Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our unbeaten run 11:57 - Jan 29 with 1031 viewssaint22

Can someone clarify why there is this debate about how many games?
Surely if we are on an unbeaten run it goes back to the last time lost irrespective of the competition ?
Our unbeaten run on 12:07 - Jan 29 with 1000 viewsBLEEDRED

I look on it has we are on 2 unbeaten runs !! 1-overall games played
2= League games played
Our unbeaten run on 14:49 - Jan 29 with 913 viewsTimSaint

Nick has already done a piece on this

TimSaint

Our unbeaten run on 19:35 - Jan 29 with 814 viewsLondonSaint76

OK Saint 22 I will try my best.

Statisticians are partly to blame as some only keep stats on certain competitions. The most obvious example of that is League matches only. As the League you play in normally accounts for a lions share of the total games a club plays and the fact the most Leagues (bar the PL) have been around a long time they will generate their own stand alone stats every season as another chapter in their ongoing history. I would say there is a case for League only stats as it is such a big part of the season. Others may disagree…

Those that do disagree would champion the all competition stats. I can see both sides of the argument on this; all comp stats are exactly what it says on the tin, it is the run of games since you were last beaten in any and all competitions.

For a lot of Clubs a cup defeat can blow a hole in an all comps run and when that happens the unbeaten run of League games then gets more prominently referenced as it is now the better looking stat. You could even say there is an element of spin in it as the most favourable of the two stats will get referenced by anyone trying to paint the Club in its most positive light.

We are in a slightly unusual position this season in that we crashed and burned very early in the League Cup at Gillingham and not that long after started off on the marathon (still ongoing) run of unbeaten games in the League and in addition have yet to lose an FA Cup tie so we have a 20 match unbeaten League run under our belt and a 22 match unbeaten run in all comps.

By my reckoning RM smashed our all time all comps unbeaten run record on Sunday at Watford and that’s in the entire history of the Club since 1885. The previous all comps unbeaten record of 21 games has stood since the mid 1890’s. If you go with the League games only all time record, that stands at 24 games from the same mid-1890’s period but in that run we lost an FA Cup tie but as it is League games only it does not get included. Now, this record has its detractors as it was set in the Southern League, so technically a ‘non-League’ record not a Football League record (which RM has already equalled).

The more you delve into this the more variations you can come up with - what’s that old saying? There’s lies, damned lies, then there’s statistics. Something like that anyway…. At the end of the day if you strip all the variations away and just look at the total number of games played since we last lost a game in any competition then it is 22 games and counting - and that’s an all time Club record since 1885. Well done RM.

Hope that helps ⚽️🙂⚽️
[Post edited 29 Jan 19:48]

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

Our unbeaten run on 20:04 - Jan 29 with 769 viewshedgeend61

Our unbeaten run on 19:35 - Jan 29 by LondonSaint76

Statisticians are partly to blame as some only keep stats on certain competitions. The most obvious example of that is League matches only. As the League you play in normally accounts for a lions share of the total games a club plays and the fact the most Leagues (bar the PL) have been around a long time they will generate their own stand alone stats every season as another chapter in their ongoing history. I would say there is a case for League only stats as it is such a big part of the season. Others may disagree…

Those that do disagree would champion the all competition stats. I can see both sides of the argument on this; all comp stats are exactly what it says on the tin, it is the run of games since you were last beaten in any and all competitions.

For a lot of Clubs a cup defeat can blow a hole in an all comps run and when that happens the unbeaten run of League games then gets more prominently referenced as it is now the better looking stat. You could even say there is an element of spin in it as the most favourable of the two stats will get referenced by anyone trying to paint the Club in its most positive light.

We are in a slightly unusual position this season in that we crashed and burned very early in the League Cup at Gillingham and not that long after started off on the marathon (still ongoing) run of unbeaten games in the League and in addition have yet to lose an FA Cup tie so we have a 20 match unbeaten League run under our belt and a 22 match unbeaten run in all comps.

By my reckoning RM smashed our all time all comps unbeaten run record on Sunday at Watford and that’s in the entire history of the Club since 1885. The previous all comps unbeaten record of 21 games has stood since the mid 1890’s. If you go with the League games only all time record, that stands at 24 games from the same mid-1890’s period but in that run we lost an FA Cup tie but as it is League games only it does not get included. Now, this record has its detractors as it was set in the Southern League, so technically a ‘non-League’ record not a Football League record (which RM has already equalled).

The more you delve into this the more variations you can come up with - what’s that old saying? There’s lies, damned lies, then there’s statistics. Something like that anyway…. At the end of the day if you strip all the variations away and just look at the total number of games played since we last lost a game in any competition then it is 22 games and counting - and that’s an all time Club record since 1885. Well done RM.

Hope that helps ⚽️🙂⚽️

Do you honestly think he's gonna keep up with that?

You think we need a new striker?, window shutting soon.
[Post edited 29 Jan 20:05]
Our unbeaten run on 21:42 - Jan 29 with 702 viewsTimSaint

Our unbeaten run on 19:35 - Jan 29 by LondonSaint76

Hope that helps ⚽️🙂⚽️

Without being too pedantic

8th August was the Gillingham defeat.
30th September was the win over Leeds that kick-started our unbeaten run.

I'm of the view that our run is currently 22, so includes cup games.
If we get knocked out of the cup, our unbeaten run will continue in the league, as per what Nick already said in a separate thread about Arsenal's invincible s.

TimSaint

Our unbeaten run on 22:11 - Jan 29 with 654 viewsLondonSaint76

Our unbeaten run on 21:42 - Jan 29 by TimSaint

Without being too pedantic

8th August was the Gillingham defeat.
30th September was the win over Leeds that kick-started our unbeaten run.

I'm of the view that our run is currently 22, so includes cup games.
If we get knocked out of the cup, our unbeaten run will continue in the league, as per what Nick already said in a separate thread about Arsenal's invincible s.

Fair point TS - I'd forgotten it was the 1st Round as we are no longer in the Prem so actually a lot more time between the LC defeat and our unbeaten run starting.

As I have said, I can see both sides of this, 20/22 conflict of stats. As Nick said in his thread he's of the opinion it is 20 - think he said the cup results didn't matter (that's without looking it up). I'm with you on this, I agree it's 22 - why not include the FA Cup wins?

One thing for sure, whatever stats you choose it's still a brilliant achievement and the best run we have been on in most of our lifetimes - apart from my Mum, a veteran Saints fan who will be 100 in April
[Post edited 29 Jan 22:38]

Our unbeaten run on 22:37 - Jan 29 with 604 viewsLondonSaint76

Our unbeaten run on 20:04 - Jan 29 by hedgeend61

Do you honestly think he's gonna keep up with that?

You think we need a new striker?, window shutting soon.
[Post edited 29 Jan 20:05]

Yes to both
Give S22 the benefit of the doubt

Tell you a striker I'd go for, and not on Leeds / Leicester or Ipswich's radar - Robert Glatzel from SV Hamburg, a bit of a curve ball call, been with Hamburg 2.5 seasons, in that time Hamburg have not been out of the top 4/5 of Bundesleiga 2 - his stats, 54 goals + 10 assists in 87 games. Just turned 30 a couple of weeks ago and valued at just over 3m euros. Maybe not one for the PL next season if we go up but a 'horses for courses' low risk buy to address an issue that needs a solution especially if Che moves on.

Our unbeaten run on 23:16 - Jan 29 with 575 viewshedgeend61

Our unbeaten run on 22:37 - Jan 29 by LondonSaint76

Yes to both
Give S22 the benefit of the doubt

Tell you a striker I'd go for, and not on Leeds / Leicester or Ipswich's radar - Robert Glatzel from SV Hamburg, a bit of a curve ball call, been with Hamburg 2.5 seasons, in that time Hamburg have not been out of the top 4/5 of Bundesleiga 2 - his stats, 54 goals + 10 assists in 87 games. Just turned 30 a couple of weeks ago and valued at just over 3m euros. Maybe not one for the PL next season if we go up but a 'horses for courses' low risk buy to address an issue that needs a solution especially if Che moves on.

I tipped this one up a few months back for the Saint.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/who-brian-b

Know the Dutch leagues not the best, but age 22, 15m euros, goal every other game, called up for national side, doubt he'll chose us over Man Utd though
Login to get fewer ads

Our unbeaten run on 23:46 - Jan 29 with 532 viewsLondonSaint76

Our unbeaten run on 23:16 - Jan 29 by hedgeend61

I tipped this one up a few months back for the Saint.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/who-brian-b

Know the Dutch leagues not the best, but age 22, 15m euros, goal every other game, called up for national side, doubt he'll chose us over Man Utd though

Looks good but as you say choosing us over Man U is a big ask. I reckon a lot of the players at the better stocked Dutch clubs are OK as they train with some decent players week in week out, also they seem to adapt to our style of football quickly + the Bundesliga as well - think back to Pelle & Tadic for example.
This Brobbey looks like a good shout - another one I'd liked to have seen here a few seasons back was a lanky Dutch striker called Bas Dost who was at Wolfsburg at the time - have a look at this footage from 2016 from the Leverkusen v Wolfsburg game - think you might recognise the Leverkusen hat trick scorer as well...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024