Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket tour v SA 12:00 - Dec 18 with 26075 viewsD_Alien

Jimmy Anderson back in action since breaking down in August, and taking a wicket in the first warm-up game

Looking forward to this tour, as the team looks to establish a new sense of purpose in the test arena. Ben Stokes had a great tour last time, and should be feeling in good fettle

Incidentally, batting for the SA XI, Matthew Arnold. I wondered what he'd been up to after writing Dover Beach

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Cricket tour v SA on 18:46 - Jul 15 with 1532 viewsD_Alien

Cricket tour v SA on 17:23 - Jul 15 by isitme

Root back and Denly out was pretty obvious. Anderson and Wood rested makes sense with Woakes and Broad likely to come in. There are a lot of games in a short space of time and their recent fitness records are not that great. Curran or Robinson would be an interesting selection ahead of either Woakes or Broad, but I suspect they will be the ones to be left out.

Buttler needs a score in these next two games or else Foakes must surely come in for the Pakistan tests.

I'd like to see Curran picked ahead of Woakes. He offers something different to the other pacers, and has the ability to "make things happen" when the bowling looks to be going flat

Cricket tour v SA on 18:54 - Jul 15 with 1524 viewsisitme

Cricket tour v SA on 18:46 - Jul 15 by D_Alien

I'd like to see Curran picked ahead of Woakes. He offers something different to the other pacers, and has the ability to "make things happen" when the bowling looks to be going flat

That's a good point. He is also a good batter lower down the order. You never know they might play Woakes, Curran and Broad?
Cricket tour v SA on 18:59 - Jul 15 with 1508 viewsD_Alien

Cricket tour v SA on 18:54 - Jul 15 by isitme

That's a good point. He is also a good batter lower down the order. You never know they might play Woakes, Curran and Broad?

What i'm hoping to see is a move towards younger players such as Curran rather than the old guard, for when the old guard start to finally wane. In that respect, Archer has youth on his side, but might be rested at some point during the forthcoming tests

Cricket tour v SA on 10:55 - Jul 16 with 1440 viewsChaffRAFC

Cricket tour v SA on 18:59 - Jul 15 by D_Alien

What i'm hoping to see is a move towards younger players such as Curran rather than the old guard, for when the old guard start to finally wane. In that respect, Archer has youth on his side, but might be rested at some point during the forthcoming tests

Archer may have youth on his side but evidently not brains. What a stupid and foolish thing to do and now we lose him for the second test.

This may lead to Broad coming back I suspect but I'm also hoping for Ollie Robinson to get a chance.

Raining in Manchester as always though.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Cricket tour v SA on 11:02 - Jul 16 with 1429 viewsD_Alien

Cricket tour v SA on 10:55 - Jul 16 by ChaffRAFC

Archer may have youth on his side but evidently not brains. What a stupid and foolish thing to do and now we lose him for the second test.

This may lead to Broad coming back I suspect but I'm also hoping for Ollie Robinson to get a chance.

Raining in Manchester as always though.

It's almost as if he did it to absent himself from this game, knowing the consequences of his actions

After a great start to his test career last year, he's beginning to look a bit flaky - an "i'll perform when i'm in the mood" type of bowler

Am i being unfair? Maybe, but he's still got a lot to prove imo and if those coming in perform well in this test he shouldn't be automatically brought back in for the third

[Post edited 16 Jul 2020 11:04]

Cricket tour v SA on 11:30 - Jul 16 with 1406 viewsisitme

Cricket tour v SA on 11:02 - Jul 16 by D_Alien

It's almost as if he did it to absent himself from this game, knowing the consequences of his actions

After a great start to his test career last year, he's beginning to look a bit flaky - an "i'll perform when i'm in the mood" type of bowler

Am i being unfair? Maybe, but he's still got a lot to prove imo and if those coming in perform well in this test he shouldn't be automatically brought back in for the third

Looks like it will be Woakes, Broad and Curran after all!
Cricket tour v SA on 13:05 - Jul 16 with 1371 viewsTVOS1907

Cricket tour v SA on 11:02 - Jul 16 by D_Alien

No, I think you're being very fair.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Cricket tour v SA on 13:11 - Jul 16 with 1360 viewsD_Alien

Cricket tour v SA on 13:05 - Jul 16 by TVOS1907

No, I think you're being very fair.

Damn!

Login to get fewer ads

Cricket tour v SA on 13:19 - Jul 16 with 1343 viewsisitme

It's good to see Bumble back and that there is still a place for old white men on TV, unless you are Andrew Neil!
[Post edited 16 Jul 2020 13:24]
Cricket tour v SA on 13:26 - Jul 16 with 1333 viewsD_Alien

Cricket tour v SA on 13:19 - Jul 16 by isitme

It's good to see Bumble back and that there is still a place for old white men on TV, unless you are Andrew Neil!
[Post edited 16 Jul 2020 13:24]

It would appear he's been hit where it hurts... on the box

Cricket tour v SA on 19:33 - Jul 16 with 1275 viewsisitme

A really turgid day on what is a difficult pitch and a really slow outfield. England have set a really good platform. It will be interesting to see how the Windies seamers come back tomorrow. Gabriel did not look great after spending time off the field with his hamstring.
Cricket tour v SA on 17:21 - Jul 17 with 1190 viewsChaffRAFC

Superb today from Stokes and Sibley, put England in a very good position with rain forecast for tomorrow.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Cricket tour v SA on 17:30 - Jul 17 with 1186 viewsisitme

Cricket tour v SA on 17:21 - Jul 17 by ChaffRAFC

Superb today from Stokes and Sibley, put England in a very good position with rain forecast for tomorrow.

Not long left batting now. Would three Windies wickets before the close be greedy? Sibley and Stokes batted really well on a pitch that is by no means flat.
Cricket tour v SA on 18:02 - Jul 17 with 1169 viewsfitzochris

Slightly peeved at the online decrying of Sibley as being boring and not a good advert for Test cricket. He was the perfect advert. A forbearing opener, who values his wicket rather than rashly chucking it, is what we’ve desperately needed and that gave us the platform to become more expressive later on and post a great score. Stokes, as always, was magnificent too. Nods to Buttler and Bess also.

More than 150 overs in the field for the Windies will now be to our advantage too. They’ll be knackered.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Cricket tour v SA on 18:45 - Jul 17 with 1134 viewsD_Alien

Cricket tour v SA on 18:46 - Jul 15 by D_Alien

Ahem!

Cricket tour v SA on 20:30 - Jul 17 with 1093 viewsisitme

Cricket tour v SA on 18:45 - Jul 17 by D_Alien

Ahem!

Should have had two.
Cricket tour v SA on 20:36 - Jul 17 with 1088 viewsNigeriamark

Cricket tour v SA on 20:30 - Jul 17 by isitme

Should have had two.

Good Day for England and almost ensures at least a draw. Windies may have got some confidence if they had seen the day out without a wicket & now it's up to us to get them out for 300 or less. Hopefully the weather will hold up ( I think it may be iffy in the morning)
Cricket tour v SA on 10:39 - Jul 18 with 1038 viewsNigeriamark

Cricket tour v SA on 20:36 - Jul 17 by Nigeriamark

Good Day for England and almost ensures at least a draw. Windies may have got some confidence if they had seen the day out without a wicket & now it's up to us to get them out for 300 or less. Hopefully the weather will hold up ( I think it may be iffy in the morning)

Thats' the second time( now 3rd!!) I've mentioned the weather & it's then tipped it down. Won't do it again
Cricket tour v SA on 16:14 - Jul 18 with 1000 viewsD_Alien

Inevitably, played abandoned for the day

Final two days set fair though; much will depend on early breakthroughs tomorrow

Cricket tour v SA on 18:19 - Jul 19 with 913 viewsisitme

Cricket tour v SA on 16:14 - Jul 18 by D_Alien

Inevitably, played abandoned for the day

Final two days set fair though; much will depend on early breakthroughs tomorrow

With 98 overs tomorrow how many overs and runs should England look to set the Windies? Bat the rest of tonight and an hour tomorrow? 280 ish in 83 overs or there about?
[Post edited 19 Jul 2020 19:17]
Cricket tour v SA on 19:45 - Jul 19 with 868 viewsNigeriamark

Cricket tour v SA on 18:19 - Jul 19 by isitme

With 98 overs tomorrow how many overs and runs should England look to set the Windies? Bat the rest of tonight and an hour tomorrow? 280 ish in 83 overs or there about?
[Post edited 19 Jul 2020 19:17]

Yep, I reckon a 12 over or so whack & hope for 80 overs + 6 more with a new ball. However I think whoever might lose will slow the over rate down so may not get in the 98 ( you lose 2 for a change of innings unless it is a lunch or tea break)
Cricket tour v SA on 12:00 - Jul 20 with 797 viewsD_Alien

Cricket tour v SA on 19:45 - Jul 19 by Nigeriamark

Yep, I reckon a 12 over or so whack & hope for 80 overs + 6 more with a new ball. However I think whoever might lose will slow the over rate down so may not get in the 98 ( you lose 2 for a change of innings unless it is a lunch or tea break)

312 off 85 overs (3.67po)

Bit of moisture around...

Cricket tour v SA on 14:24 - Jul 20 with 746 viewsNigeriamark

Cricket tour v SA on 12:00 - Jul 20 by D_Alien

312 off 85 overs (3.67po)

Bit of moisture around...

Couldn't have asked for a better first session than that. Need to get 3 or more in the next session to leave us close to the tail with plenty of time
Cricket tour v SA on 15:57 - Jul 20 with 718 viewsD_Alien

Cricket tour v SA on 14:24 - Jul 20 by Nigeriamark

Couldn't have asked for a better first session than that. Need to get 3 or more in the next session to leave us close to the tail with plenty of time

Once again, Stokes to the rescue

The WI pair had just put on 100 and might even have started to harbour thoughts of a push for victory... and just after Stokes had fielded a ball on the boundary off his own bowling!

Cricket tour v SA on 16:11 - Jul 20 with 702 viewsisitme

Cricket tour v SA on 15:57 - Jul 20 by D_Alien

Once again, Stokes to the rescue

The WI pair had just put on 100 and might even have started to harbour thoughts of a push for victory... and just after Stokes had fielded a ball on the boundary off his own bowling!

They batted really well, although Blackwood was looking uncomfortable against the short ball. Get Broad back on and hopefully clean up. It's going to be an interesting next 42 overs.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2020 16:11]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024