Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Driverless Pod Metro in Swansea Bay 12:03 - Mar 18 with 1066 viewsPrivate_Partz

You will all be pleased to know I am considering not watching Sunday Morning TV any more .... I think at the moment anyway. ;-)
A Llanelli AM is now suggesting the Swansea Bay Region should not have a Metro but become a hotbed of driverless transport pod development. Using the area to experiment.
I shudder to I think how these will fare on our overcrowded farm track roads.
The world has gone mad.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2018 12:08]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Driverless Pod Metro in Swansea Bay on 12:56 - Mar 18 with 1016 viewsjack2jack

Well the Llanelli MP needs to get up to speed with developments down here.The Metro is all but dead, the only remaining buses are now used to transport students between the Bay Campus and The University.
As for his suggestion that yet again we be used as a 'guinea pig' for another hair brained scheme, which will waste yet more taxpayers hard earned, I politely suggest that he engage his brain, before he starts spouting anymore nonsense.
The Metro scheme was a waste of time and effort, and I said at the time it would fail, and fail it has, spectacularly.
What would be a great idea, is to spend the small amount of cash we are given, by improving the area further, and concentrate on the real issues affecting the City Centre and surrounding areas.
Driverless Pod Metro in Swansea Bay on 16:16 - Mar 18 with 943 viewsPrivate_Partz

Driverless Pod Metro in Swansea Bay on 12:56 - Mar 18 by jack2jack

Well the Llanelli MP needs to get up to speed with developments down here.The Metro is all but dead, the only remaining buses are now used to transport students between the Bay Campus and The University.
As for his suggestion that yet again we be used as a 'guinea pig' for another hair brained scheme, which will waste yet more taxpayers hard earned, I politely suggest that he engage his brain, before he starts spouting anymore nonsense.
The Metro scheme was a waste of time and effort, and I said at the time it would fail, and fail it has, spectacularly.
What would be a great idea, is to spend the small amount of cash we are given, by improving the area further, and concentrate on the real issues affecting the City Centre and surrounding areas.

I agree, but it is how we improve it is the problem. Small amounts of money will not do it.
We need a more compact City Centre and transport hubs. Either move the Station closer to the Quadrant or Vicky Verky. The City Centre development plans we have seen would suggest the latter is a complete non starter. A new rail station is pie on the sky despite some suggestions that have been put forward.
Our metro has only ever been Singleton Hospotal to Mortiston Hospital. You would have to be really sick to use that (sorry I couldn't help it ;-))
The sea front, Swansea Valley and Clyne Valley actually would lend themselves to a tram system. This would go some way to help sort out the major traffic problems in the City caused by both school and commuter traffic.
We will have plenty of ideas chucked at us but the only real developement will be in the SE of Wales. An area that already has the best transport infastructure.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Driverless Pod Metro in Swansea Bay on 19:25 - Mar 18 with 874 viewsjack2jack

Driverless Pod Metro in Swansea Bay on 16:16 - Mar 18 by Private_Partz

I agree, but it is how we improve it is the problem. Small amounts of money will not do it.
We need a more compact City Centre and transport hubs. Either move the Station closer to the Quadrant or Vicky Verky. The City Centre development plans we have seen would suggest the latter is a complete non starter. A new rail station is pie on the sky despite some suggestions that have been put forward.
Our metro has only ever been Singleton Hospotal to Mortiston Hospital. You would have to be really sick to use that (sorry I couldn't help it ;-))
The sea front, Swansea Valley and Clyne Valley actually would lend themselves to a tram system. This would go some way to help sort out the major traffic problems in the City caused by both school and commuter traffic.
We will have plenty of ideas chucked at us but the only real developement will be in the SE of Wales. An area that already has the best transport infastructure.

Agreed the bus and train station need to be on adjacent sites.It was possibly a mistake not to have keep the Victoria station and scrap the High street one, as for an integrated transport hub, I think we had one, when the trams existed, hindsight or p!ss poor planning or just plain criminal.
To get people out of their cars you either need to price them out, or more likely make it inconvenient, by poor roads, lack of parking facilities and slowing them down to a standstill with traffic throttles, you know lights, speed humps etc, but even these measures are failing to get us out of our tin boxes. Railfare are extortionate and buses are these days just not convenient unless you want to spend all day somewhere, and like you say, it's just not integrated or cheap enough, to temp people away from their cars.
As for the development of the city centre, will our generation even see it substantially complete, I doubt it, it's already taken 30 years to get where we are today, with the redevelopment of SA1 etc. Money and inward investment is going to be difficult especially as you say it's all going up the road, and stiffling investment else where.
It's a bit of a catch 22 on both fronts I'm afraid.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024