Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? 08:00 - Dec 23 with 3608 viewsSwansIndependent

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/61527/was-this-the-end-o

Match report above 👍

This post has been edited by an administrator
Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 10:04 - Dec 23 with 2753 viewsRichardO

Surprised you mentioned Latibeaudie not being replaced as Key and Ashby were two early signing and it was on the left we had to wait until the end of the transfer window to get anybody to cover the left back position, as for the injury position Duff has suffered with the loss of Ginnelly and Kuharevich up top, Wood Key, Ashby and Pedersen at the back both added to the unsettled team that Duff had to manage.
The expected loss of Allen in the midfield hasn't helped neither has the uncertainty on Patino's future after moving away from the Grimes and Fulton partnership we have now returned with them also being a number of years older it really is a question of having the right players and shape around them or having other options
This season we have had disruption in all positions which has affect the fluency within the team also not helped by ill advised changed of tactics mid season.
Luckily we have a gem of a keeper, for now.
The new manager might be lucky with with player availability but it looks as if Sheehan will have issues for the Southampton game but he may be lucky to have returning players he will need to fill in during the heavy run of games.

Will we have Bolaise or have a much needed replacement after the transfer window?
[Post edited 23 Dec 2023 10:09]
Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 10:22 - Dec 23 with 2717 viewsPawelAbbott

You say that the replacements for Piroe, Manning etc are cheap deals. They weren't this summers expenditure is the highest the club has ever spent outside of the Premier league.
Unfortunately, it appears to have mostly been wasted on journeymen who have no residual value. The summer recruitment has damaged the club terribly. The investment money has been squandered and the future income from player sales lost.
Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 10:38 - Dec 23 with 2673 viewsKeithHaynes

Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 10:04 - Dec 23 by RichardO

Surprised you mentioned Latibeaudie not being replaced as Key and Ashby were two early signing and it was on the left we had to wait until the end of the transfer window to get anybody to cover the left back position, as for the injury position Duff has suffered with the loss of Ginnelly and Kuharevich up top, Wood Key, Ashby and Pedersen at the back both added to the unsettled team that Duff had to manage.
The expected loss of Allen in the midfield hasn't helped neither has the uncertainty on Patino's future after moving away from the Grimes and Fulton partnership we have now returned with them also being a number of years older it really is a question of having the right players and shape around them or having other options
This season we have had disruption in all positions which has affect the fluency within the team also not helped by ill advised changed of tactics mid season.
Luckily we have a gem of a keeper, for now.
The new manager might be lucky with with player availability but it looks as if Sheehan will have issues for the Southampton game but he may be lucky to have returning players he will need to fill in during the heavy run of games.

Will we have Bolaise or have a much needed replacement after the transfer window?
[Post edited 23 Dec 2023 10:09]

Liam had full brief to report as he saw fit. Now, I maybe didn’t agree with him either and sometimes don’t on his viewpoint. I agree on Lati for sure.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 10:41 - Dec 23 with 2658 viewsKeithHaynes

Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 10:22 - Dec 23 by PawelAbbott

You say that the replacements for Piroe, Manning etc are cheap deals. They weren't this summers expenditure is the highest the club has ever spent outside of the Premier league.
Unfortunately, it appears to have mostly been wasted on journeymen who have no residual value. The summer recruitment has damaged the club terribly. The investment money has been squandered and the future income from player sales lost.

So we agree 😉

It may have been the most ever spent, but these players coming in : Yates for Piroe as an example are cheap replacements for me. I agree with Liam there. It’s like the report from the other day, players being sold off for multi millions and replacements at half the price even more. It’s absurd.

Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 10:48 - Dec 23 with 2643 viewsdobjack2

Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 10:22 - Dec 23 by PawelAbbott

All down to the owners and Watson IMHO.

The owners appear to have been seduced by Luton's success in getting promoted without spending a fortune and brought in Watson to do the same here. Watson for bringing in players not as good as the ones that left and a manager who despite what he said, appeared to have looked to reset our playing style. Whether that was his plan or he was doing that because of the players brought in I don't think we will find out.

As we all know crucial manager appointment will be made at some point and transfer window fast approaching. Unfortunately I don't have any confidence in us appointing the right manager or having a successful transfer window. I suspect that we will not be spending much on either and will end up being fed a load of bs.

I hope that I am wrong.
Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 11:21 - Dec 23 with 2566 viewsRichardO

Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 10:38 - Dec 23 by KeithHaynes

Liam had full brief to report as he saw fit. Now, I maybe didn’t agree with him either and sometimes don’t on his viewpoint. I agree on Lati for sure.

Happy to have other viewpoints it is what conversation is all about.
Didn't think Latibeaudie was a wingback or centre half in the systems Martin used. Did have a place as full back but similar to Darling needed Key' type player
to protect him defensively and who would also acts as an outlet down the right hand side, in Key's absence Ashby had a torrid time. Think we are missing that on the left with Tymon as well
Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 12:22 - Dec 23 with 2468 viewsRhonddaSwans

Ryan manning or Tymon/pederson

lati or Humphreys/key/Ashby

Obafemi/piroe/ntcham or Jerry Yeates/Jamal Lowe

We need some fire power and pace in January.
Lets get cundle back here!

Poll: Euro 2024 Winner 🏆 Predictions

Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 12:37 - Dec 23 with 2438 viewsjack247

Good article.

The ‘Swansea Way’ thing is obviously subjective, but for me it’s been gone a long time.

Monk started phasing it out
We had glimpses under Guidolin, but it was mainly solid, organised football without much flair.
Bradley didn’t seem to have a preferred style.
Clement and Carvahal tried to grind out results.
Cooper much the same
We had a lot of possession and completed passes under Martin, but lacked inertia and penetration.
Duff was as far away from it as anyone.

Potter is the only one who has got close to it since the Laudrup/early Monk days in my opinion.
Login to get fewer ads

Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 14:09 - Dec 23 with 2339 viewscimlaswan

"The entertainment that Swansea City have become renowned for over the past five seasons"

Really???
Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 14:35 - Dec 23 with 2296 viewsReslovenSwan1

Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 12:22 - Dec 23 by RhonddaSwans

Ryan manning or Tymon/pederson

lati or Humphreys/key/Ashby

Obafemi/piroe/ntcham or Jerry Yeates/Jamal Lowe

We need some fire power and pace in January.
Lets get cundle back here!

The team has up to now always replaced inspirational players. Martin had an explosive front five 18 months ago and could have done a lot more damage to opposition teams.

Ntcham, Obafemi, Piroe, Whittaker., Patterson This was a top 6 forward line for sure.

Martin's more so than Cooper left a legacy considering he also signed Downes and Wood on permanent deals.

Duff and Sheehan have shunned Watson's prospects..Nathan A On, Kukharevich. Shunted to the shadows by over rated 'average joe' loans.

"Home grown player first with only 2 at most exceptional loans like Guehi or Brewster.

If the players have quality then spend the cash. They if fit will increase in value like Piroe and wood have. Who are this seasons Wood and Piroe?

Hopefully the new manager will find a new Downes like Martin did. Azeem and Wood will add energy and strength.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 16:25 - Dec 23 with 2235 viewsRichardO

Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 14:35 - Dec 23 by ReslovenSwan1

The team has up to now always replaced inspirational players. Martin had an explosive front five 18 months ago and could have done a lot more damage to opposition teams.

Ntcham, Obafemi, Piroe, Whittaker., Patterson This was a top 6 forward line for sure.

Martin's more so than Cooper left a legacy considering he also signed Downes and Wood on permanent deals.

Duff and Sheehan have shunned Watson's prospects..Nathan A On, Kukharevich. Shunted to the shadows by over rated 'average joe' loans.

"Home grown player first with only 2 at most exceptional loans like Guehi or Brewster.

If the players have quality then spend the cash. They if fit will increase in value like Piroe and wood have. Who are this seasons Wood and Piroe?

Hopefully the new manager will find a new Downes like Martin did. Azeem and Wood will add energy and strength.

How long has Wood got left on his contract? Is it 6 months with a extra 12month option?
And by Duff and Sheehan shunning players do you mean the injured players? Or just Duff as Sheehan looks as if he has got Wood back in the team at the earliest possible moment or was that to get him up to speed for the Southampton games so he can shine and get a good price for him when we sell him just like Martin let our midfielder of the future that was Downes be sold?
Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 17:10 - Dec 23 with 2192 viewsPawelAbbott

Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 10:41 - Dec 23 by KeithHaynes

So we agree 😉

It may have been the most ever spent, but these players coming in : Yates for Piroe as an example are cheap replacements for me. I agree with Liam there. It’s like the report from the other day, players being sold off for multi millions and replacements at half the price even more. It’s absurd.

We were never going to be spending £5-10m on a player to replace Piroe.
We should have been looking to pay £1m for a player who could become another £10m player, as we did with Piroe.
From the players who have come in, the two possible prospects look to be Key and a very long shot the Ukrainian
Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 17:24 - Dec 23 with 2164 viewsPawelAbbott

In the article about Watson when he joined, https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/60316/what-paul-watson-b
It states some of the players that Watson had signed for Luton in their promotion season.
A couple of players from Barnsley, one of whom is in his 30s, and a player from Stoke.
Basically, padding out the Luton side with work horses with Championship experience. It all sounds very familiar.
If we are looking to emulate the Swansea successes of the past the Watsons way is not the way!!
Our best seasons came from scouring the Dutch and Spanish leagues for low cost players who were capable of making the step up
Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 18:42 - Dec 23 with 2092 viewsReslovenSwan1

Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 17:24 - Dec 23 by PawelAbbott

In the article about Watson when he joined, https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/60316/what-paul-watson-b
It states some of the players that Watson had signed for Luton in their promotion season.
A couple of players from Barnsley, one of whom is in his 30s, and a player from Stoke.
Basically, padding out the Luton side with work horses with Championship experience. It all sounds very familiar.
If we are looking to emulate the Swansea successes of the past the Watsons way is not the way!!
Our best seasons came from scouring the Dutch and Spanish leagues for low cost players who were capable of making the step up

His great signing for Luton was his main striker (it always is) Carlton Morris who scored 20 league goals in 44 games.

He now has to find a new Carlton Morris for Swansea and hopes he stays fit. Kukharevic is young whereas big Carlton was 26 or so. Cardiff found Sory Kabba last season who would not have cost fortune.

Swansea were interested in Thomas Henry a powerhouse in Belgium but struggling in Italy. He was priced at £7m then but after two poor season might be a fraction of that now. Shankland is still banging in the goals. They will cost of course. I am just a fan. Watson must know dozens of players like this. Up and coming prospects and matures strikers out of favour or out of contract. Martinez found Jason Scotland for pennies who was a revelation. Could Ali Al Hamdi be another master stoke?.

If Swansea want to do loans then do "loans to buy". A player will come do well then get whisked away as "too good for Swansea".
[Post edited 23 Dec 2023 18:47]

Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 20:08 - Dec 23 with 2002 viewsPacemaker

Josh Key 5 out of 10?

Really?

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 20:20 - Dec 23 with 1980 viewsswan_si

Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 20:08 - Dec 23 by Pacemaker

Josh Key 5 out of 10?

Really?

Might have something to do with him being subbed. 🤷‍♂️
Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 20:20 - Dec 23 with 1987 viewsRichardO

Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 20:08 - Dec 23 by Pacemaker

Josh Key 5 out of 10?

Really?

Will be sorely missed if out injured again, hopefully returning players will custion the blow allowing the squad to get the anticipated strength in depth that seemed to be in place after the summer transfer window.
Obviously the team needs strengthening in the middle of the park if possible in the January window.
Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 12:19 - Dec 24 with 1799 viewsBillyChong

Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 14:35 - Dec 23 by ReslovenSwan1

The team may have up to now replaced inspirational players but you fail to mention how it’s always a penny pinching drop down from the player leaving.

Last season - Downes went for £10m, replaced by a free injury prone aging Joe Allen.

This season - £18m for Piroe and Obafemi. Replaced by Yates and Kukharevych.

Etc etc.
Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 14:41 - Dec 24 with 1736 viewsTreforys_Jack

Entertaining football for the last 5yrs, not sure which team he's been following, but it's been mind numbingly boring for the last 5 seasons. Even though Cooper was "successful" it was boring. The fabled Swansea way started with Roberto and ended with Laudrup. With the Tosh promotion yrs an obvious exception..
Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 15:40 - Dec 24 with 1698 viewsReslovenSwan1

Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 12:19 - Dec 24 by BillyChong

The team may have up to now replaced inspirational players but you fail to mention how it’s always a penny pinching drop down from the player leaving.

Last season - Downes went for £10m, replaced by a free injury prone aging Joe Allen.

This season - £18m for Piroe and Obafemi. Replaced by Yates and Kukharevych.

Etc etc.

Ayew and Lowe replaced by Piroe and Obafemi seemed like an upgrade to me. This is the point. In the past Swansea have cashed in and upgraded. Not this time. Watson has to do better.

Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 15:49 - Dec 24 with 1690 viewsKeithHaynes

Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 14:41 - Dec 24 by Treforys_Jack

Entertaining football for the last 5yrs, not sure which team he's been following, but it's been mind numbingly boring for the last 5 seasons. Even though Cooper was "successful" it was boring. The fabled Swansea way started with Roberto and ended with Laudrup. With the Tosh promotion yrs an obvious exception..

Tosh was the main man for me.
What he did on literally nothing was incredible.
Get your mates involved and who knows what can happen !

Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 16:29 - Dec 24 with 1638 viewsTreforys_Jack

Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 15:49 - Dec 24 by KeithHaynes

Tosh was the main man for me.
What he did on literally nothing was incredible.
Get your mates involved and who knows what can happen !

Definitely, that's what got me hooked. I went to a few games in the mid 1970's apparently, but the 1st game I actually remember was against Everton in the fund raiser for Harry Griffiths. Pretty much a regular after that, a part of the Double Decker massive, looking enviously at the ruffians on the NB, 😆
Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 17:02 - Dec 24 with 1609 viewsKeithHaynes

Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 16:29 - Dec 24 by Treforys_Jack

Definitely, that's what got me hooked. I went to a few games in the mid 1970's apparently, but the 1st game I actually remember was against Everton in the fund raiser for Harry Griffiths. Pretty much a regular after that, a part of the Double Decker massive, looking enviously at the ruffians on the NB, 😆

Loved the NB mate.
Especially when in full flow and right back covering the whole stand.
Used to go to the 4 J’s meet up with the locals Skinheads and punks whilst Buller the main man led us through our pre match strategy for the away end. His son used to post on here. Maybe still does.

Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 20:37 - Dec 24 with 1494 viewsTreforys_Jack

Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 17:02 - Dec 24 by KeithHaynes

Loved the NB mate.
Especially when in full flow and right back covering the whole stand.
Used to go to the 4 J’s meet up with the locals Skinheads and punks whilst Buller the main man led us through our pre match strategy for the away end. His son used to post on here. Maybe still does.

I know Buller, lives in Morriston, still wears, cockney Harrington, stonewashed jeans and ox blood Docs
Was this the end of the Swansea way as we know it ? on 21:08 - Dec 24 with 1457 viewsDr_Winston

There's no such thing as the "Swansea Way".

It's a ruse, a figment of an arrogant and deluded fanbases imagination that gives them the opportunity to think that we're somehow special in comparison to other clubs.

Like basically every other team out there, we've gone through periods of playing passing football and direct football. Of playing entertaining football and dull football. We're not special or unique in any way.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024