Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bobby Moore and Redknapp 08:33 - Nov 26 with 3309 viewsLunarJetman

I read this article about Bobby Moore and his time at Oxford City last night and at the point when I got to Redknapp being involved I thought they’d somehow mixed up articles with a current one!

The chairman quoted when talking about the number and type of players Redknapp was trying to bring in, “we’re Oxford City not Real Madrid!” shows him up to his usual tricks back then!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/11/25/bobby-moore-went-manage-oxford-ci
Bobby Moore and Redknapp on 11:58 - Nov 26 with 3113 viewsTacticalR

That article has some interesting details about why Moore's career as a manager never took off.

This is the section of John Crace's biography of Redknapp that discusses the conclusions Redknapp drew from his time with Moore at Oxford City:
Clint hill by TacticalR 8 Aug 2017 20:38
Talking of dropping down the leagues, this is from Crace's biography of Redknapp:

'Bobby Moore was the first to offer Redknapp a helping hand by taking him on as his assistant at non-league Oxford City where the former England captain had been appointed manager...Pete Johnson believes that if you want to understand Redknapp's managerial career, Moore's greatest legacy to Redknapp is probably to be found elsewhere in a gift he almost certainly had no idea he was giving.

'Harry had Bobby on a pedestal,' he says. 'And though he was thrilled to be offered the job at Oxford, he told me he was shocked at how far Bobby had fallen. It had never occurred to him that a World Cup-winning captain and football legend could end up managing a non-league side, playing against opponents who openly disrespected his reputation in front of just a few hundred spectators.

'It was a real wake-up call for Harry. If it could happen to Bobby, it could happen to anyone. And from that point on, I think Harry was determined that he wasn't going to end up as one of the vast number of bitter, ex-footballers who had been spat out and left broke and broken by the game. He was going to keep his wits about him and not let anyone take advantage of him. From then on, whatever career he could make in football was going to be on his own terms as far as possible. And he certainly wasn't going to end up penniless.''

Air hostess clique

Bobby Moore and Redknapp on 14:41 - Nov 26 with 2979 viewsTheBlob

My bruv Steve ran him over in his mini cab once in East London - put a dent in the bonnet of his 1600E Cortina,bastard.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024