Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dale Nostalgia 14:42 - Jun 1 with 2410 viewsjonahwhereru

My father passed away recently and I was sorting through his stuff this weekend. I came across a letter from his uncle, I would imagine from the mid to late 50’s. In it he refers to two Dale players, Glover and Gemmill being in the tap room of the Bridge Inn in Castleton, playing crib with him. It suggested one may have been a centre half and the other a forward.
Before my time but I wondered if anyone has any recollects of these two?
Dale Nostalgia on 15:00 - Jun 1 with 2358 viewsSuddenLad

Bev Glover would certainly be one of them. Eric Gemmell the other.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/rochdale/tab/players/season/1955/

This was the 1955 squad, and Glover and Gemmell were amongst them
[Post edited 1 Jun 2021 15:08]

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Dale Nostalgia on 05:40 - Jun 2 with 2049 viewsDiddyDave

1955/56 was my first season of watching Dale. I can clearly recall Billy McCullough, Frank Murchison, Frank Lord, Arnold Kendall, Brian Green, Bev Glover Eric Gemmell and Jimmy Anders. Anders had a brother, Harry who also played for Dale, but I`m a bit confused with the two goalkeepers on that list as I`m sure Jimmy Jones was the `keeper then. I can clearly recall Dale`s keeper (Jones?) sat on his backside as the York City player went around him to slot the only goal of the game in the first round of the Cup at Spotland.
Billy McCullough, a tough Scot later got polio and passed away. By that time he`d gone to Stockport and I remember throwing a tanner into a collection box for him in a Stockport/Dale game about 1958.
Dale Nostalgia on 08:43 - Jun 2 with 1917 viewspioneer

Sat next to Harry Boyle at a football supporters function at the old Maine Road social club back in the 70s. He had some great stories just as well social media wasnt around in those days.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024