Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin 22:04 - Apr 5 with 7560 views73__73

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 00:14 - Apr 9 with 535 viewsSTID2017

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 23:43 - Apr 8 by Dr_Parnassus

Well it’s not the first time he changed the style to what we are seeing now. He did so before Xmas when we went on our run. He then reverted to type again and started the 700+ pass games and we naturally went on a horrendous run.

So I’d say it’s unlikely it’s down to an assistant manager, as that happened when he was still here.

That pattern has happened again too as after the last few decent results he reverted to Martinball at Millwall too. Thankfully we managed to get a win, so I wouldn’t be too shocked to see us try it again tonight (tomorrow for you).

So I’ll keep my powder dry on that one, not enough data to suggest he’s changed styles for the good. As it’s equally likely he hasn’t and is just another phase of doing so before reverting to type.

From now until the end of the season I don’t want to be seeing any more games with 750 or 800 passes and 5% long balls. If we don’t see any more then I’ll start to believe, until that time I’m skeptical.

I have no idea if this is true or not, but to me is seems like he gets a few wins under his belt playing a decent and sensible way… feels he has some wiggle room with the fans so then reverts to type again and does the 700 pass thing until people start getting angry with it… then changes back to get a few wins…

It seems very cyclical. But that could be way off the mark too, just seems to be what the pattern is.

The last point may be a very valid one, that he gets a few wins then feels brave and starts trying to impose his ideal chosen style again.
That said, he seems a very determined ( some would say stubborn ) manager who like Thatcher ( whom I hated, but that is another story ) isn't for turning.
I think that is borne out in the way he dealt with Pato, Obi and Piroe, which I felt showed he is of the mind " It's my way or the highway".
I think you have to be arrogant to be a successful manager, hopefully it will work for him with us.
Time will tell.
That's it from me this morning.
Up early to take the dog for a good walk before going down to the game

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 00:40 - Apr 9 with 511 viewsDr_Parnassus

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 00:14 - Apr 9 by STID2017

The last point may be a very valid one, that he gets a few wins then feels brave and starts trying to impose his ideal chosen style again.
That said, he seems a very determined ( some would say stubborn ) manager who like Thatcher ( whom I hated, but that is another story ) isn't for turning.
I think that is borne out in the way he dealt with Pato, Obi and Piroe, which I felt showed he is of the mind " It's my way or the highway".
I think you have to be arrogant to be a successful manager, hopefully it will work for him with us.
Time will tell.
That's it from me this morning.
Up early to take the dog for a good walk before going down to the game

How nice, can’t disagree.

Although I would say the best managers adapt and very quickly sniff out the best way to attack a game/season.

Martin has done this 700 pass game for 3 seasons now with very limited success where success is being judged over 90 mins and 180 mins as opposed to any real length of time.

We have fantastic set of players. I’ve not seen such technical players as Pato and Piroe at this club for a very long time. There was no reason we couldn’t have pushed for a play off spot this season and we should certainly be aiming to go up next year assuming we keep our stars and maybe even add a few more.

Not that I have anyway, but I won’t be accepting any excuses of ‘building’ and ‘patience’ next season and neither should anyone else. A club can go backwards very quickly when it’s fan base start accepting mediocrity.

It will be interesting that’s for sure.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 06:28 - Apr 9 with 471 views73__73

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 22:08 - Apr 8 by Dr_Parnassus

Learning is key and managers have a duty to do it quickly.

Martin has learned incredibly slowly, but he may have finally got it. Time will tell.

Patience shouldn’t have been a requirement though. If it was then why no patience with players that aren’t playing well. Why bring in Piroe when we had Cullen, just be patient with Cullen etc etc etc

Patience only comes an asset if what we are doing is the correct thing. We were not doing the correct thing by playing that awful style and that style is what people were calling for patience over. That patience was not rewarded as the style has largely been scrapped because it doesn’t work, for the reasons many pointed out long ago.

Incredibly slow ? I don’t think so. Less than a season.

I can name you some big managers who have had huge transfer budgets and taken more than a season to see progress.

I’m very confident that Swansea have got the right man in Russell Martin, the club is moving in the right direction, no doubts

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 07:22 - Apr 9 with 441 viewsDr_Parnassus

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 06:28 - Apr 9 by 73__73

Incredibly slow ? I don’t think so. Less than a season.

I can name you some big managers who have had huge transfer budgets and taken more than a season to see progress.

I’m very confident that Swansea have got the right man in Russell Martin, the club is moving in the right direction, no doubts

40 games to realise that we are better when we play direct with a pacy outlet?

That was obvious after 4.

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 08:07 - Apr 9 with 433 views73__73

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 07:22 - Apr 9 by Dr_Parnassus

40 games to realise that we are better when we play direct with a pacy outlet?

That was obvious after 4.

Why didn’t mangers like Klopp, Ferguson get it right after 4 games ? Because even having the correct manager in place, he still needs to be given time.

So using your logic after 4 games would you have sacked RM ?

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 08:25 - Apr 9 with 424 viewsRichardO

Don't think he has tweaked his system of playing just finally started playing his players in positions they are comfortable and capable of(see Vetch's comments with regards position management)

He has lost during this season, six of his first team players that finished the season last year(Lowe, Ayew, Bidwell, Guehi, Hourihane and Roberts),seven if you include the fact that he ignored Fulton.

Not a small rebuild job if you also accept the fact that some of the players left are coming to the end of their careers and are less effective, with the exception of Naughton whose shift of position has confirmed his Premiership quality but even he is getting on and is not as quick as he once was and will need replacing soon.

Yes he had new players in but
1. Obafemi was out for three months at the start of the season, why would you risk rushing someone with a bad injury history back when Piroe and Paterson had started getting a good partnership.
2.We had started to get some good results until Paterson's issues.
3 Ntcham who looks another quality player is struggling to play 90mins effectively.
It may be a fact that the players we had in, had their issues that need to be sorted.
4 Rhys Williams was never given a consistent run in his correct position and may have helped our defensive issues.

Laird, Rhys Williams and Bidwell all left mid-season and as did a number of younger players who had not featured prominently last season.

Has Martin mismanaged some of his players?
Has he had a lot of issues to deal with?
Do things look better given that we have lost what could be considered key players for games and were able to get results of late?
Still issues to be addressed but is Martin slowly getting there?
[Post edited 9 Apr 2022 8:27]
A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 08:33 - Apr 9 with 415 views73__73

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 08:25 - Apr 9 by RichardO

Don't think he has tweaked his system of playing just finally started playing his players in positions they are comfortable and capable of(see Vetch's comments with regards position management)

He has lost during this season, six of his first team players that finished the season last year(Lowe, Ayew, Bidwell, Guehi, Hourihane and Roberts),seven if you include the fact that he ignored Fulton.

Not a small rebuild job if you also accept the fact that some of the players left are coming to the end of their careers and are less effective, with the exception of Naughton whose shift of position has confirmed his Premiership quality but even he is getting on and is not as quick as he once was and will need replacing soon.

Yes he had new players in but
1. Obafemi was out for three months at the start of the season, why would you risk rushing someone with a bad injury history back when Piroe and Paterson had started getting a good partnership.
2.We had started to get some good results until Paterson's issues.
3 Ntcham who looks another quality player is struggling to play 90mins effectively.
It may be a fact that the players we had in, had their issues that need to be sorted.
4 Rhys Williams was never given a consistent run in his correct position and may have helped our defensive issues.

Laird, Rhys Williams and Bidwell all left mid-season and as did a number of younger players who had not featured prominently last season.

Has Martin mismanaged some of his players?
Has he had a lot of issues to deal with?
Do things look better given that we have lost what could be considered key players for games and were able to get results of late?
Still issues to be addressed but is Martin slowly getting there?
[Post edited 9 Apr 2022 8:27]

Of course there’s always room to improve, but I agree RM is slowly getting there.

Some on here not long ago wanted him sacked

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 09:15 - Apr 9 with 407 viewsRichardO

To be honest the last four points made on my post were questions but given the points tally in the last eight games,if taken in isolation would point to some improvement.

Though some would disagree cause they know better.

Having said that, there are still weaknesses and we will get caught out but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Try and enjoy today's game👍
[Post edited 9 Apr 2022 9:18]
Login to get fewer ads

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 10:05 - Apr 9 with 386 viewsDr_Parnassus

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 08:07 - Apr 9 by 73__73

Why didn’t mangers like Klopp, Ferguson get it right after 4 games ? Because even having the correct manager in place, he still needs to be given time.

So using your logic after 4 games would you have sacked RM ?

Get “what” right would be the question.

As I keep saying, patience to perfect a system that works, no issue with that.

Patience to make a flawed system slightly less flawed, that’s what I have an issue with.

Klopp and Ferguson would have come under the former rather than the latter.

I wouldn’t have sacked RM after 4 games no, but I would certainly have raised the issue (like I did on here) that persisting with this style of play will end up in a poor season - which it has.

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 10:08 - Apr 9 with 383 viewsDr_Parnassus

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 08:33 - Apr 9 by 73__73

Of course there’s always room to improve, but I agree RM is slowly getting there.

Some on here not long ago wanted him sacked

Which is a natural reaction to a manager underperforming and appearing to refuse to learn.

If he has suddenly seen the light then great, but as I said, it should have happened 35+ games ago.

We will see how we go from here.

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 10:33 - Apr 9 with 363 viewsAndyCole

Martin clearly isn't as bright as he likes to portray himself. Way too slow to adapt.

There are two distinct camps on these forums right now:

- the happy clapper, emotive, shallow thinkers with bottom quartile standards

- the rational, analytical deep thinkers, with high standards and levels of expectation founded upon previous successes at our Club.  Where 6th and 4th ought to be the benchmark esp for those of us accustomed to winning effective, efficient and entertaining football (to those of us who enjoy seeing us play to win)

Highly entertaining of late witnessing the first bunch ride their clumsy waves of fraught emotion, without pausing to think before they post.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 11:20 - Apr 9 with 347 viewsFireboy2

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 10:33 - Apr 9 by AndyCole

Martin clearly isn't as bright as he likes to portray himself. Way too slow to adapt.

There are two distinct camps on these forums right now:

- the happy clapper, emotive, shallow thinkers with bottom quartile standards

- the rational, analytical deep thinkers, with high standards and levels of expectation founded upon previous successes at our Club.  Where 6th and 4th ought to be the benchmark esp for those of us accustomed to winning effective, efficient and entertaining football (to those of us who enjoy seeing us play to win)

Highly entertaining of late witnessing the first bunch ride their clumsy waves of fraught emotion, without pausing to think before they post.

Do not, I repeat, do not feed the troll.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024