Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pitiful support 22:32 - Feb 28 with 2071 viewsYarman

What is the point in travelling up to Liverpool and then stand / sit in pretty much total silence. I could hardly talk for a day or two after a game when l was younger, fan base totaly different now , too many women and idiots filming themselves on mobiles, glad l stopped going.
Pitiful support on 22:45 - Feb 28 with 2007 viewsdirk_doone

The songs about Pompey came across loud and clear so it was good publicity for a League One team at Anfield. Their fans would have been well pleased. The first verse of OWTS could also be heard. It always peters out quickly because our fans only know one verse of what is supposed to be our song. When are they going to learn another verse??? It's not as if they're particularly difficult. Any one would do so the song wouldn't have to peter out almost immediately:

Oh, when the drums begin to bang Oh, when the drums begin to bang
I want to be in that number when the saints go marching in.

Oh, when the stars fall from the sky Oh, when the stars fall from the sky
I want to be in that number when the saints go marching in

Oh, when the moon turns red with blood Oh, when the moon turns red with blood I want to be in that number when the saints go marching in.

Oh, when the trumpet sounds its call Oh, when the trumpet sounds its call.
I want to be in that number when the saints go marching in.
[Post edited 28 Feb 23:02]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Pitiful support on 22:57 - Feb 28 with 1959 viewsHeisenberg

Yeh we don’t need women ruining the game. They really have got some nerve. They will be wanting equal pay and the vote next.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Pitiful support on 07:11 - Feb 29 with 1739 viewscocklebreath

It’s the youngsters that don’t sing they just sit there on phones, when I was late teens early 20’s I was usually half cut and overly excited probably acting like a dick but I’d certainly be singing and so would the other youngsters, maybe they are too cool to sing now.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Pitiful support on 07:53 - Feb 29 with 1671 viewsTripleNiemi

Pitiful support on 07:11 - Feb 29 by cocklebreath

It’s the youngsters that don’t sing they just sit there on phones, when I was late teens early 20’s I was usually half cut and overly excited probably acting like a dick but I’d certainly be singing and so would the other youngsters, maybe they are too cool to sing now.

Tis all about the mobiles these days. Filming the banter and prepping one’s handset in readiness for the ‘Limbs’ scenes are where it’s at nowadays…….

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Pitiful support on 09:14 - Feb 29 with 1542 viewssaintjeff52

Perhaps, on seeing the Team Selection, they sat shell shocked at the realisation they'd spent a fortune on Match Fees, Food, Travel, knowing they were going to get home very early next morning, only to see a Reserve Side put out. Just Saying Like.
Pitiful support on 09:20 - Feb 29 with 1516 viewsgrumpy

Pitiful support on 09:14 - Feb 29 by saintjeff52

Perhaps, on seeing the Team Selection, they sat shell shocked at the realisation they'd spent a fortune on Match Fees, Food, Travel, knowing they were going to get home very early next morning, only to see a Reserve Side put out. Just Saying Like.

Exactly, Jeff.
Its disrespectful to loyal fans.
Pitiful support on 09:30 - Feb 29 with 1490 viewsBLEEDRED

But there were 5000 of our most loyal and passionate fans there, those will be our Red Wall in the Northam, 90mins of non-stop singing!!
Pitiful support on 09:37 - Feb 29 with 1472 viewsgrumpy

Pitiful support on 09:30 - Feb 29 by BLEEDRED

But there were 5000 of our most loyal and passionate fans there, those will be our Red Wall in the Northam, 90mins of non-stop singing!!

At least they wouldn't have had to travel nearly 200 miles and 4 hours to get there.
[Post edited 29 Feb 9:37]
Login to get fewer ads

Pitiful support on 10:08 - Feb 29 with 1426 viewsA1079

The headline title to this thread is "Pitiful Support". I would not call 5000 fans travelling over 200 miles on a midweek game pitiful support. I think it is a testament to the loyalty and depth of support that we achieved that. Compare that to the attitude of the manager who openly says at the weekend that this is a game we could do without - that told you all you needed to know what approach that he was going to take. Then add into the mix that most would have gone expecting to lose even though Liverpool played on Sunday and used alot of youth - funny how their youth can immediately come in and play at that level and score goals and yet our academy produces very little and even our experienced players don't know how to put the ball in the net despite some guilt edged chances. Add into the amount of money those of us that went spent to get to the game and home.

As to the nature of the support. I, like many of you, find the Pompey songs boring and pointless. It wasn't all bad - there were some good moments of singing but all too often it was not co-ordinated. Certainly the missed chances and then the 2nd half, we were resigned to our fate.
Pitiful support on 10:11 - Feb 29 with 1407 viewscocklebreath

Pitiful support on 09:14 - Feb 29 by saintjeff52

But then seeing how well we were playing surely that would mean they got right behind the team?

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Pitiful support on 10:38 - Feb 29 with 1356 viewsmushinexile

No, pitiful management. 5000 fans travelled and paid to watch a match when the manager had no intention of giving them anything to sing or cheer about. If that is an acceptable attitiude then you might as well wind the club up.

It is taking the pxss out of the fans and RM should forfeit his salary this week for blatantly refusing to do his job.
Pitiful support on 10:54 - Feb 29 with 1332 viewsdarthvader

Pitiful support on 10:11 - Feb 29 by cocklebreath

But then seeing how well we were playing surely that would mean they got right behind the team?

I did get right behind the team . Shouted sang and encouraged .right till the end .

Wasnt expecting much when i saw the team sheet but was happy when we started to create and close them down right from the off .

They got very lucky when they scored with that deflected goal as we should have been at least 2 up by then ,i was stood right behind the goal ,in the centre, and could see Lumley had the shot covered...till it got deflected .

That put the wind in their sails . Unfortunately there was a few liverpool fans at the front filming the celebrations of their goal and on one occasion got into trouble from our fans.... leading to one of our fans getting thrown out for challenging him ..the police got this wrong .

Anyway the support would have been a bit more galvanised..if one of our good chances went in ..but after the oppositions luck and our quirky decisions second half you could feel the little bit of hope draining away .

keep the faith coyr

Pitiful support on 11:05 - Feb 29 with 1316 views1ASIN12

Pitiful support on 10:08 - Feb 29 by A1079

The headline title to this thread is "Pitiful Support". I would not call 5000 fans travelling over 200 miles on a midweek game pitiful support. I think it is a testament to the loyalty and depth of support that we achieved that. Compare that to the attitude of the manager who openly says at the weekend that this is a game we could do without - that told you all you needed to know what approach that he was going to take. Then add into the mix that most would have gone expecting to lose even though Liverpool played on Sunday and used alot of youth - funny how their youth can immediately come in and play at that level and score goals and yet our academy produces very little and even our experienced players don't know how to put the ball in the net despite some guilt edged chances. Add into the amount of money those of us that went spent to get to the game and home.

As to the nature of the support. I, like many of you, find the Pompey songs boring and pointless. It wasn't all bad - there were some good moments of singing but all too often it was not co-ordinated. Certainly the missed chances and then the 2nd half, we were resigned to our fate.

Agree and find it quite funny that the person who wrote that didn’t even bother going .

I thought over 5500 on a Wednesday night live on ITV when we all knew now days the cup means lots of team changes was fantastic and not “ pitiful “.

Thought the 1st half we were good , 2nd half as it was obvious we weren’t going to cause an upset it tailed off.

The OP is either taking the piss , a relation to that other village idiot 130 or another pompey fan.
Pitiful support on 11:27 - Feb 29 with 1289 viewsyateleysaint

Yeah, women eh?

They won’t even let us have sex with them will they?

You cannot reason a person out of something they were not reasoned into.

Pitiful support on 11:50 - Feb 29 with 1256 viewsPatfromPoole

I’ve just watched the first 20 minutes of the game back on the ITV recording, Jeez we really could have been 2 or 3 up in that time.

We sounded louder on the telly than I thought we were from having been there, but maybe it just depends on where you were stood at the time.

I hope if we don’t get promoted, we can keep these numbers up next season.

We all have our gripes about the songs that people sing, but it’s up to us more sensible types to drown out the “Football in a Library” cretins.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Pitiful support on 14:49 - Feb 29 with 1056 viewsericofarabia

Pitiful support on 11:50 - Feb 29 by PatfromPoole

I’ve just watched the first 20 minutes of the game back on the ITV recording, Jeez we really could have been 2 or 3 up in that time.

We sounded louder on the telly than I thought we were from having been there, but maybe it just depends on where you were stood at the time.

I hope if we don’t get promoted, we can keep these numbers up next season.

We all have our gripes about the songs that people sing, but it’s up to us more sensible types to drown out the “Football in a Library” cretins.

I was on the left hand side of the goal looking towards the pitch, and from where I was the singing seemed really loud, but the problem is because of the long, but not very deep spread of fans, there are few times when everybody is singing the same some at the same time.
Pitiful support on 10:53 - Mar 1 with 759 viewsBar_Brother

The support in terms of numbers was good- for some away games people who would normally sing are spread across different areas- which dilutes the atmosphere. I wonder if when the club are given an allocation they could advertise that certain blocks are for those who are wishing to sing? There is also a distinct lack of variety in the songs sung.
Our main anthem is slow and whilst iconic to us supporters it needs other upbeat songs to get the team going.
This got me thinking about home support and the new proposed 'home end' I think the only way it would work is if we had an Ultra type movement- I know many fans hate this idea and prefer the spontaneous type retorts you get when positioned next to the away fans- but there are also many fans who hate the constant anti Pompey chants etc- Whether we like it or not times are changing and I think within a couple of seasons most clubs will have an ultras type fan base- it will IMO happen at SMS and if it helps the team home and away then I think we should embrace it.
Pitiful support on 09:06 - Mar 2 with 523 viewsYarman

Pitiful support on 11:05 - Feb 29 by 1ASIN12

Agree and find it quite funny that the person who wrote that didn’t even bother going .

I thought over 5500 on a Wednesday night live on ITV when we all knew now days the cup means lots of team changes was fantastic and not “ pitiful “.

Thought the 1st half we were good , 2nd half as it was obvious we weren’t going to cause an upset it tailed off.

The OP is either taking the piss , a relation to that other village idiot 130 or another pompey fan.

1ASIN12
l'm sorry that you seem to think l'm some kind of nutter / pompey fan, but the point l was trying to make was , yes the number of travelling support was great, but if you make the effort to get there why not vocally support the team for the whole game, aren't these fans supposed to be the new "Red wall." I don't know when you first started going to football, but when l did in the early 70's it was very very different, and my experiences from those times influenced how l wish football was now. Anyway enjoy following the Saint's until your time of dissolution comes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024