Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon 09:01 - Feb 7 with 10288 viewsjackb

Are there downsides to this, must be some I suppose but looks pretty positive on the whole, would be amazing to see it come to fruition

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-26072805

http://www.tidallagoonswanseabay.com/film.aspx
Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 18:17 - Feb 11 with 1854 viewsDyfnant

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 17:48 - Feb 11 by johnlangy

I believe what he said was that the Severn barrage, which he is in favour of, would produce something like 50 (can't remember the actual number but it's big) times the power output of the lagoon. The barrage would produce about 6% of the UK's entire power needs. So if 50 is the correct number we'd need 50 lagoons to generate the same amount of power. The lagoon is costing about £700 million so 50 would cost about £35 billion. And i'm certain that there aren't 50 coastal areas in the UK with a tide capacity of Swansea Bay so they couldn't be built anyway. And the barrage would cost a fraction of £35 billion.

From what i've heard the lagoon idea does sound good but so far we have only had the development companies spin on it, which, unsurprisingly, is positive. I haven't heard much about the negative aspects. Maybe we should hear that side of things before we comment.

Strangely enough, the area with the worlds largest tidal range is still struggling to develop
a tidal barrage. Hain only prefers it because his fingers are deep in that pie

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 18:48 - Feb 11 with 1830 viewsScotia

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 17:48 - Feb 11 by johnlangy

I believe what he said was that the Severn barrage, which he is in favour of, would produce something like 50 (can't remember the actual number but it's big) times the power output of the lagoon. The barrage would produce about 6% of the UK's entire power needs. So if 50 is the correct number we'd need 50 lagoons to generate the same amount of power. The lagoon is costing about £700 million so 50 would cost about £35 billion. And i'm certain that there aren't 50 coastal areas in the UK with a tide capacity of Swansea Bay so they couldn't be built anyway. And the barrage would cost a fraction of £35 billion.

From what i've heard the lagoon idea does sound good but so far we have only had the development companies spin on it, which, unsurprisingly, is positive. I haven't heard much about the negative aspects. Maybe we should hear that side of things before we comment.

Excellent comment.

My problem with this scheme is the absurd claims that the company are making, purely 'trying to get everyone on side.

They are planning on a shellfish farm - would you eat anything grown in the discharge from Swansea bay sewage works?

A water sports centre - would you swim in a sewage works discharge, confined in a small lagoon?

You'll be able to fish from it - a wall about 3km from the shore in the direction of the prevailing wind, not a chance, we're not even allowed to fish from the east pier and breakwater due to safety concerns.

A half marathon / triathlon - imagine training for months for an event only for it to be cancelled because it's a bit windy.

A visitor centre - if they are going to build lagoons everywhere, why would anyone come to see the one in swansea?

I've been to a number of meetings with this company and they are pretty amateurish and incredibly naive.

Anyone who 's seen their claims would obviously be all for it, it looks amazing, but wait until the authorities have responded to their planning and marine licence applications, and then decide if it's worth sacrificing Swansea bay as you know it for.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2014 19:41]
Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 00:10 - Feb 12 with 1798 viewssingalongajack

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 18:48 - Feb 11 by Scotia

Excellent comment.

My problem with this scheme is the absurd claims that the company are making, purely 'trying to get everyone on side.

They are planning on a shellfish farm - would you eat anything grown in the discharge from Swansea bay sewage works?

A water sports centre - would you swim in a sewage works discharge, confined in a small lagoon?

You'll be able to fish from it - a wall about 3km from the shore in the direction of the prevailing wind, not a chance, we're not even allowed to fish from the east pier and breakwater due to safety concerns.

A half marathon / triathlon - imagine training for months for an event only for it to be cancelled because it's a bit windy.

A visitor centre - if they are going to build lagoons everywhere, why would anyone come to see the one in swansea?

I've been to a number of meetings with this company and they are pretty amateurish and incredibly naive.

Anyone who 's seen their claims would obviously be all for it, it looks amazing, but wait until the authorities have responded to their planning and marine licence applications, and then decide if it's worth sacrificing Swansea bay as you know it for.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2014 19:41]

the visitors centre NEEDS to be a world class restaurant.
i agree the visual impact will be huge
Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 00:25 - Feb 13 with 1760 viewsfelixstowe_jack

What is this sewage discharge he keeps mentioning? It has long since been illegal to discharge untreated sewage into the sea or a river. Welsh water spent years digging the roads of Swansea up to divert all the sewers to a central sewage work the only thing that comes out at the end of the process is clean water.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 00:40 - Feb 13 with 1755 viewssingalongajack

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 00:25 - Feb 13 by felixstowe_jack

What is this sewage discharge he keeps mentioning? It has long since been illegal to discharge untreated sewage into the sea or a river. Welsh water spent years digging the roads of Swansea up to divert all the sewers to a central sewage work the only thing that comes out at the end of the process is clean water.

there's a large stormwater runoff comes out into fabians bay.
people go caving up it
Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 07:06 - Feb 13 with 1729 viewsDyfnant

I believe there's an allocated number of discharges allowed per site.
Gowertons is single figures I think but went over by a multiple of 10 last year.
I'm convinced I was swimming in scholl down Caswell last summer, the bay next around towards Oxwich has a discharge around there :(

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 07:59 - Feb 13 with 1723 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Storm water is rain not sewage.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 11:29 - Feb 13 with 1706 viewsDyfnant

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 07:59 - Feb 13 by felixstowe_jack

Storm water is rain not sewage.

Storm water over flow from treatment plants will have sewage in it

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 13:04 - Feb 13 with 1695 viewsBatterseajack

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 12:19 - Feb 9 by Catullus

I agree. The only thing that puzzles me is why are there so few turbines despite the size of the lagoon?
Is there a knowledgeable person who can enlighten me? I had expected to see a lot more, maybe twice as many. If the current prediction is enough power for 55-60000 homes, why not upscale?
I don;t know how much it will cost per unit but I do believe if we are talking renewables and the running costs are not exorbitant, that government should be doing this kind of thing. Private business always profiteers. I have a huge bee in my bonnet about power companies and private investment. And if the government was reaping the profits, our taxes could be lowered or our services given more investment.
I was told recently that Sweden has a higher tax rate for the rich than us and there aren't any complaints because they are societally better off than us. Most aspects are in a better condition, education, law and order and health, whatever you look at they are better. I don't know for sure if that's true but if it is our government needs to look at increasing revenue and privatised power certainly makes profits. Maybe it's time for government to hand out contracts of employment that are more like private business and take our national assets back. The day of the easy ride is over!!

I'm no tidal engineer, but I am an engineer.

I would imagine that each turbine requires a set volume of water to pass through each tidal cycle. If you had too many turbines for a set volume of water in the lagoon, water would drain too quickly and the difference in water level in the lagoon and sea would not be enough to drive the turbines to their optimum level. If you had too few turbines, the increased difference in water levels would mean that not enough water is drained during the cycle resulting a lag in electrical generation when the tides reverse.

If you want more turbines, you need a bigger lagoon.

EDIT: Dynfants already answered this question
[Post edited 13 Feb 2014 13:07]
Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 18:03 - Feb 13 with 1671 viewsScotia

It's the swansea east sewage works discharge. The works is off Fabian way and looks a bit like the teletubby house. Under normal conditions the effluent is discharged (treated) right in to the centre of where the lagoon may be, in flood conditions a lot of the sewage flow by passes the works and is discharged untreated directly at the same place. This happens at all sewage works and is often the reason why bathing water quality gets hammered, beaches lose blue flag status and you often find condoms, toilet paper and sanitary towels on the beach.

Its marked in the bay with a couple of yellow buoys just off the breakwater.

Even when the effluent is treated there are still loads of fish and birds hanging around in the area. You can guess what they are eating! And that will be going straight in to the much more concentrated and less well mixed lagoon. Good luck to anyone who fancies taking a dip in there, I won't be joining them.
Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 20:51 - Feb 13 with 1644 viewsBanosswan

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 18:03 - Feb 13 by Scotia

It's the swansea east sewage works discharge. The works is off Fabian way and looks a bit like the teletubby house. Under normal conditions the effluent is discharged (treated) right in to the centre of where the lagoon may be, in flood conditions a lot of the sewage flow by passes the works and is discharged untreated directly at the same place. This happens at all sewage works and is often the reason why bathing water quality gets hammered, beaches lose blue flag status and you often find condoms, toilet paper and sanitary towels on the beach.

Its marked in the bay with a couple of yellow buoys just off the breakwater.

Even when the effluent is treated there are still loads of fish and birds hanging around in the area. You can guess what they are eating! And that will be going straight in to the much more concentrated and less well mixed lagoon. Good luck to anyone who fancies taking a dip in there, I won't be joining them.

So this couldn't be piped outside the lagoon?

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 22:04 - Feb 13 with 1621 viewsScotia

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 20:51 - Feb 13 by Banosswan

So this couldn't be piped outside the lagoon?

Yeah it could, but at the moment the lagoon company haven't even addressed the fact it exists. They've chosen to ignore it as they have done with every other possible negative aspect and published a load of guff instead.

It could be moved, but would cost a fortune which hasn't been budgeted for so far, and there is no way on earth welsh water (basically the bill payer) will pay.

It would have to be paid for by whoever builds the lagoon, unless they are happy for it to float around inside. Unfortunately this would probably make it a bit difficult to sell the oysters and mussels they want to grow in there aswell as putting off people they want to encourage to windsurf and stuff in there. Personally I wouldn't visit a centre to view turbines covered in dirty nappies, would you?
Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 22:31 - Feb 13 with 1605 viewsDyfnant

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 22:04 - Feb 13 by Scotia

Yeah it could, but at the moment the lagoon company haven't even addressed the fact it exists. They've chosen to ignore it as they have done with every other possible negative aspect and published a load of guff instead.

It could be moved, but would cost a fortune which hasn't been budgeted for so far, and there is no way on earth welsh water (basically the bill payer) will pay.

It would have to be paid for by whoever builds the lagoon, unless they are happy for it to float around inside. Unfortunately this would probably make it a bit difficult to sell the oysters and mussels they want to grow in there aswell as putting off people they want to encourage to windsurf and stuff in there. Personally I wouldn't visit a centre to view turbines covered in dirty nappies, would you?

Water sports!?! Bit like a selling point for the new Heathrow runway being kite surfing

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024