Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goalkeeper situation 23:58 - Mar 11 with 7894 viewsCanaDale

Firstly, this isnt a bashing of Wilson, its tough being an exile fan. How good is this lad? I know we have been conceeding a lot lately, I'm not saying he is at fault but is he any better than Logan? Is Logan injured, I know he was dropped due to bad form, but is it timento put him back in? Someone posted a stat about Wilson, he is yet to win a professional game? I know he has only just started, I just found that interesting.
Goalkeeper situation on 07:21 - Mar 13 with 2251 views442Dale

Goalkeeper situation on 06:15 - Mar 13 by nordenblue

I think the fact that Dale's keepers for a while have been less consistent in general leads you to believe that,a whole generation of goalkeepers hasn't suddenly become less consistent/dominant surely?

The description "reasonable" suits him quite well,but if we've any plans of finishing higher up league 1 we need players who are better than "reasonable" though.....

No, the evidence available throughout the game at various levels has led me to believe it.

Again, there are few keepers higher up the table who standout either. For example Barnsley went up in the playoffs last season with Adam Davies in goal, he was decent enough but hardly a standout keeper and went through a spell out of the side. He's now playing regularly in the Championship.

We might be able to get someone better than Lillis, that will be a preferred option, but it won't be as crucial as other positions as to where we finish at this level.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Goalkeeper situation on 08:15 - Mar 13 with 2198 viewsdingdangblue

Goalkeeper situation on 21:48 - Mar 12 by TVOS1907

Which begs the question of why Hill gave him a two-year deal last summer...

Player of the season last year?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Goalkeeper situation on 08:34 - Mar 13 with 2162 viewsTVOS1907

Goalkeeper situation on 08:15 - Mar 13 by dingdangblue

Player of the season last year?

Aye, although I doubt Hill does sentiment.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Goalkeeper situation on 09:14 - Mar 13 with 2103 viewsdingdangblue

Goalkeeper situation on 08:34 - Mar 13 by TVOS1907

Aye, although I doubt Hill does sentiment.

He comes across as not doing - but then you get Holness,Thompson,TK,RNL situations where sentiment is obvious.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Goalkeeper situation on 10:34 - Mar 13 with 2016 viewsTVOS1907

Goalkeeper situation on 09:14 - Mar 13 by dingdangblue

He comes across as not doing - but then you get Holness,Thompson,TK,RNL situations where sentiment is obvious.

True.

It's very contradictory at times.

Goalkeeper situation on 11:03 - Mar 13 with 1973 viewsDaleiLama

Goalkeeper situation on 20:28 - Mar 12 by fitzochris

Sponsor irony.

He'll never walk alone. Hundreds and thousands there to support him.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Goalkeeper situation on 12:45 - Mar 13 with 1864 viewsnordenblue

Goalkeeper situation on 07:21 - Mar 13 by 442Dale

No, the evidence available throughout the game at various levels has led me to believe it.

Again, there are few keepers higher up the table who standout either. For example Barnsley went up in the playoffs last season with Adam Davies in goal, he was decent enough but hardly a standout keeper and went through a spell out of the side. He's now playing regularly in the Championship.

We might be able to get someone better than Lillis, that will be a preferred option, but it won't be as crucial as other positions as to where we finish at this level.

I'd say a decent keeper is pretty crucial and goes a long way to where you finish in any league...

You believe keepers like De Gea,Petr Cech,Courtois,Heaton,Lloris are any worse or less consistent than previous keepers from previous years,I'm sorry I can't agree with that one bit and even the bottom end of the premier league there are decent consistent keepers at lots of clubs.
Goalkeeper situation on 16:00 - Mar 13 with 1749 viewspioneer

Goalkeeper situation on 11:03 - Mar 13 by DaleiLama

He'll never walk alone. Hundreds and thousands there to support him.

he obviously fell for the 'Mars a day helps you work rest and play" nonsense - just upped the dose a bit.
Login to get fewer ads

Goalkeeper situation on 16:44 - Mar 13 with 1689 viewsTipperaryDale

Logan has been incredibly lucky to be handed a contract and come to Dale as first choice. Unfortunately he has not been professional, and has let himself go. Not the right attitude and his lack of respect should mean he shouldn't play no matter what.
Goalkeeper situation on 18:20 - Mar 13 with 1572 views442Dale

Goalkeeper situation on 12:45 - Mar 13 by nordenblue

I'd say a decent keeper is pretty crucial and goes a long way to where you finish in any league...

You believe keepers like De Gea,Petr Cech,Courtois,Heaton,Lloris are any worse or less consistent than previous keepers from previous years,I'm sorry I can't agree with that one bit and even the bottom end of the premier league there are decent consistent keepers at lots of clubs.

I said keepers in general are far less consistent across various levels. Those you have noted are/have been excellent and will undoubtedly win their sides points across the season, but the overall consistency and quality isn't what it was - purely an opinion. In the Premier League the likes of Gomes, Hennessey and Grant have played regularly for their clubs, do I rate any of them? Nope. But they get games and are seen as decent enough keepers and in general I believe standards have changed, that's all. Give me Schmeichel over De Gea every day, and that's no criticism of the latter.

Which is very similar situation to Lillis himself. Some might not rate him but he's proven to be competent enough as a lower league goalkeeper in a successful side. Would we want a keeper to come in who is better? Of course. But should that be a priority with it being the difference between finishing in the top six in L1 or somewhere else? The lack of evidence supporting it in terms of names of keepers who are available, or those who have made a real difference at this level recently, indicates we should be grateful we have a very good player who we know will perform to a decent standard, and make other areas of the side a bigger priority (central defence being the no.1 for me).

He's played a big part in our success, so yeah really I do agree that a decent keeper is pretty crucial! Best case scenario is we get someone who can really push Lillis who, if they get the shirt and Lillis spends the majority of the campaign on the bench, can be a no.1 straight away. Logan 14/15 would have been the perfect option, maybe he can recapture that form? He certainly deserves the opportunity for the rest of the campaign to prove it.

Goalkeeper situation on 19:04 - Mar 13 with 1510 viewsnordenblue

Goalkeeper situation on 18:20 - Mar 13 by 442Dale

I said keepers in general are far less consistent across various levels. Those you have noted are/have been excellent and will undoubtedly win their sides points across the season, but the overall consistency and quality isn't what it was - purely an opinion. In the Premier League the likes of Gomes, Hennessey and Grant have played regularly for their clubs, do I rate any of them? Nope. But they get games and are seen as decent enough keepers and in general I believe standards have changed, that's all. Give me Schmeichel over De Gea every day, and that's no criticism of the latter.

Which is very similar situation to Lillis himself. Some might not rate him but he's proven to be competent enough as a lower league goalkeeper in a successful side. Would we want a keeper to come in who is better? Of course. But should that be a priority with it being the difference between finishing in the top six in L1 or somewhere else? The lack of evidence supporting it in terms of names of keepers who are available, or those who have made a real difference at this level recently, indicates we should be grateful we have a very good player who we know will perform to a decent standard, and make other areas of the side a bigger priority (central defence being the no.1 for me).

He's played a big part in our success, so yeah really I do agree that a decent keeper is pretty crucial! Best case scenario is we get someone who can really push Lillis who, if they get the shirt and Lillis spends the majority of the campaign on the bench, can be a no.1 straight away. Logan 14/15 would have been the perfect option, maybe he can recapture that form? He certainly deserves the opportunity for the rest of the campaign to prove it.

I'm struggling to see where you can base an opinion that current keepers are far less consistent and lacking in quality in comparison to previous seasons, one thing I'd guess that keepers in general now will be fitter(not Logan!!) even more so at the top level and you'd like to believe that would lead to more agility/speed and inturn a better standard of individual performance.
Goalkeeper situation on 19:16 - Mar 13 with 1489 viewselectricblue

Goalkeeper situation on 16:44 - Mar 13 by TipperaryDale

Logan has been incredibly lucky to be handed a contract and come to Dale as first choice. Unfortunately he has not been professional, and has let himself go. Not the right attitude and his lack of respect should mean he shouldn't play no matter what.

But isnt that down to the GK coaching staff and the fitness coaches to get Logan fit and ready to play !
Carrying extra weight wont do the injury that Logan sustained any good at all.
Also knowing about Logans injury should have the coaches putting him through a training regime that helps his injury to recover..
Or
Perhaps Logan cant properly train during the week..

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Goalkeeper situation on 19:21 - Mar 13 with 1480 viewsTVOS1907

Goalkeeper situation on 19:04 - Mar 13 by nordenblue

I'm struggling to see where you can base an opinion that current keepers are far less consistent and lacking in quality in comparison to previous seasons, one thing I'd guess that keepers in general now will be fitter(not Logan!!) even more so at the top level and you'd like to believe that would lead to more agility/speed and inturn a better standard of individual performance.

It's actually much easier to see the positives and negatives of goalkeeping these days than in the past by watching the numerous highlights programme across a weekend.

Goalkeeper situation on 19:23 - Mar 13 with 1472 views442Dale

Goalkeeper situation on 19:04 - Mar 13 by nordenblue

Using some of the keepers you named as examples:
Schmeichel > De Gea
Seaman > Cech
Cech > Courtois
Clemence > Lloris

Again, it's all opinion with the caveat that the game has changed and things like distribution are playing a bigger part. I fully accept that the very best are exactly that and could justifiably be argued as better than those previously, but the other evidence I supplied around keepers in general and the lack of names at our level back up my point. In fact, Lillis is a modern day keeper who fits the agility/speed template, and yes he isn't that dominant in his own box. And neither is De Gea when compared to Schmeichel.

I'd have a Martin Hodge in goal every week, but it isn't going to happen much these days and there have been trade-offs around what club's want. We need only look at Man City to see this. Fact is, we've not done badly with Lillis and besides Logan can we identify any other keeper who we could have had over the last four years that would have been better? No one has on here yet, so it's now down to the manager.

Goalkeeper situation on 20:15 - Mar 13 with 1391 viewsColDale

Goalkeeper situation on 10:34 - Mar 13 by TVOS1907

True.

It's very contradictory at times.

Hilly seeems to have a higher expectation level of keepers than he does for other positions and he seems to be far less forgiving of them, and given the closeness of the two, it's perhaps not a coincidence that it's a philosophy shared by Flicker (tho Flicker did it to the nth degree and then some). Other outfield players seem to have been allowed to play their bad spells, whilst Logan's bad spell lasted just three games.
Goalkeeper situation on 21:00 - Mar 13 with 1288 viewsdingdangblue

Talking of goalkeepers, Gillingham's Stuart Nelson had a bizarre experience against Scunthorpe last Saturday! Nutmegged twice and still ended up on the winning side!

Goalkeeper situation on 21:05 - Mar 13 with 1279 views442Dale

Goalkeeper situation on 20:15 - Mar 13 by ColDale

Hilly seeems to have a higher expectation level of keepers than he does for other positions and he seems to be far less forgiving of them, and given the closeness of the two, it's perhaps not a coincidence that it's a philosophy shared by Flicker (tho Flicker did it to the nth degree and then some). Other outfield players seem to have been allowed to play their bad spells, whilst Logan's bad spell lasted just three games.

Lillis had a 'bad spell' at Bradford that we're all still trying to work out!

Goalkeeper situation on 21:21 - Mar 13 with 1259 viewsCanaDale

It's interesting people commenting on how much Lillis has been missed, he has received more flack than most keepers we've had over the years.

I like Lillis, but he just doesn't have that presence that is needed. Conrad, for me, if he is at the club should always be number 1, assuming he is fit. The defence seem to know more about where they should be with him, I can't comment on Wilson, but it surely can not hurt to make a change.

Who is in the centre of defence lately, with Keane and Jim Mc we looked very stable, and with Rafferty and Bunney, two high quality full backs, any news on Bunney coming back? He's probably been the biggest loss, though that seems odd to say given past history.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024