Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First Ever Saints Game 11:21 - Aug 22 with 5020 viewsSaintNick

What was everyone's first ever live game watching Saints.

Mine was January 15th 1972 Manchester United at the Dell in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup 1-1 draw., Bobby Charlton scored for them and Jimmy Gabriel for us, some big names of the 60's & 70's on the pitch that day.

Stepney, Kidd, Morgan, Best, Charlton, Sadler & Law were United greats but when you looked at the other players you could see why they where in decline

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

First Ever Saints Game on 22:33 - Aug 22 with 1230 viewsWaylander

West Ham featuring Hurst, Moore and Peters - must have been about 1967. 0-0 draw.
First Ever Saints Game on 10:18 - Aug 23 with 1139 viewskingslandstand1

First Ever Saints Game on 14:44 - Aug 22 by dirk_doone

I remember that game. October 2nd, 1976. We beat Fulham 4-1.

Remember it well especially as Best sending off. They were the galactigos of the 1st division! Wasn't it also Fulham's 1st defeat of the season?
First Ever Saints Game on 10:21 - Aug 23 with 1137 viewskingslandstand1

We're all showing our age on here. Villa circa 67 when Ron Davies scored 4 in a 6-2 win as seen from one of the aforementioned chocolate boxes
First Ever Saints Game on 12:25 - Aug 23 with 1097 viewsdirk_doone

First Ever Saints Game on 10:21 - Aug 23 by kingslandstand1

We're all showing our age on here. Villa circa 67 when Ron Davies scored 4 in a 6-2 win as seen from one of the aforementioned chocolate boxes

I remember that game very well. It was on May 13, 1967 and I was standing below the chocolate boxes. Yes, Chivers scored twice and Ron Davies scored 4, the same as he did for us in big wins at Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford. There can't be many players who have scored 4 goals three or more times in the top flight. We had a few big wins like that in the final home games of seasons. The year before, we beat Pompey 6-1 on May 10 in the John Hollowbread Testimonial. Another one that sticks in the mind is when we beat Palace 6-0 in May, 1970.

The previous home game had been a very tense 2-1 win v Forest, who were competing to win the league while we were in a relegation battle. The celebrations that day were a bit special but you had to feel sorry for Forest, whose chances of winning the league were gone and they finished runners-up to Man United.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2020 20:19]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

First Ever Saints Game on 13:02 - Aug 23 with 1064 views1teeminants

Saints v Derby 1970

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

First Ever Saints Game on 13:23 - Aug 23 with 1050 viewsgrumpy

First Ever Saints Game on 12:25 - Aug 23 by dirk_doone

I remember that game very well. It was on May 13, 1967 and I was standing below the chocolate boxes. Yes, Chivers scored twice and Ron Davies scored 4, the same as he did for us in big wins at Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford. There can't be many players who have scored 4 goals three or more times in the top flight. We had a few big wins like that in the final home games of seasons. The year before, we beat Pompey 6-1 on May 10 in the John Hollowbread Testimonial. Another one that sticks in the mind is when we beat Palace 6-0 in May, 1970.

The previous home game had been a very tense 2-1 win v Forest, who were competing to win the league while we were in a relegation battle. The celebrations that day were a bit special but you had to feel sorry for Forest, whose chances of winning the league were gone and they finished runners-up to Man United.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2020 20:19]

Dirk,can you remember ChIvers,Davies and Channon playing a game together?
If my memory is right,they did just before Chivers went to Spurs.
First Ever Saints Game on 14:14 - Aug 23 with 1033 viewsBicester_North

First Ever Saints Game on 13:23 - Aug 23 by grumpy

Dirk,can you remember ChIvers,Davies and Channon playing a game together?
If my memory is right,they did just before Chivers went to Spurs.

You’re right

https://www.11v11.com/matches/southampton-v-chelsea-06-january-1968-79584/

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

First Ever Saints Game on 14:59 - Aug 23 with 1015 viewsgrumpy

First Ever Saints Game on 14:14 - Aug 23 by Bicester_North

You’re right

Thanks for that, Bicester.
To think that Terry Paine was taking the corners is mind boggling too.
Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) on 15:44 - Aug 23 with 991 viewsBazza

Maybe not quite the first Saints game for me but the one that addicted me was April 1963 FA cup Qtr-final replay at the Dell vs Nottingham Forest then a top tier team. Saints 2nd tier (still 3 years before first-ever promotion to top tier) with 29,000+ stuffed into the ground and 3-nil down only 15 minutes to go. Saints managed to draw even though Terry Paine had a goal disallowed for offside.
A few days later the 2nd replay was at White Hart Lane, numerous coachloads of fans up the A30 saw an unbelievable 5-0 win putting Saints in the Semi vs Manure 0-1
First Ever Saints Game on 15:57 - Aug 23 with 983 viewsSouthSeaSaint

You are all Johnny Come Latelys.

My Dad used to take me in the early 50's when we lived in Milton Rd.

Used to prefer the players from the Albion Band that those chasing after the ball.

However soon became addicted to the game and so many memories (good and bad) thereafter.

One of my earliest memories was Len Wilkins last game before emigrating to Canada and also Tommy Mulgrew getting a sodden old fashioned football directly in the nuts and writhing around in agony.

Used to go regularly to Reserve games, friendlies (remember one v La Paz 4-0 , I think) and even charity games (Tommy Steele anyone?)

Also saw the Busby Babes beat our Youth team 5-2 a year or so before Munich when Terry Paine and John Sydenham were in our team (who beat Utd in the second leg at Old Trafford)
First Ever Saints Game on 16:05 - Aug 23 with 978 viewsdirk_doone

First Ever Saints Game on 14:14 - Aug 23 by Bicester_North

You’re right

Yes, I remember that game well too. It was the 7th consecutive game and the last when Chivers, Channon & Davies played together that season.

That was when Chelsea had a massive mob of skinheads following them. Earlier that same season, we beat them 6-2 away and the following season we did the double over them, winning 5-0 at the Dell and 3-2 at Stamford Bridge so there were 26 goals in those 4 consecutive Saints v Chelsea games. Chelsea's regular goal scorer against us in those days was Osgood. Little did we think that one day he would play for us. Chelsea fans got greeted with their own chant of 'Osgood is good" from us when he did.

After that Chelsea game Chivers was sold to Spurs and we got Frank Saul in part-exchange. Saul played instead of him in our next game, away to Leeds, and we lost 5-0.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2020 16:10]

First Ever Saints Game on 16:07 - Aug 23 with 976 viewshuelinsaint

First Ever Saints Game on 12:14 - Aug 22 by 1ASIN12

I remenber going to that game 1987 i think it was and Saints split the side with half playing Poole and the other half Basingstoke if I remember right.

The Poole (Bournemouth) lads were well up for it and chased a few brave Saints who had actually attacked them 1st dispite being outnumbered into the Hospitality on the otherside of the ground.

My 1st hame was in 1979 gainst Man City at home - though cant remeber the score that day.

That was me and my mates,we had a good day down there on the beer,honestly thought Saints would have had a few down there that day,beautiful weather and all.
I took a bit of a shoeing for my troubles,there were loads of em at least my mate took one of em out with a scaffold pole.
They even had t shirts with Poole Frontline written on them
First Ever Saints Game on 16:17 - Aug 23 with 965 viewshuelinsaint

My first game was Southampton 2 - 0 Fulham November 1977
Tony Funnel got both goals
PA played We are the Champions by Queen and Rockin all over the world Status Quo before the match
First Ever Saints Game on 17:30 - Aug 23 with 950 viewsericofarabia

First Ever Saints Game on 16:17 - Aug 23 by huelinsaint

My first game was Southampton 2 - 0 Fulham November 1977
Tony Funnel got both goals
PA played We are the Champions by Queen and Rockin all over the world Status Quo before the match

Been done before, but feel safe to jump on board with my offering, now that I won't be the oldest poster

Like several others, my 1st game was v Man City, but this one held quite a significant standing ..... our 1st EVER Top Tier Match, in 1966. Not that i was old enough to appreciate that fact, or in fact actually remember anything about the game except for being passed over peoples shoulders down to the front wall under the East Stand so that I could see! Also just how vibrantly Green the pitch was, remembering we only had Black & White TV's and little football shown on TV, and best of all hearing grown adults swearing .... you'd be shocked to hear a bloody or bugger on TV, but here I was, getting quite a few of the biggies, but nothing worse than what would pass as normal conversation for some nowadays!! Oh and the stink of cigarettes, nobody in my family smoked, so a new sensation to be surrounded by smokers!!

We drew 1-1 with Terry Paine scoring. The start of a 56 year love affair with The Saints!!
And I hereby claim the Title of The Original Glory Hunter
First Ever Saints Game on 17:48 - Aug 23 with 944 viewsVagina_Dentata

A one-all draw with Sheffield Wednesday, 1994. Ken Monkou scored, I think there was a Jim Magilton poster in the programme that went on my wall straight after, despite not really knowing who he was. Could’ve been worse; could’ve been a Dowie poster.

you can drink your weak lemon drink now.

First Ever Saints Game on 18:03 - Aug 23 with 936 viewsSadoldgit

1965, the season we were promoted from the old second division v Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park. Lost 1-0 and Martin Chivers was sent off. It was my nearest ground and my first live match. My dad took me as he didn’t have a game himself that day and he was trying to get me interested in football. I want bothered about Palace but like the Saints kit. A while later another kid who was in my class at school said he was a Saints supporter when I told him about the match I had been to and asked if I wanted to go to a home match with him and his Dad. It was a 1-0 win over Charlton and I think Paine scored from close in from a Chivers cut back from the byline. Have been hooked ever since.
First Ever Saints Game on 18:13 - Aug 23 with 937 viewsdirk_doone

First Ever Saints Game on 18:03 - Aug 23 by Sadoldgit

1965, the season we were promoted from the old second division v Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park. Lost 1-0 and Martin Chivers was sent off. It was my nearest ground and my first live match. My dad took me as he didn’t have a game himself that day and he was trying to get me interested in football. I want bothered about Palace but like the Saints kit. A while later another kid who was in my class at school said he was a Saints supporter when I told him about the match I had been to and asked if I wanted to go to a home match with him and his Dad. It was a 1-0 win over Charlton and I think Paine scored from close in from a Chivers cut back from the byline. Have been hooked ever since.

That's another game I remember well as it was my first away game. I went up on the train to Waterloo with a mate from school. Going up to London was quite an adventure for us in those days. The top half of the away end at Selhurst Park then was a survivor from the pre-concrete terrace era: a grassy bank, which had turned to mud by November.

The result of my next away game was a bit better: a 5-2 win at Fratton Park.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2020 19:23]

First Ever Saints Game on 18:26 - Aug 23 with 934 viewsdirk_doone

First Ever Saints Game on 17:30 - Aug 23 by ericofarabia

Been done before, but feel safe to jump on board with my offering, now that I won't be the oldest poster

Like several others, my 1st game was v Man City, but this one held quite a significant standing ..... our 1st EVER Top Tier Match, in 1966. Not that i was old enough to appreciate that fact, or in fact actually remember anything about the game except for being passed over peoples shoulders down to the front wall under the East Stand so that I could see! Also just how vibrantly Green the pitch was, remembering we only had Black & White TV's and little football shown on TV, and best of all hearing grown adults swearing .... you'd be shocked to hear a bloody or bugger on TV, but here I was, getting quite a few of the biggies, but nothing worse than what would pass as normal conversation for some nowadays!! Oh and the stink of cigarettes, nobody in my family smoked, so a new sensation to be surrounded by smokers!!

We drew 1-1 with Terry Paine scoring. The start of a 56 year love affair with The Saints!!
And I hereby claim the Title of The Original Glory Hunter

We were all a bit disappointed when the fixtures came out to find we were playing Man City yet again as we'd just played them in our last league game in the Second Division. The next game v Sunderland seemed more like a proper First Division fixture. When you look at where Man City and Sunderland are now, that seems hard to believe.

Of course, the visit of Chelsea for our third home game that season was the first real glamour game and the gates were closed long before kick-off. Osgood scored against us as usual. We used to start queuing at least an hour before kick-off for the big games, and for Man United at least 2 hours before. I remember the 3 or 4 hours of standing that watching a big game entailed in those days.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2020 18:47]

First Ever Saints Game on 18:57 - Aug 23 with 913 viewsfranniesTache

Fair to say i got lucky with my first game, we beat Coventry 8:2. I remember going with my older brother and we got there really early and went into the Archers towards the east stand, one hell of a game for your first game, though didn't exactly set me up for what the rest of my life following saints would be like.
First Ever Saints Game on 20:04 - Aug 23 with 887 viewskingslandstand1

First Ever Saints Game on 18:57 - Aug 23 by franniesTache

Fair to say i got lucky with my first game, we beat Coventry 8:2. I remember going with my older brother and we got there really early and went into the Archers towards the east stand, one hell of a game for your first game, though didn't exactly set me up for what the rest of my life following saints would be like.

One of the few games you get to see 2 hat tricks! Danny Wallace and Steve Moran (?)

Not sure who got the match ball
First Ever Saints Game on 22:37 - Aug 23 with 849 viewscynicalsaint

August 20 1977 - Saints 1 - Brighton 1.

Alan Balls debut (i think) and he scored (i think).

All i can remember is walking onto an empty milton road terrace in the family centre at about 130 and being completely blown away...
[Post edited 23 Aug 2020 22:50]
First Ever Saints Game on 07:00 - Aug 24 with 796 viewsThermosNBlanket

First Ever Saints Game on 21:04 - Aug 22 by RonManager

Saints 1 Wolves 1, 27th April 1968. Ron Davies with a flying header.

Eric had dropped one in from a corner that was the best headed goal at The Dell.
Can’t remember first home but first away was 1966 Skates 2 Saints 5 Norman Dean hat trick who I met at Staplewood working as steward a few years ago.

Lifes a marathon not a sprint

First Ever Saints Game on 07:37 - Aug 24 with 781 viewskernow

First Ever Saints Game on 07:00 - Aug 24 by ThermosNBlanket

Eric had dropped one in from a corner that was the best headed goal at The Dell.
Can’t remember first home but first away was 1966 Skates 2 Saints 5 Norman Dean hat trick who I met at Staplewood working as steward a few years ago.

Saw that game at Fratton Park. Chivers and Sydenham scored also.
First gsme March 2nd 1962, Division 2 at The Dell.
Saints 4 Pompey 2.
First Ever Saints Game on 07:39 - Aug 24 with 778 viewskernow

First Ever Saints Game on 07:37 - Aug 24 by kernow

Saints 4 Pompey 2.

March 2nd 1963.
First Ever Saints Game on 08:03 - Aug 24 with 770 viewsgrumpy

First Ever Saints Game on 07:37 - Aug 24 by kernow

Saints 4 Pompey 2.

I used to love watching Sydenham play,kick the ball behind a defender and run like hell to get the ball back,amusing to watch,sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't.
Chivers was a powerhouse.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024