Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Striker anyone?! 09:44 - Aug 14 with 9359 viewsNDGN82

Is it me or do we have a phobia of investing in a decent striker/goalscorer?

For me, it’s ok blaming defensive mistakes but we never really looked like scoring other than the penalty. We need someone ruthless/selfish in the penalty area that doesn’t mind putting his neck on the line to get his name on the scoresheet.

Hendo is more creative/clever and will grab a few goals but he’s not a poacher.

Can’t remember the last time I got excited about signing a striker since we paid £150k for Paul Connor. Surely we could invest in someone like this that can’t quite get in a Championship team or someone from lower leagues that knows where the back of the net is. At the end of the day, it would be an investment - potentially more gate receipts/fans through the door, merchandise sales, higher prize money if we finish higher in the league, and then the potential to sell on!
Striker anyone?! on 10:32 - Aug 14 with 3965 viewsMolly

Yes it's you.
Striker anyone?! on 10:34 - Aug 14 with 3957 viewsNDGN82

Striker anyone?! on 10:32 - Aug 14 by Molly

Yes it's you.

Fair enough!!
Striker anyone?! on 10:38 - Aug 14 with 3933 viewsdingdangblue

Were you not excited about signing Chris O'Grady and Adam LeFondre? They were both after Connor!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Striker anyone?! on 10:38 - Aug 14 with 3936 viewsrod_leach

Less a phobia, more the cost I'd guess.
Striker anyone?! on 10:46 - Aug 14 with 3922 viewsNDGN82

Striker anyone?! on 10:38 - Aug 14 by dingdangblue

Were you not excited about signing Chris O'Grady and Adam LeFondre? They were both after Connor!

Perhaps a little!! Le Fondre in particular is the type of player with that natural instinct that I feel we need at the moment if he’s going to play with a big man (Calvin or Aaron) up top.

I think half of the battle is that KH wants someone who runs themselves into the ground for 90 minutes non-stop, but the best strikers/finishers don’t necessarily always do that! Alfie is a good example of that type of player
Striker anyone?! on 10:56 - Aug 14 with 3889 viewsdingdangblue

Striker anyone?! on 10:46 - Aug 14 by NDGN82

Perhaps a little!! Le Fondre in particular is the type of player with that natural instinct that I feel we need at the moment if he’s going to play with a big man (Calvin or Aaron) up top.

I think half of the battle is that KH wants someone who runs themselves into the ground for 90 minutes non-stop, but the best strikers/finishers don’t necessarily always do that! Alfie is a good example of that type of player

I think half the battle is that a decent proven striker costs money that we aren't prepared to gamble. Peterborough are reported to have paid 600k for Ivan Toney and given him a 3 year deal - wages over that period are going to be at least £500k. Are you expecting Dale to spend over £1million pound on 1 player?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Striker anyone?! on 11:01 - Aug 14 with 3884 viewsfitzochris

I agree with your general point. With Henderson being played further back or wide, we are left with two forwards who, while useful, are not prolific.

It seems Hill likes his goals to come from the likes of players in Inman’s position, and that’s fair enough, but that approach was nullified quite easily by Peterborough and Wilbraham was left to toil alone. Not even the introduction of Calvin helped really.

The problem we have is that any player who has already proven they can score goals is out of our reach. Therefore we are left to take a risk on potential or a broken toy.

We may well still do this.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2018 15:12]

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Striker anyone?! on 11:15 - Aug 14 with 3858 viewsJimmyRustler

We had that type of player with Davies but he just wasn't fit enough. Interestingly enough, his appearance in the stands at Burton made it look like he'd lost a fair bit of weight. What price we re-sign him on a pay as you play deal?
[Post edited 14 Aug 2018 11:17]
Login to get fewer ads

Striker anyone?! on 11:24 - Aug 14 with 3821 viewsTVOS1907

You mean like Jon Shaw and Jack Muldoon?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Striker anyone?! on 11:32 - Aug 14 with 3804 viewsNDGN82

Striker anyone?! on 10:56 - Aug 14 by dingdangblue

I think half the battle is that a decent proven striker costs money that we aren't prepared to gamble. Peterborough are reported to have paid 600k for Ivan Toney and given him a 3 year deal - wages over that period are going to be at least £500k. Are you expecting Dale to spend over £1million pound on 1 player?

Obviously Peterborough are a bit of a one off in our division but what they do do normally is re-invest in players using a small amount of money they receive from selling players on to purchase several players with further potential to sell on. They did it with Aaron McLean, Craig McKail-Smith, etc, etc, and then spend a couple of hundred thousand on replacements to potentially sell on again. That winger (bit of a nob but can’t remember his name!) they’ll probably do the same with, as they will with Dembele. These players aren’t initially out of reach when they’re plying their trade in non-league but obviously they are after they’ve made the step up.

I appreciate we’ve tried this with Williams, Muldoon & Shaw a few years back but none have these have been up to scratch! Maybe we need a better scouting network!!
Striker anyone?! on 11:33 - Aug 14 with 3792 viewsTVOS1907

Striker anyone?! on 11:32 - Aug 14 by NDGN82

Obviously Peterborough are a bit of a one off in our division but what they do do normally is re-invest in players using a small amount of money they receive from selling players on to purchase several players with further potential to sell on. They did it with Aaron McLean, Craig McKail-Smith, etc, etc, and then spend a couple of hundred thousand on replacements to potentially sell on again. That winger (bit of a nob but can’t remember his name!) they’ll probably do the same with, as they will with Dembele. These players aren’t initially out of reach when they’re plying their trade in non-league but obviously they are after they’ve made the step up.

I appreciate we’ve tried this with Williams, Muldoon & Shaw a few years back but none have these have been up to scratch! Maybe we need a better scouting network!!

Or more money and bigger crowds.

Striker anyone?! on 11:34 - Aug 14 with 3792 views442Dale

Striker anyone?! on 11:15 - Aug 14 by JimmyRustler

We had that type of player with Davies but he just wasn't fit enough. Interestingly enough, his appearance in the stands at Burton made it look like he'd lost a fair bit of weight. What price we re-sign him on a pay as you play deal?
[Post edited 14 Aug 2018 11:17]

This would probably be the best option right now. An unattached player who we know scores goals and impacts games.

Offer him a deal until January and see from there.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Striker anyone?! on 11:41 - Aug 14 with 3762 viewsNDGN82

Striker anyone?! on 11:34 - Aug 14 by 442Dale

This would probably be the best option right now. An unattached player who we know scores goals and impacts games.

Offer him a deal until January and see from there.

Might aswell - nothing to lose
Striker anyone?! on 11:43 - Aug 14 with 3753 viewsNDGN82

Striker anyone?! on 11:33 - Aug 14 by TVOS1907

Or more money and bigger crowds.

Provided by the excitement and prize money, and sell on fees created by a new striker?! 😂
Striker anyone?! on 11:47 - Aug 14 with 3721 viewsTVOS1907

Striker anyone?! on 11:43 - Aug 14 by NDGN82

Provided by the excitement and prize money, and sell on fees created by a new striker?! 😂

… who wouldn't come with a guarantee.

Anyway, the transfer window closed last week.

Striker anyone?! on 11:56 - Aug 14 with 3709 viewsNDGN82

Striker anyone?! on 11:47 - Aug 14 by TVOS1907

… who wouldn't come with a guarantee.

Anyway, the transfer window closed last week.

Nobody comes with a guarantee of course but I’m talking a reasonable risk given our current/stable financial position wouldn’t be out of the question?

Could sign on loan with view to permanent as we did with Alfie & COG
Striker anyone?! on 12:00 - Aug 14 with 3694 viewsDaleiLama

Are we missing a lot of chances? Haven't been able to get to any games yet so looking forward to Fleetwood to see how we fare there. Just from a numbers p-o-v, we had 7 shots at Burton but only 2 on target. Those numbers were 15 and 4 for us vs Posh. Seems like we either had a lot of long range punts or wasted too many chances? Interested to hear opinions on that.

Another point in this connection - was reading an interesting article in the Times at the weekend about United being unable to break down two banks of 4 when employing a more "defensive" mindset (as they often did last season) whilst City play no fear football and have more flair players to break defences down. Are Raff and Matty (or whoever is playing wing-back) making enough forays up the wing and getting to the by line to put quality balls into dangerous areas? Is anyone running at a team like NML used to do (and Inman has shown he can do, but does so too infrequently for me, whilst sometimes running himself into dead ends). I do wonder if we need a really good winger as much as we need a striker (which JW 11 was supposed to be and may still one day be)? Possession may be 9/10 of the law but goals win games.

That being said, a "poacher"* may well earn his money. On our budget, we aren't going to attract a striker who can create their own chances in a Ronaldo-type (or NML to a lesser extent) mould

* still prefer the term goal-hanger?
[Post edited 14 Aug 2018 12:09]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Striker anyone?! on 12:05 - Aug 14 with 3662 viewsTVOS1907

Striker anyone?! on 11:56 - Aug 14 by NDGN82

Nobody comes with a guarantee of course but I’m talking a reasonable risk given our current/stable financial position wouldn’t be out of the question?

Could sign on loan with view to permanent as we did with Alfie & COG

Yes, we could if there was such a reliable goalscorer available who wasn't actually playing for another club or one who another club would be willing to let go...

Striker anyone?! on 12:05 - Aug 14 with 3662 views442Dale

Striker anyone?! on 12:00 - Aug 14 by DaleiLama

Are we missing a lot of chances? Haven't been able to get to any games yet so looking forward to Fleetwood to see how we fare there. Just from a numbers p-o-v, we had 7 shots at Burton but only 2 on target. Those numbers were 15 and 4 for us vs Posh. Seems like we either had a lot of long range punts or wasted too many chances? Interested to hear opinions on that.

Another point in this connection - was reading an interesting article in the Times at the weekend about United being unable to break down two banks of 4 when employing a more "defensive" mindset (as they often did last season) whilst City play no fear football and have more flair players to break defences down. Are Raff and Matty (or whoever is playing wing-back) making enough forays up the wing and getting to the by line to put quality balls into dangerous areas? Is anyone running at a team like NML used to do (and Inman has shown he can do, but does so too infrequently for me, whilst sometimes running himself into dead ends). I do wonder if we need a really good winger as much as we need a striker (which JW 11 was supposed to be and may still one day be)? Possession may be 9/10 of the law but goals win games.

That being said, a "poacher"* may well earn his money. On our budget, we aren't going to attract a striker who can create their own chances in a Ronaldo-type (or NML to a lesser extent) mould

The whole debate should be put on hold until Henderson is played in a proper front two and in the box more often. That’s what I’ve taken from the first two games.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Striker anyone?! on 12:07 - Aug 14 with 3652 viewsDaleiLama

Striker anyone?! on 12:05 - Aug 14 by 442Dale

The whole debate should be put on hold until Henderson is played in a proper front two and in the box more often. That’s what I’ve taken from the first two games.

Fair comment. I read he was spent some time at RB. 'nuff said.

Striker anyone?! on 12:09 - Aug 14 with 3633 viewsTVOS1907

Striker anyone?! on 12:00 - Aug 14 by DaleiLama

No, we aren't really missing a lot of chances, but we've just lost to a team with a large budget who will probably be among the promotion-chasers this season.

Striker anyone?! on 12:13 - Aug 14 with 3618 viewsrochdaleriddler

Striker anyone?! on 12:05 - Aug 14 by 442Dale

Maybe, I’d love to know how much we are paying Perkins and wilbraham though, I bet that would cover a ‘proven’ striker at this level. That’s not a dig at their ages, just I believe a substantial amount of money was found to pay them

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Striker anyone?! on 12:17 - Aug 14 with 3608 viewsDaleiLama

Striker anyone?! on 12:09 - Aug 14 by TVOS1907

No, we aren't really missing a lot of chances, but we've just lost to a team with a large budget who will probably be among the promotion-chasers this season.

Absolutely. No shame in that. We conceded 4 to Oxford at home not so long ago, during a bad day at the office, which came at the end of a 10 game winning streak. It happens even when you play well (which it sounds like we did vs Posh).

I am personally nowhere near the panic button, and we survived last season with a weaker squad than we appear to have this year.

The key to Hilly's good runs have been goals though. He commented that he thought this squad had a lot in it. I'm firmly in the "wait and see" and "46 game season" camp. I hope he's right and as 442 points out (and I alluded to), the way we play and who plays where makes a huge contribution to that.

Striker anyone?! on 12:19 - Aug 14 with 3593 viewsEllDale

It does seem to be a while since we uncovered a Holt, a Lambert, a Murray or even a Le Fondre.

Anthony Elding was heralded as a marquee signing but never really impressed and Shaw and Muldoon, as previously mentioned, floundered for one reason or another.
Striker anyone?! on 12:24 - Aug 14 with 3573 viewsfitzochris

Striker anyone?! on 12:17 - Aug 14 by DaleiLama

Absolutely. No shame in that. We conceded 4 to Oxford at home not so long ago, during a bad day at the office, which came at the end of a 10 game winning streak. It happens even when you play well (which it sounds like we did vs Posh).

I am personally nowhere near the panic button, and we survived last season with a weaker squad than we appear to have this year.

The key to Hilly's good runs have been goals though. He commented that he thought this squad had a lot in it. I'm firmly in the "wait and see" and "46 game season" camp. I hope he's right and as 442 points out (and I alluded to), the way we play and who plays where makes a huge contribution to that.

Peterborough wasn't a bad day at the office, though. We actually played well for the most part.

Dembele's crosses from the left caused problems we still haven't learned to deal with and we offered little up front, but our general retention and moving of the ball was fine.

It's tweaks we're talking about rater than an overhaul and, as 442 says, we still have the opportunity to play Henderson in more advanced role than he is currently.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024