Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martin Semmens podcast 11:06 - Oct 11 with 3747 viewsSadoldgit

For those who constantly criticise the club for the way it is run, the latest Total Saints Podcast has a very good interview with Martin Semmens who speaks intelligently and clearly about where we are, what we are doing and why.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-171-martin-semmens-q-a-total-saint
Martin Semmens podcast on 09:23 - Oct 15 with 947 viewsSaintNick

Martin Semmens podcast on 07:19 - Oct 15 by barry_sanchez

I'm not arsed if we get relegated, why not? Gao and Liebherr would lose millions and we'd actually go into most games with a chance of winning, we're simply cannon fodder for aspiring clubs, what is the fun in that?

Did Jack in the Titanic have fun holding onto that piece of wood?

This is very short sighted, you would be happy that Katharina Liebherr a person who pumped in money back in 2014 and whose father saved the club in 2009 would lose millions, that is just one of the most pathetic comments I have ever read.

It is short sighted to believe that Gao has no influence or affect on the club, if he walked away now then it would collapse as did Pompey when their owner did just that a decade or so ago.

At the moment there is leadership and a strategy, Gao' goes and that falls apart, key executives would probably jump ship, players would see the chaos behind the scenes and want to get out.

As I keep reiterating Gao might not be the ideal owner, but he is at least a stable one until the right one comes along.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Martin Semmens podcast on 09:33 - Oct 15 with 934 viewsDorsetIan

Martin Semmens podcast on 09:23 - Oct 15 by SaintNick

This is very short sighted, you would be happy that Katharina Liebherr a person who pumped in money back in 2014 and whose father saved the club in 2009 would lose millions, that is just one of the most pathetic comments I have ever read.

It is short sighted to believe that Gao has no influence or affect on the club, if he walked away now then it would collapse as did Pompey when their owner did just that a decade or so ago.

At the moment there is leadership and a strategy, Gao' goes and that falls apart, key executives would probably jump ship, players would see the chaos behind the scenes and want to get out.

As I keep reiterating Gao might not be the ideal owner, but he is at least a stable one until the right one comes along.

So now Gao is the only thing holding the club together?

Some of your statements about him are just bizarre.

'it would collapse', 'that fall's apart', 'key executives would probably jump ship', 'players...would want to get out'.

You forgot to mention that the stadium would most likely be struck by lightning and burn down.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Martin Semmens podcast on 11:37 - Oct 15 with 871 viewsSaintNick

Martin Semmens podcast on 09:33 - Oct 15 by DorsetIan

So now Gao is the only thing holding the club together?

Some of your statements about him are just bizarre.

'it would collapse', 'that fall's apart', 'key executives would probably jump ship', 'players...would want to get out'.

You forgot to mention that the stadium would most likely be struck by lightning and burn down.

Why is is bizarre, I presented an example of what happened at a football club when the owner simply walked away.

Look what happened at St Mary's in 2009 when Barclays demanded repayment of a £4 million overdraft as the club had Michael Wilde stepping down and they weren't happy that Leon Crouch take over hence it opened up for Lowe to return

You seem to try and give an impression you know a little about business, if so then you would not find it bizarre.

If Gao simply resigned as Chairman he would still be the owner and majority shareholder, there would be no structure, Semmens would have none to answer to , would he be happy in charge of a big company in those circumstances, probably not and would seek employment elsewhere.

If that happened would we be able to recruit a replacement, ? probably not it would like Pompey collapse like a pack of cards

If you want to debate things like Gao or Semmens then at least do so with an adult outlook, this is not the school playground where we pick every little piece out and hold up for scrutiny.

You know so much you tell me what would be the likely scenario if Gao suddenly pulled out.

Martin Semmens podcast on 11:52 - Oct 15 with 846 viewsButty101

Nick you are getting more and more desperate

The portsmouth situation is completely differnt. The owner was pumping money into them so they could afford the likes of Defoe and keep them afloat. Our owner isnt pumping any money into us, so if he walks away nothing changes. Of course he wont walk away as he wants his money back. Until he can find a mug that will pay 200mil for 80% he will be here and we will keep getting weaker.

Honestly you can only be coming up with this rubbish to keep this board alive.

PS still no answer on how Gao could take the transfer money out i see.

PPS when i go tomorrow and by a pint at the ground and possibly a program, i will probably be investing more in the club than Gao ever will
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 11:57]

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Martin Semmens podcast on 12:19 - Oct 15 with 816 viewsSaintNick

Martin Semmens podcast on 11:52 - Oct 15 by Butty101

Nick you are getting more and more desperate

The portsmouth situation is completely differnt. The owner was pumping money into them so they could afford the likes of Defoe and keep them afloat. Our owner isnt pumping any money into us, so if he walks away nothing changes. Of course he wont walk away as he wants his money back. Until he can find a mug that will pay 200mil for 80% he will be here and we will keep getting weaker.

Honestly you can only be coming up with this rubbish to keep this board alive.

PS still no answer on how Gao could take the transfer money out i see.

PPS when i go tomorrow and by a pint at the ground and possibly a program, i will probably be investing more in the club than Gao ever will
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 11:57]

I'm not desperate at all, I just look to put some balance into a debate.

The Pompey situation was different in some ways in that yes Gaydamak propped up Pompey and then started to get money back from player sales etc essentially money laundering.

We don't need money pumping in at present despite some fans thinking that if we did that would automatically make us a top 10 club.

Gao could probably have sold his share to the people who bought Burnley, they paid around £200 million and if you look at their infrastructure and fan base size compared to ours we would make a much better bet than Burnley with a population of around 88,000 and surrounded either by places like Blackburn and Bolton who would support their own teams or only a short journey from Manchester

Sorry if i had missed your request for an answer on how he would take the money out, there are several ways, he could have like Burnley's new owners leveraged the club to get the bulk of his money back, he could have taken money from transfer fees, in his first year we had significant money coming in for Van Dyke and he could have dripped that out over the term of the payment schedule.

If you think that spending £10 is more than Gao has put into the club then you are a little naive or just trying to reduce this thread down to meaningless drivel.

I have no problem with being called names etc or my opinion being rubbished, but glib comments like " I spend a tenner and I invest more than Gao" are the sort of things you expect from a kid on twitter or whatever the latest social media thing is these days, your comments are usually giving a reasonable view, you are better than that

Martin Semmens podcast on 12:20 - Oct 15 with 816 viewsDorsetIan

Martin Semmens podcast on 11:37 - Oct 15 by SaintNick

Why is is bizarre, I presented an example of what happened at a football club when the owner simply walked away.

Look what happened at St Mary's in 2009 when Barclays demanded repayment of a £4 million overdraft as the club had Michael Wilde stepping down and they weren't happy that Leon Crouch take over hence it opened up for Lowe to return

You seem to try and give an impression you know a little about business, if so then you would not find it bizarre.

If Gao simply resigned as Chairman he would still be the owner and majority shareholder, there would be no structure, Semmens would have none to answer to , would he be happy in charge of a big company in those circumstances, probably not and would seek employment elsewhere.

If that happened would we be able to recruit a replacement, ? probably not it would like Pompey collapse like a pack of cards

If you want to debate things like Gao or Semmens then at least do so with an adult outlook, this is not the school playground where we pick every little piece out and hold up for scrutiny.

You know so much you tell me what would be the likely scenario if Gao suddenly pulled out.

The bizarre bit is how you say with such conviction that all manner of doom and gloom would befall the club if Gao wasn't there.

You get cross with people on this site who are negative about the team and yet you present a complete meltdown scenario in relation to Gao going.

You also don't explain what you mean by him walking away or pulling out. If you mean he stays as shareholder and resigns as Chairman then nothing changes. A new Chairman is appointed and they can simply adopt Gao's plans or not. No meltdown.

If you mean, sells his shares to someone else then they would be in control, so who knows. Again, why assume a meltdown?

If you mean that he just gives up on the whole thing, then probably the easiest way to do that would be to sell he 80% stake back to the club for £1. That would leave Kat owning 100% again and she could just continue as things are. Again, no meltdown.

Martin Semmens podcast on 12:37 - Oct 15 with 793 viewsButty101

Martin Semmens podcast on 12:19 - Oct 15 by SaintNick

I'm not desperate at all, I just look to put some balance into a debate.

The Pompey situation was different in some ways in that yes Gaydamak propped up Pompey and then started to get money back from player sales etc essentially money laundering.

We don't need money pumping in at present despite some fans thinking that if we did that would automatically make us a top 10 club.

Gao could probably have sold his share to the people who bought Burnley, they paid around £200 million and if you look at their infrastructure and fan base size compared to ours we would make a much better bet than Burnley with a population of around 88,000 and surrounded either by places like Blackburn and Bolton who would support their own teams or only a short journey from Manchester

Sorry if i had missed your request for an answer on how he would take the money out, there are several ways, he could have like Burnley's new owners leveraged the club to get the bulk of his money back, he could have taken money from transfer fees, in his first year we had significant money coming in for Van Dyke and he could have dripped that out over the term of the payment schedule.

If you think that spending £10 is more than Gao has put into the club then you are a little naive or just trying to reduce this thread down to meaningless drivel.

I have no problem with being called names etc or my opinion being rubbished, but glib comments like " I spend a tenner and I invest more than Gao" are the sort of things you expect from a kid on twitter or whatever the latest social media thing is these days, your comments are usually giving a reasonable view, you are better than that

I was calling you out on how he can take transfer fees out of the club. The way you talk about it, is like you have been playing football manager.

for example
"You are quick to call him out, so tell me why he hasn't flogged off a couple of players as he did in the summer for £50 million and then taken £130 million for the club as he has previously been offered ?"

As you well know, clubs 99% of the time, pay the transfer fee over the length of the players contract. So at best this summer we have taken in 12mill in fees after everyone gets their cut. Dont froget liverpool got about 5mill from the ings sell. Why would Gao take out 12mill and damage the product he is trying to sell as it would be drastically weakened. If he cant sell the club for 180mill now, well then selling 50mill of talent and not replacing it means the value of the club to a potential buyer would have significantly dropped. So this logic is nuts.

As for my glib comment, Gao to the best of my knowledge has never invested anything in the club. Buying the club dosent equate to investing.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Martin Semmens podcast on 14:27 - Oct 15 with 752 viewsDorsetIan

Martin Semmens podcast on 12:37 - Oct 15 by Butty101

I was calling you out on how he can take transfer fees out of the club. The way you talk about it, is like you have been playing football manager.

for example
"You are quick to call him out, so tell me why he hasn't flogged off a couple of players as he did in the summer for £50 million and then taken £130 million for the club as he has previously been offered ?"

As you well know, clubs 99% of the time, pay the transfer fee over the length of the players contract. So at best this summer we have taken in 12mill in fees after everyone gets their cut. Dont froget liverpool got about 5mill from the ings sell. Why would Gao take out 12mill and damage the product he is trying to sell as it would be drastically weakened. If he cant sell the club for 180mill now, well then selling 50mill of talent and not replacing it means the value of the club to a potential buyer would have significantly dropped. So this logic is nuts.

As for my glib comment, Gao to the best of my knowledge has never invested anything in the club. Buying the club dosent equate to investing.

There's another pretty fundamental point here. Gao only owns 80% of the club. I would be extremely surprised if the other 20% shareholder didn't have to agree to any step which involves Gao asset stripping the Club.

At the very least the other 20% shareholder would demand equal treatment in terms of money out. More likely, she would have a power to block anything that she didn't agree with.

A 20% stake could be made worthless by an asset strip. She's not stupid.

Login to get fewer ads

Martin Semmens podcast on 14:38 - Oct 15 with 748 viewssaints__fan__73

Pumped money in? By that you mean loaned a club, that she actually owned, some money which she was later paid back at a healthy rate of interest before selling 80% of to make a profit of well over £200m?

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Martin Semmens podcast on 14:45 - Oct 15 with 731 viewsBazza

Martin Semmens podcast on 12:37 - Oct 15 by Butty101

for example

How can you say 'Buying the club dosent equate to investing.'
Gao has bought 80% of the club , that's investing by definition. Perhaps you mean Gao hasn't added to the funds for running the club, that's probably true and if he did it would have to be a loan to the club , or a donation if Saints were very lucky.
Martin Semmens podcast on 14:52 - Oct 15 with 722 viewsPaleRider

I am intrigued to know from the financial experts on here:

1) How much have either of the owners actually invested into the club and in what form -debt or equity? BTW - buying shares from someone else is NOT investing into the club;
2) How much money have either of the owners actually taken out of the club and in what form - dividends, loan repayments, interest or buying back shares?

I have a feeling that the net spend in Gao's case is zero. I have no idea about Kat. However, the key point is that in order to grow/prosper there needs to be investment.

There are different models and I think that Brighton is an interesting example, where their community involvement seems much greater and the owner is Brighton through and through. However, their case is a little different as they have the backing of the major employer in the area - Amex.

I would like us to follow the Brighton model a bit more closely but realise that it may not be possible.

Unfortunately the debate on here has become increasingly polarised but what is abundantly clear is that something is not right - both on and off the pitch. I can only speak for myself but this is impacting my unconditional support for Saints for the first time since I started supporting Saints in 1966.
Martin Semmens podcast on 15:50 - Oct 15 with 688 viewsDorsetIan

Martin Semmens podcast on 14:52 - Oct 15 by PaleRider

I am intrigued to know from the financial experts on here:

1) How much have either of the owners actually invested into the club and in what form -debt or equity? BTW - buying shares from someone else is NOT investing into the club;
2) How much money have either of the owners actually taken out of the club and in what form - dividends, loan repayments, interest or buying back shares?

I have a feeling that the net spend in Gao's case is zero. I have no idea about Kat. However, the key point is that in order to grow/prosper there needs to be investment.

There are different models and I think that Brighton is an interesting example, where their community involvement seems much greater and the owner is Brighton through and through. However, their case is a little different as they have the backing of the major employer in the area - Amex.

I would like us to follow the Brighton model a bit more closely but realise that it may not be possible.

Unfortunately the debate on here has become increasingly polarised but what is abundantly clear is that something is not right - both on and off the pitch. I can only speak for myself but this is impacting my unconditional support for Saints for the first time since I started supporting Saints in 1966.

Answering these questions fully is not easy, as the public information is always a little out of date, having to wait for the end of the accounting year and then the filing of the accounts. It's also not that easy to get a full picture in the case of Saints because Goa's interests are held through companies outside the UK that you can't simply pop to Companies House to see.

All that said, when I have looked at previous sets of accounts, I haven't see anything inherently fishy i.e. large sums being withdrawn etc. The most worrying thing was the increase in the debt to third parties at high interest rates but that seemed to be there to cover Covid expenses rather than Gao borrowing to strip cash out.

For what it's worth, I can believe a lot of what Nick says about Gao - i.e that he isn't milking the club - I just think we're going nowhere for as long as he's in charge.

(The whole LDSports sponsorship malarkey was pretty ropey mind!)

Martin Semmens podcast on 16:47 - Oct 15 with 658 viewsBazza

Martin Semmens podcast on 15:50 - Oct 15 by DorsetIan

Answering these questions fully is not easy, as the public information is always a little out of date, having to wait for the end of the accounting year and then the filing of the accounts. It's also not that easy to get a full picture in the case of Saints because Goa's interests are held through companies outside the UK that you can't simply pop to Companies House to see.

All that said, when I have looked at previous sets of accounts, I haven't see anything inherently fishy i.e. large sums being withdrawn etc. The most worrying thing was the increase in the debt to third parties at high interest rates but that seemed to be there to cover Covid expenses rather than Gao borrowing to strip cash out.

For what it's worth, I can believe a lot of what Nick says about Gao - i.e that he isn't milking the club - I just think we're going nowhere for as long as he's in charge.

(The whole LDSports sponsorship malarkey was pretty ropey mind!)

Funny definition of investing here. Spending millions buying 80% company shares from another shareholder is investing in the club, though not adding cash or value to the company. If the company fails you will lose value in your shares.
Martin Semmens podcast on 17:11 - Oct 15 with 644 viewsPaleRider

Martin Semmens podcast on 16:47 - Oct 15 by Bazza

Funny definition of investing here. Spending millions buying 80% company shares from another shareholder is investing in the club, though not adding cash or value to the company. If the company fails you will lose value in your shares.

Hi Bazza - the implication here is that Gao has invested his money by buying shares of the club but he has not actually put any money into the club. All the money went to Kat - none of it went to Saints. As a result Saints have not had a single extra penny to spend.
Martin Semmens podcast on 19:04 - Oct 15 with 607 viewsDorsetIan

Martin Semmens podcast on 17:11 - Oct 15 by PaleRider

Hi Bazza - the implication here is that Gao has invested his money by buying shares of the club but he has not actually put any money into the club. All the money went to Kat - none of it went to Saints. As a result Saints have not had a single extra penny to spend.

Exactly this.

Martin Semmens podcast on 19:17 - Oct 15 with 603 viewsBazza

Martin Semmens podcast on 19:04 - Oct 15 by DorsetIan

Exactly this.

I agree with that, didn’t want any misunderstanding.
Of course putting up the money to buy 80% is a considerable commitment although we would all be a lot happier if Goa could find a few more millions down the back of his sofa, assuming China govt permitting.
Martin Semmens podcast on 20:52 - Oct 15 with 574 viewsdirk_doone

Martin Semmens podcast on 19:17 - Oct 15 by Bazza

I agree with that, didn’t want any misunderstanding.
Of course putting up the money to buy 80% is a considerable commitment although we would all be a lot happier if Goa could find a few more millions down the back of his sofa, assuming China govt permitting.

All of the money he borrowed is now stashed away in Kat's Swiss bank account.

[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 20:54]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Martin Semmens podcast on 23:53 - Oct 15 with 523 viewsRon11

Lose to Leeds tomorrow and that'll put the wind up 'em.
Martin Semmens podcast on 07:20 - Oct 16 with 478 viewsbarry_sanchez

Martin Semmens podcast on 09:01 - Oct 15 by Sadoldgit

You will always find fault with anyone running the club Barry. It is what you do. You wallow in misery and despair. You only appear on message boards when the results are poor. There is nothing wrong in being in the top tier if you are not one of the top four. Most clubs below us would give anything to be able to play the best week in week out. You are typical of a plastic fair weather supporter, you only want to compete if your are guaranteed plenty of wins. Life and football don’t work like that. For a club of our size we have done very well not to have become a yo-yo club and we have enjoyed several good cup runs. Not enough for you though. There is no guarantee that we would be competing in the Championship either. Imagine how miserable you would be if we were in relegation fights in the lower league for years 😉. I think most reasonable people can see that we have some good, dedicated people at the club doing their best in difficult circumstances. It would be tough enough under normal circumstances but the drop in revenue due to the pandemic has made things so much worse. You don’t have to look very far to see plenty of bigger clubs than ours languishing and struggling in the lower divisions. We could easily become another Sunderland. Would you be happy with that? To keep a club like ours in the Premier League is a “project” in itself and one that has been mostly successful. If it doesn’t provide you with what you want and makes you unhappy, perhaps you need to find another hobby (unless you really do want to be unhappy of course)

We've reached the ceiling, playing against the best doesn't mean we're competing does it?

Exactly how does me not being arsed if we're in the Championship or not constitute me being a fair weather fan?
Thats beyond reason.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2021 8:28]

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

Martin Semmens podcast on 07:22 - Oct 16 with 477 viewsbarry_sanchez

Its a gambled policy then, try to remain stable and retain premiership status whilst trying the put the minimum in to keep said status, what happens if we go down then?

I hope with the under investment he's factored that in?

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone

Martin Semmens podcast on 07:29 - Oct 16 with 476 viewsbarry_sanchez

Martin Semmens podcast on 14:27 - Oct 15 by DorsetIan

There's another pretty fundamental point here. Gao only owns 80% of the club. I would be extremely surprised if the other 20% shareholder didn't have to agree to any step which involves Gao asset stripping the Club.

At the very least the other 20% shareholder would demand equal treatment in terms of money out. More likely, she would have a power to block anything that she didn't agree with.

A 20% stake could be made worthless by an asset strip. She's not stupid.

I would say with near 100% certainty her 20% stake gives her a veto.

Martin Semmens podcast on 09:05 - Oct 16 with 420 viewsSadoldgit

Martin Semmens podcast on 07:20 - Oct 16 by barry_sanchez

We've reached the ceiling, playing against the best doesn't mean we're competing does it?

Exactly how does me not being arsed if we're in the Championship or not constitute me being a fair weather fan?
Thats beyond reason.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2021 8:28]

And yet we nearly beat City and came away with good draws against United and West Ham. Looks competitive to me. You want to go down to the Championship so that we will win more matches. If we did go down and lost matches you would still be moaning that the owner and the club are shite. You only appear when things aren’t going well. When there are you have nothing to say.
Martin Semmens podcast on 09:28 - Oct 16 with 407 viewsbarry_sanchez

Martin Semmens podcast on 09:05 - Oct 16 by Sadoldgit

And yet we nearly beat City and came away with good draws against United and West Ham. Looks competitive to me. You want to go down to the Championship so that we will win more matches. If we did go down and lost matches you would still be moaning that the owner and the club are shite. You only appear when things aren’t going well. When there are you have nothing to say.

The comfort blanket of us getting a draw against Manchester City either proves football is broken or we have low aspirations, I'd go for the former in this instance, regardless I'd rather be in a competitive league with something to aim for and have hope than this shite.

Martin Semmens podcast on 09:38 - Oct 16 with 395 viewsSadoldgit

Martin Semmens podcast on 09:28 - Oct 16 by barry_sanchez

The comfort blanket of us getting a draw against Manchester City either proves football is broken or we have low aspirations, I'd go for the former in this instance, regardless I'd rather be in a competitive league with something to aim for and have hope than this shite.

Again you ignore the point that we could still be shite in the Championship. And what is there to aim for in that league? Promotion to the Premiership. So why not just put the effort in trying to stay in the Premiership in the first place and cut out the yo-yoing? It is the aim of most clubs to be where we are but that isn’t good enough for you? We have had this exchange a million times it seems. Why bother, seriously? Find a club that matches your aspirations because Southampton FC has never been and in all likelihood will never be that club.
Martin Semmens podcast on 10:00 - Oct 16 with 386 viewsRon11

Martin Semmens podcast on 09:38 - Oct 16 by Sadoldgit

Again you ignore the point that we could still be shite in the Championship. And what is there to aim for in that league? Promotion to the Premiership. So why not just put the effort in trying to stay in the Premiership in the first place and cut out the yo-yoing? It is the aim of most clubs to be where we are but that isn’t good enough for you? We have had this exchange a million times it seems. Why bother, seriously? Find a club that matches your aspirations because Southampton FC has never been and in all likelihood will never be that club.

I agree about staying in the Premiership, and the Leeds game will be crucial for that ambition.
Lose or draw - then it will have to be the time to make the decision regarding Hassenhutl, otherwise there will be only on one road. Downhill.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024