Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Am I distraught tonight? 21:09 - May 1 with 3147 viewsEllDale

Not particularly.
Should I be? Perhaps.
This is the fourth relegation in my time following the Dale.
The first one I barely remember but I’m told I cried. Perhaps that one was slightly predictable as we barely scraped into the new Third Division when the old North and South sections were merged in 1958.
The next two, in 1973/74 and 2011/12 weren’t a shock after we looked doomed long before the end of the season.
This one? Well Blind Freddie could have seen it coming since the end of January despite the heroics of the last month.
I would have been more more upset if we’d needed a point at MK Dons next Sunday and were beaten by a crap goal in stoppage time.
To my mind this relegation has been a slow process all revolving around recruitment - or the lack of it - over the last four or so seasons.
Players like Stephen Dawson, NML, Joe Rafferty, Andy Cannon, Callum Camps, Ian Henderson, Ashley Eastham, Rhys Norrington-Davies amongst others all left for a variety of reasons but were, to my mind, never adequately replaced.
The result is that we’ve slithered towards disaster over the years.
It could have been a lot worse of course.
A lot of the revenue that has kept us going was earned in cup ties against Newcastle and Manchester United. But we could quite easily have lost lost to Wrexham and Boston before playing Newcastle.
And in the Carabao Cup we were perhaps fortunate to play Bolton’s Academy team at home before scraping past Carlisle at Spotland.
I’m sat at home drinking red wine and thinking gloomily that the next relegation that I witness may down to the Conference unless the whole philosophy and mindset of the club changes.
Am I distraught tonight? on 21:45 - May 1 with 3011 viewsBeechball

Well , Norrington-Davies went back to his parent club, all the others left for more money elsewhere. Not much variety there. By the way you missed out Jamie Allen who was an absolutely crucial loss. His departure and the return of Done as the "marquee signing" that summer were the point where it all started to slide.
Am I distraught tonight? on 21:56 - May 1 with 2949 viewsEllDale

Am I distraught tonight? on 21:45 - May 1 by Beechball

Well , Norrington-Davies went back to his parent club, all the others left for more money elsewhere. Not much variety there. By the way you missed out Jamie Allen who was an absolutely crucial loss. His departure and the return of Done as the "marquee signing" that summer were the point where it all started to slide.

Fair comment.
And I forgot that Lund left as well.
That scouting software wants binning.
Am I distraught tonight? on 09:57 - May 2 with 2521 viewsdiver

Let’s hope that Bolton and Salford both somehow miss out on promotion which will make div 2 more interesting for us next season.I hope that away fixture at Harrogate falls on a weekend will book hotel while “her indoors “can go shopping while I go to match (Harrogate has some great clubs and bars) plus we have the undoubted pleasure of visiting our friends at Oldham!! Everything of course hinges on whether we have any more lockdowns.In my opinion this season has been a farce without fans (refer to the late great Jock Stein quote) and nobody should be judged on games played in training ground atmosphere!!
Am I distraught tonight? on 11:32 - May 2 with 2348 viewsEllDale

Factor in Morecambe and potentially Stockport/Halifax and it could be interesting.
Not to mention Tranmere.
Am I distraught tonight? on 17:07 - May 2 with 2099 viewsBigKindo

Am I distraught tonight? on 11:32 - May 2 by EllDale

Factor in Morecambe and potentially Stockport/Halifax and it could be interesting.
Not to mention Tranmere.

... and New Years Eve in Torquay. Mid week Decembervevenings in Hartlepool
Am I distraught tonight? on 17:28 - May 2 with 2053 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Am I distraught tonight? on 11:32 - May 2 by EllDale

Not to mention Tranmere.

I know you have been to a few FC halifax Town games that I have also attended before lockdown Ell......would you turn up at the Shay in preference to watching our shower whilst BBM and BotBot are still enthroned at San Spotty?

I always like the set-up at the Shay(chips and a pint in the little Club at HT) . It's a tidy little ground now and though the quality of footie was not as good as ours (AT THE TIME!) it suits me.

Just asking like?
Am I distraught tonight? on 11:17 - May 3 with 1622 viewsEllDale

I think that loyalty supersedes geographical convenience to be honest.
I would always go and watch Dale if possible before nipping down to Halifax Town but you never know how the next twelve months may pan out.
I don’t think that I could ever desert Dale for another team on a regular basis but may well go to the Shay when we’re at places like Crawley and Stevenage and if FCHT have a decent game.
Funny as well as no-one seems to have mentioned that we get to play Bradford City again.
Am I distraught tonight? on 11:42 - May 3 with 1576 viewsdiver

Am I distraught tonight? on 11:17 - May 3 by EllDale

I would always go and watch Dale if possible before nipping down to Halifax Town but you never know how the next twelve months may pan out.
I don’t think that I could ever desert Dale for another team on a regular basis but may well go to the Shay when we’re at places like Crawley and Stevenage and if FCHT have a decent game.
Funny as well as no-one seems to have mentioned that we get to play Bradford City again.

Parking a nightmare at Bradford best by train?
Login to get fewer ads

Am I distraught tonight? on 12:24 - May 3 with 1490 viewsD_Alien

Am I distraught tonight? on 11:42 - May 3 by diver

Parking a nightmare at Bradford best by train?

That's better forward planning than BBM could manage

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Am I distraught tonight? on 13:00 - May 3 with 1416 viewskel

Am I distraught tonight? on 11:17 - May 3 by EllDale

I’m sure the mugs are in production ready for their MILLIONS of fans to descend on our ground. Bottomley’s probably preparing to give them two stands as we speak.
Am I distraught tonight? on 09:59 - May 4 with 1035 viewsHopwoodblue

Am I distraught tonight? on 13:00 - May 3 by kel

I’m sure the mugs are in production ready for their MILLIONS of fans to descend on our ground. Bottomley’s probably preparing to give them two stands as we speak.

If he’s read Bradford City’s forum he’s probably gone into rinse and spin wondering how we can fit the 15000 that claim they will be heading to the Crown Oil Arena next season 🤣
There could be a lot of mugs left on the shelf that’s for sure!
[Post edited 4 May 2021 10:00]

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024