Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FAO Col: Keith Hill retrospective 10:01 - Apr 13 with 4267 viewsRespectTheChemistry

I've enjoyed many of your match reports in the past and I'm looking forward to reading your retrospective on Keith. Do you know when you'll be able to post it?
FAO Col: Keith Hill retrospective on 10:47 - Apr 14 with 3833 viewskiwidale

I agree any topic that Col posts is worth a read however a retrospective look at Hill's tenure should wait for after this season ends. It will be interesting to see how many will still see Hill in a positive light rightly so, as equally interesting will be to see how many will defend him now that he has been sacked also IMO rightly so. It might be a fiery debate I guess it will depend whether BBM keeps us up or not but this place is always interesting when it gets fiery I look forward to it.

This is not the time for bickering.

FAO Col: Keith Hill retrospective on 11:39 - Apr 14 with 3750 viewsShun

FAO Col: Keith Hill retrospective on 10:47 - Apr 14 by kiwidale

I agree any topic that Col posts is worth a read however a retrospective look at Hill's tenure should wait for after this season ends. It will be interesting to see how many will still see Hill in a positive light rightly so, as equally interesting will be to see how many will defend him now that he has been sacked also IMO rightly so. It might be a fiery debate I guess it will depend whether BBM keeps us up or not but this place is always interesting when it gets fiery I look forward to it.

I still very much see Hill in a positive light, not as a person (I never have, ever since he declined my offer of a drunken hug very early in his tenure) but as a manager. His final two seasons in no way tarnished the legacy of brilliance he forged in the preceding decade.

As for sacking him, in hindsight I accept that it was the right thing to do as we were only going one way but morally I believe he’d earned the right to relegate us and have another opportunity at taking us back up again next year.
FAO Col: Keith Hill retrospective on 13:21 - Apr 15 with 3187 viewsrochdale_ranger

FAO Col: Keith Hill retrospective on 11:39 - Apr 14 by Shun

I still very much see Hill in a positive light, not as a person (I never have, ever since he declined my offer of a drunken hug very early in his tenure) but as a manager. His final two seasons in no way tarnished the legacy of brilliance he forged in the preceding decade.

As for sacking him, in hindsight I accept that it was the right thing to do as we were only going one way but morally I believe he’d earned the right to relegate us and have another opportunity at taking us back up again next year.

After he left and came back from Barnsley it was very much a case of he is just another manager in my book. Him coming back to Rochdale suited him and us. Ultimately I think Hill sacked himself for getting to big for his boots and slagging off the supporters. He forged an us versus them mentality between himself and the fans. Entirely his own doing.

That said I think he is/was the best manager we have ever had and I was sad to see him go even if it was time. The only thing I disagree with is the “moral right to take us down” bit. I thought it was totally immoral of him to get us believing we are a league one side (which we are and are more then capable of remaining) to throwing the towel in and talking us down and insinuating that we are where we are by fluke and are somehow punching above our weight.
FAO Col: Keith Hill retrospective on 14:34 - Apr 15 with 3094 viewsJames1980

Is it possible Hill thought the positive performances and promotions earlier on in both of his tenures, would see a large increase in spectator numbers? Which would lead to the coffers being swelled making us more competitive in the transfer market and not having to sell our best players.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

FAO Col: Keith Hill retrospective on 19:59 - Apr 15 with 2828 viewsColDale

Might stick something together in the close season
FAO Col: Keith Hill retrospective on 16:21 - Apr 16 with 2357 viewsDaleiLama

FAO Col: Keith Hill retrospective on 11:39 - Apr 14 by Shun

Pretty much in agreement with all of this - is the declined hug why you chose your username btw?
The only bit I am second guessing myself on is if he could have brought us up again? The more you see performances (now) from the likes of Done, Alby, McLoughlin, Callum, Kgosi, even big Jim etc, in front of a stable keeper situation, it does make me wonder if KH had lost the dressing room - maybe he hadn't fully, but there were too many subpar performances from players who are now acquitting themselves much more in line with expectations than under the previous regime. Opinions on this can be debated until the cows come home, as they can neither be proven nor disproven, but on the balance of evidence thus far, I'm erring slightly on the side of the decision made by the Board at present, which is not how I felt when it was made.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

FAO Col: Keith Hill retrospective on 17:28 - Apr 16 with 2256 viewsBigDaveMyCock

FAO Col: Keith Hill retrospective on 19:59 - Apr 15 by ColDale

Might stick something together in the close season

He’ll be fooking back by then.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

FAO Col: Keith Hill retrospective on 17:49 - Apr 16 with 2209 viewsEllDale

A lot of the above comments reflect my sentiments.
I was a Hill man until the end and doubted the wisdom of the timing of his departure.
However....I know that we really do lack quality in certain areas but the individual performances of several players have improved dramatically since the managerial change. And this has led to better results.
Whether or not it was done too late to save Dale from relegation remains to be seen.
I suspect though that if we had had the same manager since say October we would be midtable now.
We certainly wouldn't have had some of the ludicrous selections and the merry-go-round goalkeeper wise which have certainly contributed to us being where we are.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024