Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Headers....... 20:09 - May 17 with 4534 viewsThaiHoop

So within 3 years all football up to U12 level will see a "deliberate header" punished with a free kick.... starting next season with the youngest age 😲

How long till that becomes a rule in football in general? 🤔
Headers....... on 20:13 - May 17 with 2570 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Headers are great, but I reckon I could live without them for the sake of giving people early dementia and brain damage.
Headers....... on 20:19 - May 17 with 2538 viewsCateLeBonR

Goodbye headers. Hello short corners.
Headers....... on 20:20 - May 17 with 2537 viewsThaiHoop

Headers....... on 20:13 - May 17 by BazzaInTheLoft

Headers are great, but I reckon I could live without them for the sake of giving people early dementia and brain damage.

Don't disagree, I am no expert on this subject and of course sympathise with anyone affected by this, though I think the balls used now coupled with the way the game is played in general must make a bit of a difference compared to the players of the past who were using lead weights as balls and experiencing far more "up and under" type football?

I should stress I wasn't necessarily saying it's a terrible idea, just was a bit surprised and also interested to hear people's thoughts
Headers....... on 20:38 - May 17 with 2483 viewshantssi

Headers....... on 20:20 - May 17 by ThaiHoop

Don't disagree, I am no expert on this subject and of course sympathise with anyone affected by this, though I think the balls used now coupled with the way the game is played in general must make a bit of a difference compared to the players of the past who were using lead weights as balls and experiencing far more "up and under" type football?

I should stress I wasn't necessarily saying it's a terrible idea, just was a bit surprised and also interested to hear people's thoughts

My dad and 2 of his best mates died from dementia, more than likely from heading those old heavy leather balls.
I’m not so sure, as mentioned above, the modern balls will have the same effect.
Headers....... on 20:48 - May 17 with 2451 viewsCateLeBonR

It would change the game completely a bit like the pass back rule. Who thinks tat was a bad idea?

I think you’d have to change other rules to make it work. Like i mentioned corners maybe you could have short corners and long corners like in Hockey? Also what’s the point in over head throw ins if you can’t head the ball? I guess goal kicks over the halfway line could be banned?

The game of football is built around heading the ball so maybe introducing those sorts of rules before banning them would make more sense? I think you’d need to make heading the ball less necessary first.
[Post edited 17 May 20:54]
Headers....... on 22:02 - May 17 with 2335 viewsHastings_Hoops

I still remember that darren peacock header in front of the loft to put us 2-0 up against Chelsea in 1992… you could hear the thud so clearly as it rocketed into the top corner. Long live that header..

Are the suspected football related cases of dementia associated with the heavy footballs of the pre-80’s? Can they make footballs a little lighter again still? … not 99p football light; but slightly lighter.
[Post edited 18 May 8:51]
Headers....... on 23:25 - May 17 with 2221 viewsstowmarketrange

Headers....... on 20:19 - May 17 by CateLeBonR

Goodbye headers. Hello short corners.

That’s all we ever take anyway.The opposition have to change the 1st defender from our corners or he’d get concussed during one half of our games.
Headers....... on 23:27 - May 17 with 2213 viewsessextaxiboy

The ex players who have suffered played with different balls , equipment improvement has reduced and maybe removed the risk .
The players also have a choice , heading or playing at all is not compulsory.
Under 12s maybe , but not for any older
Login to get fewer ads

Headers....... on 07:40 - May 18 with 2016 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

A good friend of my Dad's was diagnosed with alzheimers aged 62. It can't be proved definitively that heading a ball caused it, but we are pretty convinced it did. He played mens football, as a centre back, from aged 15 until early 50s at a pretty good level. Those footballs back then were like medicine balls.

Personally I think heading should be banned until adult football. The brain is still developing.
Headers....... on 10:15 - May 18 with 1856 viewsstainrods_elbow

Headers....... on 07:40 - May 18 by Wilkinswatercarrier

A good friend of my Dad's was diagnosed with alzheimers aged 62. It can't be proved definitively that heading a ball caused it, but we are pretty convinced it did. He played mens football, as a centre back, from aged 15 until early 50s at a pretty good level. Those footballs back then were like medicine balls.

Personally I think heading should be banned until adult football. The brain is still developing.

But where does that analysis leave the likes of Taylor Richards? Isn't it fairly clear his brain (if indeed he has one) is still developing too?

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Headers....... on 10:42 - May 18 with 1835 viewsrrrspricey

So if this becomes a rule across all football, will heading a ball becomes the same as handball and therefore eliminating defensive headers off the line etc?
Headers....... on 10:51 - May 18 with 1816 viewsDorse

From a safety point of view, I think this has to be taken seriously. Most of us here have played or have kids that do - we owe it to all concerned to have a proper look at this.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Headers....... on 11:00 - May 18 with 1793 viewsNorthernr

At those age groups it's hard to argue against, although tbh if you watch/referee games at that level it's barely an issue - small sided football on tiny pitches with little goals, a lot of them can't kick the ball off the ground anyway, the heading is minimal/non existent.

What would/will be a shame is when it starts to creep up through the ranks into the professional game over the next decade or so, fundamentally changing the sport as a spectacle for the worse. Seen it in both codes of rugby, driven into over-refereed penalty fests by lawyers and university professors because if anybody gets tackled above the stomach they might explode into a thousand pieces. And you can't have a debate with anybody about this because they just go "oh so you're in favour of 12 year olds getting dementia are you then right fine".

I think I'm much more on the side of freedom of choice. We let people drink. You put all the science and the warnings out there, and you let them make their own choice.

If you play rugby, you might occasionally get hit in the head. If you don't want to get hit in the head, don't play rugby.
If you play football, you might occasionally have to head the ball. If you don't want to head the ball, don't play football.
Headers....... on 11:24 - May 18 with 1752 viewsjohann28

Counter-productive move in my view.

1. It may impede young players from developing safer heading technique in the future. If we do not teach players how to safely head the ball, then we could actually be exposing them to a higher risk of concussion at a later date.

2. Purposeful heading is a skill integral to the game - for example, between 20-25% of goals are scored by a header across international tournaments. A ban would therefore basically end the game as we know it.

3. Whether purposeful heading is associated with neurodegenerative diseases in later life is the subject of much debate, and still isn't conclusive.

4. We already have consistent coach education to  support the way children are taught the important foot based skills of football (through small sided games, playing out from the back, short corners etc) so that most heading is naturally minimised in children’s football. So, heading is normally introduced in football as part of their skill development as players get older (13-14) and transition to a full pitch.
Headers....... on 11:29 - May 18 with 1738 viewsOldPedro

Headers....... on 11:24 - May 18 by johann28

Counter-productive move in my view.

1. It may impede young players from developing safer heading technique in the future. If we do not teach players how to safely head the ball, then we could actually be exposing them to a higher risk of concussion at a later date.

2. Purposeful heading is a skill integral to the game - for example, between 20-25% of goals are scored by a header across international tournaments. A ban would therefore basically end the game as we know it.

3. Whether purposeful heading is associated with neurodegenerative diseases in later life is the subject of much debate, and still isn't conclusive.

4. We already have consistent coach education to  support the way children are taught the important foot based skills of football (through small sided games, playing out from the back, short corners etc) so that most heading is naturally minimised in children’s football. So, heading is normally introduced in football as part of their skill development as players get older (13-14) and transition to a full pitch.

Number 1 in particular is a very good point.

I remember a few years ago, there was some talk about making rugby, in effect, non-contact for kids upto the age of 15/16, meaning that they would not learn how to tackle properly.

This would then be taught to 15/16 year olds, some of whom could be 14/15 stone. Much safer to learn the technique when players are younger and smaller.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Headers....... on 11:45 - May 18 with 1706 viewsHoopsie

So the new rule is trying to make football “foot”ball

You can’t handle the ball, now you can’t head the ball, it is just going to be all foot

Makes sense

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Headers....... on 11:51 - May 18 with 1688 viewscolinallcars

Trouble is we'd never again hear “ 'ere y'are son, on me 'ead “
Headers....... on 12:17 - May 18 with 1622 viewsEsox_Lucius

I stand to be corrected but I think the weight, circumference and permitted air pressure of the ball hasn't changed since before the 1950's. Materials certainly have.

The grass is always greener.

Headers....... on 12:47 - May 18 with 1583 viewsSpen

Headers....... on 11:00 - May 18 by Northernr

At those age groups it's hard to argue against, although tbh if you watch/referee games at that level it's barely an issue - small sided football on tiny pitches with little goals, a lot of them can't kick the ball off the ground anyway, the heading is minimal/non existent.

What would/will be a shame is when it starts to creep up through the ranks into the professional game over the next decade or so, fundamentally changing the sport as a spectacle for the worse. Seen it in both codes of rugby, driven into over-refereed penalty fests by lawyers and university professors because if anybody gets tackled above the stomach they might explode into a thousand pieces. And you can't have a debate with anybody about this because they just go "oh so you're in favour of 12 year olds getting dementia are you then right fine".

I think I'm much more on the side of freedom of choice. We let people drink. You put all the science and the warnings out there, and you let them make their own choice.

If you play rugby, you might occasionally get hit in the head. If you don't want to get hit in the head, don't play rugby.
If you play football, you might occasionally have to head the ball. If you don't want to head the ball, don't play football.

As said below, especially 5 and 7 aside football up to u10, you rarely see any player deliberately heading the ball so it won’t impact the play. In fact, most shy away from heading the ball at all.
When they move to u11 is when it could make a noticeable difference as that’s when mini soccer moves to 9 aside with an increase on pitch size. So things like corners could be impacted perhaps.
What they’ve also introduced is the removal of throw-ins for same ages. It’ll be a kick on or dribble on that you sometimes see implemented at grassroots tournaments.
Headers....... on 13:13 - May 18 with 1539 viewskensalriser

Headers....... on 12:17 - May 18 by Esox_Lucius

I stand to be corrected but I think the weight, circumference and permitted air pressure of the ball hasn't changed since before the 1950's. Materials certainly have.

1937, apparently, before which the regulation weight was 13-15 oz. Since then the regulation weight has been 14-16 oz.

I've never seen any research suggesting that brain damage or dementia among footballers is restricted to the time of older, heavier balls, in the absence of which I'd assume that narrative to be unevidenced. Of course the balls weren't heavier, but if we accept they did become heavier in wet conditions they would then travel more slowly, be in the air less often and softer on impact. I'm not sure when water resistant balls became a thing but I certainly had one in the mid 70s so it must have been before then.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Headers....... on 13:26 - May 18 with 1507 viewsMetallica_Hoop

One of my best goals was a diving header, I hit it so hard it went through the keepers hands and into the roof of the net.

To be fair as others have mentioned most kids will not head a ball anyway, I just hope it doesn't creep upwards.

All this headbanging is a tad disconcerting though, can't be good for the brain.
[Post edited 18 May 13:28]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Headers....... on 13:57 - May 18 with 1444 viewsBenny_the_Ball

I can understand protecting U12s as biologically they are still developing and aren't as robust as adults. However, I can't see this rule being adopted in the professional game.

The link between Dementia and Alzheimer's in ex-professional football players through heading a ball is yet to be fully determined. The research that has been conducted largely focused on comparing deaths of professional footballers born between 1900 and 1976 against the general population. Whilst there was some evidence of neurodegenerative disease amongst the test cases, studies could not tell us why that might be the case.

Whilst it's prudent to continue this research (particularly on modern-day professional footballers), it would be somewhat churlish to overstate the dangers now based on historic cases. Many of these individuals played in eras where footballs were heavy and footballers could kick lumps out of each other without so much as a word from the ref.

Dementia and Alzheimer's are both prevalent across society and neither is exclusive to football. Three members of my family have succumbed to these horrid ailments; none of them touched a football in their lives. This then begs the question as to whether the footballing victims would have contracted these syndromes regardless, a question that is impossible to answer.

Increased awareness as well as advances in modern technology should, of course, be the catalyst for further improvements in safety and sensible mitigation of risk. However, it should be understood and accepted that there will always be some risk just as there is when crossing the road, cutting timber, working on oil rigs, investing in stocks, undergoing surgery, smoking, drinking, gambling, etc.

We rightly protect our children from these risks but once you've reached adulthood you enjoy freedom of choice. Understand the risks, weigh-up your own personal aversion to these risks, and then make an educated decision whether or not it's for you.
[Post edited 18 May 14:29]
Headers....... on 14:27 - May 18 with 1411 viewsFG_R

In discussions like this it’s often better to listen to the scientific evidence rather than just the anecdotal evidence.

This following article is entitled 'Heading footballs causes decline in brain function' was the first I quickly came across. There are many more articles out there on the internet with similar conclusions.

https://translationalneuroimaging.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/The-Times-Headi

This second article finds 'higher rates of dementia among former professional footballers compared to the general population, with ex-footballers about 3.5 times more likely to die from a neurodegenerative disease, such as that which causes dementia, than men who didn’t play football professionally.'

https://theconversation.com/heading-the-ball-is-linked-to-cognitive-impairment-i
Headers....... on 14:37 - May 18 with 1387 viewsGloucs_R

Had a no headers rule in Gloucester for the last three seasons. At first it created a lot of high kicks but it settled down. Bit is a nightmare trying to defend corners but the kids adapt.

This year my lot go back to heading but only allowed to practice them once a month for no longer than ten minutes.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Headers....... on 14:47 - May 18 with 1370 viewscharmr

Some games I’ve refereed I have taken air out of a ball. Cheap ish balls can be too hard (c Finbar)

I imported some decent yellow Mitre balls for my teams. Train in and use them for games. Might sound ridiculous but when used I think better quality games and practices.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024