Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Penalties in football 23:25 - Oct 19 with 1262 viewsJackFish

Is it about time we stop giving penalties for any foul inside the box and only give spot kicks as punishment for denying a goalscoring opportunity? Neither Bony or Moses would have gone anywhere near scoring today. Bony was definitely fouled by Shawcross but should the punishment be an opportunity to score that's converted 80% of the time?

There's controversy pretty much every week regarding penalties given incorrectly or not given when they should have been, I think we'd be much better off saving them for exceptional circumstances and letting the actual football decide who wins instead.
Penalties in football on 23:33 - Oct 19 with 1246 viewsSwansNZ

Personally, I’d like football to have a TV match official, like they have in most other sports.

This is 2014, not 19 bloody 14 - Decisions need to be correct, not talking points.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Penalties in football on 23:33 - Oct 19 with 1245 viewsNeathJack

Couldn't agree more.

As you say, games are being swung on fouls that are innocous but result in game changing decisons.
Penalties in football on 10:55 - Oct 20 with 1134 viewsmikesoccer

Penalties in football on 23:33 - Oct 19 by NeathJack

Couldn't agree more.

As you say, games are being swung on fouls that are innocous but result in game changing decisons.

Without penalties, how to check foul...
Penalties in football on 11:22 - Oct 20 with 1109 viewsLeonisGod

No, fouls should be given as penalties. But we're getting to the position where it's almost any contact (except the wrestling at set pieces) is awarded as a foul. Which is wrong. There's no way Moses would have got a foul there anywhere other than in the box.
Penalties in football on 12:12 - Oct 20 with 1080 viewsJackFish

It just seems like a very arbitrary distinction - you foul someone just outside the 18 yard line and you get a free kick against you in a dangerous but not fatal position. Trip someone up inside the line when they're going nowhere and they get an almost guaranteed chance to score, regardless of whether they had any chance of scoring before they were fouled.

I'd much rather see penalties given for taking out someone going through on goal outside the box than for a push near the corner of the box, shoving/shirt pulling at corners.

I know it won't change, I just think the system is wrong.
Penalties in football on 12:17 - Oct 20 with 1075 viewsQuakerJack

One thing I would do, I'd slap an automatic five game ban on any player found to have dived. Even if the pen is given, the game should be looked at retrospectively by a panel of refs and if there is an agreement that a player simulated a foul inside the penalty area and wasn't punished by the official on the day but gained a pen, that player receives a five match ban.

otherwise, what's the point, just make diving legal and mainstream within the game.

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Penalties in football on 12:21 - Oct 20 with 1071 viewskarnataka

Penalties in football on 11:22 - Oct 20 by LeonisGod

No, fouls should be given as penalties. But we're getting to the position where it's almost any contact (except the wrestling at set pieces) is awarded as a foul. Which is wrong. There's no way Moses would have got a foul there anywhere other than in the box.

You're right, Moses wouldn't have got a foul anywhere else because he wouldn't have dived and thrown himself to the floor anywhere else.
Penalties in football on 12:36 - Oct 20 with 1054 viewsJackFish

Penalties in football on 12:17 - Oct 20 by QuakerJack

One thing I would do, I'd slap an automatic five game ban on any player found to have dived. Even if the pen is given, the game should be looked at retrospectively by a panel of refs and if there is an agreement that a player simulated a foul inside the penalty area and wasn't punished by the official on the day but gained a pen, that player receives a five match ban.

otherwise, what's the point, just make diving legal and mainstream within the game.

I don't think that they should get a 5 match ban, that's more than you get for violent conduct, but I certainly don't think a 1 match ban for an initial offense is excessive, and then you can increase that if they're found guilty again afterwards.
Login to get fewer ads

Penalties in football on 13:06 - Oct 20 with 1031 viewskarnataka

Penalties in football on 12:36 - Oct 20 by JackFish

I don't think that they should get a 5 match ban, that's more than you get for violent conduct, but I certainly don't think a 1 match ban for an initial offense is excessive, and then you can increase that if they're found guilty again afterwards.

But surely in cases like Ashley Young, that would class as restraint of trade, which is illegal.
Penalties in football on 14:13 - Oct 20 with 1006 viewsSkipTheJack

IMO penalties should only be given for fouls that deny a clear goalscoring chance (i.e. fouls that are currently deemed professional fouls and attract a red card). All other fouls should be punished with free kicks.

This would stop matches being decided by minor technical infringements and instead let them be settled by the skill of players. It would also take a lot of the pressure off referees.

The only reason players dive to win penalties is because the punishment is out of proportion to the offence.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024