Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Picture/Kit Help 20:22 - Nov 30 with 2630 viewsTVOS1907

TalkingSutty, 442Dale and I are hoping one of our older fans can help us with this query.

I had the picture below in TVOS yesterday. It's from a game Dale played at Boundary Park in February 1963. Pictured is Ron Cairns scoring Dale's goal in a 5-1 defeat.

Dale are wearing their away kit and we are wondering if anyone knows what colour the kit was.

Oldham are in white shirts with a blue panel down the front. Dale's home kit that season was white shirts and black shorts, hence the change kit.

Thanks in advance for any help.

[Post edited 30 Nov 2014 20:23]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Picture/Kit Help on 20:35 - Nov 30 with 2013 viewsBartRowou

Good God, both teams appear to be wearing the same colour socks. Surely this put a rip in the space/time continuum?

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Picture/Kit Help on 20:41 - Nov 30 with 1993 viewsTVOS1907

Picture/Kit Help on 20:35 - Nov 30 by BartRowou

Good God, both teams appear to be wearing the same colour socks. Surely this put a rip in the space/time continuum?

Same colour as the snow as well.

Makes me wonder if Forest got the idea for their 1977-ish off-yellow away shorts from yellow snow!

Picture/Kit Help on 21:12 - Nov 30 with 1957 views442Dale

Looks like he's wearing the home shirt underneath the away one. Also noticeable are the stripes on the turnovers on the socks. http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Rochdale/Rochdale.htm had us in plain socks that season.

Wondering if it might be a navy blue shirt. I'd buy one.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Picture/Kit Help on 21:44 - Nov 30 with 1917 viewsD_Dale

All I wrote in a diary on 2/2/63, apart from who I went with, was 'first match since 29 Dec 1962, due to the freeze-up, and lost 5-1!' It's almost certainly a false memory, but might the wider stripes have been blue and the narrow ones yellow?
Picture/Kit Help on 21:49 - Nov 30 with 1908 viewsThacks_Rabbits

I am more concerned that his Calf is bigger than his thigh lol.

Got a feeling it was Yellow and Blue but cant swear to it as way before my time - think I have programs from that era so may be able to find out :)

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Picture/Kit Help on 21:56 - Nov 30 with 1880 viewsTVOS1907

Picture/Kit Help on 21:49 - Nov 30 by Thacks_Rabbits

I am more concerned that his Calf is bigger than his thigh lol.

Got a feeling it was Yellow and Blue but cant swear to it as way before my time - think I have programs from that era so may be able to find out :)

Actually, that's a good idea.

I haven't got the Oldham programme from Feb 1963, but have looked through the other away programmes from that season.

Stockport's listed Dale's colours as Red Shirts, White Shorts.

Darlington's listed Dale's colours as Black & White Stripes.

The others all listed various combinations of white and black.

Picture/Kit Help on 21:56 - Nov 30 with 1878 viewsBigKindo

Struggling on this. However I do recall Oldham playing that winter when many didn't. They left the snow on the pitch and played in basketball shoes, a bit like the present day Converse shoes but a boot style.
Picture/Kit Help on 22:29 - Nov 30 with 1838 viewsTalkingSutty

Picture/Kit Help on 21:12 - Nov 30 by 442Dale

Looks like he's wearing the home shirt underneath the away one. Also noticeable are the stripes on the turnovers on the socks. http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Rochdale/Rochdale.htm had us in plain socks that season.

Wondering if it might be a navy blue shirt. I'd buy one.

Would make a great retro shirt and have you noticed the size of the club badge?

The large historic picture on the last page of this seasons programme is a good addition. When i finished studying this particular one i got up off the couch and turned the heating up. It looked bloody freezing.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2014 22:36]
Login to get fewer ads

Picture/Kit Help on 22:30 - Nov 30 with 1832 viewsjudd

Picture/Kit Help on 22:29 - Nov 30 by TalkingSutty

The large historic picture on the last page of this seasons programme is a good addition. When i finished studying this particular one i got up off the couch and turned the heating up. It looked bloody freezing.

No.

Was it not purple and white?

Poll: What is it to be then?

Picture/Kit Help on 22:38 - Nov 30 with 1804 viewsTVOS1907

Picture/Kit Help on 21:56 - Nov 30 by BigKindo

Struggling on this. However I do recall Oldham playing that winter when many didn't. They left the snow on the pitch and played in basketball shoes, a bit like the present day Converse shoes but a boot style.

I was relying on you for the answer, BK.

Picture/Kit Help on 22:39 - Nov 30 with 1801 viewsTalkingSutty

Picture/Kit Help on 22:30 - Nov 30 by judd

No.

Was it not purple and white?

Appears to be black and white, wasn't aware we ever played in purple and white stripes.
Picture/Kit Help on 22:42 - Nov 30 with 1789 viewsjudd

Picture/Kit Help on 22:39 - Nov 30 by TalkingSutty

Appears to be black and white, wasn't aware we ever played in purple and white stripes.

I don't know why that colour combination came up in my head, but somewhere in the deepest recesses I seem to remember seeing a purple and white shirt with a huge Dale crest on it.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Picture/Kit Help on 22:45 - Nov 30 with 1780 views442Dale

The shirt looks slightly lighter than the black shorts, could be wrong.

Of course, I'd love it to be purple.

Picture/Kit Help on 22:48 - Nov 30 with 1774 viewsTalkingSutty

Picture/Kit Help on 22:45 - Nov 30 by 442Dale

The shirt looks slightly lighter than the black shorts, could be wrong.

Of course, I'd love it to be purple.

Royal blue with a white pin stripe would be my preference, looks like it would weigh a ton when wet. Proper shirt.
Picture/Kit Help on 22:52 - Nov 30 with 1752 views442Dale

Picture/Kit Help on 22:48 - Nov 30 by TalkingSutty

Royal blue with a white pin stripe would be my preference, looks like it would weigh a ton when wet. Proper shirt.

Yeah but we wouldn't be silly enough to wear that against Oldham's blue & white shirts, surely?

You'll be telling me we wore all purple at Shrewsbury next.

Picture/Kit Help on 22:52 - Nov 30 with 1748 viewsTVOS1907

It would only clash with all those teams in blue
[Post edited 30 Nov 2014 22:54]

Picture/Kit Help on 22:54 - Nov 30 with 1741 viewsTVOS1907

Picture/Kit Help on 22:29 - Nov 30 by TalkingSutty

Don't you mean turned the heating on?

Picture/Kit Help on 23:05 - Nov 30 with 1720 viewsTalkingSutty

Picture/Kit Help on 22:54 - Nov 30 by TVOS1907

Don't you mean turned the heating on?

No, i turned it up a couple of notches. Invest in a thermostat, they're well good.
Picture/Kit Help on 23:09 - Nov 30 with 1704 viewsTVOS1907

Picture/Kit Help on 23:05 - Nov 30 by TalkingSutty

No, i turned it up a couple of notches. Invest in a thermostat, they're well good.

Sorry. Was mixing you up with roccy.

Picture/Kit Help on 23:19 - Nov 30 with 1691 viewsD_Dale

Fifty years ago, t'Ob printed full reports of Dale's games (by 'Scrutator'?) which might be worth checking in the library just in case the colour of the shirts was mentioned ... and possibly Oldham library has the 'Green Final' of 2/2/1963 which would have carried a report on the front page.
Picture/Kit Help on 23:20 - Nov 30 with 1688 viewsTalkingSutty

Picture/Kit Help on 23:09 - Nov 30 by TVOS1907

Sorry. Was mixing you up with roccy.

That's like being kicked in the knackers with a pair of hob nailed boots,cheers.
Picture/Kit Help on 23:35 - Nov 30 with 1670 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Still have the Green and red striped shirt somewhere - circa 1980 - cant add to anything re colours yet - :(

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Picture/Kit Help on 00:06 - Dec 1 with 1640 viewsTVOS1907

Picture/Kit Help on 23:19 - Nov 30 by D_Dale

Fifty years ago, t'Ob printed full reports of Dale's games (by 'Scrutator'?) which might be worth checking in the library just in case the colour of the shirts was mentioned ... and possibly Oldham library has the 'Green Final' of 2/2/1963 which would have carried a report on the front page.

Yeah, I know, I spend quite a lot of time at the library in the close season looking-up historical stuff. I'll maybe try to get down there over Christmas to see if the Oldham report mentions anything.

Thanks

Picture/Kit Help on 01:27 - Dec 1 with 1602 viewsbocadave

The shirt was red with white pin stripes,I know cos I was there.
Picture/Kit Help on 08:01 - Dec 1 with 1555 viewsTalkingSutty

Picture/Kit Help on 22:52 - Nov 30 by 442Dale

Yeah but we wouldn't be silly enough to wear that against Oldham's blue & white shirts, surely?

You'll be telling me we wore all purple at Shrewsbury next.

Can't imagine Hillcroft would ever allow one of their teams to wear a purple kit, you've made that up. Maybe it was part of Hillys cunning plot to wean us off blue and eventually settle on his beloved red. Purple is like a sort of halfway house.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2014 8:05]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024