Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saturday afternoon! 14:35 - May 4 with 771 viewsburnsieespana

So what are we all doing instead of following our beloved Col U?
I for one are tending my potted plants in the courtyard where temperature already is well above 30c.......and later the annual painting of the white walls starts, well actually started that yesterday!
Saturday afternoon! on 23:33 - May 4 with 754 viewsBarsidepete

I was on U's Player bouncing around streams in the Championship. Could not believe I experienced nearly the same drama as last weekend when Brentford went from promoted if they make a PK to defeated by Doncaster. (switched to that after the U's game)

So I'm listening to Forest v Leicester for a while and then switch to Hull v Cardiff just before Nick Proschwitz gags on a PK which would have made it 3-1 at 90+3 .. then Cardiff equalize with a PK .. so now Hull supporters are sweating bullets..

..Then on to the stream where Leeds with a late winner at Watford send Hull to the Prem. Talk about strange days. Was fun to listen in.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Saturday afternoon! on 09:22 - May 5 with 739 viewsburnsieespana

Saturday afternoon! on 23:33 - May 4 by Barsidepete

I was on U's Player bouncing around streams in the Championship. Could not believe I experienced nearly the same drama as last weekend when Brentford went from promoted if they make a PK to defeated by Doncaster. (switched to that after the U's game)

So I'm listening to Forest v Leicester for a while and then switch to Hull v Cardiff just before Nick Proschwitz gags on a PK which would have made it 3-1 at 90+3 .. then Cardiff equalize with a PK .. so now Hull supporters are sweating bullets..

..Then on to the stream where Leeds with a late winner at Watford send Hull to the Prem. Talk about strange days. Was fun to listen in.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Easier listening as a neutral though!
Saturday afternoon! on 17:37 - May 6 with 709 viewscarruthers

I shall enjoy having a Saturday afternoon without my grandchildren saying, nah nah nanahnah, Colchester lost again, Wolves lost again, it can get a bit much for a chap.
Saturday afternoon! on 17:44 - May 6 with 707 viewsnoah4x4

Went to Essex cricket Friday.....awful.
Went to Colchester cricket Saturday....awful..
Followed my local cricket team on Sunday....awful
Watching division one play offs on TV today.

Glad to be watching the U's again in three months. At worst that's only one day of pain per weekend.
Saturday afternoon! on 22:38 - May 6 with 691 viewsdurham_exile

Away in Midland this weekend.
Spent Saturday afternoon shopping in Telford.
Evening meal at Shakespeare Inn Coalport - gigantic steak!!!

Happy days

Up the U's

Can't wait for Molineux next season!!!

Durham_exile

Saturday afternoon! on 08:03 - May 7 with 685 viewsBluenWightExile

Already checked date of first round of games in August. Glad of a rest from the anxiety of recent weeks for a bit.
Saturday - working on a picture, but also visit to B&Q now I have found where it is
Sunday - cooking lunch, Sunday Independent to read & a shelf uint designed for my Wisden collection to varnish
Monday - Birdwatching and a drive to a different part of this island I don't know yet.

Pinault-noir

Saturday afternoon! on 09:43 - May 7 with 680 viewsLeadbelly

Saturday afternoon was spent watching Leeds beat Watford. Most enjoyable bit of party pooping!

Sunday was taken up with my nephew's birthday party where a few of us tangled with several pints of Tanglefoot.

Monday clan Leadbelly went to Tate Modern. Very much enjoyed the photography and some of the sculpture but confess I was left unmoved by most of the paintings and installations. Perhaps those more artistically minded boarders could explain how a wooden tea tray painted white qualifies as art. If it is, Ikea must be the biggest gallery in the world.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Saturday afternoon! on 10:52 - May 8 with 664 viewsBluenWightExile

Saturday afternoon! on 09:43 - May 7 by Leadbelly

Saturday afternoon was spent watching Leeds beat Watford. Most enjoyable bit of party pooping!

Sunday was taken up with my nephew's birthday party where a few of us tangled with several pints of Tanglefoot.

Monday clan Leadbelly went to Tate Modern. Very much enjoyed the photography and some of the sculpture but confess I was left unmoved by most of the paintings and installations. Perhaps those more artistically minded boarders could explain how a wooden tea tray painted white qualifies as art. If it is, Ikea must be the biggest gallery in the world.

Ahhhh Whalers! The eternal question.

I am often asked to comment about what Art is.
I am no authority but it seems to me that it's about levels of interest. Many folk will tell you art is what they like or don't and leave it at that, which - after all - is perfectly logical and responsive.

Others, when confronted by art need more.
I guess your question is of this level.
I am like that too. If I look at something & I am engaged by it I mind not whether I like it or not because I am being challenged. We are challenged if we allow ourselves to be I suppose.

Thus, your tea tray challenged you and your conclusion was that it wasn't art. Fine. I'd have agreed.

Maybe those two strange emminent London based artists Gilbert & George have the answer.
They once said "If it talks to you - reaches out to your thinking - then it's art".

In other words, it's up to us as enquirers to decide. We don't to have to like it or even understand it. So, for example, I didn't like Emin's 'tent' or Hirst's encrusted skull but they made me think because they were composed, relatively original objects. To me, that's art. I need to qualify its existence and why it has been installed as it is or constructed, made or represented. I don't have to like it. Much of this has to be about the originality. IKEA may sell millions of similar trays but they didn't think of displaying one as the one you saw.
So I kind of 'get' what the artist might have been doing but not completely and..............I can leave it there and agree with myself as well as deciding I don't like the thing either!

Comprehending art is so tricky.
For most it's whether they have room for it on a shelf or a place on the wall. Job done. Thus the concept of an installation or suchlike is beyond their thought or need for thought.

I have lost count of the times when someone has bought something from me because its colours match their decor! I used to have that, now I just think, it's another £95.

Don't think I have added to the debate but have had a go. Tate modern always challenges me but I'd always sooner go and look at the Palmers iin the Tate itself. His amazing stuff 200 years ago still challenges and pulls me in.

Long may art make us think
Its no different from trying to understand the formation on the ppitch sometimes really is it!!?

Up the U's

Pinault-noir

Login to get fewer ads

Saturday afternoon! on 13:17 - May 8 with 655 viewsLeadbelly

Saturday afternoon! on 10:52 - May 8 by BluenWightExile

Ahhhh Whalers! The eternal question.

I am often asked to comment about what Art is.
I am no authority but it seems to me that it's about levels of interest. Many folk will tell you art is what they like or don't and leave it at that, which - after all - is perfectly logical and responsive.

Others, when confronted by art need more.
I guess your question is of this level.
I am like that too. If I look at something & I am engaged by it I mind not whether I like it or not because I am being challenged. We are challenged if we allow ourselves to be I suppose.

Thus, your tea tray challenged you and your conclusion was that it wasn't art. Fine. I'd have agreed.

Maybe those two strange emminent London based artists Gilbert & George have the answer.
They once said "If it talks to you - reaches out to your thinking - then it's art".

In other words, it's up to us as enquirers to decide. We don't to have to like it or even understand it. So, for example, I didn't like Emin's 'tent' or Hirst's encrusted skull but they made me think because they were composed, relatively original objects. To me, that's art. I need to qualify its existence and why it has been installed as it is or constructed, made or represented. I don't have to like it. Much of this has to be about the originality. IKEA may sell millions of similar trays but they didn't think of displaying one as the one you saw.
So I kind of 'get' what the artist might have been doing but not completely and..............I can leave it there and agree with myself as well as deciding I don't like the thing either!

Comprehending art is so tricky.
For most it's whether they have room for it on a shelf or a place on the wall. Job done. Thus the concept of an installation or suchlike is beyond their thought or need for thought.

I have lost count of the times when someone has bought something from me because its colours match their decor! I used to have that, now I just think, it's another £95.

Don't think I have added to the debate but have had a go. Tate modern always challenges me but I'd always sooner go and look at the Palmers iin the Tate itself. His amazing stuff 200 years ago still challenges and pulls me in.

Long may art make us think
Its no different from trying to understand the formation on the ppitch sometimes really is it!!?

Up the U's

Thanks BWE. Very interesting,

I've never struggled with music, literature or theatre but "art", as in painting, has always been tricky for me.

I did find myself considering many pieces from the "would I have that in the house" perspective but would say that was due to a lack of engagement.

I can appreciate there is an level of skill(art?) employed by the artists but, too often, I couldn't relate to what I was seeing. The disappointment grew when I then read an explanation of the work and was left none the wiser. I think that is why the sculpture and photography appealed to me more. I could just appreciate the physical form for what it was.

I did tag along with a free guided tour for a while but even the explanation of an obvious enthusiast didn't illuminate much for me.

If there is a fault I'm sure it lies with closer to me than the artists. Nevertheless, I shall return to Tate Modern but probably without a 10 year old in tow.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024