Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? 15:24 - Feb 8 with 2790 viewsSlacker

Does anybody think that there is a correlation between Ings and Bertrand not signing new contracts and break in successful momentum? Given that this is the worst injury crisis that I have known having watched the club since the late 1960's

- nevertheless - we have not seen either Bertrand or Ings back to their previous level. Is this in any way responsible for a difficult to define lack of confidence? Admittedly we were a hairsbreadth away from achieving a draw at Newcastle. But the sense of anticipation and excitement that seem to permeate the atmosphere earlier in the season now seems to have gone.

What do you think my ugly friends?
Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 15:34 - Feb 8 with 2766 viewskingslandstand1

Looking at post from Saintsforever below, I think they have both had their heads turned, Ings for the chance to play CL football, and Bertrand for a final big pay day

Just a thought ....................... but would anybody really blame them?
Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 15:45 - Feb 8 with 2741 viewsSaintsforeverj

Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 15:34 - Feb 8 by kingslandstand1

Looking at post from Saintsforever below, I think they have both had their heads turned, Ings for the chance to play CL football, and Bertrand for a final big pay day

I don't blame them really. Bit disappointed in Ings who said he was coming home, we rescued his career, he is a Saints fan etc. But no surprise, it doesn't count for anything, money talks. Who would turn down a move to win trophies and triple their wages? Close to nobody, apart from Le Tiss. But I have always said, they want to go, so let them go. It won't help the club at all having a new rumour every week. It won't help the players because their heads have been turned and won't want to he injured or do anything to upset their big move. All it will do is upset the morale of the squad to some degree, having two players who can't wait to leave. Think VD, Hojbjerg, Fonte. Their impending moves affected the team in ways.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 15:51]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 16:09 - Feb 8 with 2704 viewsDorsetIan

Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 15:34 - Feb 8 by kingslandstand1

I would say that both of them, like Ralph, have delivered in excess of expectations in the last 12 months, but that the club has not demonstrated its willingness or commitment to build on their success.

If the situation at the club - same owner, same financial constraints - has not changed by the summer then, all sentiment aside, wouldn't they both be mad to stay?

New owners, some proper ambition from the club, then fingers crossed we can keep them.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 16:16 - Feb 8 with 2692 viewsBerber

Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 15:45 - Feb 8 by Saintsforeverj

I don't blame them really. Bit disappointed in Ings who said he was coming home, we rescued his career, he is a Saints fan etc. But no surprise, it doesn't count for anything, money talks. Who would turn down a move to win trophies and triple their wages? Close to nobody, apart from Le Tiss. But I have always said, they want to go, so let them go. It won't help the club at all having a new rumour every week. It won't help the players because their heads have been turned and won't want to he injured or do anything to upset their big move. All it will do is upset the morale of the squad to some degree, having two players who can't wait to leave. Think VD, Hojbjerg, Fonte. Their impending moves affected the team in ways.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 15:51]

I think Danny Ings saved his career. What we did was no more than any other of the "lower level" PL clubs would have done. I think Brighton, Bournmouth (PL at the time), Crystal Palace would have done as good a job bringing him back to full fitness, and if he was at Bournmouth, they would still be in the PL. Not sure if we would be if we didn't have him. Ings good goals return last season was mostly down to nobody else being good enough to get the goals apart from him.
Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 16:21 - Feb 8 with 2688 views1teeminants

I really cannot see a regular top 6 six club coming in for Bertrand at his age but if he wants to go and play for the likes of West Ham or similar and earn 100 k a week but basically finish mid table every season that’s up to him I guess. We probably Pay very low wages compared to most prem clubs I know Ralps one of the lowest earners. You can’t really blame them for wanting to leave.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 17:12 - Feb 8 with 2618 viewsRon11

Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 16:21 - Feb 8 by 1teeminants

I really cannot see a regular top 6 six club coming in for Bertrand at his age but if he wants to go and play for the likes of West Ham or similar and earn 100 k a week but basically finish mid table every season that’s up to him I guess. We probably Pay very low wages compared to most prem clubs I know Ralps one of the lowest earners. You can’t really blame them for wanting to leave.

And can you blame Ings for taking this lifeline here at Saints when his career looked to be over at Liverpool and possibly permanently blighted by injury?
I don't recall anybody else wanting to take him on - Saints did at a reasonable price because he looked to be severely injury prone and so was a risky transaction at the time.
Saints got him patched up and fit and he's repaid that faith with goals - but of course now the likes of Tottenham etc are all over him like a rash and maybe he's forgotten he's a 'Saints fan' and who resurrected his career.
Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 17:35 - Feb 8 with 2594 viewspjt50

Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 16:21 - Feb 8 by 1teeminants

Not sure about Ralph's salary. According to this list he's the 8th highest paid on a hefty £6 million a year.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/football-top-10s-news-the-premier-leagues-te

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 18:07 - Feb 8 with 2514 viewskingslandstand1

Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 17:35 - Feb 8 by pjt50

Not sure about Ralph's salary. According to this list he's the 8th highest paid on a hefty £6 million a year.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/football-top-10s-news-the-premier-leagues-te

I'm guessing there's quite a few performance bonuses built in to that - Europe, win a cup etc. Probably why he was pi55ed off at the weekend!
[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 18:07]
Login to get fewer ads

Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 18:21 - Feb 8 with 2481 viewsBLEEDRED

Both Ings & Bertrard will play the system, run their contracts down, see if their agents can get them good deals else where (with massive signing on money). If it does not come off just stay at Saints. Nothing new players have been doing it for years.
Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 20:33 - Feb 8 with 2338 viewsTimSaint

Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 17:35 - Feb 8 by pjt50

Even considering his new contract, I very much doubt we pay him anywhere near £6m a year / £120k a week - even with bonuses etc.

That's reportedly 20% more than we offered Ings to stay !!

TimSaint

Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 20:49 - Feb 8 with 2308 viewsKennington

Not convinced Bertrand is a massive loss, for me he’s not been that great for a while. I could see him going somewhere random like Galatasaray or perhaps a more mundane move like going back to Villa. But nowhere near top 6. Ings on the other hand for a club our size will be all but impossible to replace. Don’t really begrudge him though as we’ve hardly pushed on or shown any ambition since he’s been with us.

Ings will be a huge loss and arguably whatever the club had offered him surely isn’t enough, as we can never afford to replace him like for like. Instead he’ll be replaced by either an injury chequered player or young promising player. Might as well not gamble and instead give him a crazy offer he can’t turn down.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 21:52 - Feb 8 with 2239 viewsSaintsforeverj

Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 20:49 - Feb 8 by Kennington

Not convinced Bertrand is a massive loss, for me he’s not been that great for a while. I could see him going somewhere random like Galatasaray or perhaps a more mundane move like going back to Villa. But nowhere near top 6. Ings on the other hand for a club our size will be all but impossible to replace. Don’t really begrudge him though as we’ve hardly pushed on or shown any ambition since he’s been with us.

Ings will be a huge loss and arguably whatever the club had offered him surely isn’t enough, as we can never afford to replace him like for like. Instead he’ll be replaced by either an injury chequered player or young promising player. Might as well not gamble and instead give him a crazy offer he can’t turn down.

They won't give him a contract on rediculous money under the current setup. If he gets it, others will want it too and the club won't want to go in that direction. We could never match the wages of Spurs or Man City anyway. Plus, he would never turn down massive club like Man City, let's be honest. But the as you say, the concern is how can we replace such an important player.

Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 22:27 - Feb 8 with 2200 viewsKennington

Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 21:52 - Feb 8 by Saintsforeverj

They won't give him a contract on rediculous money under the current setup. If he gets it, others will want it too and the club won't want to go in that direction. We could never match the wages of Spurs or Man City anyway. Plus, he would never turn down massive club like Man City, let's be honest. But the as you say, the concern is how can we replace such an important player.

Imagine the scenario that instead of giving Ings say £125k a week or £6.5m a year, we end up signing a Carillo financial value signing of around £19m plus say £75k a week wages or £3.9m a year. Say that player scores half the goals Ings scores (10 a season) that would be £2.2m per goal. But if Ings scores 20 goals with his huge new £125k a week contract it would only be £335k per goal. That’s why it makes far more economic sense to give Ings a huge deal. Even if he was given £150k a week plus a £1m bonus, if he scored 20 goals it would be £440k per goal. Again that’s far cheaper than forking out on a £19m punt that only scores 10 goals.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 22:32]

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 22:37 - Feb 8 with 2183 viewsSaintsforeverj

Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 22:27 - Feb 8 by Kennington

Imagine the scenario that instead of giving Ings say £125k a week or £6.5m a year, we end up signing a Carillo financial value signing of around £19m plus say £75k a week wages or £3.9m a year. Say that player scores half the goals Ings scores (10 a season) that would be £2.2m per goal. But if Ings scores 20 goals with his huge new £125k a week contract it would only be £335k per goal. That’s why it makes far more economic sense to give Ings a huge deal. Even if he was given £150k a week plus a £1m bonus, if he scored 20 goals it would be £440k per goal. Again that’s far cheaper than forking out on a £19m punt that only scores 10 goals.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 22:32]

In isolation that's very true. But if Ings gets that, Ward-Prowse would argue he deserves it too, and Romeu and Ves etc, then the wage bill far outweighs a few places higher in the league. Or that is what the club is thinking I would guess. With Gao, there won't be any fattening of the pig, so the club just won't go down that route. I don't like it but it is reality. If Stirling's wages are anything to go by, Man City could probably pay Ings 300 grand a week plus. We just can't match it. And I suspect it's not just money. He probably wants to play in the champions league and win the title too.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 22:39]

Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 07:00 - Feb 9 with 2046 viewssaint22

Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 22:37 - Feb 8 by Saintsforeverj

In isolation that's very true. But if Ings gets that, Ward-Prowse would argue he deserves it too, and Romeu and Ves etc, then the wage bill far outweighs a few places higher in the league. Or that is what the club is thinking I would guess. With Gao, there won't be any fattening of the pig, so the club just won't go down that route. I don't like it but it is reality. If Stirling's wages are anything to go by, Man City could probably pay Ings 300 grand a week plus. We just can't match it. And I suspect it's not just money. He probably wants to play in the champions league and win the title too.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 22:39]

All very good points and u guess it just reiterates the power of players and agents have these days
I can certainly see our longest serving captain free kick supremo wanting to earn similar to Danny and some would say rightly so
Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 10:17 - Feb 9 with 1935 viewsPoirot

Bertrand has got some interest from Crystal Palace from what i hear, but thats it. He wants another year on the deal being offered and to be honest i dont think thats realistic. Ings, well if he thinks he can run his contract down and return us with £0 in return then i think that would be outrageous. Our prized asset going for zilch will be a kick in the teeth to fans and club. We wouldnt have any realistic financial way of getting a like for like replacement if that happened.
Ings Bertrand - not signing new contracts??? on 11:03 - Feb 9 with 1903 viewssaints__fan__73

Which Ings are we talking about? The one from last season and up to his injury this one who is in the top 3 strikers in the PL?

Or the one from his first season here and since his injury this season who will be lucky to score 5 goals a season.

On current form he's out of the England squad and if things don't improve by the season's end there will be no big offers in for him.

The question is were the club banking on selling him in the Summer and are now very worried he might actually sign the 100k contract on the table....

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024