Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Certainly no time for complacency 21:55 - Apr 18 with 496 viewsdurham_exile

There is a danger of unbridled relief breaking out at the WHCS on saturday.

With the Shrews safe barring a miracle (or at least a 20 goal difference swing with Scunny) and likely to play a couple of youngsters, there is a growing feeling that whatever the result the U's are safe.

Let us not fool ourselves. I cannot believe that Brian Laws has thrown in the towel. The MK Dons are not going to make the top six and Swindon in a top six berth will not be going up automatically, neither team therefore will worry about their respective results against the Iron.

We still need at least a point. Therefore the only way to lance the relegation boil is to tame the Shrews and claim the three points. We can then party at Brunton Park the following week.

Noah says we don't score goals (and the table doesn't lie) therefore let's get those shooting boots on and get a handsome victory on saturday.

Complacency cannot be in our vocabulary on saturday, time to be ruthless and secure the three points to bring up those 50 points.

You know it makes sense!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Certainly no time for complacency on 22:47 - Apr 18 with 485 viewswessex_exile

Appreciate the note of caution Durham, and you're absolutely right - complacency is the mother of all f'ck-ups - BUT - if we were the Mongs (heaven forbid), we'd be expecting the U's to throw the kitchen sink at Scunny to keep the slim hope of the play-offs alive. As for Swindon, whilst they could easily be guaranteed a play-off slot at 5pm Saturday, position is everything when it comes to who you play and more importantly WHERE you play for the first leg of play-offs. They'll still be up for it!

Still, I'm currently rearranging plans to hopefully be at WHCS to see the U's survive relegation on Saturday - one way or another

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Certainly no time for complacency on 22:52 - Apr 18 with 482 viewsdurham_exile

Certainly no time for complacency on 22:47 - Apr 18 by wessex_exile

Appreciate the note of caution Durham, and you're absolutely right - complacency is the mother of all f'ck-ups - BUT - if we were the Mongs (heaven forbid), we'd be expecting the U's to throw the kitchen sink at Scunny to keep the slim hope of the play-offs alive. As for Swindon, whilst they could easily be guaranteed a play-off slot at 5pm Saturday, position is everything when it comes to who you play and more importantly WHERE you play for the first leg of play-offs. They'll still be up for it!

Still, I'm currently rearranging plans to hopefully be at WHCS to see the U's survive relegation on Saturday - one way or another

Wessex - should be a cracking match and with Howard Webb in charge. Enjoy.

By the way I see a classic U's attacking game and a 5-0 scoreline.

Time for my medication!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Certainly no time for complacency on 08:55 - Apr 19 with 460 viewsAFCMorant

Wrong, wrong, wrong, MK Dons can make the top 6. They are 4 points shy of a play off place with 6 points still at stake, and the one team they can catch is Swindon!! Therefore they will be going all out to beat Scunny. They, Walsall and Orient can still make the play offs, as in theory so can Tranmere.
Certainly no time for complacency on 10:38 - Apr 19 with 454 viewsBluenWightExile

Spot on AFCM.
All the teams in the mix will throw the kitchen sink at it this weekend so that next weekend doesn't matter so much.
From the relegationally challenged unpredictable and inconsistent non scoring U's the issue is.............err.......just that. Namely will they turn up to throw the kitchen sink or the towel? With this inexperienced and un predictable lot we non e of us really know which means I am back to simplly 'hoping' like I have all season as it has been obvious to me from the games I went to during the autumn that we are not quite good enough for the division. Assuming we survive I think next year with JD's true influence could be very interesting. We will be back to being a ill-supported club relying on careful signings, our youth and Mr Cowling.

But that is a post for another day..........................hopefully Sunday rather than after Carlisle.

Safe journey Wessex. I can't make it this weekend. It feels like a draw to me. Might just do!

Up the relegationally challenged U's

Pinault-noir

Certainly no time for complacency on 10:59 - Apr 19 with 452 viewsnoah4x4

"Noah says we don't score goals and the table doesn't lie" (Durham).

It's not just the current division one scorers table that is testimony to this observation. Consider the U's top scorer in each of these recent seasons;

1989—90 Trevor Morgan 12
1990—91 Mario Walsh 18
1991—92 Roy McDonough 29
1992—93 Gary Bennett 10
1993—94 Steve Brown 13
1994—95 Steve Whitton 13
1995—96 Tony Adcock 17
1996-—97 Tony Adcock 14
1997—98 Mark Sale 8
1998—99 David Gregory 14
1999—00 Steve McGavin 16
2000—01 Mick Stockwell 11
2001—02 Scott McGleish 16
2002—03 Joe Keith 9
2003—04 Scott McGleish 17
2004—05 Craig Fagan 14
2005—06 Chris Iwelumo 19
2006—07 Jamie Cureton 24
2007—08 Kevin Lisbie 17
2008—09 Mark Yeates 13
2009—10 Kevin Lisbie 13
2010—11 David Mooney 14
2011—12 Anthony Wordsworth 13
2012-13 Ibrehe & Sears 8 with two games to go (awful)

This year, our top scorer looks likely to have our WORST record of the last twenty one years (but we have had years as poor).

If one appended the years of promotion/success/play offs etc. in a fourth column it would inevitably coincide with those years where we had a circa 17- 20 goal scorer.

Conclusion; we currently can't score enough goals. But let's hope we get three tomorrow and end this pain.
Certainly no time for complacency on 12:14 - Apr 19 with 443 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Certainly no time for complacency on 10:59 - Apr 19 by noah4x4

"Noah says we don't score goals and the table doesn't lie" (Durham).

It's not just the current division one scorers table that is testimony to this observation. Consider the U's top scorer in each of these recent seasons;

1989—90 Trevor Morgan 12
1990—91 Mario Walsh 18
1991—92 Roy McDonough 29
1992—93 Gary Bennett 10
1993—94 Steve Brown 13
1994—95 Steve Whitton 13
1995—96 Tony Adcock 17
1996-—97 Tony Adcock 14
1997—98 Mark Sale 8
1998—99 David Gregory 14
1999—00 Steve McGavin 16
2000—01 Mick Stockwell 11
2001—02 Scott McGleish 16
2002—03 Joe Keith 9
2003—04 Scott McGleish 17
2004—05 Craig Fagan 14
2005—06 Chris Iwelumo 19
2006—07 Jamie Cureton 24
2007—08 Kevin Lisbie 17
2008—09 Mark Yeates 13
2009—10 Kevin Lisbie 13
2010—11 David Mooney 14
2011—12 Anthony Wordsworth 13
2012-13 Ibrehe & Sears 8 with two games to go (awful)

This year, our top scorer looks likely to have our WORST record of the last twenty one years (but we have had years as poor).

If one appended the years of promotion/success/play offs etc. in a fourth column it would inevitably coincide with those years where we had a circa 17- 20 goal scorer.

Conclusion; we currently can't score enough goals. But let's hope we get three tomorrow and end this pain.

You've suddenly become obsessed with top scorer charts!

Maybe Sears and Ibehre will both get a hat-trick tomorrow!

Lisbie scored 17 the year we got relegated! What does that tell us?

What if we had 11 players who all scored seven goals each? It would be our worst season in terms of number of goals from the top goalscorer but as a team we'd have 77 goals at least!

I think the years when the number of goals scored by the top goalscorer is high probably also coincides with having a settled side both in terms of personnel and formation. It's taken Dunne a long time to work out who his bext XI is, especially with all the loanees, and when he did finally work it out the side has been hit with injuries and suspensions. If Sears and Ibehre had both played a full season I've no doubt they would have amassed 20-30 goals between them.

I agree with your conclusion though.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Certainly no time for complacency on 14:00 - Apr 19 with 440 viewsnoah4x4

"What if we had 11 players that all score 7".......

This year, Ibrehe and Sears have 8 goals, Massey 5, next best merely 3, so that's hardly likely to happen!

Yes, I nearly did add a comment that the flaw in this top scorer table/theory is that it does NOT show who else scored. In Cureton's year of 24, everybody was banging them in; just as today Bournemouth have three amongst leading marksmen. But in most years, it is a single or duo of top gun hot shots that make the difference, and we have not had one, let alone two, for some years.

The fact is, we don't score enough goals...and that's also another reason why we don't get crowds similar to those in the Layer Road Championship years despite the club moving forward a huge distance in most other respects.

Certainly no time for complacency on 14:08 - Apr 19 with 438 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Certainly no time for complacency on 14:00 - Apr 19 by noah4x4

"What if we had 11 players that all score 7".......

This year, Ibrehe and Sears have 8 goals, Massey 5, next best merely 3, so that's hardly likely to happen!

Yes, I nearly did add a comment that the flaw in this top scorer table/theory is that it does NOT show who else scored. In Cureton's year of 24, everybody was banging them in; just as today Bournemouth have three amongst leading marksmen. But in most years, it is a single or duo of top gun hot shots that make the difference, and we have not had one, let alone two, for some years.

The fact is, we don't score enough goals...and that's also another reason why we don't get crowds similar to those in the Layer Road Championship years despite the club moving forward a huge distance in most other respects.

Hardly likely but not impossible, where would that leave your top scorer chart argument then?

I do agree though that we need a goalscorer and as a team we need to score more goals, especially at home. The negative tactics of Lambert and Ward and the one dimensional tactics of Boothroyd have led to a lot of disgruntled home fans and rightly so. Let's hope Joe can turn it round for next season. I would guess that between 80% and 90% of fans only watch the team at home so that's where you need your performances and goals.

Get Freddie fit and let him play every week and he'll be well into double figures next season. Mark my words...

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Certainly no time for complacency on 17:30 - Apr 19 with 429 viewsbwildered

Miraculously, it still in our own hands, and a chance for us not to let others do our dirty work . So lets stay up due to our own deeds, which will be a positive from this season.
How bizarre it would be if we did not pick up any points from the last dozen and still survive, so expect the unexpected .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024