Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Corruption 23:17 - Jun 3 with 10396 viewsDorsetIan

House of Lords Appointments Committee recommends Peter Cruddas not be appointed to the Lords because he sold access to David Cameron at £250,000 a pop.

Boris Johnson appointed him anyway.

Three days after being appointed he donated £500,000 to Tory Party.

Do any of the Boris fans on here want to defend this? Or say that they don’t care?

Because I’m really not sure how the whole country was up in arms about MPs expenses in 2008 but something as bent as this goes unchecked.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Corruption on 00:57 - Jun 4 with 3871 viewsthissceptredsaint

It's shocking, truly shocking, but I fear the spivs we have in power have managed to normalise this level of corruption.

People just except it and we get what we deserve
Corruption on 12:21 - Jun 4 with 3750 viewsChesham_Saint

Hmm, money for honours....now Why does that ring a bell? 🤔
Ah, yes! 😲
Tony Blair...🤫

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Corruption on 13:15 - Jun 4 with 3732 viewsBazza

Cruddas successfully sued the Sunday Times for libel about the Cameron dosh.
Frankly anyone ready to pay £250,000 to meet Cameron need a psychiatrist.

The House of Lords though is totally not fit for purpose. The huge number of peers includes, amongst some experienced ex MPs working hard on legislation, a lot of failed LIb Dems (some never elected as MPs), a failed Green, Bishops (why?, their predecessors condemned Anne Boleyn, such a nice girl) and 90 odd hereditary nobs (still in the 21st century!)

Don't think one working class lad, self-made millionaire, will do the Lords any noticeable harm. Could keep Beefy company.
Corruption on 14:42 - Jun 4 with 3706 viewsDorsetIan

Corruption on 13:15 - Jun 4 by Bazza

Cruddas successfully sued the Sunday Times for libel about the Cameron dosh.
Frankly anyone ready to pay £250,000 to meet Cameron need a psychiatrist.

The House of Lords though is totally not fit for purpose. The huge number of peers includes, amongst some experienced ex MPs working hard on legislation, a lot of failed LIb Dems (some never elected as MPs), a failed Green, Bishops (why?, their predecessors condemned Anne Boleyn, such a nice girl) and 90 odd hereditary nobs (still in the 21st century!)

Don't think one working class lad, self-made millionaire, will do the Lords any noticeable harm. Could keep Beefy company.

"However, in March 2015, an appeal court reduced the libel damages and made Cruddas repay £130,000 of the original £180,000 in damages, ruling that the Sunday Times's central allegation around "cash for access" had been borne out by the facts, while also ruling that a series of subsidiary allegations made in the same Sunday Times article were still false and defamatory."

He is example to 'working class lads' everywhere - just find half a million quid for the Tory Party and you too can become a Lord.

Corruption on 14:49 - Jun 4 with 3703 viewsDorsetIan

Corruption on 12:21 - Jun 4 by Chesham_Saint

Hmm, money for honours....now Why does that ring a bell? 🤔
Ah, yes! 😲
Tony Blair...🤫

Precisely my point. In 2007/8, this sort of thing led to a police investigation over the selling of honours, the arrest of Lord Levy and serious damage to Blair's reputation. The loans involved had to be repaid and the decision to block by the House of Lords Committee stood.

Not quite the same response now.

Corruption on 16:32 - Jun 4 with 3655 viewsdwayne_dibley

they are all corrupt, but that is how the system works

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Corruption on 16:58 - Jun 4 with 3626 viewsBison

Corruption on 14:49 - Jun 4 by DorsetIan

Precisely my point. In 2007/8, this sort of thing led to a police investigation over the selling of honours, the arrest of Lord Levy and serious damage to Blair's reputation. The loans involved had to be repaid and the decision to block by the House of Lords Committee stood.

Not quite the same response now.

I have no idea what happened back then or even now but who created the response back then to get the investigation ? Surely Labour had a majority back then like the Tories have now so are you saying the the Tories kicked up more of a fuss back then than what labour are doing now ?

I'm really not sure who you are trying to blame for this lack of response

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Corruption on 17:20 - Jun 4 with 3623 viewsDorsetIan

Corruption on 16:58 - Jun 4 by Bison

I have no idea what happened back then or even now but who created the response back then to get the investigation ? Surely Labour had a majority back then like the Tories have now so are you saying the the Tories kicked up more of a fuss back then than what labour are doing now ?

I'm really not sure who you are trying to blame for this lack of response

At the time, the matter was referred to the Met Police following complaints by three individuals. The CPS did not prosecute because of the lack direct evidence of the quid pro quo.

The important point though is that the decision to block the appointment of the individuals by the House of Lords Committee was not simply overridden by PM at the time and the suggestion of corruption was taken seriously by everyone.

I am not trying to blame anyone particularly. It is early days as the donation has only just come to light, so we don't know yet what the fallout will be.

I was asking if anyone wanted to defend it or say that they didn't care.

It strikes me that we, as a country are allowing a general cynicism about 'how these things work' to make us far less rigorous about corruption.

It's boring but important stuff. Corruption is a huge inefficient drain on any economy and society.

Login to get fewer ads

Corruption on 18:22 - Jun 4 with 3602 viewsBazza

Corruption on 17:20 - Jun 4 by DorsetIan

At the time, the matter was referred to the Met Police following complaints by three individuals. The CPS did not prosecute because of the lack direct evidence of the quid pro quo.

The important point though is that the decision to block the appointment of the individuals by the House of Lords Committee was not simply overridden by PM at the time and the suggestion of corruption was taken seriously by everyone.

I am not trying to blame anyone particularly. It is early days as the donation has only just come to light, so we don't know yet what the fallout will be.

It strikes me that we, as a country are allowing a general cynicism about 'how these things work' to make us far less rigorous about corruption.

It's boring but important stuff. Corruption is a huge inefficient drain on any economy and society.

You’re flogging a dead horse here. Crudas has been making donations to the Tory party for years, he’s worth £800m. He was previously the Tory treasurer.

Be good to have another business brain in the Lords. Better than ex hairdressers,tv presenters, hereditaries and Bishops, no?
Corruption on 18:33 - Jun 4 with 3593 views1885_SFC

Corruption on 17:20 - Jun 4 by DorsetIan

Corruption goes hand in hand with politics. That's the case and always will be whether you're red or blue. The ordinary man in the street gave up caring a long time ago (I know I did). These days it's for the tabloids to expose such scandals and plaster all over their front pages - mainly to readers who ignore the front cover anyway and turn over to see who's the latest sad celeb going into the jungle, or what dress Holly Willoughby is wearing this Summer.

Old School is Cool

Corruption on 22:27 - Jun 4 with 3524 viewsSadoldgit

The majority of people who voted for Johnson, just like the people who voted for Trump, really do not care about any wrong doings that either of them are responsible for. Political integrity has certainly not been as low in my lifetime.
Corruption on 22:56 - Jun 4 with 3511 viewsBazza

Corruption on 22:27 - Jun 4 by Sadoldgit

The majority of people who voted for Johnson, just like the people who voted for Trump, really do not care about any wrong doings that either of them are responsible for. Political integrity has certainly not been as low in my lifetime.

Soggy ‘the majority ‘ eh, you’ve been busy talking to everyone
What has Trump got to do with UK politics? Would you compare Corbyn to Putin, no of course not.
I expect people care but these events are not on the scale as coronavirus.
Corruption on 00:37 - Jun 5 with 3486 viewsDorsetIan

Corruption on 22:27 - Jun 4 by Sadoldgit

The question for me is can this trend be reversed. Because if not, long term, democracy is f*cked. A quaint idea that gained some traction In the 18th to 20th centuries but which people just got bored of and preferred instead to be ruled by thugs, celebrities and billionaires, who they let do whatever they fancied.

Corruption on 10:12 - Jun 5 with 3400 viewsSadoldgit

Corruption on 22:56 - Jun 4 by Bazza

Soggy ‘the majority ‘ eh, you’ve been busy talking to everyone
What has Trump got to do with UK politics? Would you compare Corbyn to Putin, no of course not.
I expect people care but these events are not on the scale as coronavirus.

I use the term “majority” because you don’t see any criticism of Johnson from his supporters no matter what he does. Quite the opposite in fact. As for him being like Teump, they are both similar characters and they both have unbending loyalty from their supporters.
Corbyn and Putin? Where are the similarities? Can’t see any myself. Does Corbyn send death squats abroad to assassinate dissidents? They seem completely dissimilar to me. Not sure how we can compare Russia to the Western world’s political systems?
[Post edited 5 Jun 2021 10:15]
Corruption on 20:19 - Jun 24 with 3114 viewsRon11

Corruption on 18:22 - Jun 4 by Bazza

You’re flogging a dead horse here. Crudas has been making donations to the Tory party for years, he’s worth £800m. He was previously the Tory treasurer.

Be good to have another business brain in the Lords. Better than ex hairdressers,tv presenters, hereditaries and Bishops, no?

And Bercow.
Corruption on 06:40 - Jun 25 with 3038 viewsCity_boy

Corruption on 20:19 - Jun 24 by Ron11

And Bercow.

I don't have much time for the unelected old boys club called the House of Lords and would be happy to see it abolished, if only to stop that snake Bercow being able to join.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2021 6:40]
Corruption on 09:56 - Jun 25 with 2987 viewsRon11

Corruption on 06:40 - Jun 25 by City_boy

I don't have much time for the unelected old boys club called the House of Lords and would be happy to see it abolished, if only to stop that snake Bercow being able to join.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2021 6:40]

100% agree.
Corruption on 09:57 - Jun 25 with 2987 viewsSadoldgit

But it is ok for the Tories to fill it with their own snakes and cronies?
Corruption on 10:11 - Jun 25 with 2985 viewsBerber

Corruption on 09:57 - Jun 25 by Sadoldgit

But it is ok for the Tories to fill it with their own snakes and cronies?

If it is OK for Labour to do the same, not that it is likely to happen for some time I'd guess. An elected house would be better (possibly) but the US senate has some right crackpots and knobheads that get re-elected time after time. However, limiting it to 100 would be a good start.
Corruption on 10:45 - Jun 25 with 2981 viewsSadoldgit

If there is a constitutional need for a House of Lords, which l’m not convinced that there is, then it should be a democratically elected chamber. Having a dig at ex Speaker Bercow is a bit rich given the number of people in there who have “bought” peerages. If the tradition is to give ex Speakers a peerage, then he should have a peerage.
Corruption on 13:24 - Jun 25 with 2963 viewsBerber

Corruption on 10:45 - Jun 25 by Sadoldgit

If there is a constitutional need for a House of Lords, which l’m not convinced that there is, then it should be a democratically elected chamber. Having a dig at ex Speaker Bercow is a bit rich given the number of people in there who have “bought” peerages. If the tradition is to give ex Speakers a peerage, then he should have a peerage.

Maybe Starmer could put him forward as one of his nominees?
Corruption on 14:38 - Jun 25 with 2952 viewsCity_boy

Corruption on 13:24 - Jun 25 by Berber

Maybe Starmer could put him forward as one of his nominees?

Corbyn already tried to get Bercow a peerage and failed.
Corruption on 16:36 - Jun 25 with 2941 viewsSadoldgit

Corruption on 14:38 - Jun 25 by City_boy

Corbyn already tried to get Bercow a peerage and failed.

Johnson is a nasty piece of work and doesn’t like to be crossed. Because Bercow gave him a hard time in the Commons over Brexit hell will freeze over before he lets him into the Lords. This despite it is common practice for ex Speakers to be given a peerage.
Corruption on 17:04 - Jun 25 with 2936 viewskentsouthampton

Corruption is Hancock awarding NHS contracts to the brother of the burd he's been shagging.
Corruption on 17:33 - Jun 25 with 2925 viewsBazza

Corruption on 16:36 - Jun 25 by Sadoldgit

Johnson is a nasty piece of work and doesn’t like to be crossed. Because Bercow gave him a hard time in the Commons over Brexit hell will freeze over before he lets him into the Lords. This despite it is common practice for ex Speakers to be given a peerage.

Bercow clearly took sides when in office and was not independent of political bias, he also has campaigned for a peerage. Both acts should disqualify him for peerage. Moreover he occupied a whole page spread in a Spanish newspaper when I was there on holiday really spoiling my day for a while, publicity seeking jerk!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024