Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Miserable Britain 21:42 - Feb 14 with 9321 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

One of the fondest memories I have of my late father is walking hand in hand around Brynmill with him as a kid, and, whilst the best thing was probably the way he'd hold his arm up high when a curb approached so I could swing like a monkey up onto the pavement, the next best thing was how he always greeted passers by with a nod or an 'evening', 'good morning', 'afternoon' etc. now, I wasn't only impressed by my dad's grasp of the time of day, it was the fact he'd greet random passers-by whether they were known to us or not...an open-hearted, decent way to travail the social landscape...

...it made the world seem such a collective, nice place.

Despite being a committed introvert (like my dad was), I have tried to keep up this ideal, but is it just me, or are we the most miserable, suspicious generation to have walked the earth? I'm not like a manic attention-seeker, but it seems a natural thing for me to give a basic greeting to to people I come across who make eye contact, a quick smile, a nod, a 'yep, lifes a f*cking sh*thole, but at least we're all still here' type of acknowledgement...but...most of the time, if you try to commit an act of basic communal courtesy you're greeted like someone suspicious of being...a rapist/paedo/homo/weirdo....

Maybe it's just London, but, f*cking hell people, nothing wrong with a 'good morning' to someone you cross paths with at a bus-stop. They're not here to kill you or enslave your kids.

[Post edited 14 Feb 2015 21:43]

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

Miserable Britain on 20:15 - Feb 15 with 2122 viewsexiledclaseboy

Miserable Britain on 20:11 - Feb 15 by londonlisa2001

I was 18 thankfully and in my first summer home from university so I couldn't be stopped :-)

I'm always unsure about seeing them with Paul Rodgers - I think he has a wonderful voice but it just isn't the same.

To this day he remains the only singer I have ever shed a tear over. I will probably be the same though if little Jimmy Osmond dies before I do ;-)

It was odd seeing them with Rodgers. He has a tremendous voice as you say and is a legend in his own right but he didn't take liberties with the songs and it was a great night from a nostalgic point of view. The fact that they trotted out a couple of classics that Brian May did lead vocals on ('39 and Sleeping on the Sidewalk) helped.

Poll: Tory leader

Miserable Britain on 21:06 - Feb 15 with 2085 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

I like the way this thread deviated slightly to mention Shepherd's Bush, Brook Green and the o2 Empire, as I - for my sins - reside in the former, am slightly jealous of those who live in the middle one and live 20 yards from the latter.

You might catch me walking past Brook Green on my way to Hammersmith, Lisa, or cycling through Notting Hill to work...I'll be the one you don't know offering you a chirpy time-of-day-apt greeting.;)

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

Miserable Britain on 21:09 - Feb 15 with 2080 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Who was the bloke singing with Queen on new year's eve? Mercury-ish voice to be fair.

I saw Queen at the Brangwyn Hall around 1975. Amazing, they were far too big to play a venue like that so goodness knows how it came about.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Miserable Britain on 21:28 - Feb 15 with 2064 viewsAndy1300

Miserable Britain on 21:09 - Feb 15 by Joe_bradshaw

Who was the bloke singing with Queen on new year's eve? Mercury-ish voice to be fair.

I saw Queen at the Brangwyn Hall around 1975. Amazing, they were far too big to play a venue like that so goodness knows how it came about.

Adam Lambert

Number 1 team in Wales

Miserable Britain on 21:45 - Feb 15 with 2053 viewslondonlisa2001

Miserable Britain on 21:06 - Feb 15 by FearOfAJackPlanet

I like the way this thread deviated slightly to mention Shepherd's Bush, Brook Green and the o2 Empire, as I - for my sins - reside in the former, am slightly jealous of those who live in the middle one and live 20 yards from the latter.

You might catch me walking past Brook Green on my way to Hammersmith, Lisa, or cycling through Notting Hill to work...I'll be the one you don't know offering you a chirpy time-of-day-apt greeting.;)

excellent!! I work in Notting Hill as well (well Ladbroke Grove really) - just off the Golborne Road :-)

I want to try the new Chinese in the hotel on Sheherds Bush Green - supposed to be very good !
Miserable Britain on 22:08 - Feb 15 with 2039 viewsDarran

Miserable Britain on 21:09 - Feb 15 by Joe_bradshaw

They were supporting Mott The Hoople.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Miserable Britain on 22:23 - Feb 15 with 2018 viewsLord_Bony

Miserable Britain on 21:28 - Feb 15 by Andy1300

Adam Lambert

In case anyone is interested Queen and Adam Lambert are doing three dates later this month...

http://www.queenonline.com/en/news-archive/queen-adam-lambert-three-more-uk-date

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Miserable Britain on 22:24 - Feb 15 with 2015 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Miserable Britain on 22:08 - Feb 15 by Darran

They were supporting Mott The Hoople.

I've looked it up and it was on November 15th 1974 (amazing what you can find on the internet - including the set list at the link). Queen headlined though when I saw them and I can't remember if there was any support.

Queen had also played the Brangwyn about a year earlier and that may have been the one supporting MtH. I didn't go to that one.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/queen/1974/brangwyn-hall-swansea-wales-73df1679.ht

Login to get fewer ads

Miserable Britain on 22:31 - Feb 15 with 2004 viewsDarran

Miserable Britain on 22:24 - Feb 15 by Joe_bradshaw

I've looked it up and it was on November 15th 1974 (amazing what you can find on the internet - including the set list at the link). Queen headlined though when I saw them and I can't remember if there was any support.

Queen had also played the Brangwyn about a year earlier and that may have been the one supporting MtH. I didn't go to that one.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/queen/1974/brangwyn-hall-swansea-wales-73df1679.ht

That is amazing.

Miserable Britain on 22:42 - Feb 15 with 1989 viewsDarran

Just looking around and found this.

Miserable Britain on 22:49 - Feb 15 with 1975 viewsLord_Bony

Would have been a cracking gig and cheap...

That is equivalent to approx £20 in today's money..

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Miserable Britain on 22:50 - Feb 15 with 1974 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Miserable Britain on 22:42 - Feb 15 by Darran

Just looking around and found this.

Yeah, 28th November 1973 supporting Mott the Hoople.

http://www.ultimatequeen.co.uk/queen/live-1.htm#1973 UK Tour

Miserable Britain on 10:57 - Feb 16 with 1891 viewsperchrockjack

My grand dad too took me to Brynmill PARK in the 50s to see the animals and feed the ducks and watch the animals. HAPPY HAPPY DAYS. Twas great place to be.

I used to try to bomb the ducks too being a little tw@t. It always got me a spanking.

Story of my life really

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Miserable Britain on 12:26 - Feb 16 with 1869 viewsmonmouth

Miserable Britain on 22:50 - Feb 15 by Joe_bradshaw

Yeah, 28th November 1973 supporting Mott the Hoople.

http://www.ultimatequeen.co.uk/queen/live-1.htm#1973 UK Tour

I was there! Plus saw Leo Sayer in full clown crap supporting.....Roxy Music. Plus the wonderful Sparks. Great days in the brangwyn.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Miserable Britain on 12:58 - Feb 16 with 1859 viewsbluenile

Miserable Britain on 10:45 - Feb 15 by Lord_Bony

Sigh...it was so good I have to say it again im afraid.....

It s a pleasant morning ...a man walks down the street and approaches Parlay.

"Good Morning" says the chap..."what ?"says Parlay...

"I said good morning!"..... "what do you mean good morning"? asks Parlay. I was just trying to be pleasant says the chap..."Well dont " says Parlay.."Its not a good morning is it".
What do you mean"? asks the gent..."Well look its a bit cloudy is nt it?See up there clouds and over there...also there may be a chance of some light drizzle later on"... replies Parlay "So therefore its not a good morning at all is it? It s all subjective...so there" says our hero...at this point the man walks away silently slightly confused by it all...Parlay leaves with a smile on his face knowing full well he was right to say such things and with the warm glow of satisfaction.... he had the last word on the matter.

It is now indeed going to be a beautiful morning.

Open the ipod bay doors Hal

Miserable Britain on 13:01 - Feb 16 with 1858 viewsbluenile

Miserable Britain on 13:49 - Feb 15 by waynekerr55

Very true.

As the saying goes - "you have to meet certain regulations to own a pet, but there's no such thing for reproducing humans"

I've always found that weird too...................

Open the ipod bay doors Hal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024