Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dale v Hornets 21:42 - Aug 12 with 1543 viewsmikehunt

Right, here's one for th' owd uns. Did I dream this or did Dale play Hornets in a charity fixture in the sixties?They played one half of rugby and one half footie. I think Dale won but have no idea how they would have scored it. (If, indeed, it ever happened).

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Dale v Hornets on 21:52 - Aug 12 with 1525 viewsSuddenLad

They played several games in a 50/50 benefit match to raise money for charity. As you say, half they played each other, one game was soccer based and rhe second half was rugby based. For that reason, the game was played at the old Athletic grounds, because they had the rugby post in situ.

They were very entertaining and from memory, well attended.It must have been mid-60's. I remember Reg Jenkins playing in a rugby match along with others from thatbtime.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Dale v Hornets on 21:55 - Aug 12 with 1520 viewsmikehunt

Bloody hell! So it did happen! I can't get my head around that at all

Dale v Hornets on 08:44 - Aug 13 with 1262 viewsdingdangblue

Dale v Hornets on 21:52 - Aug 12 by SuddenLad

They played several games in a 50/50 benefit match to raise money for charity. As you say, half they played each other, one game was soccer based and rhe second half was rugby based. For that reason, the game was played at the old Athletic grounds, because they had the rugby post in situ.

They were very entertaining and from memory, well attended.It must have been mid-60's. I remember Reg Jenkins playing in a rugby match along with others from thatbtime.

Did Reg play fullback?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Dale v Hornets on 11:18 - Aug 13 with 1165 viewspioneer

I think a similar contest was held for a few cosecutive years in the fifties. I have programmes from a couple and I think there might have been a write up on them in the yearbooks that were produced in those days.
Dale v Hornets on 14:03 - Aug 13 with 1025 viewsmikehunt

Cracking idea for a fund raiser but can’t see anyone risking it in this day and age.

Dale v Hornets on 14:21 - Aug 13 with 1011 viewsmingthemerciless

I remember seeing one in the 1970' s I think. The football club had a winger ( Stuart Thompson ? ) who was really rapid at rugby and scored a hat trick of tries. A pal of mine went to one in the 1960's and told me Reg Jenkins had played a lot of Rugby in his early days as a lad in Cornwall and looked a natural at rugby league, a goal kicking prop forward I believe.

If you talk to lots of rugby league players they've had trials at pro football clubs but weren't quite good enough.

I remember being at the old Athletic Grounds when the rugby ball was kicked into the crowd. Somebody threw the ball back in to the Hornets winger, a Welsh lad called Prichard. He kept it up with his right foot and played keepy uppy with it as he turned around , left foot then right foot, fat end and pointed end. He must have had about 20 touches before he kicked back to the scrum half. I couldn't have done that and I wasn't bad at juggling the ball.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2018 14:24]
Dale v Hornets on 11:15 - Aug 15 with 696 viewsEllDale

I'd swear on a a stack of bibles that I saw one of these games at Spotland in the late 1960's and also one at Hornets' old ground around 1985.
I recall being in the tearoom under the stand after the latter game and listening to David Kilpatrick recounting his Joe Royle anecdotes.
For the one at Spotland I stood with my dad in the paddock in front of the right hand side of the main stand.
I remember in the 45 mins of football one of the Hornets sending a screamer over the bar and pretending to celebrate.
The rugby was very low key with not much physicality.
Dale v Hornets on 13:34 - Aug 15 with 635 viewsmingthemerciless

Dale v Hornets on 11:15 - Aug 15 by EllDale

I'd swear on a a stack of bibles that I saw one of these games at Spotland in the late 1960's and also one at Hornets' old ground around 1985.
I recall being in the tearoom under the stand after the latter game and listening to David Kilpatrick recounting his Joe Royle anecdotes.
For the one at Spotland I stood with my dad in the paddock in front of the right hand side of the main stand.
I remember in the 45 mins of football one of the Hornets sending a screamer over the bar and pretending to celebrate.
The rugby was very low key with not much physicality.

I think I was at the 1985 game. That was the one were the Dale player ran in a hat trick of tries out on the right wing. He looked really quick.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024