Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ray Clemence RIP 16:00 - Nov 15 with 712 viewsBicester_North

What a keeper. Any young goalkeepers playing in the 70’s and 80’s looked up to him.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Ray Clemence RIP on 16:12 - Nov 15 with 693 viewsBison

The big debate at the time was shilton or Clemence. My personal favourites were Gary Baily and Cities keeper Joe Corrigan.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Ray Clemence RIP on 16:27 - Nov 15 with 665 viewsBicester_North

Clemence and Shilts were shortarses compared to most keepers today as well, both 6ft.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Ray Clemence RIP on 16:52 - Nov 15 with 645 viewskingslandstand1

Ray Clemence RIP on 16:27 - Nov 15 by Bicester_North

Clemence and Shilts were shortarses compared to most keepers today as well, both 6ft.

Just think how many caps each would have got if they had not been playing at the same time
RIP
Ray Clemence RIP on 16:55 - Nov 15 with 642 viewsSadoldgit

Sad news. He was one of those names who was always around when I was growing up and followed England more closely. RIP
Ray Clemence RIP on 19:11 - Nov 15 with 568 viewsChesham_Saint

Sad news indeed. I remember when he was in goal for Spurs and Saints were stuffing them (I think 5-0) and the Milton Choir were taking the piss. He joined in with the humour wobbling his legs and pretending to chew his finger nails in mock trepidation. Compare and contrast with the awful Les Sealy who was flicking vs at the crowd behind his back when he was similarly mocked).

As someone has said, if he hadn’t coincided with Shilts he’d easily have racked up 100+ caps.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Ray Clemence RIP on 19:33 - Nov 15 with 544 viewsdwayne_dibley

will Liverpool use this as an excuse for five subs?

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Ray Clemence RIP on 20:41 - Nov 15 with 517 viewsdirk_doone

Two Clemence games I remember in particular from that dominant Liverpool team of the 70s. The first was a Fifth Round FA Cup game at Anfield in 1971, which was the proverbial game of two halves. Liverpool dominated the first half and took a deserved 1-0 lead. Then, in the second half, Davies, Channon, Paine et al laid siege to the Liverpool goal and threw everything bar the kitchen sink at Clemence. We were so dominant that you could hear the 5,000 Saints' fans above the 45,000 Liverpool ones, who were stunned into silence for most of that half. Ron Davies could have had a hat-trick but Clemence made a string of brilliant saves and somehow Liverpool clung on to their lead.

We left feeling slightly aggrieved, as we should have come away with at least a draw, but with grudging respect for Clemence. The station afterwards was interesting as Everton had played a home tie v Derby with the same kick-off time and the Southampton and Derby trains were lined up alongside each other. In those days, any set of fans of another team and 'you couldn't let it lie'.

The second was the 1976 Charity Shield, which ended with the same 1-0 scoreline, with a similar outstanding performance from Clemence. Toshack scored early in the second half after the ball was headed down to him by Keegan.

I've never seen so many drunk Saints' fans in my life. For their troubles, the Liverpool team got pelted with cans and bottles at the tunnel end. They put netting up to protect the players after that and eventually a roof over the players' entrance tunnel.

Clemence was one of those players who was respected by fans of all clubs. RIP.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2020 21:35]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Ray Clemence RIP on 20:52 - Nov 15 with 500 viewsChesham_Saint

Ray Clemence RIP on 20:41 - Nov 15 by dirk_doone

Two Clemence games I remember in particular from that dominant Liverpool team of the 70s. The first was a Fifth Round FA Cup game at Anfield in 1971, which was the proverbial game of two halves. Liverpool dominated the first half and took a deserved 1-0 lead. Then, in the second half, Davies, Channon, Paine et al laid siege to the Liverpool goal and threw everything bar the kitchen sink at Clemence. We were so dominant that you could hear the 5,000 Saints' fans above the 45,000 Liverpool ones, who were stunned into silence for most of that half. Ron Davies could have had a hat-trick but Clemence made a string of brilliant saves and somehow Liverpool clung on to their lead.

We left feeling slightly aggrieved, as we should have come away with at least a draw, but with grudging respect for Clemence. The station afterwards was interesting as Everton had played a home tie v Derby with the same kick-off time and the Southampton and Derby trains were lined up alongside each other. In those days, any set of fans of another team and 'you couldn't let it lie'.

The second was the 1976 Charity Shield, which ended with the same 1-0 scoreline, with a similar outstanding performance from Clemence. Toshack scored early in the second half after the ball was headed down to him by Keegan.

I've never seen so many drunk Saints' fans in my life. For their troubles, the Liverpool team got pelted with cans and bottles at the tunnel end. They put netting up to protect the players after that and eventually a roof over the players' entrance tunnel.

That was when the Charity Shield was actually used as a shield, and that’s for real.

Login to get fewer ads

Ray Clemence RIP on 21:13 - Nov 15 with 485 viewsA1079

Ray Clemence was a great keeper at a time when we were not short of good keepers - Shilton and Corrigan were also prominent then.

He was always a decent understated person who just got on with the job. He played for Liverpool when I had some time for them as a club and a team but also played for Spurs, who I have always struggled to admire at all but Clemence was one of those players that there was universal respect for irrespective of who he played for.

The much maligned Fabio Capello said some really nice words this evening. It seems they struck up a lovely friendship.
Ray Clemence RIP on 23:03 - Nov 15 with 441 viewsSadoldgit

Ray Clemence RIP on 20:41 - Nov 15 by dirk_doone

I actually thought that we played better in the Charity Shield against Liverpool in the Charity Shield than United in the cup, but we won the important match of the two.
Ray Clemence RIP on 15:10 - Nov 16 with 364 viewsChesham_Saint

Ray Clemence RIP on 23:03 - Nov 15 by Sadoldgit

I actually thought that we played better in the Charity Shield against Liverpool in the Charity Shield than United in the cup, but we won the important match of the two.

The Wembley coach park was also (like against man u) a little, er, frantic' that day too...

Ray Clemence RIP on 15:23 - Nov 16 with 359 viewsSadoldgit

Ray Clemence RIP on 15:10 - Nov 16 by Chesham_Saint

The Wembley coach park was also (like against man u) a little, er, frantic' that day too...

I was sat amongst a large number of United supporters and as we walked out down the steps at the end there was a rain of bottles from the top of the steps. They were throwing them at their own supporters.
Ray Clemence RIP on 15:27 - Nov 16 with 354 viewsChesham_Saint

Ray Clemence RIP on 15:23 - Nov 16 by Sadoldgit

I was sat amongst a large number of United supporters and as we walked out down the steps at the end there was a rain of bottles from the top of the steps. They were throwing them at their own supporters.

Man U fans? Quality, eh?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024