Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Foreign languages for lockdown 09:53 - Apr 1 with 1623 viewsDorsetIan

I am trying (and mostly failing) to encourage my kids to try to use all this free time wisely and I am trying to get my youngest to learn a few French words every day so that he will have fair vocabulary by the end of the lockdown period.

Anyone else going to use this free time to learn another language? As a nation, I think we remain really poor at speaking other languages and I wonder how many on here speak another language or would like to?

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Foreign languages for lockdown on 10:12 - Apr 1 with 1210 viewsOccasional_Showers

Alan Whicker once said “never try to speak a foreign language as it puts you at an immediate disadvantage to the natives”.

I fully concur with this view.

I find speaking slowly and loudly in English is the best way to communicate with the foreign people. Not only do you retain the upper hand but you give them the opportunity to practice their English.

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

Foreign languages for lockdown on 10:22 - Apr 1 with 1205 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

I usually brush up on my languages when I got to a country, even just the basics. The country that was most surprising for being engaging and wanting to help my pronunciation was Romania in 1993. Hard language to learn (as is Hungarian), but they do appreciate it and I feel I get friendlier service.

I got really good at Italian at one point and ended up in a conversation with one Italian restaurant owner.

French, German and Spanish are a given and easy to pick up key phrases. But the French are definitely the rudest when you try to speak their language.

I tried Russian but gave up - far too hard.

I think it's vitally important for Children to learn a language; Spanish is probably the best and easiest to get to grips with. One of my friends is Spanish and she speaks in Spanish to her children and they converse in English generally - the way they naturally flip languages is amazing.

But the original post is a good idea, why not take some time to learn or brush up on a language, it is important and makes you more aware of how English works at the same time.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Foreign languages for lockdown on 10:41 - Apr 1 with 1195 viewskernow

Knowledge is power.
Foreign languages for lockdown on 10:43 - Apr 1 with 1192 viewsdirk_doone

I've learned about a dozen languages, including some unusual ones, like Arabic, Korean and Mongolian; my problem is remembering them all.

After the first two, it gets quite easy, as you know how to learn them. The funny thing is, I wasn't very good at learning them at school, perhaps because dead languages like Latin didn't appeal to me.

The greatest motivation is a girlfriend who speaks the target language.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Foreign languages for lockdown on 10:48 - Apr 1 with 1181 viewsDorsetIan

Foreign languages for lockdown on 10:43 - Apr 1 by dirk_doone

I've learned about a dozen languages, including some unusual ones, like Arabic, Korean and Mongolian; my problem is remembering them all.

After the first two, it gets quite easy, as you know how to learn them. The funny thing is, I wasn't very good at learning them at school, perhaps because dead languages like Latin didn't appeal to me.

A dozen is very impressive! (As, apparently, is your cosmopolitan list of ex-girlfriends!)

You say it gets easier once you know how to learn them - can you share some top tips?

Foreign languages for lockdown on 10:52 - Apr 1 with 1175 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Foreign languages for lockdown on 10:48 - Apr 1 by DorsetIan

A dozen is very impressive! (As, apparently, is your cosmopolitan list of ex-girlfriends!)

You say it gets easier once you know how to learn them - can you share some top tips?

Top tip - don't be afraid to converse in the language. You WILL get it wrong, but most people want to help and will correct you.

Most countries are delighted that an Englishman has bothered to try to speak the language.

Foreign languages for lockdown on 10:53 - Apr 1 with 1175 viewskernow

Foreign languages for lockdown on 10:43 - Apr 1 by dirk_doone

Although Latin is no longer spoken widely it is very much alive in science.
Celtic languages have been extensively revived which is brilliant.
Foreign languages for lockdown on 10:53 - Apr 1 with 1174 viewsthis_charming_man

I'd be interested in learning some tips too dirk! I've tried several times to learn Italian, am trying again, i'm okay in a lap top but as soon as i get in a conversation when there get completely lost.

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Login to get fewer ads

Foreign languages for lockdown on 10:59 - Apr 1 with 1170 viewsdirk_doone

Foreign languages for lockdown on 10:48 - Apr 1 by DorsetIan

As soon as you learn something, use it. On average, you need to actively use new words and phrases in conversation and writing about 7 times before they become a permanent part of your active vocabulary.

You need a reason to learn a language and that is to communicate with someone. For children, nowadays, online penfriends should be easy to find.

Read a simplified story or simple book in the target language. Doing that is one of the greatest leaps forward you will make.

Praise your children. Tell them they are good language learners and they will be.

TCM, when you are in Italy, think about your plans for each day and learn in advance what Italian phrases will be useful. Then go out and use them. Of course, that is only half the battle as speaking is much easier than listening. But, there are plenty of Italian courses with CDs and DVDs for you to practise your listening.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2020 11:20]

Foreign languages for lockdown on 11:30 - Apr 1 with 1140 viewsDorsetIan

Foreign languages for lockdown on 10:59 - Apr 1 by dirk_doone

As soon as you learn something, use it. On average, you need to actively use new words and phrases in conversation and writing about 7 times before they become a permanent part of your active vocabulary.

You need a reason to learn a language and that is to communicate with someone. For children, nowadays, online penfriends should be easy to find.

Read a simplified story or simple book in the target language. Doing that is one of the greatest leaps forward you will make.

Praise your children. Tell them they are good language learners and they will be.

TCM, when you are in Italy, think about your plans for each day and learn in advance what Italian phrases will be useful. Then go out and use them. Of course, that is only half the battle as speaking is much easier than listening. But, there are plenty of Italian courses with CDs and DVDs for you to practise your listening.

Great tips, thank you.

Using it and needing to make yourself understood are so important. At school I was better at maths and science type subjects and thought I was no good at languages but I went to France when I was 19 and after two months struggling to talk to drivers when hitchhiking and then finding a job where they only spoke French for another two months, four months later I wasn't perfect but I could converse with what I knew pretty fluently.

In all the years since, I have never got anywhere near that level of proficiency with any other language - despite many efforts.

In terms of CDs for TCM, one of the absolute best is the Michel Thomas language learning series. It's all about listening and repeating and he insists that you mustn't try to remember anything or write anything down. Even now, years later, I can still remember him teaching 'I'm sorry but it's not possible' in the very first lesson. 'mi dispiace ma non e possibile'...

Foreign languages for lockdown on 11:40 - Apr 1 with 1133 viewsdirk_doone

Foreign languages for lockdown on 11:30 - Apr 1 by DorsetIan

Great tips, thank you.

Using it and needing to make yourself understood are so important. At school I was better at maths and science type subjects and thought I was no good at languages but I went to France when I was 19 and after two months struggling to talk to drivers when hitchhiking and then finding a job where they only spoke French for another two months, four months later I wasn't perfect but I could converse with what I knew pretty fluently.

In all the years since, I have never got anywhere near that level of proficiency with any other language - despite many efforts.

In terms of CDs for TCM, one of the absolute best is the Michel Thomas language learning series. It's all about listening and repeating and he insists that you mustn't try to remember anything or write anything down. Even now, years later, I can still remember him teaching 'I'm sorry but it's not possible' in the very first lesson. 'mi dispiace ma non e possibile'...

A communicative need is very important. The first phrase I learned in Mongolian was, Be Orus bish, which means, 'I am not Russian'. At the time, the Soviet Bloc was collapsing and Russians were getting attacked in the streets. My colleague, who had not learned this phrase, got beaten up so badly that his head looked like a pumpkin. I must admit I did once get rocks thrown at me but I like to think that was because the men throwing them were too far away to hear me.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2020 11:41]

Foreign languages for lockdown on 11:48 - Apr 1 with 1118 viewsBazza

I recommend using free website/app Duolingo.com. Any language you like and go at your own pace. Enjoy!
Foreign languages for lockdown on 12:24 - Apr 1 with 1096 viewsTheMoog

I’ve been learning Portuguese for the last couple of months as I’ve never been to Portugal for some reason and intend to right that wrong soon. I did well in French and German at school but preferred the science route so didn’t go beyond GCSE but I’ve got the basics of how the structure and grammar etc works so it is going well. I could ask for a menu then tell the waiter my cat is very old.

Standby to standby

Foreign languages for lockdown on 12:40 - Apr 1 with 1081 viewsDorsetIan

Foreign languages for lockdown on 12:24 - Apr 1 by TheMoog

I’ve been learning Portuguese for the last couple of months as I’ve never been to Portugal for some reason and intend to right that wrong soon. I did well in French and German at school but preferred the science route so didn’t go beyond GCSE but I’ve got the basics of how the structure and grammar etc works so it is going well. I could ask for a menu then tell the waiter my cat is very old.

Lovely country - everywhere so clean and well looked after. Great people. Strange language - looks like Spanish, sounds like Russian.

Tip from Portuguese speaking friend: really soft stress (almost inaudible) on the final syllable of ever word. So NUNo ESPIRITo SANTo...JOSe MORINho

My son is resisting learning French on the basis that he would much prefer to learn Portuguese so that he can visit Brazil. I might call his bluff - what resource are you using to learn it?

Foreign languages for lockdown on 12:41 - Apr 1 with 1080 viewsTheMoog

Foreign languages for lockdown on 11:48 - Apr 1 by Bazza

I recommend using free website/app Duolingo.com. Any language you like and go at your own pace. Enjoy!

I looked at Duolingo but their Portuguese course seemed to be the Brazilian dialect which is understandably more common as the population of Brazil is about twenty times that of Portugal. I preferred to learn the version appropriate to where I intend to visit so I found an app called Memrise which costs £25 for the year but covers the Portuguese version and I think is excellent. I’ve also found a short course in book form which goes into the conjugation of verbs and so on in a bit more depth rather than just repeating phrases and words.

Target is to do a GCSE next year if I can find somewhere to sit it- it’s not common!

Standby to standby

Foreign languages for lockdown on 12:45 - Apr 1 with 1076 viewsTheMoog

Foreign languages for lockdown on 12:40 - Apr 1 by DorsetIan

Lovely country - everywhere so clean and well looked after. Great people. Strange language - looks like Spanish, sounds like Russian.

Tip from Portuguese speaking friend: really soft stress (almost inaudible) on the final syllable of ever word. So NUNo ESPIRITo SANTo...JOSe MORINho

My son is resisting learning French on the basis that he would much prefer to learn Portuguese so that he can visit Brazil. I might call his bluff - what resource are you using to learn it?

One of the key differences with Brazilian is that they do say the last syllable so learning to listen to someone from Rio would cause problems in understanding someone in the Algarve.

Edit: Memrise as described above and this book:

Portuguese in 3 months: Your Essential Guide to Understanding and Speaking Portuguese (Hugo in 3 Months) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/140530104X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6eiHEbXVMRE41
[Post edited 1 Apr 2020 12:56]

Standby to standby

Foreign languages for lockdown on 12:46 - Apr 1 with 1075 viewsthis_charming_man

I know how to say on saturdays i go swimming with my friends in German, may come in useful one day.

Foreign languages for lockdown on 12:49 - Apr 1 with 1067 viewsthis_charming_man

Foreign languages for lockdown on 10:59 - Apr 1 by dirk_doone

thanks Dirk, i currently using Duolingo, it seems pretty good and im making more progress than previously when i used CDs and books. We usually go to ITaly twice a year but looks like that will be on hold this year.

Foreign languages for lockdown on 13:08 - Apr 1 with 1046 viewsDorsetIan

Foreign languages for lockdown on 12:45 - Apr 1 by TheMoog

One of the key differences with Brazilian is that they do say the last syllable so learning to listen to someone from Rio would cause problems in understanding someone in the Algarve.

Edit: Memrise as described above and this book:

Portuguese in 3 months: Your Essential Guide to Understanding and Speaking Portuguese (Hugo in 3 Months) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/140530104X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6eiHEbXVMRE41
[Post edited 1 Apr 2020 12:56]

Good to know about that difference in the South American dialect.

Hugo's French in 3 months was the book I had with me back in the day, so I will get that and check out Memrise.

Thanks.

Foreign languages for lockdown on 13:24 - Apr 1 with 1038 viewsTheMoog

Foreign languages for lockdown on 13:08 - Apr 1 by DorsetIan

Good to know about that difference in the South American dialect.

Hugo's French in 3 months was the book I had with me back in the day, so I will get that and check out Memrise.

Thanks.

Memrise do have a Brazilian Portuguese course but Duolingo is free - couldn't comment on the content. Memrise has the added bonus however of having lots of other non-language courses that I might dabble into as well such as learning Python.

Standby to standby

Foreign languages for lockdown on 13:37 - Apr 1 with 1036 viewsOccasional_Showers

Lisbon is the best city I’ve visited. It’s very compact so you can do everything. Beautiful buildings, cobbled streets (but they are fookin lethal when wet so take some decent trainers with grip), good food - try the octopus, and not as touristy as places like Seville. Porto is next on my bucket list. Check out air b n b accommodation. There are some fabulous boutique style apartments right in the centre and they are not expensive. Flights are (were) cheap too.

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

Foreign languages for lockdown on 13:57 - Apr 1 with 1025 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Foreign languages for lockdown on 13:37 - Apr 1 by Occasional_Showers

Lisbon is the best city I’ve visited. It’s very compact so you can do everything. Beautiful buildings, cobbled streets (but they are fookin lethal when wet so take some decent trainers with grip), good food - try the octopus, and not as touristy as places like Seville. Porto is next on my bucket list. Check out air b n b accommodation. There are some fabulous boutique style apartments right in the centre and they are not expensive. Flights are (were) cheap too.

Porto is definitely on my list - looks and sounds amazing from what I've read and heard from others

Foreign languages for lockdown on 14:14 - Apr 1 with 1019 views1885_SFC

I've been to Portugal several times and you can't go there without trying sardines whilst sat outside at a table as the world goes by. As a massive fish lover, the locals do them as they're meant to be - five or six big sardines on a plate (nothing else), with crusty bread, and a glass of local red wine... and all for just a couple of quid really.

Old School is Cool

Foreign languages for lockdown on 14:24 - Apr 1 with 1009 viewsTheMoog

Foreign languages for lockdown on 14:14 - Apr 1 by 1885_SFC

I've been to Portugal several times and you can't go there without trying sardines whilst sat outside at a table as the world goes by. As a massive fish lover, the locals do them as they're meant to be - five or six big sardines on a plate (nothing else), with crusty bread, and a glass of local red wine... and all for just a couple of quid really.

I don't really like fish which is unfortunate as that obviously constitutes a fair bit of Portuguese cuisine . I'll be sticking to their chicken dishes and things like Bife a Portuguesa which is basically steak and chips with a fried egg on top.

Standby to standby

Foreign languages for lockdown on 14:38 - Apr 1 with 1001 viewsthis_charming_man

Foreign languages for lockdown on 14:14 - Apr 1 by 1885_SFC

I concur, it's superb. Also like the Tuna steaks they do washed down the vino verde, spot on.

Love Portugal, only been once.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024