Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin 22:04 - Apr 5 with 7505 views73__73

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 22:01 - Apr 6 with 972 viewsAjack_Kerouac

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 16:56 - Apr 6 by vetchonian

Interesting you talk about older players yet Naughton who is about one of our oldest has played almost teh most minutes and looks one of our better players

IT is an intersting debate but like I said I dont buy into the fatigue stuff...managers do it woith certain players to keep them "fresh" yes...but there ids more to our recent uplift than the rest.

It is crazy it has yaken 40 games to leearn the procs and cons yet other managers such as Wilder Cooper and Heckingbotham have had less time to turn their clubs around.

Im warming to Martin ....lets see how we do from here on....Im entitled to my point of view the same as everyone else.

Your post is the most balanced imo.

What has been happening over the last 6-8 weeks is that tactics have been tweaked, Obafemi has come in, the players have started to mix their passing up and go more direct when it's on...and the keeper has had a rest from dropping clangers.

Our possession stats have gone from nearly 70% to around about 60% (a sign that we are mixing up the passing and being more brave with the ball, trying things that might not come off).

If this keeps up and we can tighten up at the back, get a proper Left-Wing back in the side, sign Christie or replace what he brings to the side in the summer, keep hold of the two goalscorers...we might have a good season next season, but let's see the side keep this up. I don't mean wins, although winning regular is always important, I mean playing attacking football instead of possession football.

For me Martin has fecked this season up.
If he does things that make sense this summer and we improve, if we can start off next season looking like a side that wants to take the game to whomever we are playing...then I'll praise him, not before.

I can't comment on the last 2 games as I didn't see them (only the Cardiff highlights).
I'll be there Saturday and will comment on that game.

"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid" - "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - "The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it"

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 22:06 - Apr 6 with 961 viewsWhiterockin

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 22:01 - Apr 6 by Ajack_Kerouac

Your post is the most balanced imo.

What has been happening over the last 6-8 weeks is that tactics have been tweaked, Obafemi has come in, the players have started to mix their passing up and go more direct when it's on...and the keeper has had a rest from dropping clangers.

Our possession stats have gone from nearly 70% to around about 60% (a sign that we are mixing up the passing and being more brave with the ball, trying things that might not come off).

If this keeps up and we can tighten up at the back, get a proper Left-Wing back in the side, sign Christie or replace what he brings to the side in the summer, keep hold of the two goalscorers...we might have a good season next season, but let's see the side keep this up. I don't mean wins, although winning regular is always important, I mean playing attacking football instead of possession football.

For me Martin has fecked this season up.
If he does things that make sense this summer and we improve, if we can start off next season looking like a side that wants to take the game to whomever we are playing...then I'll praise him, not before.

I can't comment on the last 2 games as I didn't see them (only the Cardiff highlights).
I'll be there Saturday and will comment on that game.

Possession was 68% last night.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 22:27 - Apr 6 with 936 viewsAjack_Kerouac

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 22:06 - Apr 6 by Whiterockin

Possession was 68% last night.

League games this year...

League wins with possession around 60% and below
League wins with possession nearer 70%+

Millwall = 68% (Away WIN)
Cardiff = 59% (Away WIN)
Birmingham = 65% (Home DRAW)
Peterborough = 71% (Away WIN - I'll give you that one but then, they are shiiit)
Blackpool = 77% (Away LOSS)
Fulham - 38% (Home LOSS - Totally outplayed)
Coventry = 53% (Home WIN)
West Brom = 59% (Away WIN)
Sheffield Utd = 62% (Away LOSS)
Bristol City = 71% (Home WIN)
Stoke City = 41% (Away Loss - outplayed)
Blackburn = 49% (Home WIN)
Luton = 72% (Home LOSS)
Hull City = 66% (Away Loss)
QPR = 58% (Away DRAW)
Preston NE = 57% (Home WIN)
Huddersfield = 70% (Away DRAW)
[Post edited 6 Apr 2022 22:29]

"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid" - "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - "The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it"

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 22:58 - Apr 6 with 902 viewsbuilthjack

A great appointment. Coming to fruition.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 23:05 - Apr 6 with 896 viewsSTID2017

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 22:27 - Apr 6 by Ajack_Kerouac

Cardiff = 59% (Away WIN)
Peterborough = 71% (Away WIN - I'll give you that one but then, they are shiiit)
Luton = 72% (Home LOSS)
QPR = 58% (Away DRAW)

Missed out Coventry away ( 2-1 win) 59%

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 23:09 - Apr 6 with 892 viewsAjack_Kerouac

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 23:05 - Apr 6 by STID2017

Missed out Coventry away ( 2-1 win) 59%

Coventry away was last November.

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 23:13 - Apr 6 with 882 viewsSTID2017

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 23:09 - Apr 6 by Ajack_Kerouac

Coventry away was last November.

Fair enough.
Just read the "this year" bit

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 23:17 - Apr 6 with 876 viewsSTID2017

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 22:58 - Apr 6 by builthjack

A great appointment. Coming to fruition.

This ^

Login to get fewer ads

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 00:02 - Apr 7 with 865 viewsRichardO

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 23:13 - Apr 6 by STID2017

Fair enough.
Just read the "this year" bit

But surely someone must point out that it's not a valid stat if you don't include the whole season. Presumably the same point made would be valid, so forget my
comment as I don't want to be seen as argumentative.😁
A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 00:14 - Apr 7 with 861 viewsSTID2017

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 00:02 - Apr 7 by RichardO

But surely someone must point out that it's not a valid stat if you don't include the whole season. Presumably the same point made would be valid, so forget my

You be as argumentative as you like Rich.
Nobody's business but yours ...

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 01:02 - Apr 7 with 848 viewsAjack_Kerouac

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 00:02 - Apr 7 by RichardO

Feel free to include the start of the season if you can be arsed to go back and dig out the stats.
I did it from this year because that's when Martin seemed to adapt his tactics, including Obafemi & Piroe in the starting line up for example.

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 07:30 - Apr 7 with 797 viewsMinesapint

Not ready for a big round of applause from me just yet. Hopefully he will settle for a "Well done lad. Keep it up!"
A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 07:46 - Apr 7 with 784 viewsRichardO

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 01:02 - Apr 7 by Ajack_Kerouac

Feel free to include the start of the season if you can be arsed to go back and dig out the stats.
I did it from this year because that's when Martin seemed to adapt his tactics, including Obafemi & Piroe in the starting line up for example.

No I wouldn't be arsed to go back either so I'm with you there although I thought we had a run of good results somewhere in there maybe when Paterson and Piroe started to link up, not talking about a very big run though.🙂
[Post edited 7 Apr 2022 7:54]
A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 08:34 - Apr 7 with 755 viewsWhiterockin

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 22:27 - Apr 6 by Ajack_Kerouac

Cardiff = 59% (Away WIN)
Luton = 72% (Home LOSS)
QPR = 58% (Away DRAW)

Stats can be subjective taking into account the opposition, style of play, injured players, players sent off and when the goals are scored. An example would be last saturday our possession stats were much higher until we scored the second goal. Its good to see that Martin is pro active during a game choosing when we hold and when we press. This is also dependent on the opposition, manager and if their players have the skill and energy to close us down.

Anyway your point is hardly conclusive with five 60% wins against three 70% wins and that drops to three, three over the last 10 games where one could say Martins plan/tactics are starting to reach fruition.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 08:43 - Apr 7 with 732 viewsbennytheblue

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 18:46 - Apr 6 by Fireboy2

You told builthy that you would like to meet up with us before the game because we were going independently and you weren't because you were going in the cardiff end.

I don’t think he was really there, do you? Can’t think of anything worse than having your best ever result v your rivals and being stuck in their end….
A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 08:52 - Apr 7 with 700 viewsSTID2017

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 08:43 - Apr 7 by bennytheblue

I don’t think he was really there, do you? Can’t think of anything worse than having your best ever result v your rivals and being stuck in their end….

Builthy and FB were there, having travelled independently and sipped ale in one of your local hostelries.
Then they took their places in the away section of the stadium.
I believe they celebrated the famous Doube in full voice

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 09:05 - Apr 7 with 687 views73__73

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 08:43 - Apr 7 by bennytheblue

It was absolute bliss listening to the Cardiff fans moan, cry and slag off their own team from start to finish. It was music to my ears

One particular Cardiff fan behind me would constantly shout ‘dog shit’ every time Cardiff made a mistake 😂

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 12:44 - Apr 7 with 632 viewsAjack_Kerouac

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 08:34 - Apr 7 by Whiterockin

Stats can be subjective taking into account the opposition, style of play, injured players, players sent off and when the goals are scored. An example would be last saturday our possession stats were much higher until we scored the second goal. Its good to see that Martin is pro active during a game choosing when we hold and when we press. This is also dependent on the opposition, manager and if their players have the skill and energy to close us down.

Anyway your point is hardly conclusive with five 60% wins against three 70% wins and that drops to three, three over the last 10 games where one could say Martins plan/tactics are starting to reach fruition.

Yes they can be subjectiive, take Birmingham at home for instance...it was only 3 games ago...we dominated possession, we got a draw, but anyone who was there knows that we should have lost by a couple.

Look, why is it that the only teams who average similar possession stats to us are the likes of Man City and Barcelona?
I'll tell you.
It is because they are so much stronger than the teams in their division that most games are wave after wave of attack, attack v defence.
Are we that team?
No.
So why are we the outliers?
Because unlike most teams we have been keeping possession for the sake of it. Our players (& Manager) have not been brave enough to take the game to the opposition.

I played and was half decent. I was a creative player. I can tell you that in order to unlock the defence and create a chance/goal you have to...at some point...play the risky ball or take your man on. Whether you are any good or not (as a creative player in the final third) depends on 2 things...

- Your quality in terms of technique (if you control the ball quicker, have more skill, can beat your man by taking him by surprise, strike the ball properly, judge the bend and the strength of a pass to better standard (more consistently) than other players...you will be more successful in the risks you take than other similar players

- Your bravery. If something doesn't come off you can't let that affect you...if you do you will stop expressing yourself and take less risks...which will lead to you being much less creative.

Man City have 70%+ possession stats because they are so much stronger than the opposition all over the park that when things break down they win that ball back quickly. They continue to take risks, be creative and score goals.

We have 70%+ possession stats because we play (or have been playing) as if we have had our testicles removed.

It's the reason we haven't had any penalties. When we get to a position where we should cross, shoot or take our man on, we tend to bottle it and play it 'safe'....if you don't take your man on in the box and if you don't put enough balls in the box, if you don't shoot enough...then you are unlikely to draw clumsy foul challenges or get handballs or create goalmouth scrambles etc.

Terry Venables once said that he encouraged his teams to think that every time they have a spell of possession (string 6 passes together), then that move must end with either an attempt on goal or a cross into the box.
I remember it 'cos at the time I thought; "yep, that's right...that's the way I think about it on the pitch".

A good team that is dominating the game will invariably have around 60% possession and double the attempts on goal and shots on target.
Good teams play with a purpose.

If you are getting nearly 70% possession and having lots of attempts on goal, great...you are probably an excellent side who is winning things, getting promotions etc.

If you are getting 70% possession and not dominating in terms of chances, you are even losing games because the other team is creating better chances?
Something is wrong...you are playing without purpose. Your players are hiding, they are not being brave with the ball.

That is how we have played all season.
Since Martin has started to tweak things we have scored more goals and have slightly improved.
Winning 2 games in a row does not make us Barcelona...the last game I attended was Birmingham. It was embarrassing.

Our fan base need to keep things in perspective and not get deluded because we would like for everything to be rosy. If Cardiff were making out they were a good team after a shite season, because they won 2 games in a row, we would rightly be mocking them.

I will praise Martin when we play with bravery consistently and tighten up so we are not exposed everytime we lose the ball in midfield.
Bravery does not = suicidal passes at the back in an attempt to keep those possession stats at 70%.

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 13:43 - Apr 7 with 603 viewsmagicdaps10

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 12:44 - Apr 7 by Ajack_Kerouac

Yes they can be subjectiive, take Birmingham at home for instance...it was only 3 games ago...we dominated possession, we got a draw, but anyone who was there knows that we should have lost by a couple.

Look, why is it that the only teams who average similar possession stats to us are the likes of Man City and Barcelona?
I'll tell you.
It is because they are so much stronger than the teams in their division that most games are wave after wave of attack, attack v defence.
Are we that team?
No.
So why are we the outliers?
Because unlike most teams we have been keeping possession for the sake of it. Our players (& Manager) have not been brave enough to take the game to the opposition.

I played and was half decent. I was a creative player. I can tell you that in order to unlock the defence and create a chance/goal you have to...at some point...play the risky ball or take your man on. Whether you are any good or not (as a creative player in the final third) depends on 2 things...

- Your quality in terms of technique (if you control the ball quicker, have more skill, can beat your man by taking him by surprise, strike the ball properly, judge the bend and the strength of a pass to better standard (more consistently) than other players...you will be more successful in the risks you take than other similar players

- Your bravery. If something doesn't come off you can't let that affect you...if you do you will stop expressing yourself and take less risks...which will lead to you being much less creative.

Man City have 70%+ possession stats because they are so much stronger than the opposition all over the park that when things break down they win that ball back quickly. They continue to take risks, be creative and score goals.

We have 70%+ possession stats because we play (or have been playing) as if we have had our testicles removed.

It's the reason we haven't had any penalties. When we get to a position where we should cross, shoot or take our man on, we tend to bottle it and play it 'safe'....if you don't take your man on in the box and if you don't put enough balls in the box, if you don't shoot enough...then you are unlikely to draw clumsy foul challenges or get handballs or create goalmouth scrambles etc.

Terry Venables once said that he encouraged his teams to think that every time they have a spell of possession (string 6 passes together), then that move must end with either an attempt on goal or a cross into the box.
I remember it 'cos at the time I thought; "yep, that's right...that's the way I think about it on the pitch".

A good team that is dominating the game will invariably have around 60% possession and double the attempts on goal and shots on target.
Good teams play with a purpose.

If you are getting nearly 70% possession and having lots of attempts on goal, great...you are probably an excellent side who is winning things, getting promotions etc.

If you are getting 70% possession and not dominating in terms of chances, you are even losing games because the other team is creating better chances?
Something is wrong...you are playing without purpose. Your players are hiding, they are not being brave with the ball.

That is how we have played all season.
Since Martin has started to tweak things we have scored more goals and have slightly improved.
Winning 2 games in a row does not make us Barcelona...the last game I attended was Birmingham. It was embarrassing.

Our fan base need to keep things in perspective and not get deluded because we would like for everything to be rosy. If Cardiff were making out they were a good team after a shite season, because they won 2 games in a row, we would rightly be mocking them.

I will praise Martin when we play with bravery consistently and tighten up so we are not exposed everytime we lose the ball in midfield.
Bravery does not = suicidal passes at the back in an attempt to keep those possession stats at 70%.

Do you mean consistently in the last 3 games where we have kept clean sheets?

I just don't see the consistency in posts like this... Come on, please be fair and consistent otherwise it makes you look silly and creates arguments.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 13:52 - Apr 7 with 597 viewsbuilthjack

Of all the managers we could have had, for the money, Russ is the best pick. He was never going to get us up this season. Anyone in their right mind knows that.
Always a longer plan than this season.
To think otherwise is twp.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 15:07 - Apr 7 with 543 viewsSTID2017

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 13:52 - Apr 7 by builthjack

Of all the managers we could have had, for the money, Russ is the best pick. He was never going to get us up this season. Anyone in their right mind knows that.
Always a longer plan than this season.
To think otherwise is twp.

This in spades ^

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 15:18 - Apr 7 with 523 viewsbennytheblue

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 08:52 - Apr 7 by STID2017

Builthy and FB were there, having travelled independently and sipped ale in one of your local hostelries.
Then they took their places in the away section of the stadium.
I believe they celebrated the famous Doube in full voice

Yeah that’s good and how things should be…..it should never go further than banter, if it does it just reflects badly in the one who feels the need to take it further due to geography. Getting the banter down to perfection is what makes fans stand out. I know in the past we had plenty who enjoyed taking it further, but those days are gone now surely, it’s not 1985 and it ain’t cool.
Me and notloyal will share a pint one day I’m sure of it….pint of something anyway.
A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 15:23 - Apr 7 with 516 viewsmagicdaps10

That possession stat is being rolled out and used without really thinking about the whole picture.

When teams go ahead then they tend to sit back and hold what they have
And/or
The other team then push harder to get the ball as they are chasing the game.

I think people need to look beyond the stat and take the whole process of a football match into their mind.
Ultimately the stat is telling us that when we are winning then we are not in control of the ball as much as we are when we are drawing or losing, we are not in the position to chase the game when we are winning as we are when we are searching to get something out of a game(be that losing or drawing).

Think about it, it really does make sense.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 15:23 - Apr 7 with 515 viewsNotLoyal

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 15:18 - Apr 7 by bennytheblue

Yeah that’s good and how things should be…..it should never go further than banter, if it does it just reflects badly in the one who feels the need to take it further due to geography. Getting the banter down to perfection is what makes fans stand out. I know in the past we had plenty who enjoyed taking it further, but those days are gone now surely, it’s not 1985 and it ain’t cool.
Me and notloyal will share a pint one day I’m sure of it….pint of something anyway.

I’ve been in recovery for seven years can you buy me a diet 7 up.
I prefer a few hours in the gym after work than the pub these days, I’m in training see 😉

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 15:35 - Apr 7 with 502 viewsA_Fans_Dad

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 13:43 - Apr 7 by magicdaps10

Do you mean consistently in the last 3 games where we have kept clean sheets?

I just don't see the consistency in posts like this... Come on, please be fair and consistent otherwise it makes you look silly and creates arguments.

There is a massive difference between keeping "clean sheets" due to denying the opposition scoring chances and relying on them not being able to score when they have clear cut chances.
The latter situation was us against Millwall, they had 13 shots on goal with at least 3 or 4 clear cut chances that they did not take, but should have.
You are kidding yourself if you think possession = clean sheets.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024