Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 23:14 - Mar 8 with 2359 viewsJJJack

Anyone else just watch this? I thoroughly enjoyed it. Kaka scored a last minute equaliser for 10 man Orlando. David Villa captained NYC.
These are both brand new teams. Yet there were 63,000 there!! The place went bonkers when Kaka equalised. You get the impression it's really taking off over there now.

Now Sporting Kansas v. NY Red Bulls spearheaded by Bradley Wright-Phillips. Looks another huge crowd in situ.
Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 23:15 - Mar 8 with 2353 viewsDanielswan

63.000? Thats a lot ... maybe the yanks will grow on it.

Half portuguese and half danish, mixing Sagres and Carlsberg is my birthright.
Poll: Style of play.

Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 23:22 - Mar 8 with 2339 viewsJJJack

Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 23:15 - Mar 8 by Danielswan

63.000? Thats a lot ... maybe the yanks will grow on it.

Yep. But more remarkable was the enthusiasm throughout. Considering these are 2 brand new sides. Apparently they have only sold 13,000 STs so were hoping for a good start and that people would continue to watch in future.
It was funny hearing them singing traditional UK chants including "you're gonna get your f***ing head kicked in" lol
Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 23:26 - Mar 8 with 2334 viewsmarchamjack

Standard was pretty crp lets not beat about the bush, but great crowd and great scenes at end. If the Yanks take to this and it becomes more than a home for former top players then it could be interesting in years to come. While to go yet, will need a serious amount of money over a sustained period of years to make it properly sustainable and become a genuine product. NASL couldn't sustain it beyond 5 years or so, so we'll see, but promising beginings.

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 23:29 - Mar 8 with 2328 viewsJJJack

Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 23:26 - Mar 8 by marchamjack

Standard was pretty crp lets not beat about the bush, but great crowd and great scenes at end. If the Yanks take to this and it becomes more than a home for former top players then it could be interesting in years to come. While to go yet, will need a serious amount of money over a sustained period of years to make it properly sustainable and become a genuine product. NASL couldn't sustain it beyond 5 years or so, so we'll see, but promising beginings.

It was not great but it was bloody exciting.

Funny seeing Kansas fans blasting out" Vindaloo" in this game. I can't remember there being this much season in recent seasons though I know the likes of Portland make a right racquet.
Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 23:32 - Mar 8 with 2325 viewsblueytheblue

It is a genuine product. MLS has been running since 1996 I do believe.

Big crowds which is promising but the standard isn't great from what I've seen. When the first game focused upon Kaka vs Villa, it's hard to refute the claim MLS is still seen as a payday for footballers no longer able to compete at the highest levels.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 23:35 - Mar 8 with 2321 viewsJJJack

Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 23:32 - Mar 8 by blueytheblue

It is a genuine product. MLS has been running since 1996 I do believe.

Big crowds which is promising but the standard isn't great from what I've seen. When the first game focused upon Kaka vs Villa, it's hard to refute the claim MLS is still seen as a payday for footballers no longer able to compete at the highest levels.

Genuine question, how does it compare to the Championship in you opinion? I saw it about that level.
Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 23:41 - Mar 8 with 2315 viewsbuilthjack

Carl Robinson, a local lad to me, is head coach at Vancouver Whitecaps

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 23:44 - Mar 8 with 2314 viewsblueytheblue

Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 23:35 - Mar 8 by JJJack

Genuine question, how does it compare to the Championship in you opinion? I saw it about that level.

Hard to saw on the sample of one game ( well, one and a bit now ).

This second game seems more high tempo, quite frenetic. Some very naive play at times, especially defensively.

Think it would be the case you'd have some individuals capable of playing at Championship level, sure. Transplant a franchise into the Championship and they'd struggle. Then again, the whole structure of salary caps etc make that apples and oranges.

Login to get fewer ads

Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 23:55 - Mar 8 with 2302 viewsJJJack

Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 23:44 - Mar 8 by blueytheblue

Hard to saw on the sample of one game ( well, one and a bit now ).

This second game seems more high tempo, quite frenetic. Some very naive play at times, especially defensively.

Think it would be the case you'd have some individuals capable of playing at Championship level, sure. Transplant a franchise into the Championship and they'd struggle. Then again, the whole structure of salary caps etc make that apples and oranges.

Fair enough mate. I have watched a fair bit of MLS in last few seasons and i agree that some teams same to favour all out attack1 Certainly fitness levels are high but the finishing is pretty shocking! No wonder Robbie keane and Bradley W-P have a field day over there and even Luke Moore seems to score goals!
Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 00:25 - Mar 9 with 2274 viewsblueytheblue

Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 23:55 - Mar 8 by JJJack

Fair enough mate. I have watched a fair bit of MLS in last few seasons and i agree that some teams same to favour all out attack1 Certainly fitness levels are high but the finishing is pretty shocking! No wonder Robbie keane and Bradley W-P have a field day over there and even Luke Moore seems to score goals!

Yeah, I mean the goal Kansas just scored - cracking cross to be fair, right in the danger zone but free header, the marking was appalling.

The vibe I tend to get with the US players is that they are athletes playing football as opposed to being footballers, if you get my drift.

Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 00:34 - Mar 9 with 2266 viewsymaohyd

Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 23:22 - Mar 8 by JJJack

Yep. But more remarkable was the enthusiasm throughout. Considering these are 2 brand new sides. Apparently they have only sold 13,000 STs so were hoping for a good start and that people would continue to watch in future.
It was funny hearing them singing traditional UK chants including "you're gonna get your f***ing head kicked in" lol

Orlando aren't really a new team, they have been playing in the pro league for many years(or whatever it's called) and had some big crowds for that.

I think the league are aiming foran average of over 20,000 for the first time this season (for all clubs).

They should just about get there. Chivas USA have been disbanded and their very poor crowds tended to bring the average of the league down. A new team in LA is starting the season after next I believe.

San Jose Earthquakes are playing in a new stadium this season which will bring their average up as they used to play in a 10,000 stadium.

A lot of emphasis is put on what they call 'soccer specific stadiums'. Most of the teams now play in these stadiums.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 00:35 - Mar 9 with 2265 viewsnyc_swans

Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 00:25 - Mar 9 by blueytheblue

Yeah, I mean the goal Kansas just scored - cracking cross to be fair, right in the danger zone but free header, the marking was appalling.

The vibe I tend to get with the US players is that they are athletes playing football as opposed to being footballers, if you get my drift.

as an american who has never followed the MLS closely, it's certainly bigger and better now than it has ever been.

i don't know if the standard is improving though. for instance, jozy altidore scored 2 goals for toronto in his first game. that's more than he had in 2 seasons at sunderland.
Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 03:15 - Mar 9 with 2219 viewsphact0rri

i caught a handful of matches last season at home for the galaxy, and the atmosphere is good. And its a nice time out for all considered (the stub hub even has a decent vegan assortment of foods) and the support seems to grow a bit every year. Quality wise it feels a bit league one-championship league to me. Which is a slight over how it was the first time I checked in on it back in the early 2000's.

I watched the opening match for Galaxy on friday against the fire. and though the finishing left a lot to be desired there was some stuarts on the pitch who was showing up. I haven't checked but if Stefan Ishizaki wasn't man of the match then something is definitely wrong.

All in all its not an all in, type of sporting event but I can see it slowly gaining quality. I'm glad to see the support, but as I think I've mentioned before but for LA its a shoe in we'd have a good support as there are loads of south americans and europeans who live here who still like to see a local match, so its not a "really soccer is fantastic guys!" as most of us already know and enjoy football.

I am more interested in some of the less international centric towns like kansas, and Columbus and what not gaining crowds from people who have grown up on american football, and baseball and stuff. thats where the knowing stats will come in.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 05:42 - Mar 9 with 2201 viewsJoeSoccerFan

I've been a STH for many years, though not currently.

I would equate the level of play mid-Championship level. Assuming if a top MLS team was put into Championship, the team wouldn't be constrained by a salary cap that is now $3.7Mil (for the entire team - with some exceptions). I think Los Angels, New York - were at $10Mil last year. The rest of the teams were around $4Mil. To say, that "individuals capable of playing at Champions" - is an understatement, if not arrogant. Clint Dempsey played well enough at Fulham that he was bought by Tottenham. Not to mention that Gerrard/Lampard coming in the summer. BWP scored so many goals (27 goals) last year, because of Thierry Henry occupying several defenders and his precise passing. Donovan (who just retired this year) was a fixture at Everton. Sasha Kleistan played at Andrelect. Jozy Altidore didn't do much at Sunderland - but he was prolifict in Holland and in the US - so is it the league, the team - I believe it's a mixture of the 2. Jozy never felt comfortable at Sunderland - he would stand around waiting for a bus. Also, 1 of his goals was a PK against Vancouver.

I've seen a few of Moore's goals and they were well struck.

25 years ago, USA had athletes but not soccer players. At the 1990 world cup, we sent mostly college amateurs to Italy. In 1994, we only really had 2 technical players, Tab Ramos (Betis) and John Harkes (Shef Wednesday). The rest of the players would destroy the other team and just run and hold on. Of course, we had good goalkeeping: Fat Tony Meola, Brad Friedel (how did he announce the SKC-NYRB match, then fly back to Tottenham) and Kasey Keller. Now, we have a group that can play, and we are building depth - but we still lack true quality - England has the same problem. I feel that the USA is lacking some bite from the 90's.

Because of MLS parity, it's quite possible to be at the bottom of a conference (2 in MLS - Western and Eastern conference) one year and be at the top the next.

The 62K attendance is an anomaly. It's an event - the first game for Orlando in MLS. For the last several years, they have playing in the 3rd division (USL PRO). This year they bought a MLS franchise (actually permission to be an owner-operator) in Orlando. In the US, there is no promotion/relegation between divisions.

Attendance is typically high at the beginning and begins to wane. Seattle and Portland seem to be the exceptions.

MLS has been in existence for 20 years; NASL (the old North American Soccer League) existed for 16 years. In 1983, I brought my new girlfriend (now my wife) to a NASL match - you have to ensure that you're compatible. NASL died because of unconstrained spending which bankrupt many teams and eventually the league. So, MLS is organized as a single entity system. All the contracts are with the league and not with each team.

The minimum salary has just been raised by the collective bargaining agreement between the players union and the league earlier this week to $60K. Previously it was $35K and I remember 6-10 years ago, it was $12K. No, you can't live on that.

In Kansas City, many of the fans there aren't particurly soccer (football) savvy, but it's a good time. The club does a lot of things right in the customer service issue. But, there are a lot of fans that understand the game. Before the new stadium was built (5 years ago?), when the team played in a cavernerous american football stadium (65K attendance), the crowds would be 10K. Then, a huge event occurred there that drew tens of thousands were entertained - it might have a US exhibition - I just don't remember. So, new owners came on board and turned the team around.

Columbus is another original team. Coincidentally, both teams were owned by Lamar Hunt. Columbus has always been a hayseed operation. Generally, lack of fan sophistication. But, in the past 6 or so years, they seem to have started getting more of a supporter's culture. Also, Columbus has a high hispanic population.

Soccer Specific Stadiums right sizes the attendance. Previously, most teams played in American Football stadiums that could be 65K to 110K. Can you imagine if the Swans played in a stadium this large? For example, New York Red Bull played in old Giant Stadium (70K?), before moving to a smaller stadium, Red Bull Arena 30K - which they have a hard time selling out...

Also, Orlando is moving to a smaller soccer specific stadium (I think next year).
[Post edited 9 Mar 2015 5:53]
Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 09:18 - Mar 9 with 2102 viewsblueytheblue

Dempsey was bought by Spurs and did little for them, hence no longer being at Spurs. Gerrard and Lampard? Both close to retirement, looking for one last payday. BWP? Think about what you just wrote - Henry occupied the defenders. Again, a player in his last season looking for a payday. Donovan I'll grant you. Someone played at Anderlecht? Well, with all due respect, Belgium have some cracking players but the Belgian league is hardly one of the toughest in Europe. Altidore, like Eddie Johnson for us, looked clueless.

You've had a lot more success producing keepers that have adapted as opposed to outfield players.

Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 10:18 - Mar 9 with 2076 viewsProfessor

Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 23:22 - Mar 8 by JJJack

Some very clear use of the 'f' word which made me chuckle, as did the commentator (the only decent thing he said) quipping that an Oscar Wilde convention was being held in the stands. Reminded me of frenetic mid-table championship game but was entertaining.
Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 22:57 - Mar 9 with 1992 viewsJJJack

Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 00:25 - Mar 9 by blueytheblue

Spot on!
Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 23:09 - Mar 9 with 1979 viewsJJJack

Orlando City v. NYC - MLS match just now on SS3 on 05:42 - Mar 9 by JoeSoccerFan

I've been a STH for many years, though not currently.

I would equate the level of play mid-Championship level. Assuming if a top MLS team was put into Championship, the team wouldn't be constrained by a salary cap that is now $3.7Mil (for the entire team - with some exceptions). I think Los Angels, New York - were at $10Mil last year. The rest of the teams were around $4Mil. To say, that "individuals capable of playing at Champions" - is an understatement, if not arrogant. Clint Dempsey played well enough at Fulham that he was bought by Tottenham. Not to mention that Gerrard/Lampard coming in the summer. BWP scored so many goals (27 goals) last year, because of Thierry Henry occupying several defenders and his precise passing. Donovan (who just retired this year) was a fixture at Everton. Sasha Kleistan played at Andrelect. Jozy Altidore didn't do much at Sunderland - but he was prolifict in Holland and in the US - so is it the league, the team - I believe it's a mixture of the 2. Jozy never felt comfortable at Sunderland - he would stand around waiting for a bus. Also, 1 of his goals was a PK against Vancouver.

I've seen a few of Moore's goals and they were well struck.

25 years ago, USA had athletes but not soccer players. At the 1990 world cup, we sent mostly college amateurs to Italy. In 1994, we only really had 2 technical players, Tab Ramos (Betis) and John Harkes (Shef Wednesday). The rest of the players would destroy the other team and just run and hold on. Of course, we had good goalkeeping: Fat Tony Meola, Brad Friedel (how did he announce the SKC-NYRB match, then fly back to Tottenham) and Kasey Keller. Now, we have a group that can play, and we are building depth - but we still lack true quality - England has the same problem. I feel that the USA is lacking some bite from the 90's.

Because of MLS parity, it's quite possible to be at the bottom of a conference (2 in MLS - Western and Eastern conference) one year and be at the top the next.

The 62K attendance is an anomaly. It's an event - the first game for Orlando in MLS. For the last several years, they have playing in the 3rd division (USL PRO). This year they bought a MLS franchise (actually permission to be an owner-operator) in Orlando. In the US, there is no promotion/relegation between divisions.

Attendance is typically high at the beginning and begins to wane. Seattle and Portland seem to be the exceptions.

MLS has been in existence for 20 years; NASL (the old North American Soccer League) existed for 16 years. In 1983, I brought my new girlfriend (now my wife) to a NASL match - you have to ensure that you're compatible. NASL died because of unconstrained spending which bankrupt many teams and eventually the league. So, MLS is organized as a single entity system. All the contracts are with the league and not with each team.

The minimum salary has just been raised by the collective bargaining agreement between the players union and the league earlier this week to $60K. Previously it was $35K and I remember 6-10 years ago, it was $12K. No, you can't live on that.

In Kansas City, many of the fans there aren't particurly soccer (football) savvy, but it's a good time. The club does a lot of things right in the customer service issue. But, there are a lot of fans that understand the game. Before the new stadium was built (5 years ago?), when the team played in a cavernerous american football stadium (65K attendance), the crowds would be 10K. Then, a huge event occurred there that drew tens of thousands were entertained - it might have a US exhibition - I just don't remember. So, new owners came on board and turned the team around.

Columbus is another original team. Coincidentally, both teams were owned by Lamar Hunt. Columbus has always been a hayseed operation. Generally, lack of fan sophistication. But, in the past 6 or so years, they seem to have started getting more of a supporter's culture. Also, Columbus has a high hispanic population.

Soccer Specific Stadiums right sizes the attendance. Previously, most teams played in American Football stadiums that could be 65K to 110K. Can you imagine if the Swans played in a stadium this large? For example, New York Red Bull played in old Giant Stadium (70K?), before moving to a smaller stadium, Red Bull Arena 30K - which they have a hard time selling out...

Also, Orlando is moving to a smaller soccer specific stadium (I think next year).
[Post edited 9 Mar 2015 5:53]

Thank you for that. I was aware of much of it but the point about Stadia was very interesting and obviously pertinent. To my amazement I'm increasingly finding this league an entertaining watch in recent seasons.....I can;t get excited about La Ligue and rarely the Bundesliga or Serie A but I think it's the general enthusiasm of the players and attacking play that's relatively rare to see in Europe that's enjoyable plus the equality of the League as a whole. I see they do this draft business and I've always thought that's a great idea if you want competitive sport. There are only so many tiomes you can watch Messi or Ronaldo arse-raping some poor La Liga side so watching MLS is a perfect antidote to that I find.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024