14
Tom Eastman 18
Gene Kennedy 21
Junior Tchamadeu 22
Sylvester Jasper 17
Andre Hasanally 25
Cameron Coxe 27
Shamal George 29
Al-Amin Kazeem 30
Donell Thomas 31
Jake Hutchinson 32
Marley M Miranda 33
Samson Tovide 34
Billy Cracknell 35
Harvey Sayer 36
Frankie Terry 40
Sam Cornish 41
Tom Stagg 42
Harry Beadle 43

Michael Folivi was desperately unlucky to sustain his achilles injury and it is hoped that the club will be able to offer him a contract in due course.

So much for the preamble, Saturday sees the U’s travelling to Brunton Park Carlisle for the opening game of what should be an encouraging season. The U’s must aim for automatic promotion and on paper they have the defence and midfield to stake a claim. It is once again the striking department which looks a little light.

Richard Kone is plying his trade with Brentford after a trial spell at the JSCS. It is unlikely that we will see him again but not impossible. 19-year-old Sylvester Jasper has signed on loan from Fulham. He scored 8 goals in 16 appearances for their U23s last season then had an unsuccessful trial at Sheffield Wednesday before coming to Colchester.

My favourite all action target man Scott Quigley went to Stockport County and Paul Mullin turned down Cambridge in League One for big spending Hollywood invested Wrexham now managed by Parky. Still never mind plenty more fish in the sea!

HM has ensured that the following players saw many pre-season minutes; Smith, Chambers, Sears, Clampin, Eastman, Nouble, Wiredu, Judge, Skuse, Coxe, Chilvers, Welch-Hayes, Hannant, George and Gerken.

I am unclear as to how many trialists (if any) have been offered contracts and so my team selection is based upon recent pre-season games.

HM has favoured a 5,3,2 formation in pre-season with:

George or Gerken
Welch-Hayes Eastman Chambers Smith Clampin
Wiredu Judge Chilvers
Sears Nouble

Or 3,5,2

George or Gerken
Eastman Chambers Smith
Welch-Hayes Wiredu Judge Chilvers Clampin
Sears Nouble
Or 4,4,2

George or Gerken
Welch-Hayes Chambers Smith Clampin
Wiredu Judge Chilvers Skuse
Sears Nouble

I suspect that he will play 5,3,2 at Carlisle as above but I would like to see the following squad and formation. Luke Hannant had contracted COVID but hopefully will be fit to start on Saturday, in which case I would suggest a bold 4,4,2 as follows:

George

Hannant Wiredu Chilvers Judge

Sears Nouble

Subs:

Gerken Eastman Coxe Skuse Jasper Tovide Tchamadeu

The choice seems to be either playing three centre halves in the five of a 5,3,2 or three centre halves with two wing backs, two defensive midfielder and two strikers with Judge just behind the strikers in a 3,5,2.

Now it is the first game of the season and a very good time to travel to Carlisle. The weather will be ok, not too windy with no storm force winds and horizontal rain or snow to contend with as we have seen in previous seasons.

Carlisle themselves under Chris Beech have done some transfer business and I would imagine would be content to finish mid table. We need to set out our stall at the weekend and look to secure the three points on an opening day smash and grab.

2-1 to the Super U’s would do nicely.

The weather currently looks like 17 degrees Celsius at Brunton Park and some sunshine but showery.

A long journey for the faithful and one of my shorter journeys just 55 miles.

Enjoy the trip and enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 6 Aug 2021 0:34]

Durham_exile

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 16:03 - Aug 5 with 1277 viewsMoor_Pinot

A marvellous read here in the damp cool Vendée Durham, thank you. Have a grand day, even in the beginning days of some sort of new normal, whatever that proves to be.

I suspect Carlisle, Bradford, Salford, FGR, Exeter and Mansfield will be close to the top six places so I expect nowt tomorrow but with some experience on the pitch to help our inevitably novice management I reckon we could have a much more steady season. I jolly well hope so after the poor show last year. I'd be thrilled with a point tomorrow and just hope we can make a promising start whatever the result.
Up the U's who badly need a striker and some white stripes!!!

Moor Pinot

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 16:41 - Aug 5 with 1256 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 16:03 - Aug 5 by Moor_Pinot

A marvellous read here in the damp cool Vendée Durham, thank you. Have a grand day, even in the beginning days of some sort of new normal, whatever that proves to be.

I suspect Carlisle, Bradford, Salford, FGR, Exeter and Mansfield will be close to the top six places so I expect nowt tomorrow but with some experience on the pitch to help our inevitably novice management I reckon we could have a much more steady season. I jolly well hope so after the poor show last year. I'd be thrilled with a point tomorrow and just hope we can make a promising start whatever the result.

I'm not expecting anything tomorrow either but Saturday however I'm sure we'll start the season with our customary draw.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 17:36 - Aug 5 with 1244 viewsgerry_us

Eastman on the subs bench Peter? Sacrilegious mate.
Need his experience in the back four for sure.
Please have a rethink in case U's management are looking at the post for ideas...
Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 19:06 - Aug 5 with 1218 viewsnoah4x4

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 17:36 - Aug 5 by gerry_us

Please have a rethink in case U's management are looking at the post for ideas...

Agreed about Eastman, and can we have a striking option other than Sears and Nouble? I would throw in new boy Jasper from the kick off. Swirling winds and drizzle are forecast, so difficult conditions for goalkeepers, we will need a striker that can head a ball.

My first away game due to cricket commitments will be Rochdale. My last was Carlisle 2020. Don’t want to do Carlisle in consecutive away games, albeit 17 months apart!
Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 19:58 - Aug 5 with 1200 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 17:36 - Aug 5 by gerry_us

Gerry time to tackle the elephant in the room.

As I suggested in my preview HM will go with 5,3,2 and that would mean Eastman, Chambers and Smith playing as three Centre Halves except that Eastman gravitates to the Right Back position.

Under his formation he then plays either Coxe or Welch-Hayes as Right Wing Back and Clampin as left Wing Back. The rest of the team is as I suggested.

I'm not a great fan of three Centre Halves especially when we normally play against one striker two at the most.

Therefore I prefer 4,4,2 which only allows twin Centre Halves but gives four midfield players Judge, Chilvers, Wiredu and Hannant. I wouldn't want to leave anyone of those four out.

Therefore the predicament is one of Eastman Smith and Chambers has to be benched.
Chambers and Smith (Captain) has formed a decent understanding with him. Result Tom Eastman is on the bench. To avoid that you either drop Coxe or Welch-Hayes and play Eastman as a Right Wing Back (not recommended) or as a Right Back (not his best position).

It is a problem.

I favour:
George
Hannant Judge Chilvers Wiredu (probably the best midfield that we have had for years)
Sears Nouble

Jasper wil not be starting on Saturday he will be on the bench.

Until we get Folivi back (assuming he is offered a contract) HM will not look beyond Sears and Nouble with Tovide and Jasper from the bench.

All of this leaves Tom Eastman on the bench.

Away from home HM will likely go 5,3,2 and at home 3,5,2

But I would like to see the 4,4,2 that I mentioned previously or an adventurous 4,3,3 by playing Hannant as Right Wing with Sears and Nouble.

Of course if we do sign two new players things could change again.

HM is the manager I'm not and so 5,3,2 it is Saturday.

Hope this explains my reasoning clearly!!!!!

Up the U's
[Post edited 5 Aug 2021 21:00]

Durham_exile

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 19:59 - Aug 5 with 1200 viewsburnsieespana

Superb read Durham to get our season off to a flyer both from you and the boys.
From an exceedingly hot Spain (41c today where I am in Andalucia) I think we will start with a narrow 2-1 victory.
Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 20:02 - Aug 5 with 1199 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 16:03 - Aug 5 by Moor_Pinot

Thanks Pinault, it will be great to be back at a ground and I am looking forward to the game very much.

I am confident of at least a point on Saturday, but I think we can win what will be a tight game.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 20:37 - Aug 5 with 1183 viewsRSCOSWORTH

I thought Smith was the club captain now? Eastman has been a solid and dependable player for us over many years. Didn't he win most of the Player of the Season awards last season? I hope he's given a fair chance to stake a claim for a starting berth. I agree that he can't be a right back or right wing back so it has to be as part of two or three centre backs and if Smith is now captain you would think there's only one, maybe two, spots up for grabs.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 20:58 - Aug 5 with 1172 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 19:59 - Aug 5 by burnsieespana

Superb read Durham to get our season off to a flyer both from you and the boys.
From an exceedingly hot Spain (41c today where I am in Andalucia) I think we will start with a narrow 2-1 victory.

41 degrees burnsie that is seriously hot.

Mind you it is often 41 degrees here fahrenheit not celsius!

I feel confident for a 2-1 Colchester win too.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 21:03 - Aug 5 with 1169 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 20:37 - Aug 5 by RSCOSWORTH

I thought Smith was the club captain now? Eastman has been a solid and dependable player for us over many years. Didn't he win most of the Player of the Season awards last season? I hope he's given a fair chance to stake a claim for a starting berth. I agree that he can't be a right back or right wing back so it has to be as part of two or three centre backs and if Smith is now captain you would think there's only one, maybe two, spots up for grabs.

RS yes and yes.

I said right at the start that HM will play 5,3,2 which means Eastman Chambers and Smith will play my point is that I prefer 4,4,2 or 4,3,3 which would mean only two of those three would play at the back because I want to see a midfield four of Hannant Chilvers Wiredu and Judge.

It's just my opinion but HM will go as above.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 22:32 - Aug 5 with 1151 viewsmfb_cufc

Excellent work as always durham.

There are going to be two more signings, possibly before the Carlisle game. A very strong rumour is that one of them is Theo Robinson.

Back to the team for Saturday. I think HM will be more attacking away from home than recent managers. Having said that he has a lot of respect for Carlisle, and with it being the first game of the season, he would be happy with a draw, and will go 3-5-2. I would go with your selection for that formation, though Cole Scuse will definitely start, probably instead of Chilvers.

mfb

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 23:03 - Aug 5 with 1142 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 22:32 - Aug 5 by mfb_cufc

Excellent work as always durham.

There are going to be two more signings, possibly before the Carlisle game. A very strong rumour is that one of them is Theo Robinson.

Back to the team for Saturday. I think HM will be more attacking away from home than recent managers. Having said that he has a lot of respect for Carlisle, and with it being the first game of the season, he would be happy with a draw, and will go 3-5-2. I would go with your selection for that formation, though Cole Scuse will definitely start, probably instead of Chilvers.

Interesting news Mick

Robinson would create competition up front and could play with both Sears or Nouble.

I wonder who the other newcomer might be.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 23:35 - Aug 5 with 1142 viewsmfb_cufc

Rumours for the other newcomer are Chay Cooper, released by Spurs, and played as a trialist in some pre-season friendlies for 1st team and U23's, Also Charlie Daniels, who also trialed for the 1st team.

Whoever the other signings are, I feel they are going to make a stong squad even stronger.

mfb

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 10:23 - Aug 7 with 970 viewsLeadbelly

Hannant not involved today due to COVID

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 11:38 - Aug 7 with 951 viewsnoah4x4

Cricket rained off and the U's away at Carlisle and no I-Follow live stream. Bummer.

But a choice between Test Match and/or British Lions on TV, plus U's radio commentary. I just need an opportunity to claim control of the TV Remote...........
Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 13:04 - Aug 7 with 929 viewsgerry_us

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 11:38 - Aug 7 by noah4x4

Cricket rained off and the U's away at Carlisle and no I-Follow live stream. Bummer.

But a choice between Test Match and/or British Lions on TV, plus U's radio commentary. I just need an opportunity to claim control of the TV Remote...........

No chance...
Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 13:08 - Aug 7 with 923 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 23:35 - Aug 5 by mfb_cufc

Rumours for the other newcomer are Chay Cooper, released by Spurs, and played as a trialist in some pre-season friendlies for 1st team and U23's, Also Charlie Daniels, who also trialed for the 1st team.

Whoever the other signings are, I feel they are going to make a stong squad even stronger.

Having some lunch in Carlisle.
Weather has been wet but currently dry and mild.
Shorts weather!

Disappointed that Hannant isn't fit but understandable after COVID.

Looking forward to the game.
Still fancy 2-1 to the Super U's

No Hannant suggests Skuse will play otherwise I'm going with HM's 5,3,2

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 14:14 - Aug 7 with 906 viewsMadeira163

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 11:38 - Aug 7 by noah4x4

Gutted no I follow really got used to watching last season .
But in 6 weeks Gsy163 will become Madeira163
And then I can watch again
Pinault you need to visit
Well you’re all welcome to be fair
Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 14:58 - Aug 7 with 888 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 14:14 - Aug 7 by Madeira163

Gutted no I follow really got used to watching last season .
But in 6 weeks Gsy163 will become Madeira163
And then I can watch again
Pinault you need to visit
Well you’re all welcome to be fair

Kick off delayed by 15 mins

You are only here for the Col U

Carlisle had sold 5,000 tickets and about 1500 still waiting to get in.

Good contingent of the faithful

Bring it on
Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 15:56 - Aug 7 with 855 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 14:58 - Aug 7 by durham_exile

Kick off delayed by 15 mins

You are only here for the Col U

Carlisle had sold 5,000 tickets and about 1500 still waiting to get in.

Good contingent of the faithful

Bring it on
Up the U's

Too one sided for my liking so far Durham!

Moor Pinot

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 16:08 - Aug 7 with 849 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 15:56 - Aug 7 by Moor_Pinot

Too one sided for my liking so far Durham!

Pinault this is my principle objection to 5 at the back.

Despite our defensive display we have had the best two chances.

Big Frank missed his kick at the worst possible time.

George has made one vey good save.

Second half must show more attacking intent. We can win this game.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 16:56 - Aug 7 with 814 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 16:08 - Aug 7 by durham_exile

Pinault this is my principle objection to 5 at the back.

Despite our defensive display we have had the best two chances.

Big Frank missed his kick at the worst possible time.

George has made one vey good save.

Second half must show more attacking intent. We can win this game.

Up the U's

Shove Tovide and Jasper on instead of the front two for the last few minutes, it can't hurt!

Moor Pinot

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 17:10 - Aug 7 with 796 viewsgerry_us

Settle for that.
Hope that it is not the start of another dearth of goals this season though.
Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 17:14 - Aug 7 with 791 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 16:56 - Aug 7 by Moor_Pinot

Shove Tovide and Jasper on instead of the front two for the last few minutes, it can't hurt!

Not too bad!
Mandron, Lapado and inevitably Bonne all scored. Glad Jasper had a few minutes, maybe Tuedayu night will be a chance to tinker a wee bit.

Moor Pinot

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 17:17 - Aug 7 with 788 viewswessex_exile

Good solid start, even if we were under the cosh for much of the game. George showing why he's our number 1 this season. I'd have taken 0-0 before kick-off, and would have bitten your hand off after the first 20-25 minutes.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024