Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
European Football Trip - advice required - Where and How? (non-qpr) 13:42 - Nov 22 with 6272 viewsslranger40

Hi all- Help / Advice needed.

Looking to organise a weekend trip to a European game for my sons 21st birthday early next year.

Anyone got any tips, experience or advice on most cost effective ways to book and best club to visit?

Totally open on which ground to visit and as interested in a decent city to visit!.

I'm thinking about organising the trip myself rather than using an agent- (unless someone can persuade me otherwise)

Any suggestion much appreciated.
European Football Trip - advice required - Where and How? (non-qpr) on 09:26 - Nov 25 with 1553 viewsslranger40

European Football Trip - advice required - Where and How? (non-qpr) on 00:45 - Nov 25 by 100percent

I'm off to Dortmund tomorrow with my son and some friends from work. we managed to get tickets for the Napoli game on Tuesday. we got the tickets a couple of months back and the game has now become a "winner takes all" event.
really looking forward the game - going to be an amazing atmosphere...
will report back our findings and experiences - two QPR, two chelscum, one man city and a Chesterfield fan..... happy days.

Sounds like a blast. Enjoy the trip.

Look forward to the write up!
European Football Trip - advice required - Where and How? (non-qpr) on 10:15 - Nov 25 with 1543 viewsKonk

European Football Trip - advice required - Where and How? (non-qpr) on 12:47 - Nov 24 by slranger40

Thanks for the advice people. Think we are going to head off to watch Dortmund.
Seems like the options will allow us to deal with changes in kick off times and the weather too. (Probably going in February)

Looking forward to a decent beer, that is for sure.

Now for flights and hotels. Tickets direct from the clubs?

When I’ve looked at Dortmund games before, there were very, very few tickets going on general sale, but for some games it was possible to buy them online directly from the club. I actually got emailed by the club when some returns came back for their derby with Schalke, but then couldn’t go because of work, which was a gutter. I’ve found their ticket office very willing to help when I’ve contacted them.

As for getting around — trains in Germany are a doddle and reasonably priced if you book up in advance — although as sonofnortholt says, you may well be covered for your train journey if you have a match ticket in the region. This will enable you to look at train times/connections etc http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml?dbkanal_001=L04_S02_D002_KSE0001_U and if you’ve got any specific questions about whether you’re match ticket covers your journey etc, you might like to speak with Deutsche Bahn’s office in London - +44 8718 80 80 66 — they were very helpful when I’ve spoken with them in the past.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

European Football Trip - advice required - Where and How? (non-qpr) on 11:28 - Nov 25 with 1532 viewsslranger40

European Football Trip - advice required - Where and How? (non-qpr) on 10:15 - Nov 25 by Konk

When I’ve looked at Dortmund games before, there were very, very few tickets going on general sale, but for some games it was possible to buy them online directly from the club. I actually got emailed by the club when some returns came back for their derby with Schalke, but then couldn’t go because of work, which was a gutter. I’ve found their ticket office very willing to help when I’ve contacted them.

As for getting around — trains in Germany are a doddle and reasonably priced if you book up in advance — although as sonofnortholt says, you may well be covered for your train journey if you have a match ticket in the region. This will enable you to look at train times/connections etc http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml?dbkanal_001=L04_S02_D002_KSE0001_U and if you’ve got any specific questions about whether you’re match ticket covers your journey etc, you might like to speak with Deutsche Bahn’s office in London - +44 8718 80 80 66 — they were very helpful when I’ve spoken with them in the past.

Excellent stuff - Thanks.
European Football Trip - advice required - Where and How? (non-qpr) on 11:45 - Dec 17 with 1477 viewsslranger40

Just putting the finishing touches off on my trip to Dortmund. Flights booked, Hotel booked and now for the tickets.

Anyone have any idea of hidden sources for this or Should I just spend the £50 each on a pair (Viagogo)

Cheers
European Football Trip - advice required - Where and How? (non-qpr) on 12:29 - Dec 17 with 1455 viewsKonk

European Football Trip - advice required - Where and How? (non-qpr) on 11:45 - Dec 17 by slranger40

Just putting the finishing touches off on my trip to Dortmund. Flights booked, Hotel booked and now for the tickets.

Anyone have any idea of hidden sources for this or Should I just spend the £50 each on a pair (Viagogo)

Cheers

£50 isn't going to kill you, but I'd still try getting them directly through the club - less worry about exchanging etc. Unless the tickets are in the South Terrace, in which case although you'll be paying well over the top, it would be a great experience.

Ticket office: Tickethotline: +49 (0 18 05) 30 90 00

Personally, I'd give them a bell, explain your story and see if they can help you out - if the game's sold out, they might sort you out with returns. I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine going with viagogo, but personally, I'd be a lot happier picking tickets up from the ticket office if possible.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

European Football Trip - advice required - Where and How? (non-qpr) on 12:59 - Dec 17 with 1447 viewsBrianMcCarthy

European Football Trip - advice required - Where and How? (non-qpr) on 14:02 - Nov 24 by NW5Hoop

Don't rule out Real Socieded. You can fly very cheaply to France — Pau is about 90 mins drive away, Biarritz about 30 mins — then rent a car and drive across the border (French airports are much nearer than the Spanish ones). San Sebastian is a beautiful down, with an amazing old town filled with bars, and some of the best restaurants in Europe.

The ground is walkable from the centre of the city. The Sunday morning kids league on the beach is something to behold. It's a fabulous place.

The only problem with Spain is not knowing until late on what day or time the game will be on, because of TV demands.

San Sebastian and Sociedad are both great.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

European Football Trip - advice required - Where and How? (non-qpr) on 13:03 - Dec 17 with 1443 viewsRangersDave

European Football Trip - advice required - Where and How? (non-qpr) on 12:47 - Nov 24 by slranger40

Thanks for the advice people. Think we are going to head off to watch Dortmund.
Seems like the options will allow us to deal with changes in kick off times and the weather too. (Probably going in February)

Looking forward to a decent beer, that is for sure.

Now for flights and hotels. Tickets direct from the clubs?

Dortmund definately the place to see footy IMHO.
20,000 standing 90 minutes before the match starts is stunning, the noise wonderful and it's only 60 mins by car from dutchland where oh so much fun can be had ;-)

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

European Football Trip - advice required - Where and How? (non-qpr) on 22:05 - Dec 17 with 1418 viewsslranger40

European Football Trip - advice required - Where and How? (non-qpr) on 12:29 - Dec 17 by Konk

£50 isn't going to kill you, but I'd still try getting them directly through the club - less worry about exchanging etc. Unless the tickets are in the South Terrace, in which case although you'll be paying well over the top, it would be a great experience.

Ticket office: Tickethotline: +49 (0 18 05) 30 90 00

Personally, I'd give them a bell, explain your story and see if they can help you out - if the game's sold out, they might sort you out with returns. I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine going with viagogo, but personally, I'd be a lot happier picking tickets up from the ticket office if possible.

Tried to call that number today but couldn't get through! - bit the bullet in the end and got a couple of tickets on Viagogo in the the North Stand.

(tickets in the South Stand were over £100 each)

Done now.

Just got to go and enjoy it!!
[Post edited 17 Dec 2013 22:05]
Login to get fewer ads

European Football Trip - advice required - Where and How? (non-qpr) on 00:05 - Dec 18 with 1393 viewsItalianR

best football experience in a very nice city: St. Pauli in Hamburg. But it's almost always a sold out, so make sure tickets are available before booking everything else!
European Football Trip - advice required - Where and How? (non-qpr) on 00:28 - Dec 18 with 1389 viewsSonofNorfolt

European Football Trip - advice required - Where and How? (non-qpr) on 22:05 - Dec 17 by slranger40

Tried to call that number today but couldn't get through! - bit the bullet in the end and got a couple of tickets on Viagogo in the the North Stand.

(tickets in the South Stand were over £100 each)

Done now.

Just got to go and enjoy it!!
[Post edited 17 Dec 2013 22:05]

Who are they playing?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024