Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Date please ? 11:06 - Sep 5 with 4315 viewsBeechball

Could anyone save me a trip to Touchstones and tell me when exactly Mike Ferguson was sacked in the 1978-79 season ?
Date please ? on 11:42 - Sep 5 with 4257 viewsTVOS1907

I might be able to find it when I get home tonight.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Date please ? on 11:44 - Sep 5 with 4255 viewsBeechball

Cheers TVOS.
Date please ? on 11:55 - Sep 5 with 4227 viewsseasidedale

According to soccerbase november 1st 1978
Date please ? on 00:05 - Sep 8 with 3804 viewsTVOS1907

Apologies, Beechball, for letting this slip down the board.

seaside is right - 1st November 1978. His last game was a 5-1 thrashing at Hartlepool on the previous Saturday.

Date please ? on 11:32 - Sep 8 with 3691 viewsEllDale

Am I right in thinking that he later ran the Royal Oak in the middle of Littleborough?
Date please ? on 11:40 - Sep 8 with 3689 viewsTVOS1907

Date please ? on 11:32 - Sep 8 by EllDale

Am I right in thinking that he later ran the Royal Oak in the middle of Littleborough?

I believe so, but it was before I was allowed to venture in there.

Date please ? on 12:19 - Sep 8 with 3656 viewsDaleiLama

Date please ? on 11:40 - Sep 8 by TVOS1907

I believe so, but it was before I was allowed to venture in there.

Legally anyway ........

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Date please ? on 16:11 - Sep 8 with 3602 viewsBeechball

Date please ? on 00:05 - Sep 8 by TVOS1907

Apologies, Beechball, for letting this slip down the board.

seaside is right - 1st November 1978. His last game was a 5-1 thrashing at Hartlepool on the previous Saturday.

Are you absolutely sure on that ? I've a copy of Shoot ! dated 9th December 1978 which promises a feature on "Managers Allan Clarke ( Barnsley) and Mike Ferguson ( Rochdale )" in the following week's issue. I realise copy deadlines had to be earlier 40 years ago but that still seems a long time for the news to seep though.
Login to get fewer ads

Date please ? on 20:44 - Sep 8 with 3524 viewsTVOS1907

Date please ? on 16:11 - Sep 8 by Beechball

Are you absolutely sure on that ? I've a copy of Shoot ! dated 9th December 1978 which promises a feature on "Managers Allan Clarke ( Barnsley) and Mike Ferguson ( Rochdale )" in the following week's issue. I realise copy deadlines had to be earlier 40 years ago but that still seems a long time for the news to seep though.

No, I'm not absolutely sure, I'm going off what's on the English National Football Archive, which is the 'bible' for this sort of thing.

However, he was still the manager when we played Droylsden in the FA Cup on 25th November (as per the match report in the Ob) and further investigation reveals he was sacked on Friday 1st December, the day before an away game at Doncaster.

Date please ? on 20:50 - Sep 8 with 3520 viewsBeechball

Date please ? on 20:44 - Sep 8 by TVOS1907

No, I'm not absolutely sure, I'm going off what's on the English National Football Archive, which is the 'bible' for this sort of thing.

However, he was still the manager when we played Droylsden in the FA Cup on 25th November (as per the match report in the Ob) and further investigation reveals he was sacked on Friday 1st December, the day before an away game at Doncaster.

That makes much more sense., thanks again TVOS.
Date please ? on 20:53 - Sep 8 with 3513 viewsTVOS1907

Date please ? on 20:50 - Sep 8 by Beechball

No problem. I've emailed ENFA with the match report so they can update their records.

Date please ? on 22:32 - Sep 8 with 3464 viewspioneer

Date please ? on 20:50 - Sep 8 by Beechball

whatever the date, it was three months too late.
Date please ? on 22:36 - Sep 8 with 3454 viewsTVOS1907

Date please ? on 12:19 - Sep 8 by DaleiLama

Legally anyway ........

I wish I could agree with you (or say 'I couldn't possibly comment'), but it really was well before my time.

Date please ? on 10:41 - May 14 with 2839 viewsSaleFosa

Date please ? on 11:42 - Sep 5 by TVOS1907

I might be able to find it when I get home tonight.

Fans of football are happy for the contests. Each of the players of the football and https://www.researchwritingking.com/review-of-papersowl-com/ is fetched for the orientation for the names. The process is vital for the victories for the teams of football.
Date please ? on 17:50 - May 14 with 2600 viewsNigeriamark

Date please ? on 20:44 - Sep 8 by TVOS1907

The Droylsden 1-0 defeat at home is still the worst I have ever felt as a Dale fan ( and there was a lot of competition )& not surprised he was sacked within a week
Date please ? on 18:25 - May 14 with 2567 viewsArthurDaley

Date please ? on 17:50 - May 14 by Nigeriamark

The Droylsden 1-0 defeat at home is still the worst I have ever felt as a Dale fan ( and there was a lot of competition )& not surprised he was sacked within a week

I am with you on this one, absolutely dreadful.

A large VAT Dave

Date please ? on 19:16 - May 14 with 2514 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Date please ? on 17:50 - May 14 by Nigeriamark

Some of their fans were violent scum too, One Dale fan had a dart thrown at him. It was an embarrassing day.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Date please ? on 20:29 - May 14 with 2475 viewspioneer

Date please ? on 19:16 - May 14 by foreverhopefulDale

Some of their fans were violent scum too, One Dale fan had a dart thrown at him. It was an embarrassing day.

WellI I would rather be poked in the eye with a stick than have to go through that game again.
Date please ? on 20:49 - May 14 with 2459 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Date please ? on 20:29 - May 14 by pioneer

WellI I would rather be poked in the eye with a stick than have to go through that game again.

Yes it was bloody awful. At that time we seemed to lose to Non League teams regularly.

Date please ? on 20:53 - May 14 with 2456 viewspioneer

Date please ? on 20:49 - May 14 by foreverhopefulDale

Yes it was bloody awful. At that time we seemed to lose to Non League teams regularly.

We lost to the cones in training, despite manager Ferguson having our scouts watch them.
Date please ? on 20:58 - May 14 with 2447 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Date please ? on 20:53 - May 14 by pioneer

We lost to the cones in training, despite manager Ferguson having our scouts watch them.

He had been a good player for us, and had a very good career. Just shows good players don’t always become good managers. Mind you, he would have had next to no funds to build a team.

Date please ? on 21:16 - May 14 with 2433 viewsdogboy

I remember an article in the Rochdale Observer that he tried to sign a footballer from Akranes who later became a superstar in Italy Simmonson or something like that lucky boy!
Date please ? on 01:12 - May 15 with 2371 viewspioneer

Date please ? on 20:58 - May 14 by foreverhopefulDale

He had been a good player for us, and had a very good career. Just shows good players don’t always become good managers. Mind you, he would have had next to no funds to build a team.

He was nothing more than average as a player with us, and was at the end of his long career.

He was clueless as a manager, all Dale managers are constrained by tight budgets. The good ones still manage to find bargain basement players and build teams that have been better than the sum of their parts.

Sadly Mike just didnt have it as a manager, which probably explains why he didnt emerge in significant positions at other clubs.

He passed away last year.
Date please ? on 13:09 - May 15 with 2266 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Date please ? on 01:12 - May 15 by pioneer

He was nothing more than average as a player with us, and was at the end of his long career.

He was clueless as a manager, all Dale managers are constrained by tight budgets. The good ones still manage to find bargain basement players and build teams that have been better than the sum of their parts.

Sadly Mike just didnt have it as a manager, which probably explains why he didnt emerge in significant positions at other clubs.

He passed away last year.

Yes he was a poor manager, and like you say other managers found good players and moulded decent teams , better than him, with no money. Suppose I was trying to make an excuse for him.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024