Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket tour v SA 12:00 - Dec 18 with 26091 viewsD_Alien

Jimmy Anderson back in action since breaking down in August, and taking a wicket in the first warm-up game

Looking forward to this tour, as the team looks to establish a new sense of purpose in the test arena. Ben Stokes had a great tour last time, and should be feeling in good fettle

Incidentally, batting for the SA XI, Matthew Arnold. I wondered what he'd been up to after writing Dover Beach

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Cricket tour v SA on 12:50 - Jul 9 with 1706 viewsD_Alien

Cricket tour v SA on 12:32 - Jul 9 by isitme

Especially if the weather gets better tomorrow when the Windies bat. I suppose it depends on how much the pitch deteriorates by the last innings.

A completely unknown factor this summer, after barely being played on

I think Stokes called it wrong, but we are where we are and... it's where we always are on day 2 of the first test of a series!

Cricket tour v SA on 14:33 - Jul 9 with 1651 views1997Dale

A decent partnership between these two but Stokes is certainly riding his luck. Pre Covid we almost looked like we were establishing a top 4 so I'm glad to at least see some normality return
Cricket tour v SA on 14:36 - Jul 9 with 1650 viewsAtThePeake

Cricket tour v SA on 14:33 - Jul 9 by 1997Dale

A decent partnership between these two but Stokes is certainly riding his luck. Pre Covid we almost looked like we were establishing a top 4 so I'm glad to at least see some normality return

Got a little lucky but this is turning into a potentially match-turning partnership. Both sides better with the ball, expecting a low-scoring series.

Tangled up in blue.

Cricket tour v SA on 14:43 - Jul 9 with 1640 viewsAtThePeake

Cricket tour v SA on 14:36 - Jul 9 by AtThePeake

Got a little lucky but this is turning into a potentially match-turning partnership. Both sides better with the ball, expecting a low-scoring series.

I'll never learn.

Tangled up in blue.

Cricket tour v SA on 14:46 - Jul 9 with 1635 views1997Dale

Cricket tour v SA on 14:36 - Jul 9 by AtThePeake

The only positive if we do crumble from here is the thought of Jimmy bowling in these conditions, you'd imagine with a duke ball he could prove a challenge
Cricket tour v SA on 14:54 - Jul 9 with 1608 viewsD_Alien

Cricket tour v SA on 14:46 - Jul 9 by 1997Dale

The only positive if we do crumble from here is the thought of Jimmy bowling in these conditions, you'd imagine with a duke ball he could prove a challenge

Likely to be bowling before tea

Cricket tour v SA on 16:09 - Jul 9 with 1549 viewsD_Alien

Cricket tour v SA on 14:54 - Jul 9 by D_Alien

Likely to be bowling before tea

And we should've been

Unless they've changed the rules, and with tea scheduled at 4.10pm today due to yesterday's weather, the England innings was over by 3.50pm and we should've had a good 3 or 4 overs at their openers

I wish they'd stop messing with the rules

[Post edited 9 Jul 2020 16:10]

Cricket tour v SA on 16:24 - Jul 9 with 1529 viewsisitme

Cricket tour v SA on 16:09 - Jul 9 by D_Alien

And we should've been

Unless they've changed the rules, and with tea scheduled at 4.10pm today due to yesterday's weather, the England innings was over by 3.50pm and we should've had a good 3 or 4 overs at their openers

I wish they'd stop messing with the rules

[Post edited 9 Jul 2020 16:10]

This time it actually made sense, especially with the overs to make up from yesterday. Take tea no overs lost, change innings, lose two overs for maybe two overs of play.
Login to get fewer ads

Cricket tour v SA on 16:48 - Jul 9 with 1513 viewsNigeriamark

Cricket tour v SA on 16:24 - Jul 9 by isitme

This time it actually made sense, especially with the overs to make up from yesterday. Take tea no overs lost, change innings, lose two overs for maybe two overs of play.

I got into a pub with Sky 10 minutes ago after a days cycling, saw 8 balls bowled then suspended for bad light!!! Beers good though
Cricket tour v SA on 17:09 - Jul 9 with 1497 viewsD_Alien

Cricket tour v SA on 16:24 - Jul 9 by isitme

...apart from the psychological advantage of making their openers start twice - like ours had to do with the rain breaks

Once you start messing with the psychology of test cricket just for the sake of convenience, the game becomes poorer for it

And with it likely to be a low-scoring* match, there's no need to save time/overs

*by England

Cricket tour v SA on 18:38 - Jul 9 with 1456 viewsfitzochris

The bitty nature of play and England’s abject batting display has killed all the pre-test enthusiasm I had.

As D:Ream (one for the other Fred) once sang: Things can only get better.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Cricket tour v SA on 20:18 - Jul 9 with 1418 viewsfinberty

Strange to see what I thought looked very much like a show of dissent from the umpire (!) when asked for a review of his decision on the third occasion - the first two having been successful reviews.

His body language seemed to say 'you've got to be joking - not again' and the facial expression seemed to indicate irritation.

Very odd.
Cricket tour v SA on 12:38 - Jul 10 with 1335 viewsD_Alien

Building up nicely for a humiliating and deserved defeat

Cricket tour v SA on 16:10 - Jul 11 with 1228 viewsNigeriamark

Cricket tour v SA on 12:38 - Jul 10 by D_Alien

Building up nicely for a humiliating and deserved defeat

Slow going but on a knifes edge at tea. 10 overs to the new ball And 38 until the close of play, so the next session should shape the possible results for tomorrow
Cricket tour v SA on 17:08 - Jul 11 with 1204 viewsD_Alien

Cricket tour v SA on 16:10 - Jul 11 by Nigeriamark

Slow going but on a knifes edge at tea. 10 overs to the new ball And 38 until the close of play, so the next session should shape the possible results for tomorrow

Yes, and as if we needed it, a reminder of the fluctuations that test cricket allows

English fortunes starting to turn. It just annoys me how we always start a test series on the back foot

Crawley staking a claim to the no.3 spot ahead of Denly

Cricket tour v SA on 18:30 - Jul 11 with 1158 viewsfitzochris

Cricket tour v SA on 17:08 - Jul 11 by D_Alien

Yes, and as if we needed it, a reminder of the fluctuations that test cricket allows

English fortunes starting to turn. It just annoys me how we always start a test series on the back foot

Crawley staking a claim to the no.3 spot ahead of Denly

Absolutely, and then Stokes and Crawley build a really good partnership and chuck it.

Buttler does a Buttler and we're back to staring at a likely defeat again.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Cricket tour v SA on 19:20 - Jul 11 with 1128 viewsNigeriamark

Cricket tour v SA on 18:30 - Jul 11 by fitzochris

Absolutely, and then Stokes and Crawley build a really good partnership and chuck it.

Buttler does a Buttler and we're back to staring at a likely defeat again.

Whatever happens it should be a good day tomorrow. Would be good if we can get at least 30 runs. JA will fancy a few wickets

I would say 60/40 in favour of the Windies and 30 runs will even it up
Cricket tour v SA on 21:09 - Jul 11 with 1104 viewsTVOS1907

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Cricket tour v SA on 12:25 - Jul 12 with 1041 viewsD_Alien

Whatever happens, it's great test cricket

Archer decides to come to the party today

Cricket tour v SA on 13:07 - Jul 12 with 1009 viewsisitme

Cricket tour v SA on 12:25 - Jul 12 by D_Alien

Whatever happens, it's great test cricket

Archer decides to come to the party today

Interesting first session. 3 down and Campbell with a potential broken toe. Whatever happens I think Root will replace Denly for the next test and Buttler is living on borrowed time.
Cricket tour v SA on 18:02 - Jul 12 with 941 viewsD_Alien

Well done, West Indies, thoroughly deserved victory

Showed discipline where we didn't, and they have an outstanding captain. It'll take something special by England now to win the series, and can't see that happening, but great to have cricket to watch

Cricket tour v SA on 18:06 - Jul 12 with 931 viewsisitme

Cricket tour v SA on 18:02 - Jul 12 by D_Alien

Well done, West Indies, thoroughly deserved victory

Showed discipline where we didn't, and they have an outstanding captain. It'll take something special by England now to win the series, and can't see that happening, but great to have cricket to watch

To collapse from 248-3 from yesterday really cost us the chance of saving the game after a poor first innings with the bat. Blackwood batted really well to see the Windies home, after they were in a bit of a sticky situation.
Cricket tour v SA on 19:38 - Jul 12 with 877 viewsNigeriamark

Cricket tour v SA on 18:06 - Jul 12 by isitme

To collapse from 248-3 from yesterday really cost us the chance of saving the game after a poor first innings with the bat. Blackwood batted really well to see the Windies home, after they were in a bit of a sticky situation.

The media may talk about dropping Broad being a mistake, but as you point out 204 in the first innings and a 5 wicket collapse yesterday is the reason we lost

Well done Windies and it sets up the next test nicely
Cricket tour v SA on 19:47 - Jul 12 with 875 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Cricket tour v SA on 18:06 - Jul 12 by isitme

Thought the Windies were fantastic today, although I did back them at 4/1 and 8/1 (at 27/3).

It was always a case of a new ball wicket last day and thought Blackwood was superb.

Credit must go to Holder who must be the best number 7 playing currently. He should be at least 6 imho.

Well played WI and cheers for the £800 profit 👍

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Cricket tour v SA on 17:23 - Jul 15 with 738 viewsisitme

Root back and Denly out was pretty obvious. Anderson and Wood rested makes sense with Woakes and Broad likely to come in. There are a lot of games in a short space of time and their recent fitness records are not that great. Curran or Robinson would be an interesting selection ahead of either Woakes or Broad, but I suspect they will be the ones to be left out.

Buttler needs a score in these next two games or else Foakes must surely come in for the Pakistan tests.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024