Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Off Topic...The Clash 19:25 - Mar 8 with 9560 viewsToast_R

Were they all that?

Made some great singles in Casbah, Fought The Law and my fave Whiteman in Hammersmith Palais, but also a lot of album filling dross. Also, did they get too commercial once the Punk scene died?

I know there are some big Clash fans o here, please enlighten me.

[Post edited 8 Mar 2014 19:26]
Off Topic...The Clash on 19:37 - Mar 8 with 5235 viewsdanehoop

Awesome band. End of.

Never knowingly understood

Off Topic...The Clash on 20:08 - Mar 8 with 5156 viewsizlingtonhoop

Silly question
Off Topic...The Clash on 20:10 - Mar 8 with 5155 viewsDWQPR

Quite simply the greatest band ever. Disagree with albums were fills with dross, suspect that is an aside aimed at Sandinista which once you get used to it is a fantastic album. One of the very few English bands to break America during their day. Only saw them once at the Lyceum during the Radio Clash tour in October 1981 and they were on stage for three hours! Try any of today's bands and see if they spend half that time on stage.

The music of the Clash remains timeless and more and more you here tracks on various TV programmes let alone every London football club playing London's Calling, and yet when I here it before a game at LR I know that this song really does belong to QPR with out links with Mick Jones.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Off Topic...The Clash on 20:12 - Mar 8 with 5148 viewsEalingRanger

They were boss. Met Paul Simonon once and he seemed like a nice bloke.
Off Topic...The Clash on 20:14 - Mar 8 with 5136 viewsTacticalR

Never did anything for me.

Air hostess clique

Off Topic...The Clash on 20:16 - Mar 8 with 5126 viewsizlingtonhoop

Best band ever?

That argument could go on for ever.

But jeez

So good!
Off Topic...The Clash on 20:16 - Mar 8 with 5125 viewsDylanP

I was a huge Clash fan growing up. They definitely shaped by childhood, musically. The first two albums are classics -- The Clash and Give Em Enough Rope. Every track on the first two albums are good. After that they went on various paths; some OK some not -- there are good songs here and there but lots of stuff isn't very interesting.

In a way the paths of The Clash and U2 are kinda similar. Both started out with superb stuff but both got too popular and produced a lot of stuff later in that isn't all that. Obviously, U2 have gone on for a lot longer (much too long, in my opinion). Boy and War aren't as good (or as musically important) as The Clash and Give Em Enough Rope, but they were two great albums nevertheless.

The Clash were the major trendsetters of their generation. They showed that punk could have brains and social awareness/consiousness. So many of the great punk bands site the Clash as their major influence (I doubt anyone sites U2 in the same way).

IMO obviously.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2014 20:22]

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Off Topic...The Clash on 20:26 - Mar 8 with 5096 viewsthame_hoops

Off Topic...The Clash on 20:16 - Mar 8 by DylanP

I was a huge Clash fan growing up. They definitely shaped by childhood, musically. The first two albums are classics -- The Clash and Give Em Enough Rope. Every track on the first two albums are good. After that they went on various paths; some OK some not -- there are good songs here and there but lots of stuff isn't very interesting.

In a way the paths of The Clash and U2 are kinda similar. Both started out with superb stuff but both got too popular and produced a lot of stuff later in that isn't all that. Obviously, U2 have gone on for a lot longer (much too long, in my opinion). Boy and War aren't as good (or as musically important) as The Clash and Give Em Enough Rope, but they were two great albums nevertheless.

The Clash were the major trendsetters of their generation. They showed that punk could have brains and social awareness/consiousness. So many of the great punk bands site the Clash as their major influence (I doubt anyone sites U2 in the same way).

IMO obviously.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2014 20:22]

Anyone seen the joe strummer subway at edgeware road?

Good band but Not as good as green day
[Post edited 8 Mar 2014 20:27]
Login to get fewer ads

Off Topic...The Clash on 20:29 - Mar 8 with 5092 viewsMrSheen

Off Topic...The Clash on 20:10 - Mar 8 by DWQPR

Quite simply the greatest band ever. Disagree with albums were fills with dross, suspect that is an aside aimed at Sandinista which once you get used to it is a fantastic album. One of the very few English bands to break America during their day. Only saw them once at the Lyceum during the Radio Clash tour in October 1981 and they were on stage for three hours! Try any of today's bands and see if they spend half that time on stage.

The music of the Clash remains timeless and more and more you here tracks on various TV programmes let alone every London football club playing London's Calling, and yet when I here it before a game at LR I know that this song really does belong to QPR with out links with Mick Jones.

Plenty of dull, border-line embarrassing filler on London Calling...does anyone play "Lovers' Rock", "Wrong Em Boyo" and "Spanish Bombs"? I loved them when they first appeared, but lost interest when they became a C&W band.

Fulham play London Calling because it has a line about them living by the river. It's destiny.
Off Topic...The Clash on 20:36 - Mar 8 with 5065 viewsizlingtonhoop

Off Topic...The Clash on 20:26 - Mar 8 by thame_hoops

Can anyone spell it?

Too easy on this site, but couldn't resist.

Quite like Spanish Bombs...
Off Topic...The Clash on 20:44 - Mar 8 with 5036 viewsizlingtonhoop

Off Topic...The Clash on 20:29 - Mar 8 by MrSheen

Plenty of dull, border-line embarrassing filler on London Calling...does anyone play "Lovers' Rock", "Wrong Em Boyo" and "Spanish Bombs"? I loved them when they first appeared, but lost interest when they became a C&W band.

Fulham play London Calling because it has a line about them living by the river. It's destiny.

We play London Calling because one of us wrote it!

12 no trumps!

F*** Fulham, and F*** their river!
Off Topic...The Clash on 20:49 - Mar 8 with 5029 viewsKendo_Nagasaki

Spanish Bombs is one that I play more than the obvious ones.

Psycho killer Qu'est-ce que c'est?

Off Topic...The Clash on 21:17 - Mar 8 with 4975 viewsDWQPR

Off Topic...The Clash on 20:26 - Mar 8 by thame_hoops

You are having a laugh aren't you?

Some if the later tracks on Sandinista such as Washington Bullets and Lightning Strikes are awesome to listen to. London Calling, considering it was a double LP to have so much quality music is more than a great achievement and deservedly was voted the greatest album of the 80's by Rolling Stone magazine. Their songs are great content, great lyrics commenting on social issues, or their own (Complete Control) and the energy they had on stage, quite frankly I have never seen another band compare.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Off Topic...The Clash on 21:27 - Mar 8 with 4950 viewshoopstilidie

Were they all that?

Yes.

Happy to help.

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

Off Topic...The Clash on 21:33 - Mar 8 with 4936 viewsBrightonhoop

Spanish Bombs is brilliant and relates to Strummers time in Granada and Almeria. There is a small Square in Granada dedicated to Joe called Placeta de Joe Strummer where he is supposed to have written SB and other songs. He certainly spent alot of time here.
Love lost in a Supermarket, London Calling, Spanish Bombs, the music stands up more perhaps now than ever.
Off Topic...The Clash on 21:49 - Mar 8 with 4905 viewsBasingstokeR

Brilliant band
Off Topic...The Clash on 22:25 - Mar 8 with 4855 viewsthame_hoops

Off Topic...The Clash on 21:17 - Mar 8 by DWQPR

You are having a laugh aren't you?

Some if the later tracks on Sandinista such as Washington Bullets and Lightning Strikes are awesome to listen to. London Calling, considering it was a double LP to have so much quality music is more than a great achievement and deservedly was voted the greatest album of the 80's by Rolling Stone magazine. Their songs are great content, great lyrics commenting on social issues, or their own (Complete Control) and the energy they had on stage, quite frankly I have never seen another band compare.

Off Topic...The Clash on 22:33 - Mar 8 with 4839 viewsPommyhoop

Yes .Definately.!!

One for H perhaps? Or even Uncle Tone?

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Off Topic...The Clash on 23:05 - Mar 8 with 4803 viewsBrightonhoop

Off Topic...The Clash on 02:20 - Mar 9 with 4728 viewsKendo_Nagasaki

Off Topic...The Clash on 23:05 - Mar 8 by Brightonhoop

My favourite track with "Andalucia" in the lyrics.

Off Topic...The Clash on 02:32 - Mar 9 with 4717 viewsPommyhoop

Off Topic...The Clash on 02:20 - Mar 9 by Kendo_Nagasaki

My favourite track with "Andalucia" in the lyrics.

Close run thing tho eh?

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Off Topic...The Clash on 02:45 - Mar 9 with 4714 viewsKendo_Nagasaki

Off Topic...The Clash on 02:32 - Mar 9 by Pommyhoop

Close run thing tho eh?

For rhyming "Andalucia" with...."when can I seeya?" I'm going to put our Welsh friend in runner-up position.

Quite a nice song. I loved his "awkward" violin playing.

Off Topic...The Clash on 08:36 - Mar 9 with 4640 viewsBluce_Ree

Andalucia you say?

My brother loves The Clash and says the first album is perfect. I maybe agree with Toast. The singles are amazing, especially London Calling. But the other tracks don't seem to do it for me.

As for being too commercial when punk died, I think most bands got better. Cure, Killing Joke, Banshees. Much better when they went all experimental and moved away from the three chord stuff.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Off Topic...The Clash on 08:40 - Mar 9 with 4633 viewsToast_R

My brother liked his punk stuff and he said about the Clash that they were ok but The Damned pissed all over them.
(No subject) (n/t) on 08:41 - Mar 9 with 4633 viewsToast_R

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024