Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Alastair Cook 17:11 - Jul 27 with 3011 viewskeeponrockin

Decent innings today, but oh why is he still Captain.
Alastair Cook on 17:16 - Jul 27 with 1970 viewsexiledclaseboy

Because there's no one else to take over. Hopefully he's turned a corner now at least in terms of his own form.

Poll: Tory leader

Alastair Cook on 17:22 - Jul 27 with 1952 viewskeeponrockin

Alastair Cook on 17:16 - Jul 27 by exiledclaseboy

Because there's no one else to take over. Hopefully he's turned a corner now at least in terms of his own form.

As Nasser Hussain said; Cook has to ask himself the question if he were to leave would England miss his captaincy skills or would England miss his batting qualities>?

i.e. no England wouldn't notice if he left but they would if his batting is crap.

Eoin Morgan/Pietersen or even Root would be worth a crack. They are going to get slaughtered by aussies if they play safe
Alastair Cook on 17:25 - Jul 27 with 1944 viewsexiledclaseboy

Alastair Cook on 17:22 - Jul 27 by keeponrockin

As Nasser Hussain said; Cook has to ask himself the question if he were to leave would England miss his captaincy skills or would England miss his batting qualities>?

i.e. no England wouldn't notice if he left but they would if his batting is crap.

Eoin Morgan/Pietersen or even Root would be worth a crack. They are going to get slaughtered by aussies if they play safe

Morgan hasn't got the technique for Test cricket, Pietersen is persona non grata and his last stint as captain was a disaster and Root is still wet behind the ears. If there was an obvious choice Cook would have been out of the side after the Sri Lanka series.

Alastair Cook on 17:29 - Jul 27 with 1938 viewskeeponrockin

Alastair Cook on 17:25 - Jul 27 by exiledclaseboy

Morgan hasn't got the technique for Test cricket, Pietersen is persona non grata and his last stint as captain was a disaster and Root is still wet behind the ears. If there was an obvious choice Cook would have been out of the side after the Sri Lanka series.

I don't disagree with you, but for England to win the Ashes they have to take a punt on someone another one is Rob Key.

Graeme Smith was a brilliant Captain for S.Africa he became Captain in his early 20's.

Even Bell might be worth a shot, I'm sick of Cook and his negative tactics.
Alastair Cook on 17:31 - Jul 27 with 1934 viewskeeponrockin

BTW the S.African Ballance looks a quality player.
Alastair Cook on 17:33 - Jul 27 with 1928 viewsexiledclaseboy

Alastair Cook on 17:29 - Jul 27 by keeponrockin

I don't disagree with you, but for England to win the Ashes they have to take a punt on someone another one is Rob Key.

Graeme Smith was a brilliant Captain for S.Africa he became Captain in his early 20's.

Even Bell might be worth a shot, I'm sick of Cook and his negative tactics.

Key is another one without the aptitude for the Test game. Graeme Smith was a special talent, they don't come along very often. Let's not forget that before this current (admittedly disastrous) run of defeats, Cook's much-vaunted but mostly mythical "negative" tactics won the Ashes and beat India in India. People used to say the same nonsense about Strauss when he was captain but he kept winning Test matches too.

Alastair Cook on 17:35 - Jul 27 with 1925 viewskeeponrockin

Alastair Cook on 17:33 - Jul 27 by exiledclaseboy

Key is another one without the aptitude for the Test game. Graeme Smith was a special talent, they don't come along very often. Let's not forget that before this current (admittedly disastrous) run of defeats, Cook's much-vaunted but mostly mythical "negative" tactics won the Ashes and beat India in India. People used to say the same nonsense about Strauss when he was captain but he kept winning Test matches too.

That was a result of Strauss not Cook.

Strauss was Conservative, he wasn't negative. There's a difference.
Alastair Cook on 17:35 - Jul 27 with 1925 viewsdickythorpe

Ballance's carrer average was before he got capped over 50. Already in 6 tests he is averaging 67. Hope he continues!

No obvious captaincy candidates if Cook was to lose it. A confidence boosting knock for him today that will lift him and the whole squad.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2014 17:35]
Login to get fewer ads

Alastair Cook on 17:36 - Jul 27 with 1920 viewsexiledclaseboy

Alastair Cook on 17:35 - Jul 27 by keeponrockin

That was a result of Strauss not Cook.

Strauss was Conservative, he wasn't negative. There's a difference.

So Cook's England team winning in India and winning the Ashes was down to Andrew Strauss, who spent those entire two series in the Sky commentary box?

Alastair Cook on 17:37 - Jul 27 with 1918 viewskeeponrockin

Alastair Cook on 17:35 - Jul 27 by dickythorpe

Ballance's carrer average was before he got capped over 50. Already in 6 tests he is averaging 67. Hope he continues!

No obvious captaincy candidates if Cook was to lose it. A confidence boosting knock for him today that will lift him and the whole squad.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2014 17:35]

I'd happily have Eoin Morgan as both Michael Vaughan & Beefy have said in there as he is tactically strong and a leader with an average of 30.

They need some spark, get KP back in there as well. It's drifting back to Athers era.
Alastair Cook on 17:40 - Jul 27 with 1912 viewsdickythorpe

Morgan is not good enough for Test level, even Glammy sorted him out yesterday at the format he is supposed to be so good at.

Yorkshire batsmen like Lyth and Lees are ready to step up and I maybe Hales and Taylor of Notts.
Alastair Cook on 17:41 - Jul 27 with 1910 viewsexiledclaseboy

Alastair Cook on 17:40 - Jul 27 by dickythorpe

Morgan is not good enough for Test level, even Glammy sorted him out yesterday at the format he is supposed to be so good at.

Yorkshire batsmen like Lyth and Lees are ready to step up and I maybe Hales and Taylor of Notts.

Plenty of talent out there but England are rightly wary of chucking it all in at the same time. Three changes for today's game was a bit of a surprise. I like Jordan, not so sure about Woakes and Buttler will be tested as 'keeper. It's a big step up for him.

Alastair Cook on 21:17 - Aug 15 with 1823 viewskeeponrockin

Well, well, well.

I'm not shifting from my position though but we're stuck with Cook for next Ashes. India are crap, let's be frank.

As usual a few wins and people think we're back in the game.

Let's see what happens when Mitchell Johnson is bowling >90mph and snarling at out batsman with the talent of Clarke et al in batting and aggressive fields.

Hope I'm wrong.
Alastair Cook on 21:21 - Aug 15 with 1815 viewsDr_Winston

England have a habit of dumping the captaincy on their best player and it often doesn't pay off.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Alastair Cook on 21:22 - Aug 15 with 1812 viewsexiledclaseboy

Alastair Cook on 21:17 - Aug 15 by keeponrockin

Well, well, well.

I'm not shifting from my position though but we're stuck with Cook for next Ashes. India are crap, let's be frank.

As usual a few wins and people think we're back in the game.

Let's see what happens when Mitchell Johnson is bowling >90mph and snarling at out batsman with the talent of Clarke et al in batting and aggressive fields.

Hope I'm wrong.

Far too early to laud England as "back in the game" and no one has done that from what I can see. The team is still very much a work in progress and the Ashes are a year away. Not a huge amount of Test cricket between now and then mind you. Still fairly typical British mentality though from you, no credit to England for the admirable way they've come back after the disaster at Lord's. It's all because "India are crap".

Alastair Cook on 21:26 - Aug 15 with 1804 viewskeeponrockin

Alastair Cook on 21:22 - Aug 15 by exiledclaseboy

Far too early to laud England as "back in the game" and no one has done that from what I can see. The team is still very much a work in progress and the Ashes are a year away. Not a huge amount of Test cricket between now and then mind you. Still fairly typical British mentality though from you, no credit to England for the admirable way they've come back after the disaster at Lord's. It's all because "India are crap".

England have done well, but there's no question the indians don't have the stomach for a fight in English conditions,

I've never understood the hype with Indian players - many of the best in the World would get centuries coming out of their ears on their flat tracks.

My point in relation to Cook is based on what e.g. Michael Vaughan said "i was wrong" etc... bit early to jump the gun imo
Alastair Cook on 21:27 - Aug 15 with 1802 viewsAl_Bundy

James Vince or James Taylor will be future England captains.

New era beginning on the batting front..Robson i think may struggle against better bowling.
Alastair Cook on 21:28 - Aug 15 with 1801 viewsorion3016

Good to see all 4 seamers taking wickets today. Good toss to win and put the ball in the right places, helped with a few rash shots.
The turnaround is remarkable both in how much better England are and how the Indian batsmen are like rabbits in headlights
Credit to cook for staying strong and backing himself in the face of adversity. Hope he goes on to get another ton tom and this game could be wrapped up in 3 days again
[Post edited 15 Aug 2014 21:29]

Be over there now after

Alastair Cook on 21:31 - Aug 15 with 1789 viewskeeponrockin

Alastair Cook on 21:27 - Aug 15 by Al_Bundy

James Vince or James Taylor will be future England captains.

New era beginning on the batting front..Robson i think may struggle against better bowling.

Yep totally agree, should have stuck with Carberry he did well against the quicks in Australia. I think he was very hard done by.
Alastair Cook on 21:31 - Aug 15 with 1788 viewsexiledclaseboy

Alastair Cook on 21:26 - Aug 15 by keeponrockin

England have done well, but there's no question the indians don't have the stomach for a fight in English conditions,

I've never understood the hype with Indian players - many of the best in the World would get centuries coming out of their ears on their flat tracks.

My point in relation to Cook is based on what e.g. Michael Vaughan said "i was wrong" etc... bit early to jump the gun imo

Vaughan said he was wrong because he called for Cook to stand down after Lord's. He didn't feel that Cook was the man to lead the team. Two (likely three) wins later, he admitted that he got it wrong. He did.

India haven't won a series outside of India for years. The current batting line up has none of the talent of previous Indian sides.

It's no surprise that when Anderson and Broad bowl well, England win games. Been that way for some time.

Alastair Cook on 22:08 - Aug 15 with 1761 viewslonglostjack

I used to like his Letter from America

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Alastair Cook on 22:23 - Aug 15 with 1752 viewsdickythorpe

England are nowhere near being " back". Cook however was never in danger of losing the captaincy, the media had an agenda and just look at Shane Warne and now Vaughan changing their tunes.

Good to see Woakes and Jordan getting wickets - many were knocking them before a ball was bowled today!

Strength in depth is key and with 17 test matches next year many new faces need game time.
Alastair Cook on 22:25 - Aug 15 with 1749 viewsexiledclaseboy

Alastair Cook on 22:23 - Aug 15 by dickythorpe

England are nowhere near being " back". Cook however was never in danger of losing the captaincy, the media had an agenda and just look at Shane Warne and now Vaughan changing their tunes.

Good to see Woakes and Jordan getting wickets - many were knocking them before a ball was bowled today!

Strength in depth is key and with 17 test matches next year many new faces need game time.

17 Tests next year? Are you sure?

Alastair Cook on 22:26 - Aug 15 with 1748 viewsjackharris

It's been great to see the Gorseinon/ Gloustershire lad hitting back at the doubters.

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

Alastair Cook on 23:08 - Aug 15 with 1733 viewsdickythorpe

Alastair Cook on 22:25 - Aug 15 by exiledclaseboy

17 Tests next year? Are you sure?

The Sri Lanka tour is one day matches only not tests as i thought.

Plenty of one day stuff, a triangular series in Aus, then the World Cup.

West Indies tour is a 3 test series, then NZ come over for 2, then the 5 Ashes tests, then 3 tests in Pakistan in Oct, then theres a winter tour South Africa which we will potentially play 2 of the 4tests by end of Dec2015. So that is 15......
[Post edited 15 Aug 2014 23:10]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024