Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fixture planning 17:37 - Jul 26 with 4756 viewsmodelboydave

I have this afternoon been busy booking up train tickets and planning my away matches for the first part of the season. I could not help noticing how many are far away from Rochdale often on a Tuesday evening. It got me thinking.

1. What is Dale’s lowest ever competitive post war away attendance?
2. What is the lowest number of Dale fans at a competitive away game post war?

Looking at some of the fixtures I would think both of the above records have a fair chance of being broken over the next 9 months. Woking, Borehamwood, Dorking, etc etc

Poll: Attention man united fans - who do you want to win the premier league?

Fixture planning on 17:44 - Jul 26 with 4726 viewsSuddenLad

Coach to Woking taking bookings soon. Me and 3 others will be going for that.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Fixture planning on 17:53 - Jul 26 with 4695 viewssurb_dale

Seem to recall there was a midweek away at Swansea a while back where there were 40 odd hardy souls.

This season there are a number of distant grounds from Rochdale but most are within easy reach of London where a large number of the southern exiles are based. Also many are new grounds to tick off so expect away numbers wont be small enough to trouble the record books this season. I'm certainly looking forward to trips to Woking, Dorking, Bromley etc.
Fixture planning on 18:02 - Jul 26 with 4666 viewsTVOS1907

Dorking is on a Saturday, Dave.

There's only Woking, Boreham Wood and Solihull all season (so far) that could be considered 'long' midweek trips.

Away followings didn't start being recorded until 1997/98, so it's impossible to know exact figures from before then, although the likes of SuddenLad might be able to fill in some numbers from places like Torquay back in the day.

The answer to Q1 is 941 at Workington in March 1976.

The answer to Q2 (since 1997/98) is 45 at Swansea in March 2004.

And if I were you, I wouldn't be booking any trains, as fixtures can easily get switched for TV coverage.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Fixture planning on 19:06 - Jul 26 with 4559 viewsmodelboydave

Fixture planning on 18:02 - Jul 26 by TVOS1907

There's only Woking, Boreham Wood and Solihull all season (so far) that could be considered 'long' midweek trips.

Away followings didn't start being recorded until 1997/98, so it's impossible to know exact figures from before then, although the likes of SuddenLad might be able to fill in some numbers from places like Torquay back in the day.

And if I were you, I wouldn't be booking any trains, as fixtures can easily get switched for TV coverage.

Thanks Guys,

Do we know how long before a game they have to give notice if its likely to be moved for TV? I have booked train tickets to Kiddie, Dorking, York already. Woking and Borehamwood i will drive straight from work.

Ref Q1 and 941 - This could be broken straight away at Oxford City, although annoyingly i cant do that one. Only two attendances over 800 last year.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/oxford-city/attendances/2022-2023

I do remember the Swansea game now, the Observer did an article about it as i imagine would have TVOS!

Fixture planning on 19:51 - Jul 26 with 4446 viewspioneer

Fixture planning on 18:02 - Jul 26 by TVOS1907

In the days before segregation and official away support records there were some absolute stinkers.

Two come to mind….midweek game at end of 1976-77 season at Swansea and Friday night game at Southend at end of 1977-78 season. I recall the supporters club ran a hire car to these!

Both losses and the Southend game confirmed we were to finish bottom, even though we had 3 home games left. The crowds for those home games where 700, 700 and 900 (rounded).

Yet we got re elected ahead of Southport who were voted out.
Fixture planning on 20:02 - Jul 26 with 4432 viewsmodelboydave

I’m actually looking forward to this season now. May I recommend an excellent book on Luton’s first season in none league, a diary of what we can expect

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Luton-Town-Journey-Football-Histories-ebook/dp/B006PNKP

Ok we all know the negatives, but lots of new grounds to visit, cheaper prices, you never know we might actually start to enjoy going to games again.

Fixture planning on 20:10 - Jul 26 with 4420 viewsfermin

Fixture planning on 19:06 - Jul 26 by modelboydave

Thanks Guys,

Do we know how long before a game they have to give notice if its likely to be moved for TV? I have booked train tickets to Kiddie, Dorking, York already. Woking and Borehamwood i will drive straight from work.

Ref Q1 and 941 - This could be broken straight away at Oxford City, although annoyingly i cant do that one. Only two attendances over 800 last year.

I do remember the Swansea game now, the Observer did an article about it as i imagine would have TVOS!

Oxford City is my local team and I have watched them quite a bit over the last 20+ years but not so much since Covid. I would be surprised if they got less than 1000 for this game. At the play-off games the away sides got about 500 in anticipation of sell-outs, so it will partly depend on how many of us go. I have heard unconfirmed reports that they are installing temporary seats to increase the away seating allocation which would currently be very limited. Given that this is their first home game at this level I expect a lot of local interest. However, Oxford United are also at home so that will limit the floating fans attending - the two clubs have a good relationship so there is no real rivalry, though some City fans like to point out that City is the original Oxford club.

Regarding the Swansea game I am sure there were lots of games before 1997/8 which were lower than that without being recorded. I remember going to a game away at Southend on a Friday night in about 1986 and standing on the big terrace behind the goal at the opposite end to the current away end. I do not remember there being any segregation even but I found a few Dale fans to stand with. We lost 5-0 from memory. My memory of the away games down south around that time was that double digits would have been fairly typical, though I did not go to a huge number of games really.
Fixture planning on 20:39 - Jul 26 with 4362 viewsTVOS1907

Thanks Guys,

All TV games up to the end of September have already been sorted, so you're OK for now.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

Fixture planning on 10:13 - Jul 27 with 4168 viewsmodelboydave

Fixture planning on 20:39 - Jul 26 by TVOS1907

All TV games up to the end of September have already been sorted, so you're OK for now.

good. Now we just have to worry about the train strikes. Twice last year i had train tickets for Dale Games, and had to have them re-funded.

Fixture planning on 10:32 - Jul 27 with 4140 viewsSuddenLad

Fixture planning on 20:10 - Jul 26 by fermin

Oxford City is my local team and I have watched them quite a bit over the last 20+ years but not so much since Covid. I would be surprised if they got less than 1000 for this game. At the play-off games the away sides got about 500 in anticipation of sell-outs, so it will partly depend on how many of us go. I have heard unconfirmed reports that they are installing temporary seats to increase the away seating allocation which would currently be very limited. Given that this is their first home game at this level I expect a lot of local interest. However, Oxford United are also at home so that will limit the floating fans attending - the two clubs have a good relationship so there is no real rivalry, though some City fans like to point out that City is the original Oxford club.

Regarding the Swansea game I am sure there were lots of games before 1997/8 which were lower than that without being recorded. I remember going to a game away at Southend on a Friday night in about 1986 and standing on the big terrace behind the goal at the opposite end to the current away end. I do not remember there being any segregation even but I found a few Dale fans to stand with. We lost 5-0 from memory. My memory of the away games down south around that time was that double digits would have been fairly typical, though I did not go to a huge number of games really.

I remember the Southend game. I seem to remember that Barry Silkman scored twice. It was one of those occasions that we couldn't raise enough interest for a coach, so about 10 supporters travelled on the team coach. 5-0 drubbing,

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Fixture planning on 10:50 - Jul 27 with 4117 viewsDorkingDale

The infamous Orient mid-week hammering in torrential rain October 1987 - a couple of days before the hurricane. I don't remember too many miserable drowned rats......
Fixture planning on 12:47 - Jul 27 with 4021 viewsYadHoDale

What is the definition of an "away fan"?

All being well, I'm planning to go to Oxford City v Dale with a friend who lives near Oxford. He occasionally goes and watches Oxford City, but is really a Birmingham fan, who also likes Notts County (watched them in preference to the Florists when he lived there for a few years). We'll probably just go and pay on the day, and go in whichever bit of the ground is most suitable on the day.

So if we go in the "home end" the statisticians will need to add on 1 to the number of Rochdale fans, if we go in the away end they'll need to subtract 1!

Fixture planning on 17:21 - Jul 27 with 3855 viewsSandyman

Thanks Guys,

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/take-a-bow-
Fixture planning on 20:18 - Jul 27 with 3711 viewsmodelboydave

Fixture planning on 17:21 - Jul 27 by Sandyman

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/take-a-bow-

Thanks Sandy,

interesting looking at the names on here, a good many are still regulars, some are no longer with us, some have give up the ghost, and others have taken up a career in Refereeing!

Steve Ashworth; Warren Brierley; Kevin Jenkinson; Carl Jenkinson; Bernice Jenkinson; Jan Harwood; Anthony Kaminskas snr; Stuart Ashworth; Francis Collins; Peter Riley; Nick Johnson; Anthony Kaminskas; David Chaffey; Josh Bearshaw; Paul Bearshaw; Alan Hoyle; John Parry; Nick Brierley; Chris Brierley; Tony Unsworth; Kieran Unsworth; Naomi Unsworth; Graham Veevers; Richard Wild; David Veevers; Geoff Ferguson; Steven Phillipps; Rod Sunderland; Colin Wild; Alasdair Orr; Joanne Wild; Roger Wild; Steven Crossley; Peter Newton; Jackie Ferguson; Paul Veevers; Caroline Fogarty; Paul Leedham, Chris Commins, Jay Goulding, Mike Healey, Bill Midgeley, Lee Whitehead, John Fisher, Wayne Hartley.

Fixture planning on 21:42 - Jul 27 with 3671 viewsdaz

Fixture planning on 20:18 - Jul 27 by modelboydave

Thanks Sandy,

interesting looking at the names on here, a good many are still regulars, some are no longer with us, some have give up the ghost, and others have taken up a career in Refereeing!

Steve Ashworth; Warren Brierley; Kevin Jenkinson; Carl Jenkinson; Bernice Jenkinson; Jan Harwood; Anthony Kaminskas snr; Stuart Ashworth; Francis Collins; Peter Riley; Nick Johnson; Anthony Kaminskas; David Chaffey; Josh Bearshaw; Paul Bearshaw; Alan Hoyle; John Parry; Nick Brierley; Chris Brierley; Tony Unsworth; Kieran Unsworth; Naomi Unsworth; Graham Veevers; Richard Wild; David Veevers; Geoff Ferguson; Steven Phillipps; Rod Sunderland; Colin Wild; Alasdair Orr; Joanne Wild; Roger Wild; Steven Crossley; Peter Newton; Jackie Ferguson; Paul Veevers; Caroline Fogarty; Paul Leedham, Chris Commins, Jay Goulding, Mike Healey, Bill Midgeley, Lee Whitehead, John Fisher, Wayne Hartley.

I’m confused as to how these names can be missing from the 45???

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2019/january/christine-mavis--michael/
Fixture planning on 08:19 - Jul 28 with 3500 viewsmodelboydave

Fixture planning on 21:42 - Jul 27 by daz

I’m confused as to how these names can be missing from the 45???

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2019/january/christine-mavis--michael/

Good point. Are they all still with us?

Fixture planning on 13:16 - Jul 28 with 3398 viewsdaz

Fixture planning on 08:19 - Jul 28 by modelboydave

Good point. Are they all still with us?

Yes they are still season ticket holders in main stand but stopped doing away games last season - who can blame them!!!
Fixture planning on 14:01 - Jul 28 with 3341 viewsmodelboydave

Fixture planning on 13:16 - Jul 28 by daz

Yes they are still season ticket holders in main stand but stopped doing away games last season - who can blame them!!!

That is good to hear. I did think i had not seen them for a while. Yes you cant blame them! Not been the best 3 or 4 years really!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024