Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leo Bertos 05:03 - Nov 6 with 4286 viewsMolly

I promise I'm not "doing a Milly" but at present I'm part way through a tour of New Zealand. Had to get up at 3.45 a.m. Sunday to listen to the match!!

I've just got back to the room after sharing a swimming bath and sauna with half of the NZ football team who are staying at the same hotel.

For those of you who remember him we got chatting about Leo Bertos and they seemed to think he is now playing in the Northern New South Wales league in Australia.

I remember him scoring a cracking break away goal at Kidderminster to help keep us away from the bottom of league 2.

Anyone else got any "Bertos" memories?
[Post edited 6 Nov 2017 5:11]
Leo Bertos on 09:26 - Nov 6 with 4098 viewsFrog

I think I remember that goal, was it around 2003? Never been to Kidderminster since.
Leo Bertos on 11:33 - Nov 6 with 4002 viewscumbria_dale

A frustrating player was Leo - had the attributes to be really good but for me he lacked that extra bit of desire and grit - came across as though he didn't have confidence in his own abilities and would drift in and out of games. I do remember him having some decent spells though, one game in particular away against Hull in their promotion season in 2004 - they'd not been in their new stadium for long and I remember him nearly scoring a worldy if it wasnt for Boaz Myhill.
Leo Bertos on 12:30 - Nov 6 with 3948 viewsEllDale

That game at Hull was the first time that I had seen Steve Parkin set us up 4-5-1.

We lost it 1-0 to a great goal from Damien Delaney who smashed it from about 30 yards past Taffy.

After that we really took that game to them and nearly sneaked a draw as you say.

That 1-0 win at Kidderminster came I think in April 2004 and more or less kept us up.

When Bertos came in 2003 I think it was on the recommendation of Tony Ford who had been at Barnsley with him. Did Sean McClare come at the same time?
Leo Bertos on 12:35 - Nov 6 with 3934 viewsDaleFan7

I remember playing Charlton at The Valley in 2005 in the FA Cup. Holt scored a worldy and Bertos tore them a new one all game. Unfortunately they were far more clinical than us and we lost 4-1.
Leo Bertos on 12:38 - Nov 6 with 3923 viewsD_Alien

Leo Bertos on 12:30 - Nov 6 by EllDale

That game at Hull was the first time that I had seen Steve Parkin set us up 4-5-1.

We lost it 1-0 to a great goal from Damien Delaney who smashed it from about 30 yards past Taffy.

After that we really took that game to them and nearly sneaked a draw as you say.

That 1-0 win at Kidderminster came I think in April 2004 and more or less kept us up.

When Bertos came in 2003 I think it was on the recommendation of Tony Ford who had been at Barnsley with him. Did Sean McClare come at the same time?

Remember Hull fans being complimentary about our performance that day on the special bus back to the car parking

The shot swerved a couple of times in the air, enough to beat any keeper, to deny us what would've been a well-deserved point

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Leo Bertos on 12:47 - Nov 6 with 3909 viewsfermin

I remember an FA Cup tie at Stevenage, where I am pretty certain he got taken out when clear through on goal late on.
Leo Bertos on 20:19 - Nov 6 with 3714 viewscumbria_dale

looks like it was going to be something special to beat Edwards that day - some great saves.

Hull had a fantastic team that year - didnt win the Div 3 championship though (that was Donny) but they won back-to-back promotions and have been in the top two divisions ever since. Still, we certainly ran them close that day.
Leo Bertos on 09:34 - Nov 7 with 3510 viewsdownunder

One special memory about Leo. He was one of the Subs in the last game before we migrated. He was warming up near the corner flag, my youngest son went up to him to tell him he was travelling to NZ. Leo talked to him until the steward "moved him on", but he made the young lad's day.
On the field, Hull away was special, and the first goal at bury. (Second score by Townson, when he celebrated in the stand)
Molly, if you are in the Christchurch area, feel free to message me. Always willing to act as a guide to visitors to this awesome country.
Login to get fewer ads

Leo Bertos on 12:38 - Nov 7 with 3371 viewsMorden

Leo Bertos on 12:35 - Nov 6 by DaleFan7

I remember playing Charlton at The Valley in 2005 in the FA Cup. Holt scored a worldy and Bertos tore them a new one all game. Unfortunately they were far more clinical than us and we lost 4-1.

Yep remember that one, but not as well as I thought. I used to go on about him skinning Konchesky, before going on to wonder what Liverpool ever saw in Konchesky. Then I looked back over BBC reports of the game and discovered that Konchesky didn't actually get on until the 79th minute
Leo Bertos on 17:40 - Nov 7 with 3208 viewsMolly

Leo Bertos on 09:34 - Nov 7 by downunder

One special memory about Leo. He was one of the Subs in the last game before we migrated. He was warming up near the corner flag, my youngest son went up to him to tell him he was travelling to NZ. Leo talked to him until the steward "moved him on", but he made the young lad's day.
On the field, Hull away was special, and the first goal at bury. (Second score by Townson, when he celebrated in the stand)
Molly, if you are in the Christchurch area, feel free to message me. Always willing to act as a guide to visitors to this awesome country.

Downunder you have a PM
Leo Bertos on 18:57 - Nov 7 with 3138 viewsAtThePeake

Leo Bertos on 12:38 - Nov 7 by Morden

Yep remember that one, but not as well as I thought. I used to go on about him skinning Konchesky, before going on to wonder what Liverpool ever saw in Konchesky. Then I looked back over BBC reports of the game and discovered that Konchesky didn't actually get on until the 79th minute

Remember Fortune playing CB for them and struggling to cope with Holt and Bertos all game - although scoring one of their four goals from a corner.

Tangled up in blue.

Leo Bertos on 18:59 - Nov 7 with 3131 viewsdownunder

Leo Bertos on 17:40 - Nov 7 by Molly

Downunder you have a PM

Replied. Enjoy the rest of your trip.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024