Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alan Taylor 13:51 - Jul 5 with 4210 viewsHuddersdale1

I watched the Big Match Revisited on ITV Hub this morning, which took in games from 5 February 1977. The main match was Arsenal v West Ham. Ended 3-2 to the Hammers, which included two goals from ex Dale forward Alan Taylor. He, of course, also got a brace in the 74/5(?) final v Fulham. Funny thing is, I actually went to that Arsenal/West Ham match as I was staying down in London for a few days with a fellow Dale fan, I contacted him this morning and both of us can remember the game and the result, but had forgotten that Taylor had scored. We had previously seen him play in that disastrous season when we won only two games. Quite a step up for Taylor, but he seemed to make the transition to the top flight with ease.
Alan Taylor on 18:22 - Jul 5 with 3071 viewsdogboy

Yes he came to us from Morecambe and played 73-74 remember his debut he looked like a small greyhound but boy could he run with the ball. Exciting footballer from the onset in a disaster of a season. Walter Joyce was the manager had ideas and it did not work such a shame as he had loads of potential. This was my first season that I bought a season ticket and wins against Hartlepool (LC) South Shields (FAC) and Shrewsbury was the sum total of the season.....to make matters worse I missed the Cambridge game at Spotland and my Dad said that he counted 150 fans so the 320 must have included players officials players and dog walkers
Alan Taylor on 20:22 - Jul 5 with 2964 viewsD_Alien

The thing about Taylor was that we played him mainly as a midfield ball-carrier, at which he was useful but never in a million years would you imagine him as the goalscoring trophy winner he became at West Ham

I think he scored once for us, and that from the penalty spot

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Alan Taylor on 20:50 - Jul 5 with 2921 viewsTVOS1907

Alan Taylor on 20:22 - Jul 5 by D_Alien

The thing about Taylor was that we played him mainly as a midfield ball-carrier, at which he was useful but never in a million years would you imagine him as the goalscoring trophy winner he became at West Ham

I think he scored once for us, and that from the penalty spot

10 goals in 61 appearances...

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Alan Taylor on 20:52 - Jul 5 with 2923 viewspioneer

I think he got a brace of goals in the semi final and QF too never done before or since.

He scored in two of our 4 wins that season. The Hartlepool league cup game and the Southend away win. Also scored in the disastrous 5-3 embarrassing loss at home to Grantham in the cup.

However he was red hot the following season scoring 8 goals in 17 games before West Ham snapped him up and by the end of that season he was an FACup winner.

He was left out of the team for Dales first round cup tie with Marine because he had a dose of ‘flu’.
If he hadn’t been he would have been cup tied.
Alan Taylor on 21:05 - Jul 5 with 2896 viewsD_Alien

Alan Taylor on 20:50 - Jul 5 by TVOS1907

10 goals in 61 appearances...

Bloody hell, did he? Tbf, i stopped watching Dale once i was a student, both for distance and financial reasons

So I'll amend it - i only saw him score once

Alan Taylor on 08:14 - Jul 6 with 2764 viewsrod_leach

I seem to remember him missing a penalty by miles in front of the Sandy, not long before he left. It was, of course, a long time ago and I was a lad but my memory is that the ball ended up closer to the corner flag than the goal
Alan Taylor on 11:32 - Jul 7 with 2469 viewspioneer

Alan Taylor on 08:14 - Jul 6 by rod_leach

I seem to remember him missing a penalty by miles in front of the Sandy, not long before he left. It was, of course, a long time ago and I was a lad but my memory is that the ball ended up closer to the corner flag than the goal

The only penalty miss i can find for him at Spotland was v Watford on 10 November 1973.

Dale were 1-0 down in the second half andhe was given the responsibility at 19 years old despite more experienced players like Bobby Downes and Keith Bebbington being in the team.

He missed, badly and Watford went on to win 3-1.

It was his 20th birthday 4 days later.
Alan Taylor on 11:54 - Jul 7 with 2456 viewsTVOS1907

Alan Taylor on 11:32 - Jul 7 by pioneer

The only penalty miss i can find for him at Spotland was v Watford on 10 November 1973.

Dale were 1-0 down in the second half andhe was given the responsibility at 19 years old despite more experienced players like Bobby Downes and Keith Bebbington being in the team.

He missed, badly and Watford went on to win 3-1.

It was his 20th birthday 4 days later.

Have you got records of missed penalties?

If so, I'd love to borrow them.

Ta.

Undoubted knowledge? Or just the application of common sense and using my brain?

Login to get fewer ads

Alan Taylor on 12:06 - Jul 7 with 2442 viewsD_Alien

Alan Taylor on 11:54 - Jul 7 by TVOS1907

Ta.

Whilst we're on the subject, and further to my earlier post, could you do me a favour and check in your records for when he scored his first goal for Dale? I'm convinced it was a penalty (scored in the Sandy Lane end) and came after quite a number of appearances, because i recall having a conversation with my mates about it at the time, along the lines of "about bloody time, as well"

If that isn't right, i'm going to try some diy trepanning with a rusty chisel

Just to add, i've already searched online for records of that season, without luck

[Post edited 7 Jul 2020 12:07]

Alan Taylor on 12:08 - Jul 7 with 2434 viewsjudd

Alan Taylor on 12:06 - Jul 7 by D_Alien

Whilst we're on the subject, and further to my earlier post, could you do me a favour and check in your records for when he scored his first goal for Dale? I'm convinced it was a penalty (scored in the Sandy Lane end) and came after quite a number of appearances, because i recall having a conversation with my mates about it at the time, along the lines of "about bloody time, as well"

Just to add, i've already searched online for records of that season, without luck

Might be better off with McFly's new album.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Alan Taylor on 12:27 - Jul 7 with 2399 viewsTVOS1907

29th August 1973 v Hartlepool (h), League Cup.

It wasn't a penalty. It was his second game for the club.

His second goal was a penalty... in a 2-1 win at Southend on 29/9/73.

He never scored a penalty at home.

Now, where's your chisel?

Alan Taylor on 12:30 - Jul 7 with 2398 viewsBuckTheTrend

He scored Dale's 4th in a 5-3 League Cup home win over Hartlepool (29/8/73).
His only League goal that season was a penalty away at Southend United (29/9/73).
He also scored Dale's first in the debacle that was the 3-5 home defeat by Grantham in the FA Cup 2nd round replay (18/12/73).
I was "privileged" to see both home goals !!
Alan Taylor on 12:37 - Jul 7 with 2390 viewsD_Alien

Alan Taylor on 12:30 - Jul 7 by BuckTheTrend

He scored Dale's 4th in a 5-3 League Cup home win over Hartlepool (29/8/73).
His only League goal that season was a penalty away at Southend United (29/9/73).
He also scored Dale's first in the debacle that was the 3-5 home defeat by Grantham in the FA Cup 2nd round replay (18/12/73).
I was "privileged" to see both home goals !!

Ah, thanks for that info (plus you've saved TVOS the trouble)

I've got the new McFly album on order, and i'll trepan myself through the hole in the middle

What on earth goes on with memory, eh?

Alan Taylor on 12:44 - Jul 7 with 2376 viewsD_Alien

Alan Taylor on 12:27 - Jul 7 by TVOS1907

29th August 1973 v Hartlepool (h), League Cup.

It wasn't a penalty. It was his second game for the club.

His second goal was a penalty... in a 2-1 win at Southend on 29/9/73.

He never scored a penalty at home.

Now, where's your chisel?

Only just seen this!

Thanks both, for confirming i've finally entered the wonderful world of senility

Edit: i fully intend to enjoy it

[Post edited 7 Jul 2020 12:45]

Alan Taylor on 12:51 - Jul 7 with 2365 viewsjudd

Alan Taylor on 12:44 - Jul 7 by D_Alien

Only just seen this!

Thanks both, for confirming i've finally entered the wonderful world of senility

Edit: i fully intend to enjoy it

[Post edited 7 Jul 2020 12:45]

You wanna get the new McFly album

Alan Taylor on 12:52 - Jul 7 with 2361 viewsD_Alien

Alan Taylor on 12:51 - Jul 7 by judd

You wanna get the new McFly album

If i've remembered to order it

I don't want two

Or seven

Alan Taylor on 12:58 - Jul 7 with 2347 viewstony_roch975

Alan Taylor on 12:52 - Jul 7 by D_Alien

If i've remembered to order it

I don't want two

Or seven

if you get a moment you might want to get the new McFly album.....

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Alan Taylor on 12:59 - Jul 7 with 2340 viewsD_Alien

Alan Taylor on 12:58 - Jul 7 by tony_roch975

if you get a moment you might want to get the new McFly album.....

Never heard of them, are they any good?

Alan Taylor on 13:01 - Jul 7 with 2331 viewsjudd

Alan Taylor on 12:59 - Jul 7 by D_Alien

Never heard of them, are they any good?

Alan Taylor missed a penalty for them

Alan Taylor on 17:32 - Jul 7 with 2248 viewsmingthemerciless

I remember somebody ( Laurie Calloway ? ) missing a pen at the Church Inn end in the mid 1960's. Something keeps telling me the ball went over the stand and landed on the Church Inn bowling green. That can't be right surely ?

It couldn't have been Big Reg or Stan Milburn who were regular penalty takers then but it was in that era.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2020 17:34]
Alan Taylor on 20:22 - Jul 7 with 2176 viewspioneer

Alan Taylor on 11:54 - Jul 7 by TVOS1907

Ta.

Not in the form of a database...Im too old for that sort of stuff. But from mid sixties to late 90s I have match reports from observer and in some cases other papers cuttings which I inserted into each match programme ( yes...anorak as they come).

So I can look up match reports for any games over that period. Happy to help with specific enquiries providing I am given sufficient notice. In normal times I travel a lot with my work so dont always have easy access and response times might be slow....if we ever get back to normal.

I have moved with my work several times eachtime having benefited from having removal costs paid by my employer. When I show them my collections the first reaction is “ You mean to tell me you paid to have this crap moved here”. My response is always “No, you did”. Probably explains why I have moved jobs frequently!

Over the last few months I have enjoyed goingback through my collection looking at some seasons....dont ever believe anyone who tells you “nostalgia aint what it used to be”!
Even the 1973-4 season was interesting, although just as painful as in real time.
Alan Taylor on 20:39 - Jul 7 with 2163 viewspioneer

I dont think your memory is failing....in 73-4 the only league goal he scored was that penalty 200 miles away from Spotland. There were no coaches to that game so I didnt get to it. His first goal at home in a league match was the first game of the following season. So it was a very long time!

I have vague recollections of similar emotions about him......given his youthfulness, and he looked about 5 years younger than he was....the phrase ‘he couldnt score in a brothel’ seemed to fit his early record vey well. How he turned it around in his second season though. And the players he had around him were not that different. The reports of home games often mentioned the main stand (which was the only seated area at the ground and held about 500) was packed with first division managers and scouts watching him and goalkeeper Mike Poole. At one game the report has a photo showing reps from 17 division 1 (ie premiership) clubs. Given our attendences slumped below 1000 for some games that season its a shame they werent paying!
Alan Taylor on 08:49 - Jul 8 with 2093 viewsTVOS1907

Alan Taylor on 20:22 - Jul 7 by pioneer

Not in the form of a database...Im too old for that sort of stuff. But from mid sixties to late 90s I have match reports from observer and in some cases other papers cuttings which I inserted into each match programme ( yes...anorak as they come).

So I can look up match reports for any games over that period. Happy to help with specific enquiries providing I am given sufficient notice. In normal times I travel a lot with my work so dont always have easy access and response times might be slow....if we ever get back to normal.

I have moved with my work several times eachtime having benefited from having removal costs paid by my employer. When I show them my collections the first reaction is “ You mean to tell me you paid to have this crap moved here”. My response is always “No, you did”. Probably explains why I have moved jobs frequently!

Over the last few months I have enjoyed goingback through my collection looking at some seasons....dont ever believe anyone who tells you “nostalgia aint what it used to be”!
Even the 1973-4 season was interesting, although just as painful as in real time.

Thanks for that.

I'm not too old for a database, but it's one that's constantly evolving, so I've got details of missed penalties that I've seen and can remember, as well as those I've read about.

Like you I've got hundreds (probably thousands) of match reports and cuttings, most of them in good condition or as clear photographs, but others as images I can't read properly because I had my camera on the wrong setting when I took them at the old Observer offices!

The British Newspaper Archive is also a good resource, although that's a subscription website.

Alan Taylor on 08:58 - Jul 8 with 2084 viewspioneer

Alan Taylor on 08:49 - Jul 8 by TVOS1907

Thanks for that.

I'm not too old for a database, but it's one that's constantly evolving, so I've got details of missed penalties that I've seen and can remember, as well as those I've read about.

Like you I've got hundreds (probably thousands) of match reports and cuttings, most of them in good condition or as clear photographs, but others as images I can't read properly because I had my camera on the wrong setting when I took them at the old Observer offices!

The British Newspaper Archive is also a good resource, although that's a subscription website.

I used to sit in the old library opposite broadfield park taking down line ups and scores from observers from early 1900s. For some years they had them on microfiche.

The things you had time to do as a student!
Alan Taylor on 09:57 - Jul 8 with 2063 viewsTVOS1907

Alan Taylor on 08:58 - Jul 8 by pioneer

I used to sit in the old library opposite broadfield park taking down line ups and scores from observers from early 1900s. For some years they had them on microfiche.

The things you had time to do as a student!

Aye, I've been there many times, but obviously it hasn't been open for a while.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024