Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I despair 17:05 - Nov 11 with 13208 viewsBarrowdale

In front twice and lose in 95th. Utterly hopeless
I despair on 17:13 - Nov 11 with 6548 viewsRodingdale

Yup, at least half a dozen times we passed to the edge of the Wealdstone box, only to pass back to our keeper. Whereas Wealdstone wasted no time getting the ball into the box. When will we learn.
I despair on 17:26 - Nov 11 with 6422 viewsDrigdale

This result is so frustrating and is typical of the season. Yet again we are unable to defend a lead and concede a goal within minutes of scoring ourselves.
Considering McNulty was a defender surely you would have thought this was one area that he could add value to the team.
The play offs look a million miles away and there is little positivity to be seen anywhere.
I despair on 17:29 - Nov 11 with 6378 views442Dale

I despair on 17:26 - Nov 11 by Drigdale

This result is so frustrating and is typical of the season. Yet again we are unable to defend a lead and concede a goal within minutes of scoring ourselves.
Considering McNulty was a defender surely you would have thought this was one area that he could add value to the team.
The play offs look a million miles away and there is little positivity to be seen anywhere.

Six points off the bottom four again. One step forward, two steps back.

One look at the ‘different result every week’ pattern reflects where we are. It reflects the club at the moment and McNulty is doing ok with what he has.

The defending has to be addressed though. He should say so as well.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

I despair on 17:31 - Nov 11 with 6363 viewsDaleFan7

I can't believe we're still 9th, though the gap between us and the playoffs and us and relegation is the same 6 points which feels about right.

2 injury time goals conceded, another goal conceded minutes after we scored. Balls into the box not dealt with again. Is it we're that bad at putting balls into the box ourselves (or we just don't do it) and it makes our defence look good in training?

We've not kept a clean sheet for 16 games now. It's not good enough defensively.
I despair on 17:41 - Nov 11 with 6279 viewsRAFCBLUE

19 conceded in the last 8 games.

We have FIVE players in our own penalty area when taking a goal kick!

It's really predictable and really easy to play and score against.

And before anyone wants to throw the "resource" card, Wealdstone are part time and came from behind twice.

We're a mid table national league team at best.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

I despair on 17:42 - Nov 11 with 6265 viewsmikehunt

One thing that stood out for me today was when we were fannying around tapping it around our penalty area, they were pressing us: hard. When they had goal kicks we simply stood off them and let them build an attack. That needs sorting for a start.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2023 17:49]

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

I despair on 17:47 - Nov 11 with 6194 viewsNorthernDale

I despair on 17:13 - Nov 11 by Rodingdale

Yup, at least half a dozen times we passed to the edge of the Wealdstone box, only to pass back to our keeper. Whereas Wealdstone wasted no time getting the ball into the box. When will we learn.

That is total options football preferred by McNulty for you, it is total BS, I like Mcnulty but he is just another BBM and Stockdale. McNulty seems to prefer the style of football over winning games, It is becoming clear that McNulty is not the man the man to take us forward, he may be a nice person, but it is becoming obvious he is not a manager.
I despair on 17:48 - Nov 11 with 6187 views442Dale

I despair on 17:41 - Nov 11 by RAFCBLUE

And before anyone wants to throw the "resource" card, Wealdstone are part time and came from behind twice.

That’s where many of us realistically hoped we’d be after the turmoil of recent years.

The frustrating thing is we could be doing so much better if we could defend better.

Wasn’t there today, did the goals come from us taking a goal kick with that many players in our penalty area or is that a separate issue?

Login to get fewer ads

I despair on 17:52 - Nov 11 with 6146 views442Dale

I despair on 17:47 - Nov 11 by NorthernDale

That is total options football preferred by McNulty for you, it is total BS, I like Mcnulty but he is just another BBM and Stockdale. McNulty seems to prefer the style of football over winning games, It is becoming clear that McNulty is not the man the man to take us forward, he may be a nice person, but it is becoming obvious he is not a manager.

I’ll probably type this all night!... wasn’t there today so can’t comment on how we took goal kicks, but yes we have done it in games I’ve seen too. But we’ve also mixed it up to great effect, multiple goals coming from longer balls from the back.

Are we in danger of creating an issue that isn’t actually one because how we defend crosses and balls into our box is nothing to do with how we choose to play with the ball ourselves?
A method that has led to is being joint fifth highest scorers in the division.

Edit: don’t get me wrong, the way we concede so regularly is becoming a massive problem, but the way we are mix up our play is the least of our worries at the moment. Basically, choose the right stick if we want to use it to beat something!
[Post edited 11 Nov 2023 17:55]

I despair on 17:57 - Nov 11 with 6117 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

I despair on 17:29 - Nov 11 by 442Dale

Six points off the bottom four again. One step forward, two steps back.

One look at the ‘different result every week’ pattern reflects where we are. It reflects the club at the moment and McNulty is doing ok with what he has.

The defending has to be addressed though. He should say so as well.

Sorry but I’m utterly sick now of the apologists for defending that would embarrass a Sunday league team. We have scored 10 goals in the last 4 games & have somehow contrived to get 4 points from those games.
It’s not good enough & the defence / McNulty need a large kick up the arse. The financial situation is no excuse for not doing the basics.
I despair on 18:04 - Nov 11 with 6053 views442Dale

I despair on 17:57 - Nov 11 by Plattyswrinklynuts

Sorry but I’m utterly sick now of the apologists for defending that would embarrass a Sunday league team. We have scored 10 goals in the last 4 games & have somehow contrived to get 4 points from those games.
It’s not good enough & the defence / McNulty need a large kick up the arse. The financial situation is no excuse for not doing the basics.

Definitely agree on the defending. Not sure anyone would be an apologist for that, it’s simply a basic we haven’t got right in a very long time.

The game has changed of course, but you’d think players like EEL would be extremely frustrated because, especially during his first spell, he seemed the sort of centre half who put keeping the ball out of our net as the priority. Not sure enough players come through who focus on that first and foremost anymore.

Defending is broken.

I despair on 18:07 - Nov 11 with 6021 viewsJames1980

Isn't a mantra of PBF if we've got the ball they can't score

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

I despair on 18:10 - Nov 11 with 6000 views442Dale

I despair on 18:07 - Nov 11 by James1980

Isn't a mantra of PBF if we've got the ball they can't score

But if teams defend their box properly, especially in managed situations like when the other team have the ball wide, it means the opposition have to do something special to score.

The word ‘basics’ was used, it really is that.

I despair on 18:12 - Nov 11 with 5993 viewsEllDale

Is one solution to try and stop these crosses being delivered?
I despair on 18:13 - Nov 11 with 5970 viewsDalenet

Time to go part time then. Lets see if big win payments rather than salaries does the trick. We lose another million don't we next season? Can't carry on like this
I despair on 18:21 - Nov 11 with 5907 viewsnordenblue

I despair on 17:42 - Nov 11 by mikehunt

One thing that stood out for me today was when we were fannying around tapping it around our penalty area, they were pressing us: hard. When they had goal kicks we simply stood off them and let them build an attack. That needs sorting for a start.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2023 17:49]

It's needed sorting for god knows how many seasons, this strange obsession with pissing about with the ball from the keeper is mind boggling, it's like we fook about then try and catch them by a "surprise" break, the "surprise" element of it kind of fades away around the 5th consecutive time you try it.....
I despair on 18:30 - Nov 11 with 5842 viewsRAFCBLUE

I despair on 17:57 - Nov 11 by Plattyswrinklynuts

On the field, the buck stops with McNulty.

Why take off East on 67 minutes and play Rodney?

If the answer is to play Henderson deeper then that tactic lasted 10 minutes before Jez came on and we were then completely swamped in the middle of the park.

For 20 minutes.

They had a tactic of their goalkeeper going down with cramp just before the end and that covered enough time for drinks break and regroup.

I don't think the Wealdstone manager Stuart Maynard has his coaching badges but he did a job on us today.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

I despair on 18:51 - Nov 11 with 5708 views49thseason

Einsteins definition of stupidity...doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result....they do the hard part and get their noses in front and then concede, get in front again, concede then they go mad for a winner and .... concede... where are the soccer smarts? Where are the tactical changes? Playing away, 2-1 up and concede within minutes of scoring the second - its just awful "game management" or whatever the modern phrase is. Is it so hard to ensure a point at least?
We have been short of two fullbacks for years and have suffered from the same problem...Cant stop crosses into the box. Just about everybody in this league has a big lad up front who causes mayhem in the box and we just cant figure it out. We were sussed out within 2 or 3 games.. "they cant cope with crosses.. pile the ball into their penalty area and attack it in numbers" so the genie is out of the bottle.. what can/will McNulty do about it? Is our home form problem connected to the width of our pitch which offers more space and therefore more opportunities for crosses of the sort that we dont do?
Like many, I am sick and tired of them not being able to see teams off, something is very wrong and has been for a long time.
I despair on 19:08 - Nov 11 with 5612 viewsjonahwhereru

I despair on 18:51 - Nov 11 by 49thseason

Einsteins definition of stupidity...doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result....they do the hard part and get their noses in front and then concede, get in front again, concede then they go mad for a winner and .... concede... where are the soccer smarts? Where are the tactical changes? Playing away, 2-1 up and concede within minutes of scoring the second - its just awful "game management" or whatever the modern phrase is. Is it so hard to ensure a point at least?
We have been short of two fullbacks for years and have suffered from the same problem...Cant stop crosses into the box. Just about everybody in this league has a big lad up front who causes mayhem in the box and we just cant figure it out. We were sussed out within 2 or 3 games.. "they cant cope with crosses.. pile the ball into their penalty area and attack it in numbers" so the genie is out of the bottle.. what can/will McNulty do about it? Is our home form problem connected to the width of our pitch which offers more space and therefore more opportunities for crosses of the sort that we dont do?
Like many, I am sick and tired of them not being able to see teams off, something is very wrong and has been for a long time.

Were you and RAFCBLUe at different games?. One talks about personnel and tactical changes and you ask were where the tactical changes. Shows it’s a game of opinions.
BTW I didn’t see a ball kicked, so can’t add weight to either opinion.
I just long for two consecutive wins. What chance?
I despair on 19:18 - Nov 11 with 5547 viewsEllDale

As someone said earlier this susceptibility to crosses/corners isn’t a recent phenomenon.
It’s been going on for 5/6 years under nearly as many managers.
It isn’t exclusively the fault of EEL/Nevett/Moulden.
It was happening when we had the likes of EOC and Dorsett in the middle of defence. Or other, derided players like Canavan/McGahey/Delaney for example who are still earning money elsewhere.Or even BJ himself.
At the moment we have two players at fullback who aren’t natural defenders first and foremost and two blokes in front of them who aren’t defensively inclined either.
As a result there are bound to be plenty of deliveries into dangerous areas.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2023 19:20]
I despair on 19:29 - Nov 11 with 5487 viewsdaleitetilidie

If we’re not 10 points clear of the drop zone we’re in trouble when the administrators come knocking. Based on where we are and on present form I can’t see that happening. Can you?
I despair on 19:36 - Nov 11 with 5433 viewsblackdogblue

I despair on 18:13 - Nov 11 by Dalenet

Time to go part time then. Lets see if big win payments rather than salaries does the trick. We lose another million don't we next season? Can't carry on like this

There won’t be a next season without investment or a plan Z…

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

I despair on 19:54 - Nov 11 with 5335 viewskel

I despair on 17:41 - Nov 11 by RAFCBLUE

“And before anyone wants to throw the "resource" card”

I’ve now seen it all.

And then some.
I despair on 20:02 - Nov 11 with 5286 viewsnordenblue

I despair on 19:18 - Nov 11 by EllDale

As someone said earlier this susceptibility to crosses/corners isn’t a recent phenomenon.
It’s been going on for 5/6 years under nearly as many managers.
It isn’t exclusively the fault of EEL/Nevett/Moulden.
It was happening when we had the likes of EOC and Dorsett in the middle of defence. Or other, derided players like Canavan/McGahey/Delaney for example who are still earning money elsewhere.Or even BJ himself.
At the moment we have two players at fullback who aren’t natural defenders first and foremost and two blokes in front of them who aren’t defensively inclined either.
As a result there are bound to be plenty of deliveries into dangerous areas.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2023 19:20]

It's irrelevant who we employ as manager, they're all pretty much the same while they're all schooled at the same bullshit coaching class, with Thiago Silva esque centre half's with a possession stats obsession, in front of a keeper that primarily must be able to do 100 consecutive kick ups, and spray a pass like Craig Dawson whether he can actually keep the ball out of the net seemed to be irrelevant.
I despair on 20:04 - Nov 11 with 5273 viewsRodingdale

It’s just so depressing. A good Dale following today - collectively disillusioned by a lack of conviction on the pitch and a lack of guile in the dugout. Yes a couple of goals, but it looks like we are in slow motion when we defend. Walking out of the ground, past the ramshackle temporary stands, scaffolding, portacabins and shipping containers - which the Wealdstone ground is made of, makes you realise how far we have fallen. But they play ‘have a go’ attacking football, despite having to cut their cloth, they know what they are, and their chairman has an aspiration of league football in a new ground (hopefully with a level flat pitch). It seems to me that being a Wealdstone fan is a better experience than being a Dale fan, and not just tonight.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024