Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin 22:04 - Apr 5 with 7565 views73__73

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 15:39 - Apr 7 with 886 viewsSTID2017

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 15:18 - Apr 7 by bennytheblue

Yeah that’s good and how things should be…..it should never go further than banter, if it does it just reflects badly in the one who feels the need to take it further due to geography. Getting the banter down to perfection is what makes fans stand out. I know in the past we had plenty who enjoyed taking it further, but those days are gone now surely, it’s not 1985 and it ain’t cool.
Me and notloyal will share a pint one day I’m sure of it….pint of something anyway.

Totally agree.
As you say banter, swimaway and slapping heads is one thing, violence and innocent people getting hurt and property getting damaged is another.
It may be a long time before we return to the normality of all making independent trips from SA1 to Legoland and vice versa.
I would love to have gone, but nine hours out of the house for a game 45 mins away was not something I fancied.
Wish I had seen the game live though.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 16:22 - Apr 7 with 855 viewsAjack_Kerouac

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 15:23 - Apr 7 by magicdaps10

That possession stat is being rolled out and used without really thinking about the whole picture.

When teams go ahead then they tend to sit back and hold what they have
And/or
The other team then push harder to get the ball as they are chasing the game.

I think people need to look beyond the stat and take the whole process of a football match into their mind.
Ultimately the stat is telling us that when we are winning then we are not in control of the ball as much as we are when we are drawing or losing, we are not in the position to chase the game when we are winning as we are when we are searching to get something out of a game(be that losing or drawing).

Think about it, it really does make sense.

TRIGGER WARNING - Reading this post may result in hurty feelings

I've looked beyond the stat and we are 14th with a goal difference of -6.

Before the last 2 games we had;

- Drawn at home with Birmingham, a game we really should have lost. EVERYBODY sat around me were grumbling throughout. EVERYBODY.

- Just managed to beat the worst team in the league by the skin of our teeth.

- Lost to Blackpool (who are also poor) away

- Got hammered at home by Fulham

...but let me get this straight, we are all supposed to pretend that Russell Martin has achieved something fantastic and anyone who disagrees needs to be 'Cancelled' as a Swans fan.
Take more water with it gents.

[Post edited 7 Apr 2022 16:24]

"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid" - "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - "The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it"

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 17:14 - Apr 7 with 824 viewsvetchonian

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 15:23 - Apr 7 by magicdaps10

That possession stat is being rolled out and used without really thinking about the whole picture.

When teams go ahead then they tend to sit back and hold what they have
And/or
The other team then push harder to get the ball as they are chasing the game.

I think people need to look beyond the stat and take the whole process of a football match into their mind.
Ultimately the stat is telling us that when we are winning then we are not in control of the ball as much as we are when we are drawing or losing, we are not in the position to chase the game when we are winning as we are when we are searching to get something out of a game(be that losing or drawing).

Think about it, it really does make sense.

Yet many were purring on here over the possession stats earlier in the season.

Based on your logic Martin' sides have never really won many games as they have always toppped the possesion stat table

Last season MKDons topped that table had a win percentage of 39% this season to date we top the possesion stats table...and have a win percentage of 38.4% there seems to be a correlation there.

Look over the last two games I think there has been a shift in how we use the ball when we have it...others of talked too of triangles players moving more off the ball and lots of balls in to the box or channels for Obafemi to run onto.

It seems to be working but lets nit stick with this was always RMs plan...and also we were "crap" against Brum lucky not to lose 3 nil.

We seem to have moved on from there a lot of euphoria after the historic double and I must say a well earned win at in form Millwall but there were still a few squeky bum moents when tapping teh ball around in our defensive third.

RM uses teh possesion stat himself read articles and the interviews he has given ...he talks about keeping and controlling the ball.

So as you say the stat tells us we are not in control of the ball when we are winning ...seems RM has topped the possesion table mostly in his career so that tells us he hasnt been used to winning or worked out how to win .

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 17:27 - Apr 7 with 815 viewsbennytheblue

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 15:23 - Apr 7 by NotLoyal

I’ve been in recovery for seven years can you buy me a diet 7 up.
I prefer a few hours in the gym after work than the pub these days, I’m in training see 😉

In gym about five times a week myself….lost almost 2 stone in last 5 months. Down to a nimble 11.5 now. I barely drink either, I’ve done enough partying for a few life’s, it’s all about my kids and staying healthy nowadays. Good on you for 7 yrs.
A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 17:36 - Apr 7 with 809 viewsSTID2017

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 17:27 - Apr 7 by bennytheblue

In gym about five times a week myself….lost almost 2 stone in last 5 months. Down to a nimble 11.5 now. I barely drink either, I’ve done enough partying for a few life’s, it’s all about my kids and staying healthy nowadays. Good on you for 7 yrs.

Good post and I concur.
Well done on your health regime too Benny

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 20:32 - Apr 7 with 778 viewsvetchonian

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 23:10 - Apr 5 by STID2017

Prefer that to Barmy Army.
Bit of a mouthful to sing after a few pints though ?

it began as Johnny Toshacks Black and white army

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 21:44 - Apr 7 with 747 viewsAndyCole

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 17:14 - Apr 7 by vetchonian

Yet many were purring on here over the possession stats earlier in the season.

Based on your logic Martin' sides have never really won many games as they have always toppped the possesion stat table

Last season MKDons topped that table had a win percentage of 39% this season to date we top the possesion stats table...and have a win percentage of 38.4% there seems to be a correlation there.

Look over the last two games I think there has been a shift in how we use the ball when we have it...others of talked too of triangles players moving more off the ball and lots of balls in to the box or channels for Obafemi to run onto.

It seems to be working but lets nit stick with this was always RMs plan...and also we were "crap" against Brum lucky not to lose 3 nil.

We seem to have moved on from there a lot of euphoria after the historic double and I must say a well earned win at in form Millwall but there were still a few squeky bum moents when tapping teh ball around in our defensive third.

RM uses teh possesion stat himself read articles and the interviews he has given ...he talks about keeping and controlling the ball.

So as you say the stat tells us we are not in control of the ball when we are winning ...seems RM has topped the possesion table mostly in his career so that tells us he hasnt been used to winning or worked out how to win .

Interesting stat that Vetch : Possession % : Win % Ratio.

Should be a headline KPI, at the Club and amongst fans as a proper talking point, esp when assessing a team 'in transition'. The balance has to be right. With the Win bit at the forefront of all meaningful discussions.

The midfield was phenomenal against Millwall. The Grimes-Fults chemistry gave us the platform to take measured risks and kick on into 2nd phase. With Piroe dropping to receive 2nd phase, and at the same time Oba giving us a credible out-ball up top we were sublime at times.

I think the Naughts - Grimes - Fults - Piroe - Oba spine can take massive credit for that performance.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 22:19 - Apr 7 with 731 viewsSTID2017

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 20:32 - Apr 7 by vetchonian

it began as Johnny Toshacks Black and white army

The first time I heard it was in Stoke in the League Cup (August 1980 I think ?)
" So and so's Red and White Army" over and over for what seemed like half a match.
Seemed quite intimidating at the time.
Sure we adopted it after that ?
EDIT - just checked it was August 1979
[Post edited 7 Apr 2022 22:21]

Login to get fewer ads

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 22:23 - Apr 7 with 728 viewsFireboy2

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 21:44 - Apr 7 by AndyCole

Interesting stat that Vetch : Possession % : Win % Ratio.

Should be a headline KPI, at the Club and amongst fans as a proper talking point, esp when assessing a team 'in transition'. The balance has to be right. With the Win bit at the forefront of all meaningful discussions.

The midfield was phenomenal against Millwall. The Grimes-Fults chemistry gave us the platform to take measured risks and kick on into 2nd phase. With Piroe dropping to receive 2nd phase, and at the same time Oba giving us a credible out-ball up top we were sublime at times.

I think the Naughts - Grimes - Fults - Piroe - Oba spine can take massive credit for that performance.

You don't like downes do you?

You will be happy when he gets picked up by a PLside next season then.
A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 22:48 - Apr 7 with 701 viewsAndyCole

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 22:23 - Apr 7 by Fireboy2

You don't like downes do you?

You will be happy when he gets picked up by a PLside next season then.

Ah, a respectful response worthy of response.

I think Downes has hampered our go-fwd all season. From the moment he was introduced, getting stuck under Grimesy's feet, being benched for it, to the senseless lunging and the pointless tippy tappy 3yd give-and go in no mans land.

We saw against Millwall how Grimesy and Fults (drawing upon proper heritage) were THE difference to everything we did. Grimes was playing on altogether different plane to all others because of it. Some of his risk taking was off the scale.

I will be happy for Downes should he get a good deal and I will be ecstatic for our Cloob should we get more than we paid. We can, and have done better without him, as per Millwall as the very best case in point.

Much of this opinion will ofc fly in the face of the many (I shan't say sheeple) who luvs a lunging, desperate trier who gets loadsa yellow cards, innit.

What are your thoughts Fireboy ?

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 22:56 - Apr 7 with 697 viewsSTID2017

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 22:48 - Apr 7 by AndyCole

I think Downes has hampered our go-fwd all season. From the moment he was introduced, getting stuck under Grimesy's feet, being benched for it, to the senseless lunging and the pointless tippy tappy 3yd give-and go in no mans land.

We saw against Millwall how Grimesy and Fults (drawing upon proper heritage) were THE difference to everything we did. Grimes was playing on altogether different plane to all others because of it. Some of his risk taking was off the scale.

I will be happy for Downes should he get a good deal and I will be ecstatic for our Cloob should we get more than we paid. We can, and have done better without him, as per Millwall as the very best case in point.

Much of this opinion will ofc fly in the face of the many (I shan't say sheeple) who luvs a lunging, desperate trier who gets loadsa yellow cards, innit.

I think if available, Downes will play.
Fulton is the unfortunate spare man in the squad who will make way for him.
One point on pointless passing ( I agree Grimes has played really well the last to games but ) what an earth was that 25 yard back pass to Fulton that resulted in a corner ?
Possibly down to no one telling him he ( Grimes) had acres of space and time to turn and move forward ?
Apart from that the last two games have probably been up there with his best ( although I do wish he would stay away from corners )

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 23:13 - Apr 7 with 688 viewsFireboy2

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 22:48 - Apr 7 by AndyCole

What about posting about the game that really mattered? The game on Saturday when downes played, not the last one where downes didn't play.

I truly hope that downes doesn't get picked up as we will need him for the promotion push next season, btw if your mates grimes was THAT good surely he would have been picked up last Aug or this Jan, you agree? Or will you come out with another load of bluster to make yourself feel good.
A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 23:32 - Apr 7 with 667 viewsAndyCole

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 22:56 - Apr 7 by STID2017

I think if available, Downes will play.
Fulton is the unfortunate spare man in the squad who will make way for him.
One point on pointless passing ( I agree Grimes has played really well the last to games but ) what an earth was that 25 yard back pass to Fulton that resulted in a corner ?
Possibly down to no one telling him he ( Grimes) had acres of space and time to turn and move forward ?
Apart from that the last two games have probably been up there with his best ( although I do wish he would stay away from corners )

For me Fults has to play - the momentum from Millwall has to stick.

Cardiff was a one-off derby with emotions flying. Not a decent benchmark.

As they say: keep with a winning formula. The Grimes-Fults combo is a winning one, and they both know it. Built upon winning ways and a mentality inculcated by Cooper. Pretty sure if you asked Grimesy who would he pick - it's Fults all day long.

Why on earth choose to focus on one poss error out of the massively high level of risk taking that uber confident Grimesy did in the heat of battle ? Time and again. Breathtakingly, at times. Our Captain and leader of brand Martin ?

We need Grimes-Fults. It's too obvious. Trouble is Martin isn't yet capable of seeing it or at least admitting to seeing it. A proper ongoing flaw.

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 23:45 - Apr 7 with 656 viewsSTID2017

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 23:32 - Apr 7 by AndyCole

For me Fults has to play - the momentum from Millwall has to stick.

Cardiff was a one-off derby with emotions flying. Not a decent benchmark.

As they say: keep with a winning formula. The Grimes-Fults combo is a winning one, and they both know it. Built upon winning ways and a mentality inculcated by Cooper. Pretty sure if you asked Grimesy who would he pick - it's Fults all day long.

Why on earth choose to focus on one poss error out of the massively high level of risk taking that uber confident Grimesy did in the heat of battle ? Time and again. Breathtakingly, at times. Our Captain and leader of brand Martin ?

We need Grimes-Fults. It's too obvious. Trouble is Martin isn't yet capable of seeing it or at least admitting to seeing it. A proper ongoing flaw.

Downes is by far the most intelligent player we have ( although he is a hot head at times ).
I am sure he will go onto higher things, if not in the summer, then maybe next year.
I mentioned the back pass not as a criticism ( as I said thought Grimes has been excellent the last two games ).
I was just stunned and couldn't figure out why someone didn't shout to him to turn and move forward ?
I do think also that as much as Martin is to blame when things are bad ( like the Stoke, Sheff Utd or even Brum home ), you have to give him due credit when things go right, as in these last two games.
Would you agree ?

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 00:18 - Apr 8 with 645 viewsAndyCole

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 23:45 - Apr 7 by STID2017

Downes is by far the most intelligent player we have ( although he is a hot head at times ).
I am sure he will go onto higher things, if not in the summer, then maybe next year.
I mentioned the back pass not as a criticism ( as I said thought Grimes has been excellent the last two games ).
I was just stunned and couldn't figure out why someone didn't shout to him to turn and move forward ?
I do think also that as much as Martin is to blame when things are bad ( like the Stoke, Sheff Utd or even Brum home ), you have to give him due credit when things go right, as in these last two games.
Would you agree ?

No I wouldn't agree.

I believe Grimes and the senior players wrested control, drew upon their winning heritage (under Coops) and absolutely took the game to a bamboozled Millwall.

You clearly underestimate the chemistry of the fulcrum. And the seismic effect this has on the troop. When Grimesy is on point, the entire team is on point. Grimesy is rarely on point with Downs alongside. He always has Downes to cover for, just in case.

Martin is playing catch up. Catching up to our very best gems of combinations already established under Coops. Stuff he may not ever see with his narrow, shallow preconceptions.

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 07:25 - Apr 8 with 605 viewsbuilthjack

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 23:09 - Apr 6 by Ajack_Kerouac

Coventry away was last November.

Have you been sent to Coventry?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 08:10 - Apr 8 with 596 viewsmagicdaps10

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 16:16 - Apr 6 by bennytheblue

You were calling for his head a few weeks ago on here ffs…..you lot are priceless

Plenty have wanted him gone since week 1 Benny 😂

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 08:28 - Apr 8 with 584 viewsSTID2017

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 00:18 - Apr 8 by AndyCole

No I wouldn't agree.

I believe Grimes and the senior players wrested control, drew upon their winning heritage (under Coops) and absolutely took the game to a bamboozled Millwall.

You clearly underestimate the chemistry of the fulcrum. And the seismic effect this has on the troop. When Grimesy is on point, the entire team is on point. Grimesy is rarely on point with Downs alongside. He always has Downes to cover for, just in case.

Martin is playing catch up. Catching up to our very best gems of combinations already established under Coops. Stuff he may not ever see with his narrow, shallow preconceptions.

Martin is, I feel ( and think he has demonstrated ) a very determined and at times stubborn, strong manager.
He is not the type to allow players to wrestle control.
His handling of Pato, Obi and Piroe have demonstrated that.
Any success ( and failures ) this season are down to him.
I am sure most fans will accept a decent run of form and most importantly performances between now and the end of the season.
If you criticise a manager when things go wrong, then it is only right and proper he gets the praise when things go right.
16 points out of the last 24, if replicated over 46 games next season, would give us 92 points and automatic promotion.
So credit where it is due to Martin and the squad of players

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 08:53 - Apr 8 with 569 viewsWhiterockin

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 00:18 - Apr 8 by AndyCole

No I wouldn't agree.

Half the team were not here under Cooper including the 3 up front who took the game to Millwall.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 08:56 - Apr 8 with 564 viewsvetchonian

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 08:10 - Apr 8 by magicdaps10

Plenty have wanted him gone since week 1 Benny 😂

Another distortion of the facts.....many questioned him early on but I do not recall many including myself admittedly one of his biggest critics calling for his head....

Questionin g his capabiltiy yes...and also praising when he has got it rgight as he seems to have since the break....tweaked the style to use the ball and become more attack focused.

Football fans eh......didnt you have a word or two to say about our previous manager?

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 09:05 - Apr 8 with 547 viewsSTID2017

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 08:53 - Apr 8 by Whiterockin

Half the team were not here under Cooper including the 3 up front who took the game to Millwall.

Good point that,
Of those who remain, I can't imagine Grimes and Naughton being the types to stage a players rebellion ...

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 09:21 - Apr 8 with 519 viewsvetchonian

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 08:53 - Apr 8 by Whiterockin

which is why also Martin hasnt had to "knock" the last two seasons of brainwashing out tof them that so many have spoken of.

I dont believe Grimes and Fulton "wrested control" I believew Martin has told the team to play differently he has had an epiphany ( or some one one has offered some advice maybe) that using the ball rathr than keeping the ball will be better.

the players did "take control" at Bristol City away when we won but Martin made comment on this in his post match presser ...I doubt if any playerwould do so again.

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 09:22 - Apr 8 with 517 viewsWhiterockin

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 08:56 - Apr 8 by vetchonian

Another distortion of the facts.....many questioned him early on but I do not recall many including myself admittedly one of his biggest critics calling for his head....

Questionin g his capabiltiy yes...and also praising when he has got it rgight as he seems to have since the break....tweaked the style to use the ball and become more attack focused.

Football fans eh......didnt you have a word or two to say about our previous manager?

How much, if any, of the tweaking is down to the departure of Luke Williams. Just asking the question, someone like Jasper will have good feel for this.

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 09:25 - Apr 8 with 507 viewsWhiterockin

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 09:21 - Apr 8 by vetchonian

which is why also Martin hasnt had to "knock" the last two seasons of brainwashing out tof them that so many have spoken of.

I dont believe Grimes and Fulton "wrested control" I believew Martin has told the team to play differently he has had an epiphany ( or some one one has offered some advice maybe) that using the ball rathr than keeping the ball will be better.

the players did "take control" at Bristol City away when we won but Martin made comment on this in his post match presser ...I doubt if any playerwould do so again.

See my question above regarding the departure of Luke Williams.

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 09:42 - Apr 8 with 496 viewsvetchonian

A big round of applause for Russell Kenneth Alexander Martin on 09:25 - Apr 8 by Whiterockin

See my question above regarding the departure of Luke Williams.

That is an interesting point maybe this is the difference

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024