Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The playing out from the back thing 09:49 - Sep 18 with 1203 viewsSonicBoom

One thing that struck me on Friday night was how we play from the back. At times I could not believe what I was seeing.
To me it means the keeper does not kick it long, he would pass to defenders that are in space, ideally left or right, but occasionally central defenders if they have space.
I was absolutely astonished to see us drop two players into our own penalty area almost alongside Bazunu. I was thinking well surely Bazunu won't give it to them now, but he did!
Of course Leicester immediately saw what we were doing and pushed right up onto us. This either resulted in some panicked passing and back to the keeper who hoofed it long - or Leicester nicked the ball and were suddenly defending desperately in our own box.
It was absolutely extraordinary - I was taught not to do that from the age of 6.

I cannot see any point at all. We are taking unnecessary chances in our own box and for what possible benefit??
All that happened is that Leicester suddenly knew they were in with a great chance of nicking the ball in our BOX. Our defence immediately looked nervous every time and you could tell they weren't at all happy doing it - and worst of all the crowd were then on Bazunu's back cos it looked like he was the one putting us in trouble but clearly he's been told to do that every time.
It totally handed Leicester all initiative and made everyone in the ground edgy. Can anyone explain it?
Playing from the back is great if the players receiving the ball have time and space. If not surely you go longer and try and win the ball further up. It's absolute basics and seeing as we are leaking goals for fun I cannot understand Martin insisting on doing it.
There seems to be this narrative that Martin is teaching the team and entirely new way to play football which is so complicated they are struggling to grasp it.
Seriously if your system takes experienced players 6 months to learn then frankly it is overcomplicated nonsense.
People write novels and get a degree in 6 months yet we can't teach footballers where to stand apparently.
The playing out from the back thing on 10:00 - Sep 18 with 1165 viewssaintwizzler

TBF a lot of teams do this.
It seems to be the way to play these days.
Which is ok if you have the players able to play it.
Simple passing ability and first touch helps.

It’s not going to change anytime soon, unfortunately.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

The playing out from the back thing on 10:07 - Sep 18 with 1145 viewsPatfromPoole

All depends on how the oppo treat this to my mind.

If they press and do it well, we aren’t good enough to stop them.

I would rather we dedicated more time in training to basic defending.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

The playing out from the back thing on 12:23 - Sep 18 with 1050 viewssledger

stupid thing was that 75% of the time we were pressured into kicking long anyway which left the forward players isolated as most of the team are still deep in our own half,meaning most of the time the team are disjointed and unable to play as a unit and therefore leaving masses of space for the other side.
The playing out from the back thing on 12:26 - Sep 18 with 1046 viewsBuenosSaint

The playing out from the back thing on 10:00 - Sep 18 by saintwizzler

TBF a lot of teams do this.
It seems to be the way to play these days.
Which is ok if you have the players able to play it.
Simple passing ability and first touch helps.

It’s not going to change anytime soon, unfortunately.

Yes, Brighton can do this and did it well against Man. U
If saints are prepared for the long haul and not wanting immediate results, rusty is basically trying to instill a culture of doing this. And probably they will improve.

But I get what the OP says. We are just nervous doing it. Brighton (and man c etc) look completely calm.

Poll: The Long Future

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024