Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Striker anyone?! 09:44 - Aug 14 with 9360 viewsNDGN82

Is it me or do we have a phobia of investing in a decent striker/goalscorer?

For me, it’s ok blaming defensive mistakes but we never really looked like scoring other than the penalty. We need someone ruthless/selfish in the penalty area that doesn’t mind putting his neck on the line to get his name on the scoresheet.

Hendo is more creative/clever and will grab a few goals but he’s not a poacher.

Can’t remember the last time I got excited about signing a striker since we paid £150k for Paul Connor. Surely we could invest in someone like this that can’t quite get in a Championship team or someone from lower leagues that knows where the back of the net is. At the end of the day, it would be an investment - potentially more gate receipts/fans through the door, merchandise sales, higher prize money if we finish higher in the league, and then the potential to sell on!
Striker anyone?! on 11:47 - Aug 16 with 2308 viewsJames1980

Tres amusing
Pundits bang on about them winning with out a "recognised striker" in the team

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Striker anyone?! on 11:58 - Aug 16 with 2282 viewsDaleiLama

Striker anyone?! on 11:47 - Aug 16 by James1980

Tres amusing
Pundits bang on about them winning with out a "recognised striker" in the team

Allez les bleus

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Striker anyone?! on 12:50 - Aug 16 with 2182 viewsboromat

One thought on the striker options. Currently Hill seems determined to stick with having a big man up there whether it's Alby or Calvin. And there are obvious advantages to this but with the fast paced attacking style we're trying to implement maybe going with another option might work better. Hendo and Done has worked previously for example.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Striker anyone?! on 13:37 - Aug 16 with 2128 viewsJimmyRustler

KH has often shown a reluctance to picking/recruiting attacking players if they don't put a shift in going the other way and this could in part, explain why he's a little bit wary when it comes to signing a genuine poacher. Genuine goalscorers who do their bit in both boxes are like gold-dust so we probably won't be signing one anytime soon unless we get lucky with a loan signing somewhere down the line
Striker anyone?! on 14:14 - Aug 16 with 2061 viewsMarpleAlty

As an outsider, it appears the club should be taking risks but unfortunately not many have paid off in recent memory.

Danny Rowe at Fylde woukd have been the obvious candidate but would require parting with a few hundred grand and I'm sure memories of Shaw, Muldoon and Christie (remember him?) loom large.
Striker anyone?! on 17:36 - Aug 16 with 1972 viewsJames1980

Perhaps the lack of shots outside the box is due to a lack in confidence in the team regaining the ball if a miss falls to the opposition enabling them to break.

Striker anyone?! on 18:05 - Aug 16 with 1946 viewsShun

Striker anyone?! on 12:50 - Aug 16 by boromat

One thought on the striker options. Currently Hill seems determined to stick with having a big man up there whether it's Alby or Calvin. And there are obvious advantages to this but with the fast paced attacking style we're trying to implement maybe going with another option might work better. Hendo and Done has worked previously for example.

Henderson and Done were probably my favourite ever strike partnership - their relationship seemed almost psychic in that season they played as our front 2. It’s one of my greatest disappointments about last season that we’d finally got them back in the same team but never once did Hill try and emulate such a successful partnership up front - even in the first half of the season before Done moved to LWB.
Striker anyone?! on 18:11 - Aug 16 with 1939 viewsdale5758

NO waywould we gethim but id makea playforBrett PItman hedcore and do isi shift;)

Poll: Spenhe Hogan windfall and on who?

Login to get fewer ads

Striker anyone?! on 08:46 - Aug 17 with 1797 viewsfitzochris

Striker anyone?! on 14:14 - Aug 16 by MarpleAlty

As an outsider, it appears the club should be taking risks but unfortunately not many have paid off in recent memory.

Danny Rowe at Fylde woukd have been the obvious candidate but would require parting with a few hundred grand and I'm sure memories of Shaw, Muldoon and Christie (remember him?) loom large.

A club north of the border enquiried after Rowe and were quoted £500k.

I’d say that rules us out.

Fylde also put in a bid of £150k for Ayr’s Lawrence Shankland, so they’re clearly not in need of money either.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2018 19:33]

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Striker anyone?! on 17:30 - Aug 17 with 1687 viewsJames1980

Could it be that Hill doesn't just want a small number of players getting the goals? If each of the 22 outfield players scored an average of 3 goals that would have been the 5th best Goals Scored last season. An average of 4 per player would have been only topped, by one goal, by Wigan.

The team can get into what the fans see as goal scoring positions. But seem afraid to pull the trigger, why do people think that might be?

Hill has not said he doesn't want speculative shots being taken from outside the box.

Are us fans to blame to some extent? When a player does take a shot and bleeps it up. Should the majority do more to drown out the vocal minorities shouts of things such as 'you're effing useless, I told you he's useless, yeah you.....you. are. f***ing useless.'

Striker anyone?! on 17:54 - Aug 17 with 1642 viewsD_Alien

Striker anyone?! on 17:30 - Aug 17 by James1980

Could it be that Hill doesn't just want a small number of players getting the goals? If each of the 22 outfield players scored an average of 3 goals that would have been the 5th best Goals Scored last season. An average of 4 per player would have been only topped, by one goal, by Wigan.

The team can get into what the fans see as goal scoring positions. But seem afraid to pull the trigger, why do people think that might be?

Hill has not said he doesn't want speculative shots being taken from outside the box.

Are us fans to blame to some extent? When a player does take a shot and bleeps it up. Should the majority do more to drown out the vocal minorities shouts of things such as 'you're effing useless, I told you he's useless, yeah you.....you. are. f***ing useless.'

I see you didn't emerge unscathed from your sojourn in the Sandy

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Striker anyone?! on 18:08 - Aug 17 with 1618 viewsJames1980

Striker anyone?! on 17:54 - Aug 17 by D_Alien

I see you didn't emerge unscathed from your sojourn in the Sandy

It was an experience But I have invested so I will be back again. Unfortunately not for the next 2 games though. Me and a mate (Burnley supporter also from down south) Are going to the away game against Coventry.

Striker anyone?! on 19:32 - Aug 17 with 1531 viewsSaxonDale

Striker anyone?! on 18:05 - Aug 16 by Shun

Henderson and Done were probably my favourite ever strike partnership - their relationship seemed almost psychic in that season they played as our front 2. It’s one of my greatest disappointments about last season that we’d finally got them back in the same team but never once did Hill try and emulate such a successful partnership up front - even in the first half of the season before Done moved to LWB.

Both were so intelligent and mobile during that half season that even when we broke with just them two (and usually it was just them because of the pace that they broke) we always looked like we'd have a chance of scoring.
Striker anyone?! on 20:11 - Aug 17 with 1472 viewsDaleiLama

Striker anyone?! on 19:32 - Aug 17 by SaxonDale

Both were so intelligent and mobile during that half season that even when we broke with just them two (and usually it was just them because of the pace that they broke) we always looked like we'd have a chance of scoring.

They may not be quite as fast now (not far off), but they have lost none of their guile. Trouble is, if we go with those two as our front pair, we have Calvin and Alby twiddling their thumbs. I guess either could be a ringing of the change on the hour mark? It's good to have this as an option for the future even if it isn't implemented imminently.

Striker anyone?! on 21:34 - Aug 17 with 1390 viewsShun

Striker anyone?! on 20:11 - Aug 17 by DaleiLama

They may not be quite as fast now (not far off), but they have lost none of their guile. Trouble is, if we go with those two as our front pair, we have Calvin and Alby twiddling their thumbs. I guess either could be a ringing of the change on the hour mark? It's good to have this as an option for the future even if it isn't implemented imminently.

I agree that it’s nice that the option is there, but unfortunately Hill seemingly doesn’t see them as an option - the entirety of last season testifies to that.
Striker anyone?! on 21:40 - Aug 17 with 1379 viewsJames1980

Striker anyone?! on 21:34 - Aug 17 by Shun

I agree that it’s nice that the option is there, but unfortunately Hill seemingly doesn’t see them as an option - the entirety of last season testifies to that.

Is it he is gambling with Callum? Thinking each time this game is the one where everything clicks and Camps tears the opposition apart, scoring and setting up goals

Striker anyone?! on 21:43 - Aug 17 with 1377 viewsDaleiLama

Striker anyone?! on 21:34 - Aug 17 by Shun

In response, I would hope that was then, this is now?

We were woeful at scoring last year. Not saying we will be again this year, but we've already got a striker thread and KH has alluded to a profligacy in front of goal versus Posh. At some point, might his hand be forced?

He moved JB to LB and moved Doney up front. He's no stranger to thinking outside the box so how about reinventing the wheel too? Who knows? Part of the fun of following Dale for me. But if would be more fun if we bagged more goals.

Striker anyone?! on 21:51 - Aug 17 with 1360 viewsShun

Striker anyone?! on 21:43 - Aug 17 by DaleiLama

In response, I would hope that was then, this is now?

We were woeful at scoring last year. Not saying we will be again this year, but we've already got a striker thread and KH has alluded to a profligacy in front of goal versus Posh. At some point, might his hand be forced?

He moved JB to LB and moved Doney up front. He's no stranger to thinking outside the box so how about reinventing the wheel too? Who knows? Part of the fun of following Dale for me. But if would be more fun if we bagged more goals.

You’re right that it’s interesting never knowing what surprises Hill is going to spring. I spent a portion of last season half expecting (and half hoping) that Done would appear up front next to Henderson but it never happened. I suppose he does have previous in mixing full-backs and forwards so I live in hope!
Striker anyone?! on 21:54 - Aug 17 with 1356 viewsDaleiLama

Striker anyone?! on 21:51 - Aug 17 by Shun

You’re right that it’s interesting never knowing what surprises Hill is going to spring. I spent a portion of last season half expecting (and half hoping) that Done would appear up front next to Henderson but it never happened. I suppose he does have previous in mixing full-backs and forwards so I live in hope!

Ditto. But I'm guessing it's a "break glass in case of emergency" option in his mind. We have two "big men" and I suspect there'll be at least one on the pitch most of the season.

Striker anyone?! on 08:08 - Aug 18 with 1208 viewsNDGN82

Striker anyone?! on 18:05 - Aug 16 by Shun

Done has never played for a long period in a front two with Hendo. Done was up front/in the middle on his tod and it worked perfectly! Let’s go back to that - Hendo drifting in from the left, Calvin from the right (as he did so effectively on/after the Bolton home game as part of that winning streak at home), and Doney chasing the life out of defenders, putting them under pressure and just being a general nuisance!
Striker anyone?! on 11:23 - Aug 18 with 1079 viewsShun

Striker anyone?! on 08:08 - Aug 18 by NDGN82

Done has never played for a long period in a front two with Hendo. Done was up front/in the middle on his tod and it worked perfectly! Let’s go back to that - Hendo drifting in from the left, Calvin from the right (as he did so effectively on/after the Bolton home game as part of that winning streak at home), and Doney chasing the life out of defenders, putting them under pressure and just being a general nuisance!

He has, in the 14/15 season he was magnificent in a front two with Henderson. It’s the form that got him the move to Sheffield United. It was a masterstroke at the time as we first saw it in an early away match at Crewe - we’d had trouble scoring so far so when we turned out with a front 2 made up of the previous season’s winger (Henderson) and left-back (Done) it seemed a little odd, but it worked as we scored 5 goals, Done getting a hat trick. This was 2 seasons before that brilliant winning streak at home you mention that Oxford finally ended.
Striker anyone?! on 11:47 - Aug 18 with 1053 viewsTVOS1907

Striker anyone?! on 08:08 - Aug 18 by NDGN82

That was nearly two years after Done went to Sheffield United.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Striker anyone?! on 12:27 - Aug 18 with 1012 views442Dale

Striker anyone?! on 11:23 - Aug 18 by Shun

He has, in the 14/15 season he was magnificent in a front two with Henderson. It’s the form that got him the move to Sheffield United. It was a masterstroke at the time as we first saw it in an early away match at Crewe - we’d had trouble scoring so far so when we turned out with a front 2 made up of the previous season’s winger (Henderson) and left-back (Done) it seemed a little odd, but it worked as we scored 5 goals, Done getting a hat trick. This was 2 seasons before that brilliant winning streak at home you mention that Oxford finally ended.

Though they did sometimes revert to a two, it was often a front three. Vincenti on one side, Henderson the other with a midfield three behind.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024