Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Other Side of the Coin 09:33 - Dec 23 with 3889 viewsBerber

So this partial extract explains why the media and parts of the medical establishment fail their duty to the public. This is part of an article from the Daily Telegraph, reflecting medic on medic criticism (as opposed to political leaning) of prominent forecasting and publicity.

"The Covid modellers at Imperial College have begun to back down. About time too. Over the past few weeks, they have made extreme claims about the omicron variant that cannot be fully justified by fundamental science, let alone by clinical observation.

Academic etiquette restrains direct criticism, but immunologists say privately that Professor Neil Ferguson and his team breached a cardinal rule by inferring rates of hospitalisation, severe disease, and death from waning antibodies, and by extrapolating from infections that break through the first line of vaccine defence.

The rest are entitled to question whether they can legitimately do this. And we may certainly question whether they should be putting out terrifying claims of up to 5,000 deaths a day based on antibody counts.

“It is bad science and I think they’re being irresponsible. They have a duty to reflect the true risks but this is just headline grabbing,” said Dr Clive Dix, former chairman of the UK Vaccine Task Force."

Ferguson's (one of the first, "One rule for me, and another, lot harder one for you lot." brigade), work can be characterised by First to Market, Extreme Dire warnings, get the headlines.

Thank goodness the government have been far more cautious about clamping down this time around. It has been pretty obvious for a week of UK figures about Omicron (let alone the from S Africa and Denmark) that this variant is not as dangerous as Delta. I understand the need to "check see" regarding hospitalisations, but all the real world and medical evidence point towards a need for nothing more than be safe for yourself (distance and testing for me) and considerate towards others (masks and distance) from now on.

With 90% of those in CC being unvaccinated, the rest of us should be allowed to crack on with our lives, and apart from protecting those who cannot protect themselves, we shouldn't be constrained by perceived duty towards a reckless minority who neither need not want this social protection.
The Other Side of the Coin on 08:15 - Dec 26 with 792 viewsBerber

The Other Side of the Coin on 18:10 - Dec 24 by saint68

So you'd have given your backing to send infected people back to nursing homes and made individuals so scared of going to hospital they'd prefer to die at home with their family...thats basically where you're at MR expert!!!

Because that is exactly what happened Champ.
[Post edited 24 Dec 2021 18:17]

I have a friend who was head of pathology at a top rated hospital. His worst nightmares nearly always revolved around staff, both nurses and doctors completely disregarding basic cleanliness procedures. Same thing at nursing homes, good intentions do not equate to good practise. Sending patients out of hospital to nursing homes was more to do with the administrators.

Keeping contagious people out of hospitals is not just a UK thing. My wife caught an extremely nasty summer sickness virus when we were in Sweden, the doctor's advice was "For God's sake don't take her to the hospital." Similarly, the Swedish approach to over 70s in the early phases of Covid was to let them die peacefully (haha, like suffocating in a nursing home was peaceful).
The Other Side of the Coin on 14:35 - Dec 26 with 691 viewssledger

this virus makes medical experts important,they wont want to let it go
The Other Side of the Coin on 19:05 - Dec 27 with 628 viewsBison

Anyone who puts total trust in Scientist should read about the Trinity test for the atomic bomb. Some were split whether it would work or not whilst others though it might ignite the earths atmosphere basically destroying life as we know it , you know what they decided to do ? I guess they thought the risks were worth it and they were proved right.... LoL !!!!

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

The Other Side of the Coin on 12:28 - Dec 29 with 499 viewsBerber

The Other Side of the Coin on 19:05 - Dec 27 by Bison

Anyone who puts total trust in Scientist should read about the Trinity test for the atomic bomb. Some were split whether it would work or not whilst others though it might ignite the earths atmosphere basically destroying life as we know it , you know what they decided to do ? I guess they thought the risks were worth it and they were proved right.... LoL !!!!

I guess there is a natural "flight" reaction to danger. It is right that the first response is to treat risk seriously. However, even scientists are sometimes unable to shake of the initial reaction, despite other experience and logic telling them that the risk is not so great. The adrenaline shock and the memory of it keep echoing. Some people are afraid of the dark, ghosts and demons, despite only having actual experience of the dark (when presumably no harm came to them). But that is another topic for another day. It reminds me of that old joke "Remain standing if you have made love to a ghost...."
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024