Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FAO : 100percent 08:08 - Jun 1 with 739 viewssmegma

HAMMERSMITH APOLLO SOLD !!! 9,000 capacity venue ?? Shurely shome mishtake ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18284304

HMV agreed to sell the west London art deco venue to American-German joint venture Stage C for £32m.

The 9,000-capacity venue was taken over by entertainment retailer HMV in 2010.

HMV chief Simon Fox said: "The Hammersmith Apollo is an iconic London venue and it has been a privilege to own it over the last three years."

The venue opened in 1932 as the Gaumont Palace cinema, as part of a wider turnaround.

It has played host to many famous performances, including David Bowie's last concert as alter-ego Ziggy Stardust in 1973.

It is also the eponymous venue in the BBC stand-up comedy series Live at the Apollo.

Stage C is jointly owned by London's indigO2 operator Ansco Music Club, a subsidiary of US company Anschutz Entertainment, and a subsidiary of Munich-based CTS Eventim.

The sale is conditional on banking approvals, shareholder approval and Stage C securing regulatory approvals.

With 252 stores in the UK, HMV said the sale allowed it to focus on its core retail business, while the proceeds from the disposal would be used to reduce the group's outstanding debt.

The sale follows a decision to place its HMV Live division, which runs 13 venues and a number of festivals including Lovebox in London and Global Gathering near Stratford-upon-Avon, under review.

The entertainment retailer recently surprised the City by forecasting a return to profit in 2013 despite estimated losses of about £19m for the past financial year
FAO : 100percent on 08:33 - Jun 1 with 715 views100percent

It's gone. we have it for the next six weeks. it's not all bad news......
FAO : 100percent on 10:09 - Jun 1 with 635 viewsAlvarado

Well when I used to go there in the olden days ('Hammersmith Odeon') I thought it was closer to 2,500. They must have built a big extension!
FAO : 100percent on 10:24 - Jun 1 with 612 viewsBlackCrowe

Makes no odds to me, I still call it the Hammy Odeon. Old skool.

Assume it'll remain a concert venue?

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

FAO : 100percent on 12:42 - Jun 1 with 550 viewsSonofNorfolt

It's 5000 I think.
FAO : 100percent on 12:43 - Jun 1 with 550 viewsSonofNorfolt

It's 5000 I think.
FAO : 100percent on 12:48 - Jun 1 with 535 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

FAO : 100percent on 12:43 - Jun 1 by SonofNorfolt

It's 5000 I think.

It's around 3,500 with all seats and around 5,000 with seats removed downstairs. Used to be biggest cinema in Europe back in the day. I remember getting refused entry to Saturday morning pictures back in 1963 aged 4 as I was too young to get in! Bawled me eyes out but managed to sneak in the next week and for several years after!
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
FAO : 100percent on 12:54 - Jun 1 with 517 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Iron Maiden's £50 ticket Clive Burr benefit gig in 2005 goes down in legend for me.

I posted on here when I got back seemed quite a few of us went!

I wish heavy bands would stop playing at Brixton. Horrible, horrible venue for double bass drum. Hits sloping floor, goes towards high roof, hit's roof comes back down....Net result if you are anywhere other than right in front of the band...drum echo arggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

FAO : 100percent on 13:31 - Jun 1 with 479 viewsbob566

FAO : 100percent on 12:54 - Jun 1 by Metallica_Hoop

Iron Maiden's £50 ticket Clive Burr benefit gig in 2005 goes down in legend for me.

I posted on here when I got back seemed quite a few of us went!

I wish heavy bands would stop playing at Brixton. Horrible, horrible venue for double bass drum. Hits sloping floor, goes towards high roof, hit's roof comes back down....Net result if you are anywhere other than right in front of the band...drum echo arggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh.

love my metal as you know but i have to say one of my fondest concert memories if not the fondest was this at the brixton academy. It's the first time i've ever seen a band properly get the whole crowd up for it. Even those at the back were bopping along.

Login to get fewer ads

FAO : 100percent on 13:39 - Jun 1 with 466 viewsTheBlob

Not a patch on The Rainbow....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Theatre

Poll: So how was the season for you?

FAO : 100percent on 13:47 - Jun 1 with 456 viewsBlackCrowe

FAO : 100percent on 13:39 - Jun 1 by TheBlob

Not a patch on The Rainbow....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Theatre

Ahh the Rainbow...saw two of my best gigs there - Ramones and Grateful Dead. Also saw Ramones at The Lyceum which was another top top venue.

FAO : 100percent on 13:54 - Jun 1 with 443 viewsMetallica_Hoop

FAO : 100percent on 13:31 - Jun 1 by bob566

love my metal as you know but i have to say one of my fondest concert memories if not the fondest was this at the brixton academy. It's the first time i've ever seen a band properly get the whole crowd up for it. Even those at the back were bopping along.

I saw the Specials on Jools, they were awesome. That gig looks like great fun.

You can hear the cavernous noise even in that clip, When it's heavier arrrgggghhhhh give me the Astoria or the Marquee anyday

On saying that the Black Crowes at Brixton were great.

I was in the mosh for Machine Head and got thrown into one of the barriers back first, I'm tall enough for it to smash the small of my back owwwwwwwwww I was stood there stunned, in pain like a tall, sweaty drunk Jesus arms hanging out right in front of Rob Flynn. Splendid evening that, that's how I know the sound is ok right in front of the band.

Megadeth at the Astoria, I was in the mosh 3 yards to this guys left drunk again!.....Carnage!

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

FAO : 100percent on 13:56 - Jun 1 with 439 viewsTheBlob

FAO : 100percent on 13:47 - Jun 1 by BlackCrowe

Ahh the Rainbow...saw two of my best gigs there - Ramones and Grateful Dead. Also saw Ramones at The Lyceum which was another top top venue.

Much better atmos/acoustics innit?
Saw the Mahavishnu Orchestra farewell gig there - still got the ticket stub.

Allman Brothers at The Apollo was good,Zappa,SRV,Johnny Winter/Walter Trout,Gary Moore/Mick Jagger.....always sad when a solid venue gets sold.Stil,they've done a good job on the Roundhouse by all accounts.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

FAO : 100percent on 14:21 - Jun 1 with 406 viewsmartindavid

FAO : 100percent on 13:56 - Jun 1 by TheBlob

Much better atmos/acoustics innit?
Saw the Mahavishnu Orchestra farewell gig there - still got the ticket stub.

Allman Brothers at The Apollo was good,Zappa,SRV,Johnny Winter/Walter Trout,Gary Moore/Mick Jagger.....always sad when a solid venue gets sold.Stil,they've done a good job on the Roundhouse by all accounts.

I've seen a few bands play there. Iron Maiden Somewhere in time tour when I was 13 and Lloyd Cole a few years later were my favs. Bit of a drag not being able to drink in main area at the time, ( i mean at the lloyd cole gig, not when i was at the iron maiden one.
FAO : 100percent on 14:33 - Jun 1 with 397 viewsted_hendrix

Velvet Revolver was the last band I saw at the Hammersmith Apollo.

Guess that's it then, last one leaving...............................

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

FAO : 100percent on 14:43 - Jun 1 with 387 viewsBlackCrowe

FAO : 100percent on 14:33 - Jun 1 by ted_hendrix

Velvet Revolver was the last band I saw at the Hammersmith Apollo.

Guess that's it then, last one leaving...............................

To my embarrassment, the last band i saw there (about 2 months ago) was bloody McFly. Took the young Crowes and goddaughter to first ever gig.

Oh the shame.

FAO : 100percent on 14:57 - Jun 1 with 379 viewsSydneyRs

FAO : 100percent on 13:31 - Jun 1 by bob566

Saw them at Enmore Theatre in Sydney a few weeks back. Very similar venue, probably a bit smaller. Fantastic stuff and plenty of action in the mosh pit, despite the advancing years of many of the crowd.

As for Brixton, I can't go past some mental Carter USM gigs in the early 90s for great experiences there. The whole crowd, and probably the band too, were hammered. great times!
FAO : 100percent on 15:01 - Jun 1 with 370 viewsmartindavid

FAO : 100percent on 14:57 - Jun 1 by SydneyRs

Saw them at Enmore Theatre in Sydney a few weeks back. Very similar venue, probably a bit smaller. Fantastic stuff and plenty of action in the mosh pit, despite the advancing years of many of the crowd.

As for Brixton, I can't go past some mental Carter USM gigs in the early 90s for great experiences there. The whole crowd, and probably the band too, were hammered. great times!

Carter USM were fecking awesome man !
FAO : 100percent on 15:13 - Jun 1 with 349 views100percent

It's 3,200 seated, 5011 standing to be exact.
Sad to no longer be involved, but I will no doubt see more shows there at some point.
Highlight for me - The Ramones......
FAO : 100percent on 15:21 - Jun 1 with 340 viewsted_hendrix

FAO : 100percent on 14:43 - Jun 1 by BlackCrowe

To my embarrassment, the last band i saw there (about 2 months ago) was bloody McFly. Took the young Crowes and goddaughter to first ever gig.

Oh the shame.

McFly ? LOL.

Years ago I got dragged kicking and screaming to an Enya gig at the Hexagon Reading (family 'do').
When the warbling one started her second song I walked out and as we were sat right in the middle of a packed row of seats I managed to piss the whole place off.
When the show ended (show my arse) and they all came walking out Mrs Ted 'went into one' and didn't speak to me for a week.

Which was nice apart from having to cook me own tea.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024