Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin 09:05 - Dec 12 with 2334 viewsSwansIndependent

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/56498/the-realistic-resp

Really ? Should this happen ? Click above.
Twitter below.

This post has been edited by an administrator
The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 09:12 - Dec 12 with 1914 viewsThornburyswan

Decent article that Keith, nice job.
The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 09:27 - Dec 12 with 1857 viewsNotLoyal

Precise as ever, and a warning or two in there for Russell Martin.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 09:35 - Dec 12 with 1832 views34dfgdf54

We won’t sack him, we have invested too much to sack him this early but I can’t see us getting anything next two games, slump setting in.

It has been poor, that yesterday was shocking and can’t be excused.
The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 09:43 - Dec 12 with 1821 viewsCatullus

We wont sack him? No matter what? I'm not sure that's true. lets see what season ticket sales do, lets see if attendances drop off, lets see if we slip into the relegation zone.

We can say something won't happen but it always depends on the reality of the situation. If we slip into the drop zone over Christmas and New year I'm sure it'll focus the owners thinking. Can we afford a relegation and the subsequent drop in income.

Certainly something has to change and that is entirely down to Russell martin right now. He needs to do better with what he's got.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 09:49 - Dec 12 with 1806 viewsKeithHaynes

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 09:43 - Dec 12 by Catullus

We wont sack him? No matter what? I'm not sure that's true. lets see what season ticket sales do, lets see if attendances drop off, lets see if we slip into the relegation zone.

We can say something won't happen but it always depends on the reality of the situation. If we slip into the drop zone over Christmas and New year I'm sure it'll focus the owners thinking. Can we afford a relegation and the subsequent drop in income.

Certainly something has to change and that is entirely down to Russell martin right now. He needs to do better with what he's got.

It’s all about January, not no matter what 😉

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 09:51 - Dec 12 with 1793 viewsDr_Parnassus

Good article with some nice balance.

Sacking him shouldn’t be on the cards right now. An intervention might be though.

I can absolutely see the benefit of a collaborative meeting where the club, the players and the management staff can work towards a common goal of playing a certain way which is attractive and yet achievable as well as successful.

I’m not sure I like the whole, “we must play this exact way and not deviate no matter the consequence” sort of mantra that appears to be going on. It’s just brainless.

Surely there is a smarter way to go about this if everyone is in agreement that we don’t have the tools to do this successfully? His job is literally to manage these situations, not just bulldoze through them.

It feels like a cutting off the nose to spite the face type vibe there at the moment, which isn’t a good atmosphere for breeding success… or trust.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 10:11 - Dec 12 with 1742 viewsonehunglow

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 09:51 - Dec 12 by Dr_Parnassus

Good article with some nice balance.

Sacking him shouldn’t be on the cards right now. An intervention might be though.

I can absolutely see the benefit of a collaborative meeting where the club, the players and the management staff can work towards a common goal of playing a certain way which is attractive and yet achievable as well as successful.

I’m not sure I like the whole, “we must play this exact way and not deviate no matter the consequence” sort of mantra that appears to be going on. It’s just brainless.

Surely there is a smarter way to go about this if everyone is in agreement that we don’t have the tools to do this successfully? His job is literally to manage these situations, not just bulldoze through them.

It feels like a cutting off the nose to spite the face type vibe there at the moment, which isn’t a good atmosphere for breeding success… or trust.

The reason being financial then not football.That is evident so let's be honet.Many would love to see him replaced right now before he doe everlasting damage BUT we cannot afford too. Good work by the Board then.
He is full of excuses and empty of ideas

Players should approach him led by our captain

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 10:19 - Dec 12 with 1737 viewsDr_Parnassus

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 10:11 - Dec 12 by onehunglow

The reason being financial then not football.That is evident so let's be honet.Many would love to see him replaced right now before he doe everlasting damage BUT we cannot afford too. Good work by the Board then.
He is full of excuses and empty of ideas

Players should approach him led by our captain

Both really, financially it would not be a good idea and in terms of football we have already struck upon a nice style that we know we can play and we know is successful.

Martin needs a metaphorical kick up the backside to ditch the ego and go back to what we evolved into after painful trial and error, whether it was how he envisioned us playing at the start or not shouldn’t be a factor - he needs to be adaptable, it’s management.

It was a fantastic balance and it worked.

It does feel like a slap in the face that we continue to sacrifice results for our club in order to satisfy this maddening obsession with a way of playing that clearly doesn’t work and hasn’t worked anywhere he’s been.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Login to get fewer ads

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 10:24 - Dec 12 with 1729 viewsCatullus

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 09:49 - Dec 12 by KeithHaynes

How about, "all about January no matter what"

Realistically, what does Martin need and how much will it cost?

My opinion, we need a new keeper, at least one CB, 2 wide players be they wing backs or proper wingers and at least one more striker. So 5 players, can we afford all that in January?

Haven't the owners already said for new players to come in, the wage bill needs to be trimmed? What if nobody wants any of our players (that we want rid of) so we can't trim the wages? Nobody particularly wanted Grimes last window, something that I am now very much regretting again.
Of our first 11 I can only see anybody fancying the players we'd want to keep, Piroe, Downes, Ntcham, anybody else?
The next window could be make or break for Martin, if not from the owners perspective, maybe from the fans point of view.
Surely everyone agrees we cannot keep on playing like we did yesterday? Pointless possession, pointless passing, lazy players as you said yourself.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 10:28 - Dec 12 with 1717 viewsKeithHaynes

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 10:24 - Dec 12 by Catullus

My opinion, we need a new keeper, at least one CB, 2 wide players be they wing backs or proper wingers and at least one more striker. So 5 players, can we afford all that in January?

Haven't the owners already said for new players to come in, the wage bill needs to be trimmed? What if nobody wants any of our players (that we want rid of) so we can't trim the wages? Nobody particularly wanted Grimes last window, something that I am now very much regretting again.
Of our first 11 I can only see anybody fancying the players we'd want to keep, Piroe, Downes, Ntcham, anybody else?
The next window could be make or break for Martin, if not from the owners perspective, maybe from the fans point of view.
Surely everyone agrees we cannot keep on playing like we did yesterday? Pointless possession, pointless passing, lazy players as you said yourself.

It’s probably all about what comes at the end of March ‘ no matter what ‘
That will be his first reckoning.

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 10:39 - Dec 12 with 1703 viewsdobjack2

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 09:49 - Dec 12 by KeithHaynes

Good article.

If Martin gets players with the skill sets he requires then we continue as we are and hopefully develop further. If not then he has to consider a rethink until he can get them. Is he asking too much of the players at a club without the money to get the players he needs or can coach to play the way he wants?

The vast majority of us don't know what is going on behind the scenes but for whatever reason, some players are not part of Martin's plans. To get the players he wants players are going to leave.

The article highlights where we are most vulnerable and that all concerned with coaching and recruitment know that. The next window is key for Martin going forward. He wants to play a system that is demanding of players physically, skill wise and mentally. Currently players in key positions don't appear to be up to it.
The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 10:40 - Dec 12 with 1691 viewsonehunglow

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 10:19 - Dec 12 by Dr_Parnassus

Both really, financially it would not be a good idea and in terms of football we have already struck upon a nice style that we know we can play and we know is successful.

Martin needs a metaphorical kick up the backside to ditch the ego and go back to what we evolved into after painful trial and error, whether it was how he envisioned us playing at the start or not shouldn’t be a factor - he needs to be adaptable, it’s management.

It was a fantastic balance and it worked.

It does feel like a slap in the face that we continue to sacrifice results for our club in order to satisfy this maddening obsession with a way of playing that clearly doesn’t work and hasn’t worked anywhere he’s been.

Obsession it is.
Cab Bennett Cooper are capable enough as CH but are no full backs.

Naughton is a half decent full back but no CH,and DOWNES i a fine midfielder but dear God -a Centre Half.

Have defenders defend,goalkeeper just save shots and forget trying to be Messi

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 11:03 - Dec 12 with 1683 viewsmax936

Giving the hapless Martin more money to spend, is like chucking money in the Tawe and watching it float away.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 11:14 - Dec 12 with 1669 viewsmax936

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 10:24 - Dec 12 by Catullus

He sent Joseph out without giving him a chance and that after we spent nearly a million on him.

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 11:17 - Dec 12 with 1664 viewsjackrabbit

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 11:03 - Dec 12 by max936

Giving the hapless Martin more money to spend, is like chucking money in the Tawe and watching it float away.

I think that’s a bit unfair - Piroe, Ntcham and Paterson, to mention just 3, have been good acquisitions. More of the same quality we need.
The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 11:24 - Dec 12 with 1639 viewsmax936

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 11:17 - Dec 12 by jackrabbit

I think that’s a bit unfair - Piroe, Ntcham and Paterson, to mention just 3, have been good acquisitions. More of the same quality we need.

Its Martin himself that's the problem, not the players, are those players gonna want to stay the way we are at the moment, he peed Piroe off before the season even started, he's done same to others as well, I have no doubts about that.

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 11:54 - Dec 12 with 1598 viewsKeithHaynes

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 11:03 - Dec 12 by max936

Fortunately it isn’t down to him, in most cases.

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 12:00 - Dec 12 with 1592 viewsCatullus

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 11:14 - Dec 12 by max936

He sent Joseph out without giving him a chance and that after we spent nearly a million on him.

How is Joseph doing? Maybe we need to recall him and give him a go?

I'm all for possession based football, but possession with a point. The regression (or drop in form) in the last few weeks has been startling. Grimes reverting to type, Pato has been awful, players played out of position and getting skinned, the keeper making self destructive mistakes and gifting goals.

It's not about sacking Martin, it's about Martin being realistic with what this squad can consistently do to a decent standard. If Martin cannot or will not change, where are we going?
On that point, I concede the ground to Dr P, if Martin persists with this style "no matter what" then we are heading for trouble.
I also concede ground to OHL, you may be right, Martin may be too full of himself to accept he could be wrong.
This Christmas period and January window is massive for our club.

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 12:38 - Dec 12 with 1544 viewsmax936

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 12:00 - Dec 12 by Catullus

How is Joseph doing? Maybe we need to recall him and give him a go?

I'm all for possession based football, but possession with a point. The regression (or drop in form) in the last few weeks has been startling. Grimes reverting to type, Pato has been awful, players played out of position and getting skinned, the keeper making self destructive mistakes and gifting goals.

It's not about sacking Martin, it's about Martin being realistic with what this squad can consistently do to a decent standard. If Martin cannot or will not change, where are we going?
On that point, I concede the ground to Dr P, if Martin persists with this style "no matter what" then we are heading for trouble.
I also concede ground to OHL, you may be right, Martin may be too full of himself to accept he could be wrong.
This Christmas period and January window is massive for our club.

He was doing ok, but my point is about Martin not giving the boy a chance he's got the pace that we desperately need and did need since start of the season and yet he hoofed him out,

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 14:38 - Dec 12 with 1461 viewsCatullus

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 12:38 - Dec 12 by max936

He was doing ok, but my point is about Martin not giving the boy a chance he's got the pace that we desperately need and did need since start of the season and yet he hoofed him out,

Maybe we need Joseph back and play a front 3 of Joseph, Piroe and Whittaker!

At least there'd be some pace.

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 14:44 - Dec 12 with 1453 viewsmax936

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 14:38 - Dec 12 by Catullus

Maybe we need Joseph back and play a front 3 of Joseph, Piroe and Whittaker!

At least there'd be some pace.

Lets at least have that option.

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 15:26 - Dec 12 with 1419 viewsonehunglow

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 14:44 - Dec 12 by max936

Lets at least have that option.

We lack pace. Hence we go backwards led by Grimes as slow a player as we ve had .
Joseph is quick as is Garrick and Whittaker .
Piroe will score .

We just need to reset

Why not Cooper Bennett Cabango

Neuton and Manning [sadly] as full backs

Have Downes Fulton Ncham as a midfield

Piroe and Obefemi or Pato.

The players are there

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 16:25 - Dec 12 with 1384 viewshowenjack

All good successful teams have a consistent unchanged back 4 (injuries/suspensions) permitting.The more they play together the more the instinctive knowledge of where their teamates are at any point in a game situation grows. Its not possible to do this as much in midfield admittedly because there is more running involved and fatigue /strains are more prevalent neccesitating more rotation. At the moment playing in the back 4 at Swansea is like a game of musical chairs. There is an old adage _ If it aint broke dont fix it . Unfortunately the manager has been fixing things that aren't broken.
Bill Shankley was once asked what the team would be for Saturdays match He replied "Its the same as last year". One of the key ingredients of Liverpools success - Less is more.
The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 16:27 - Dec 12 with 1379 viewsKeithHaynes

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 16:25 - Dec 12 by howenjack

All good successful teams have a consistent unchanged back 4 (injuries/suspensions) permitting.The more they play together the more the instinctive knowledge of where their teamates are at any point in a game situation grows. Its not possible to do this as much in midfield admittedly because there is more running involved and fatigue /strains are more prevalent neccesitating more rotation. At the moment playing in the back 4 at Swansea is like a game of musical chairs. There is an old adage _ If it aint broke dont fix it . Unfortunately the manager has been fixing things that aren't broken.
Bill Shankley was once asked what the team would be for Saturdays match He replied "Its the same as last year". One of the key ingredients of Liverpools success - Less is more.

Different times but Harris / Walker.

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 16:45 - Dec 12 with 1359 viewsBoundy

The realistic response to sacking Swansea City manager Russell Martin on 15:26 - Dec 12 by onehunglow

We lack pace. Hence we go backwards led by Grimes as slow a player as we ve had .
Joseph is quick as is Garrick and Whittaker .
Piroe will score .

We just need to reset

Why not Cooper Bennett Cabango

Neuton and Manning [sadly] as full backs

Have Downes Fulton Ncham as a midfield

Piroe and Obefemi or Pato.

The players are there

I think you'll find Cooper is even slower the Cabango , who had no protection what so ever yesterday

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024