Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pitch Measurements 20:32 - Apr 12 with 2675 viewsJack11

Watching the Champions League game on the TV on Wednesday and a really boring thought entered my empty head. Obviously in Britain we work on imperial measurements, so it’s an 18 yard box, 6 yard box and the penalty spot is 12 yards from goal. The thing is, Europeans and everyone else worldwide work in metres. So are their penalty boxes etc measured in yards or meters? I need to get out more but if anyone knows I’d be keen to know the answer.
Pitch Measurements on 20:53 - Apr 12 with 2640 viewsOldjack

It's all the same and we give our groundsmen a meter tape The penalty area or 18-yard box (also known less formally as the penalty box or simply box) is an area of an association football pitch. It is rectangular and extends 16.5m (18 yd) to each side of the goal and 16.5m (18 yd) in front of it. Within the penalty area is the penalty spot, which is 10.97 metres (36.0 ft) or 12 yards from the goal line, directly in-line with the centre of the goal. A penalty arc adjoins the penalty area, and encloses the area within 9.15m (10 yd) from the penalty spot; it does not form part of the penalty area and is only of relevance during the taking of a penalty kick.[1]
Within the penalty area is another smaller rectangular area called the goal area (colloquially the "six-yard box"), which is delimited by two lines starting on the goal-line 5.5 metres (6 yd) from the goalposts and extending 5.5 metres (6 yd) into the pitch from the goal-line, and the line joining these. Goal kicks and any free kick by the defending team may be taken from anywhere in this area. Indirect free kicks awarded to the attacking team within the goal area are taken from the point on the line parallel to the goal line (the "six-yard line") nearest where the infringement occurred; they cannot be taken any closer to the goal line. Similarly drop-balls that would otherwise occur closer to the goal line are taken on this line.

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Pitch Measurements on 21:46 - Apr 12 with 2560 viewsGlyn1

What oldjack is saying, is that everyone else works to our measurements adapted into metric. Same thing happens for runners doing the marathon.
The 1500 metres is run rather than the mile though.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Pitch Measurements on 21:55 - Apr 12 with 2549 viewsJack11

Pitch Measurements on 20:53 - Apr 12 by Oldjack

It's all the same and we give our groundsmen a meter tape The penalty area or 18-yard box (also known less formally as the penalty box or simply box) is an area of an association football pitch. It is rectangular and extends 16.5m (18 yd) to each side of the goal and 16.5m (18 yd) in front of it. Within the penalty area is the penalty spot, which is 10.97 metres (36.0 ft) or 12 yards from the goal line, directly in-line with the centre of the goal. A penalty arc adjoins the penalty area, and encloses the area within 9.15m (10 yd) from the penalty spot; it does not form part of the penalty area and is only of relevance during the taking of a penalty kick.[1]
Within the penalty area is another smaller rectangular area called the goal area (colloquially the "six-yard box"), which is delimited by two lines starting on the goal-line 5.5 metres (6 yd) from the goalposts and extending 5.5 metres (6 yd) into the pitch from the goal-line, and the line joining these. Goal kicks and any free kick by the defending team may be taken from anywhere in this area. Indirect free kicks awarded to the attacking team within the goal area are taken from the point on the line parallel to the goal line (the "six-yard line") nearest where the infringement occurred; they cannot be taken any closer to the goal line. Similarly drop-balls that would otherwise occur closer to the goal line are taken on this line.

Thank you! Which brings up another boring thought. The rest of the world must refer to those boxes differently then. I can’t imagine Spanish commentators calling it the 5.5 metre box. It’s the same with the penalty spot. Can’t imagine an Italian commentator saying he’s deadly from 10.97 metres.
Pitch Measurements on 22:46 - Apr 12 with 2500 viewsLibertarian

Pitch Measurements on 20:53 - Apr 12 by Oldjack

“Indirect free kicks“, a thing of the past?

Can’t remember the last time I saw one of these given. Playing back in the 80’s, you’d always ask the ref if it was direct. These days they all seem to be direct.

Indirect free kicks in the area are always odd things.
Pitch Measurements on 22:59 - Apr 12 with 2471 viewsBadlands

Pitch Measurements on 21:46 - Apr 12 by Glyn1

What oldjack is saying, is that everyone else works to our measurements adapted into metric. Same thing happens for runners doing the marathon.
The 1500 metres is run rather than the mile though.

Mile still run and records set.
Men's world record

The IAAF is the official body which oversees the records. Hicham El Guerrouj is the current men's record holder with his time of 3:43.13, while Svetlana Masterkova has the women's record of 4:12.56. Since 1976, the mile has been the only non-metric distance recognized by the IAAF for record purposes.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Pitch Measurements on 23:05 - Apr 12 with 2457 viewsLeonWasGod

I once met a girl with a 6 yard box. Kids do that to you.

Pitch Measurements on 23:08 - Apr 12 with 2449 viewsLeonWasGod

Pitch Measurements on 22:46 - Apr 12 by Libertarian

Can’t remember the last time I saw one of these given. Playing back in the 80’s, you’d always ask the ref if it was direct. These days they all seem to be direct.

I was blathering about this to my long-suffering neighbour at the Stoke match (we must have had a clear obstruction in the box). We used to see these regularly back in the late 70s through to early 90s. Certainly happened a lot when I played, even up to national youth level. You barely see one these days.
Pitch Measurements on 01:01 - Apr 13 with 2402 viewswobbly

The opposition used to get 20 indirect free kicks every game when Gomis was in the side?
Login to get fewer ads

Pitch Measurements on 10:48 - Apr 13 with 2274 viewslonglostjack

Pitch Measurements on 21:55 - Apr 12 by Jack11

Thank you! Which brings up another boring thought. The rest of the world must refer to those boxes differently then. I can’t imagine Spanish commentators calling it the 5.5 metre box. It’s the same with the penalty spot. Can’t imagine an Italian commentator saying he’s deadly from 10.97 metres.

A penalty in German is “ein elfmeter” ( an 11 meter ) Strange for the Germans to be so imprecise.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Pitch Measurements on 11:39 - Apr 13 with 2255 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Pitch Measurements on 23:08 - Apr 12 by LeonWasGod

I was blathering about this to my long-suffering neighbour at the Stoke match (we must have had a clear obstruction in the box). We used to see these regularly back in the late 70s through to early 90s. Certainly happened a lot when I played, even up to national youth level. You barely see one these days.

Obstruction was removed from the laws of the game many years ago despite football pundits still using it.
It was replaced with impeding an opponents progress without any physical contact.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Pitch Measurements on 13:20 - Apr 13 with 2206 viewsBadlands

Pitch Measurements on 22:46 - Apr 12 by Libertarian

A bit like never seeing an opposition players being 10 yards from a free kick.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024