Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guy Branston 17:49 - Apr 3 with 2417 viewsColDale

GUY BRANSTON

I've been in a few bust-ups with my team-mates; before and after games I've thrown a few punches and they've certainly thrown some at me.

I was once arguing on the pitch about positioning with a team-mate and it carried on into the dressing room. I didn't like the way he spoke to me so I punched him. To be fair, we kept a clean sheet in the second half so it was a worthy punch.

I've been pulled up by a few managers in the past for answering back and I also once kicked a manager's door down because he brought me off at half-time.

I was on loan at Rochdale and the gaffer told me to get changed because I was coming off. As he walked out the dressing room I went into his office and kicked his door off its hinges. He's telling me 'I've lost my head', and in perfect comedy-timing the door falls straight off and lands on the table and on top of all their computers and equipment.

The manager just looked at me and pointed at the table, then about a week or so later I was sent back to Peterborough.

It's not always like that, though, and I've seen it go both ways. I've seen the bad tension continue on to the training ground the following week; lads will come for you and I've carried it on as well. I've seen managers punish you but also pat you on the back for it.

While I was at Oldham I hit a team-mate, which is not the right thing to do, but at the time I didn't like the way he was speaking to me in front of the team and I wasn't having it.

Afterwards I had a meeting with my manager and he told me he couldn't stand for these actions but gave me a kind of a pat on the back for dispelling some of the nonsense that was going on in the dressing room. He ended up making me captain for quite a long time and we went on to have a very successful season.

During my time at Burton I threw a bottle of water at a team-mate because he started taking free-kicks in the dying minutes of a game - the guy had never taken one in a game before and didn't even practice them in training; we were losing 1-0 and he was wasting our chance to get a point.

In the dressing room I was frustrated that we'd been beaten by Darlington; we started arguing and he started chirping up at me before I threw the bottle at him - the gaffer told me off for being frustrated, which in turn made me more frustrated.

But there are different managers, different characters and different people up and down the country. You learn from these experiences but if I'm being honest, I'd do it all again.
Guy Branston on 18:00 - Apr 3 with 2383 viewsSuddenLad

I only really remember him playing one game for us at Spotland. He had a terrific game, played out of his skin and had a blinder. Was it a game against MK Dons I'm thinking of ?

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Guy Branston on 18:03 - Apr 3 with 2359 viewsSaxonDale

The game he mentions was against Macc, and he was absolutely terrible during it. Seems like a decent bloke in general though, never forget how chuffed he looked after getting a smattering of applause away at Burton in our promotion season.
Guy Branston on 18:38 - Apr 3 with 2248 viewsizzitme

I remember him well as a solid defender, who had a nice habit of turning to the fans when he triumphed, with knowing looks and gestures etc.

Sometimes you need bruisers like him, to put fear in the oppo, and I would love to see him back!
Guy Branston on 18:42 - Apr 3 with 2229 viewsSaxonDale

Guy Branston on 18:38 - Apr 3 by izzitme

I remember him well as a solid defender, who had a nice habit of turning to the fans when he triumphed, with knowing looks and gestures etc.

Sometimes you need bruisers like him, to put fear in the oppo, and I would love to see him back!

His form dipped considerably after the first couple of games for us, something which he seems to have made a career habit. Would have Lancashire, Bennett, Eastham or O'Connell over Branston any day of the week.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2014 18:44]
Guy Branston on 18:42 - Apr 3 with 2228 viewsRotherhamDale

Clogger.

Possession with progression.

Guy Branston on 19:37 - Apr 3 with 2125 views442Dale

Guy Branston on 18:03 - Apr 3 by SaxonDale

The game he mentions was against Macc, and he was absolutely terrible during it. Seems like a decent bloke in general though, never forget how chuffed he looked after getting a smattering of applause away at Burton in our promotion season.

Yeah, he was all over the place during the first half. A complete liability capped off by giving away a pen (scored by another lovely bloke, Kevin McIntyre). But he wasnt sent back straight away, he disappeared for a couple of weeks before turning up back in the side when we went out of the JPT v Bury. Then he was gone.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Guy Branston on 20:35 - Apr 3 with 2033 viewsShun

Guy Branston on 19:37 - Apr 3 by 442Dale

Yeah, he was all over the place during the first half. A complete liability capped off by giving away a pen (scored by another lovely bloke, Kevin McIntyre). But he wasnt sent back straight away, he disappeared for a couple of weeks before turning up back in the side when we went out of the JPT v Bury. Then he was gone.

Like Saxon, my most prominent memory of him is the away match at Burton in our promotion (a few years ago!) season. We gave him a good reception and at the end of the match he came over to us and stuck his thumb up before calling us, "Fu****g great fans".
Guy Branston on 21:05 - Apr 3 with 1967 viewsDale_Mike

19 different clubs. Says it all really.
Login to get fewer ads

Guy Branston on 11:00 - Apr 4 with 1631 viewsParkinsGimp

Tough lad and any side needs a minder in their side.
Thankfully we got skillful centre halves so we are okay at present. But found him an honest professional when he was with us.
Guy Branston on 18:28 - Apr 10 with 1327 viewsboromat

Guy Branston is the guest on this weeks football league radio. As always we don't get much of a mention even though we're top. However he does make the comment when asked "Great club" and on Hill "A real character".

Poll: What are we more excited for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024